High school football rankings

• BigBenzo88 Herriman, UT
    Sept. 22, 2011 5:44 p.m.

@Olypride - I like your pride in your team...good for you. I don't know a lot about Olympus but win or lose...I don't think Herriman will get manhandled by you guys. I actually think we will be Skyline, Olympus and Westlake.

See, the thing people forget about Herriman is that we can score. Regardless of how weak people think our schedule is...it takes execution to get the ball into the endzone. We are 2nd in scoring in 4A and 4th in scoring in Utah. On top of that...our defense is increasingly getting better.

I'm expecting tough games from Skyline, Olympus and Westlake...but in the end, I believe we beat all 3. I have said all along that I believe that Herriman has the best chance in 4A to go 10-0, the best chance to win Region 7 and the best chance in 4A to go 14-0.

Seems to be a lot of Herriman Haterade consumed this week. I'm not sure why...but expect to be surprised by Herriman...win or lose...we are better than everyone thinks!!!!!

Herriman Mustangs!!!!.....the herd will trample all who oppose!

• Leatherhead Anchorage, AK
    Sept. 21, 2011 2:52 p.m.

Southside....I got it, you were being sarcastic. With over 70 Scholarship athletes in the past 10 years and no state titles it make you wonder if there was an extra digit added to the recruiting posters.

• Golden Helmet Salt Lake, UT
    Sept. 21, 2011 1:29 p.m.

Olypride in South Jordan? Has Oly now gone to bringing athletes in from out of area?

Herriman will beat Oly, but not Skyline or West Lake.

• SportsFan101 Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 21, 2011 12:43 p.m.

I do not know why my comment was denied but I shall re word it. I am under the strong opinion that herriman would not even make the playoffs in region 6.

• Olypride South Jordan, Utah
    Sept. 20, 2011 1:51 p.m.

You can talk about Herriman all you want right now but they will not win the region. They'll lose to us, Skyline and Westlake.
    Westlake will make the playoffs and will make a lot of noise in it (I will remind everyone of this prediction at the end). Even though we beat them 26-20, they physically beat us up. They may have the best D-Line in the state (#91, #52 and especially #50). They never blitzed us and our QB was either getting sacked or hit all night long (our coaches can tell you they were much better than any D-Line we played this year and last year).
    Once that team gets more disciplined (I know for a fact they had at least 20 penalties), they'll be able to play anyone.
    Herriman hasn't played anyone yet so let's not get out of hand until they play Skyline, us and Westlake.

Titans all the way.

• Davis Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 20, 2011 1:16 p.m.

Davis only allowed lone peak 21 points. 7 came on a busted coverage before half time. They have scored 35 points or more on every body else. They are good but by no means are they unbeatable.

• SirTipsALot65 Hurricane, UT
    Sept. 20, 2011 9:52 a.m.

• CalmDown Frost Free, Utah
    Sept. 20, 2011 12:55 a.m.

What happened? PV lost! Pay attention now; when you fail to score more than your opponent...you lose. No, the powers that are don't huddle up and consider who's "better than that", they simply look at the scoreboard and crown a winner. As for all those D1 players, Coach Nelson said it best during his post game radio interview,"maybe all those D1 schools should be looking at our boys"

Dixie 35 PV 33
    DHHS 21 PV 14

Not how it "could" or "should" be, how it is!

• LP Fan! Alpine, UT
    Sept. 19, 2011 11:55 p.m.

• mykaljordan draper, ut
    Sept. 19, 2011 10:18 p.m.

I know for a fact that JD respects Hurricane, my son plays for JD and Everyone associated with JD FOOTBALL starting with the coaches down to the players, talk highly about the Tigers.Just like the Tigers,JD doesnt buy into all this trash talk. Im looking forward to a great season as we get ready for region play,I wish the Tigers nothing but the best of luck.Maybe we will be blessed to have a rematch for state champs, but like you said one game at a time..Just wish I didnt have to make the 4 hr drive to vernal this weekend, as JD has to plays Uintah... LOL

GOOD LUCK TO ALL OUR STUDENT-ATHLETES as we all get ready for region..

