Utah

Fiesta Mexicana fetes Mexico's independence in the melting pot of the Utah State Fair

Comments

• JBrady Murray, Ut
    Sept. 18, 2011 9:11 a.m.

How else did you expect people to react to massive illegal immigration? I think the people of this country have shown great restraint over the years. I think many of our leaders see this restraint as not caring, they are incorrect.

Until changes in attitude towards our laws happen, nothing is going to change. We don't need reform, we need respect and people encouraging others to follow the law.

Is it hateful to ask people to follow our laws?

• Morgan_Freeman's_Voice Provo, Zion
    Sept. 18, 2011 12:57 a.m.

Holy cow, didn't expect to see so many hateful comments on a D-News article. This is really sad.

• westcoastlife saltlake city, utah
    Sept. 17, 2011 10:53 p.m.

Welcome Cousins to many

• RRB SLC, UT
    Sept. 17, 2011 10:20 p.m.

Name calling and running people down will not solve the issue. Only compliance with the law, from the leaders and the people will.

Any country would be very upset and resentful over 12-18 million people came illegally into their country. The lack of respect for this country and it's people has caused the resentment on both sides.

• BYU Alum Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 17, 2011 9:19 p.m.

America used to be a "melting pot". You came here and you would "melt" into the great country we are, leaving behind your prior allegiances, cultures, and became one of us. Not so with the Mexican invasion of our country. Our "melting pot" has some big lumps of unmelted solids floating and bobbing around in our soup. You thumb your noses at our culture and keep your own culture. You take other people's identities, take other people's jobs, keep your own language, and game the system. The Mexican invasion continues. When will it it stop? The celebration of Mexican independence in Utah at the State Fair illustrates precisely what is wrong!

• Christy Beaverton, OR
    Sept. 17, 2011 7:45 p.m.

Why is my comment denouncing the hateful comments here not going through?

From the article:

"There doesn't need to be this hostility. The emotions run high on both ends. I feel strongly that our youth can take us to a different level by sharing and overcoming something that has been sad and a true detriment to our growth as a state," Enriquez said of the debate.

===========

You are right, Mr. Enriquez. Our precious youth, most of them, will inevitably overcome the outright irrational hate (see 1st comment above) and bigotry shown by their parents and grandparents, toward others who are 'different'.

How is the Fiesta Mexicana any different than celebrating German culture at Oktoberfest, or Swiss culture at Swiss Days? How do Mexicans not contribute to the fabric of America, whereas German and Swiss and Italian and Greek and Irish and Japanese people do?

Don't tell me 'legal status'. The lack of a piece of paper doesn't explain such extreme hate and vitriol.

• bixby35 BOUNTIFUL, UT
    Sept. 17, 2011 7:15 p.m.

I think Mexico would of been better off if Spain still ruled it. I don't get why so many leave their third world country and then are so proud of it when they come to the United States.

• philaD Clifton Heights, PA
    Sept. 17, 2011 6:01 p.m.

I wonder why I don't celebrate Iceland's independence day? Or England's? Nor do I even know if those countries have independence days. But I do know that I'm American, and I do celebrate her birth.

I don't get it. Is it so hard to come to America and celebrate her holidays and stop wrapping yourself in the flag of the country you abandoned? Is it asking too much to learn to speak our language (if for no other reason than to help your children out)? I understand you appreciate and celebrate your culture and roots. We all do. But why don't I ever see American flags at your events?

• Christy Beaverton, OR
    Sept. 17, 2011 5:36 p.m.

You are right, Mr. Enriquez. Our precious youth, most of them, will inevitably overcome the outright irrational hate (see 1st comment) and bigotry shown by their elders toward others who are 'different'.

Don't tell me 'legal status'. The lack of a piece of paper doesn't explain such hate and vitriol.

• SLMG Murtoa Australia, Victoria
    Sept. 17, 2011 4:05 p.m.

These are absolutly disgusting comments. From so called Chrisians.

Don't be fooled because I live in Australia right now, I am as true an American as red, white and blue. I am utterly ashamed of Americans that spout this racisim.

And don't tell me I don't know anything about Mexico, I was born and raised in Arizona on the border.

Charity is the true love of Christ and Charity never faileth

• B Logan, UT
    Sept. 17, 2011 11:54 a.m.

Hey, I have no problem with this as long as you are here legally and your allegiance is ultimately with the United States. Celebrate your culture and your ancestors independence. Just show me that you want to be an American first.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    Sept. 17, 2011 8:56 a.m.

Easy, all you who fear Mexicans.

So, is this the beginning of Utah being given back to the Mexicans? LOL!!!!

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 17, 2011 8:53 a.m.

Then by all means go back to Mexico and live out your independence.

• JKayDS EULESS, TX
    Sept. 17, 2011 8:32 a.m.

This is America.... we should teach AMERICAN HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and the history of different countries as they relate to ours.
    I love the was these writers seem to forget the fact that a lot of these people are here ILLEGAL !!! Is that the kind of respect for our laws and constitution that we want out children to be taught?
    If they are so in love with their Mexican culture then why they here and not in Mexico? I have NO PROBLEM with people immigrating to America as long as they do so to become AMERICANS not so that they can turn our country into Mexico.

• RRB SLC, UT
    Sept. 17, 2011 7:38 a.m.

All the festivals in the world will not calm the hostility over illegal immigration. Only one thing will do that.

A large part of my family came here from Mexico legally, but you won't see them at the fair until their is change within the Hispanic community. I am afraid the youth of today are being taught the wrong things.

• RichardB Murray, UT
    Sept. 17, 2011 4:52 a.m.

"There doesn't need to be this hostility."

The hostility will exist as long as massive illegal immigration takes place between the two countries. The attempt to de-criminalize it, sweep it under the rug, just make it worse.

• CWV1965 Taylorsville, UT
    Sept. 17, 2011 3:29 a.m.

Does this confirm that Utah elected representatives have surrendered this state to the county of Mexico? These fugitive illegal foreign nationals are flaunting their criminal live in our faces in pure contempt and hatred to the American people. With impunity they loot our cities and streets and government and celebrate their victories as if they had a right to destroyer the very fabric or the American way of life. They refuse to assimilate or even try to become Americans and we allow this terrorist behavior as if their lives of crime have been pardoned.

Disgusting event and the DN is disgusting for promoting terrorism by these foreign nationals in this state. They are our enemy, not the Taliban or the AL qaida.