• ADIDAS Tooele County, UT
    Sept. 19, 2011 9:54 p.m.

There won't be a Juan Diego/Hurricane final this year because they will be on the same side of bracket! Unless Hurricane somehow loses again, Like they did to cedar last year. The question is will one of the teams be beat in region or will they meet in semi's?? I would love to see hurricane beat JD in semi's!

• Whiteshoes Hurricane, UT
    Sept. 19, 2011 9:34 p.m.

We are proud of our Tigers, no doubt. They are hard-working kids and love to play football. We respect JD and don't buy into the trash-talking. The Soaring Eagle had an off-game--that's all. JD respects Hurricane as well. Our three finals games have gone to the wire and know that the games were evenly played. As for the other 3A teams, we know that D-Hills & P-View will be up to the task when Hurricane plays them. But right now, we are focusing on Snow Canyon. One game at a time.

• Southside SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Sept. 19, 2011 9:23 p.m.

With all that talent over at PV why is it that they are struggling to win games against teams that are far less superior? 8 D1 players and 0-2 in Region vs two teams that should be 1-1 and 0-2 in region. Come on PV you guys are better than that?!

• carver Enterprise, UT
    Sept. 19, 2011 7:14 p.m.

I would love to see Enterprise and four or five others in 2A dropped down to 1A. But in football only. Football is the one sport where numbers mean everything. Enterprise with 160 kids can in no way compete with the Manti's with 470 kids. That's three times the size. That would be like Manti playing against schools with 1500 kids or more.
    But as I said, in football only. Enterprise has played in a lot of state championship games in all the other sports. Finishing fourth in 2A last year in all sports schools. And take football out and they finish 2nd or 3rd.
    My point being; the UHSAA needs to look closer at bunching schools for football.

Sept. 19, 2011 6:36 p.m.

hud, most 2A schools are to small to compete with 3A that is why they are in a smaller bracket. Richfield, Manti and Emery are three times the size of North Sevier, Parowan and Millard. Put even more, much larger schools into 2A and there is no chance for any of these smaller schools to even compete. 11 out of 660 is not many. 11 out of 48 is a far greater percentage. Yes, there are only 48 seniors at North Sevier! More then half of them are girls.

• H-supporter Hurricane, UT
    Sept. 19, 2011 5:25 p.m.

AMEN JoMamma!!!!!!! and you are right Dixie and Pine View need to watch out because I think Cedar will take both!

The official "best suited for the familes" you are absolutley right and I guess when the decision is sports related so be it.

People keep referring to "sour grapes" in regards to those who did jump ship from Hurricane, believe me there are NONE! from the Coaches or our players, maybe community members still but the team and coaches are focused and are better off withouth them and have felt that way for a long time.

• Dr Rush Saint George, UT
    Sept. 19, 2011 5:17 p.m.

The move in out of area thing has a effect on many people.My son had won a staring position on the freshman team only to be replaced a week before the first game by a kid who decided to "move in " that week to a uncles home so he could play with that school.All the hard work,6am weight lifting,camps etc were thrown out the window for the "move in".My son who had played since 1st grade was so turned off he quit football the following year,BTW,the "move in" kid was a total washout out in HS.Things have a way of working out for the best,my son didn't play football but has a college scholarship out of state in another sport because he didn't play football,and the "move in" kid? Flipping burgers,:)

• backwardsbob West Valley, utah
    Sept. 19, 2011 4:48 p.m.

I love all the finger pointing about which players actually play in their boundaries. I know form experience that in the smaller schools this doesn't always equal wins. I think that players actually resent the fact that kids come in from other areas and play over them. I think the cohesion of the team is suspect and will be hard for them to go far in the playoffs.

Now although Hurricane has lost to Juan Diego the last three years in the finals they continually reload. I believe they are the team to beat this year in 3A, and from what I understand are doing so with their own players. I am sure players feel the pain of not winning state and are driven to win for their bothers who almost did. I think getting D1 scholarships is secondary and their motivation to win for the community is primary.

Can't wait for another Juan Diego Hurricane final.

• Southern Fan st. george, ut
    Sept. 19, 2011 4:07 p.m.

D hills could go all the way!!!

• histrung2 Orem, UT
    Sept. 19, 2011 2:42 p.m.

Just FYI,

So, you validated my point that two players who played for AF shouldn't have been allowed to play for Lone Peak since according to the rules once they play for another school their sophomore year they are not allowed to play for any other school wheather it's in their boundries or not unless they moved into those boundries. I know where these two live, right down the street from LP and then why did they decide go to AF then????

• Pv fan st. george, ut
    Sept. 19, 2011 2:38 p.m.

Nice win D-Hills over Pine View. That was a fun one to watch.

• just fyi American Fork, UT
    Sept. 19, 2011 2:02 p.m.

also i would love for you to dig up that other name of the reciever who played for AF

• hud NA, UT
    Sept. 19, 2011 1:59 p.m.

Bring down Grantsville, Morgan, Carbon, N. Sanpete, Juab and Delta. Some of the 2A schools need to be dropped down to 1A like enterprise, Parawon and possibly a couple others. 1A is somewhat of a joke in tthe current realignment. 1A would be much more exciting with a few more teams. Emery and Beaver are not contenders in 2A this year.

• just fyi American Fork, UT
    Sept. 19, 2011 1:50 p.m.

you do know that both of those players live in LP boundaries and have for a number of years correct? When they were playing at af, they were playing in the school outside of their boundaries

• BigBenzo88 Herriman, UT
    Sept. 19, 2011 1:39 p.m.

@Golden Helmet - What Herriman propaganda are you talking about? This story is a listing of the top 5 in each division. Well, the first comment that was posted was someone saying that all of 3A would beat Herriman.

Well, with having a son that starts on the team, I may be biased, but I asked where is all this coming from. I haven't seen any Herriman propaganda on DesNews.

I have stated my personal opinion that I believe Herriman has the best chance in 4A to go 10-0; the best chance to win Region 7 and the best chance in 4A to go 14-0.

Skyline is a good team...but they have their weaknesses...as do all schools. Herriman is a young team that gets better with every game. The biggest strength with Herriman is the offense. They can put points on the board (2nd most points in 4A and 4th most points in Utah). The defense is young, but getting better. I think if it comes down to a shootout...Herriman can hang with any team in Utah.

The next two games against Skyline and Olympus will change the scope of Region 7 and all of 4A.

• histrung2 Orem, UT
    Sept. 19, 2011 1:31 p.m.

LP fan,

Curtis Taufa outside linebacker who started for American Fork as a sophomore and Chase Hansen and one other player, whould you like for me to dig his name up too?

• mykaljordan draper, ut
    Sept. 19, 2011 1:18 p.m.

@doug whitmore

it doesnt matter to me what the coaches think about me commenting on here, but next time ill ask for permission if it will make you feel better..Remember this is all my OPINION...and in My opinion I think JD is better then Herrimen point blank, starting from the freshmen on up to the varsity.Like I said earlier this weeks game is going to be tough, but in the end (and its only my opinion) Skyline wins..!!

but I will always love my coaches and boys of the JD SOARING EAGLE FOOTBALL TEAM..!!!

• Golden Helmet Salt Lake, UT
    Sept. 19, 2011 1:17 p.m.

My hope is that Skyline unleashes on Herriman. This hope is two-fold; first, I am a Skyline supporter. Second, I am tired of seeing so many Herriman posts. Last year the posts demanding respect and selling a program were dominated by Woods Cross. In the end, WX failed to qualify for the playoff. I know, apples and oranges, but I am still tired of all the Herriman propaganda,

Side note, both Coach Putnam and Coach Dupaix (Roger's son) played at Skyline. Then again, Roger and Larry Wilson have faced off quite a few times over the years. The road to the Region 7 title goes through the Eagle's Nest. Skyline by 11.

• apocalypse Las Vegas, NV
    Sept. 19, 2011 12:59 p.m.

@ Jo Momma,

You are not correct about open enrollment. Students can choose the high school that they want as long as they do it before their 9th grade year. The students in question all took this route. It may be legal but I don't agree with it either.

• just fyi American Fork, UT
    Sept. 19, 2011 12:47 p.m.

Every one of the players on the LP roster have lived in the lp boundaries for at least 2 years now

• Bear Somewhere, UT
    Sept. 19, 2011 12:14 p.m.

RE: hud

Who do you bring down? They just brought down Manti, Richfield, ALA and Emery this year. If the numbers don't fit then they don't move down or up. 2A is more competitive this year than the last two. The last two years it has been a two horse race between San Juan and South Summit. This year you have San Juan, Manti, Millard, Emery and possibly Beaver that could be champions. I think 2A is doing just fine.

• Small Town Utah Rural, UT
    Sept. 19, 2011 12:08 p.m.

Hud, I agree.there are sanpete, delta, juab, grantsville and morgan that are rural schools and belong in 2-a. they don't recruit, or benefit from open enrollment or whatever you want to call it. they don't belong with the bigger schools with multiple schools in their immediate area and porous boundrys. and the competition would be great. if you look at last years 4-a state championship games in all sports, you will find that many if not most of the champs or runners up are from the new and larger 3-a schools. and with richfield, manti, emery moving to 2-a, that makes it an even bigger joke since they have more students than the smallest 3-a school.

• hud NA, UT
    Sept. 19, 2011 11:50 a.m.

To UHSAA:
    Please bring some of the 3A schools down to 2A. 3A has way too many and some 2A schools are tired of the lack of competition.

• Jo Momma CEDAR CITY, UT
    Sept. 19, 2011 11:36 a.m.

@ Bingham Canyon,
    It is not open enrollment in southern Utah, and I live in Cedar City. I think Cedar is going to be the third team to beat Pine View in the region. I was also aiming my comments at another who said that kids were confined to their community's school. Good try at being intelligent. Work on reading comprehension please. I also think my Cedar High team could work JD this year.

• Old ball coach Sandy, UT
    Sept. 19, 2011 11:16 a.m.

Herriman is right where they should be...at #5 in the state in 4A. I just don't think they are with the upper class of 4A, This weeks game will tell the state a lot about this young and upcoming program.

3A is just as exciting as 4A for the title. I have seen JD, Hurricane, and Ceder play...if Pine View, Spanish, and Dixie are as good as advertised, the playoffs are going to be fun.

5A is going to be a yawner. Its a 3 horse race with Lone Peak, Bingham, and Alta. Jordan would have made a big statement, but seems to fail when playing against teams of their caliber.

• Doug Whitmore salt lake city, UT
    Sept. 19, 2011 10:42 a.m.

mykaljordan. Wow, that is a huge surprise. Picking Skyline to beat Herriman! I guess that is how you can keep the argument that JD is better than Herriman. Seriously, do the JD coaches like you commenting on these boards?

• BigBenzo88 Herriman, UT
    Sept. 19, 2011 10:28 a.m.

@Football881 - your comment is a bit off. Look at the the first comment on this thread...."markymark | 11:40 p.m. Sept. 17, 2011 - All of the top 5 in 3A would beat herriman"

The sports writer puts the rankings and 3 hours later...the first comment is that all of the top 5 in 3A would beat Herriman. That's why I said...Wow...didn't know Herriman would draw so much attention.

I want everyone to know that I have never said that Herriman is great. I believe the are a good, young team that will have to be dealt with in Region 7 and in 4A...this year and next year. They have a young defense and a young, but strong offense (2nd highest points in 4A and 4th highest points in Utah).

I simply believe that they have the best chance in 4A to finish 10-0 and therefore would also have the best chance to finish 14-0. Not saying that they will win the 4A crown...but I think they have an awesome chance to win Region 7 and to be in the 4A Final 4 and return to Rice-Eccles.

• The Official Bingham Canyon, UT
    Sept. 19, 2011 10:28 a.m.

@jo Mamma,

Keep on eating the sour grapes... for starters, what point are you trying to make? Let me help, Its called open enrollment, it allows parents and students choices to attend a school private or public that is best suited for that particular family.
    The question you should ask yourself, how does that student effect the program i play in? Worry about how to make your program better, not what some other program is doing. I feel the grapes your eating is in part to how well JD worked your team,or how the Tigers go to RES and your team doesnt. Best of luck with Pine View, and may the best team win...

• LP Fan! Alpine, UT
    Sept. 19, 2011 10:19 a.m.

which players used to play at af? im curious. (besides chase) because that is not true one bit

• Jo Momma CEDAR CITY, UT
    Sept. 19, 2011 10:06 a.m.

Hey histrung2,
    There is as much recruiting done down here by Pine View as there is by Bingham. 2 of the 3 Pine View team captains live in the small town of Hurricane. They drive over to Pine View for school. There are also other players that do the same who play but aren't captains. In southern Utah Pine View is now known as the Hurricane "B" team. I don't know how the state and district let them do this, but they do. I think a couple of their families "rent" apartments from team coaches or boosters. They don't actually live in them of course. I was wondering how Pine View's cheap shot of two weeks ago was only penalized 1 game? He should be suspended for the year. The only other 3A team that recruits as much as Pine View is Juan Diego. Oh, and Cedar will beat Pine View.

• mykaljordan draper, ut
    Sept. 19, 2011 10:04 a.m.

@sid 6.7

I think your EAGLES will be fine, its a great program and the kids are well coached..I know its going to be a real tough game, but at the end IMO Skyline wins..Good luck to the skyline..

Skyline 21 Herriman 10

• mykaljordan draper, ut
    Sept. 19, 2011 9:59 a.m.

my last comment was for utefan21,and anyone else that thinks a 3A team couldnt beat the stangs...

sry bout the error..

• sid 6.7 Holladay, UT
    Sept. 19, 2011 9:54 a.m.

I coached a few of the Boys on the Herriman team and played with one of their coaches. The Herriman Coach I played with was a player for Dupaix at Skyline and coached with him there in later years. In other words, he knows the Skyline program well. Herriman is for real folks.

My son plays for Skyline and with their beat down of Murray last Friday I am fearful the Eagles attitudes may be a little lax. Don't under estimate Herriman boys! The Eagles need to continue coming together and work their rear ends off this week. Don't get cocky Skyline! This is the biggest test for Skyline so far this year and in my opinion it's a make or break game for the Eagles.

EAGLE PRIDE baby!

• HAMOBULL Ewa Beach, HI
    Sept. 19, 2011 8:41 a.m.

@bigbenzo88: absolutely nuthin wrong with Herriman (or any other team) having a perfect, undefeated season. After all, we all know what happen to Tom Brady and Company (16-0) when they got spanked by the NY Giants few years back. So...it really doesnt matter much about ranking...so long as the team WINS when it really really counts, i.e. throughout playoffs!

• mykaljordan draper, ut
    Sept. 18, 2011 9:00 p.m.

Im my opinion JD,Hurricane and any other top 3A team would give Herriman,a run for the money.Look what Hurricane has done thus far, and everyone talks about the loss that JD had to Skyline,but then they come back to beat a 5A Granger team with a 4-0 record 21-0. Herriman has a good program,but when you say that there is no 3A team that could beat them, you are quite wrong my friend, because there is more then one 3A team that could take them.

GO EAGLES..!!!

• bulldog72 Holladay, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 8:20 p.m.

I was talking to one of the Herriman coaches who told me that they tried to schedule harder games this preseason and they could not find many teams to play them. He said that most of the teams were worried because Herriman had made the playoffs last year and had a lot coming back, and they did not want the stigma of losing to a second year school. One of the opposing coaches said "You guys are the team nobody wants to play, it is a no-win situation for other teams."

• Football881 South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 8:01 p.m.

Because people know what the reality is and you come on here and talk about how great they are. Thats why people comment about them. If it wasnt for benzo in his dream world no one would think twice about herriman.

• ADIDAS Tooele County, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 7:58 p.m.

I don't know if your comment is just a joke but Tabiona does not have a football team

• BigBenzo88 Herriman, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 6:55 p.m.

Wow...I didn't know Herriman would gain so much attention, commotion and gossip. I have said it since Week 1...Herriman is a team that will have to be dealt with in 4A. I believe Herriman has the best chance in 4A to finish 10-0, the best chance to win the Region 7 crown and the best chance to finish 14-0 and win the 4A crown.

Everyone talks about Herriman's schedule. Of the 5 teams that Herriman beat, only 1 had a losing record at the time of the game (Timpanogos 0-2). 2 of the teams were 5A (Riverton, Copper Hills), 2 of the teams still have winning records (Orem 3-2, Copper Hills 3-2). The 4 previous teams that Herriman beat before Hillcrest all won this week (Orem over Salem Hills; Riverton over Kearns; Timpanogos over Springville; Copper Hills over American Fork).

You can say Herriman has a weak schedule, but its the only schedule they have. So all they can do is play hard and win. There are 2 undefeated teams in 4A and 8 undefeated teams in Utah....why does everyone have a problem with Herriman being one of them?

• histrung2 Orem, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 5:17 p.m.

I think the biggest reason why such programs as Hurricane, Pine View, Dixie and Spanish Fork thrive is becuase they are out in rural areas where kids who live in those areas play in ther boundries. Spanish Fork is dimished a little because all the kids want to play fore the new schools - Maple Mountain and Salem Hills.
    Unlike the Salt Lake Valley, Davis County (to a point), Utah Valley, where kids jump ship and play for better programs. Case in point Alta, Bingham, Lone Peak, Timpview and so on. At Lone Peak, there are three guys who played their sophomore years at American Fork and now play for Lone Peak. Those three guys (quarterback, receiver and linebacker) are a big reason for Lone Peaks success this year. There is a couple kids on Timpviews team that live a mile away from Westlake and others that live two blocks away from Orem. The best years of Timpview saw many of their star players coming from boundries of other schools.

• eagle Provo, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 12:24 p.m.

It's not an insult to Herriman but it wouldn't be a stretch to say all the top 5 in 3A could/would beat Herriman. Throw in a sixth team to boot with Pine View who has given East its closest game this year, save Fremont. The difference between 3A and 4A isn't that large, 4A is still deeper and better but I think the difference between 5A and 4A is much larger than the difference between 3A and 4A. It speaks well when Desert Hills' only loss is 12-10 against Syracuse, a team that took Davis to the brink. Hurricane has roughed up Skyline and West Jordan. Dixie beat Pine View who took East to the brink.

And yes, I think Herriman is a very good team...

• hsfbfan#1 MIDVALE, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 11:00 a.m.

Herriman has not played an overly tough schedule, but its not like they are playing the sisters of the poor. Their opponents are a combined 11-14. Not great, but not as terrible as everyone is making it sound. Two of their opponents have winning records. Remember, 5 of the 11 losses that their opponents have are to Herriman, so in games against other competition their record is 11-9. Not so bad. Orem is 3-1 since playing Herriman. Copper Hills is 3-1 without the Herriman loss. Riverton has lost to Syracuse and Alta, both of whom are pretty good.
    Again, not saying that they have played a tough schedule, but it is not as bad as you guys all make it sound. I would say a schedule against some average teams. Lots of questions should be answered with the Skyline game, who are a completely different team the last two weeks than they were at the start of the season. Great defense and good athletes on offense. Should be fun to see.

• histrung2 Orem, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 10:33 a.m.

I do agree that Hurricane is a very good team. They would probably win state this year, but don't discount what Herriman has done this year. Herriman beat 2 5A teams and and very good Orem squad who in the past two weeks put away their opponents by half time(Provo 45-13 and Salem Hills 31-7I before putting in their second string in the second half. Herriman also beat Copper Hills who in turn beat American Fork who beat Spanish Fork. And Spanish Fork will play for the State Championship against Hurricane unless they meet earlier in the playoffs.
    Herriman will lose this week to Skyline not because Skyline is a better team but because Herriman will make mistakes and allow Skyline to hang around and win the game. It's usually what young teams do against storied porgrams. As what happened to Maple Mountain against Timpview last week. Maple Mountain was the better team but does not have the winning mentality to win big games.

• LAsorda Hurricane, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 10:21 a.m.

Herriman deserves recognition, no doubt. Skyline should be a good test.. It could tell us all about both teams. Is Herriman a juggernaut or are they over-hyped? Is this a Skyline team that continues to get better as the season rolls on (as they have in the past) or have they been given too much credit because of the tradition? I think the Mustangs are good...but I am not sure ow they compare to Logan, Highland, or East. The jury is still out on Timpview, Herriman, Orem, Box Elder, etc.

• kmh Junction, Utah
    Sept. 18, 2011 9:10 a.m.

yes and we also saw what Hurricane did to Skyline and West Jordan

• markymark HERRIMAN, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 9:04 a.m.

I hear tabiona has an opening on there schedule, Herriman should probably pick that game up. Tabby would be 4-0 with the same schedule.

• Whiteshoes Hurricane, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 9:00 a.m.

The upcoming Skyline/Herriman game should settle all questions regarding both teams.

Herriman looks very good as of late. Unfortunately, most 4A schools would have coasted through their schedule. Their best wins are Orem, Riverton, and Copper Hills.

On the other hand, don't underestimate the top 3A schools. Hurricane beat both Skyline and West Jordan easily. Juan Diego has annually beat SLC schools--their loss to Skyline was only surprising because of the final score. As for the others, look at who've they played. Desert Hills has a loss to Syracuse (14-12). Spanish Fork lost to AmFork and Logan. Dixie has put nearly 50 pts on everyone except Hurricane. Pine View may be (2-3) but they've beaten two 4A schools and their losses are have been within onne score to East, Dixie and Desert Hills. Even the smallest 3A school, Delta, spanked Taylorsville last weekend.

• WeberCatBasketballFan Midway, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 7:58 a.m.

Hurricane would beat Skyline (oh wait, they did) and they would beat Herriman just like the best team in 3A last year (Juan Diego) beat Springville who then beat Timpview.

• Geeber South Jordan, utah
    Sept. 18, 2011 2:14 a.m.

Not too sure about that. They beat Riverton fair and square. Let's see what they do against Skyline.

• UteFan21 HERRIMAN, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 1:12 a.m.

@markymark....Sorry friend but none of the Top 5 in 3A would beat the Mustangs. Too much talent, speed and athleticism, plus depth and veteran coaching give Herriman the edge over any of the 5 teams from 3A listed here. Mustangs will beat Skyline this week and we all saw what they did to Juan Diego!

• UteFan21 HERRIMAN, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 12:54 a.m.

@markymark.....let me guess you also predicted a BYU beatdown of Utah!! hahaha! Mustangs would smash 3A.

• markymark HERRIMAN, UT
    Sept. 17, 2011 11:40 p.m.

All of the top 5 in 3A would beat herriman