Utah

Things Utah and BYU fans should take note of

Comments

• wwookie Payson, UT
    Sept. 16, 2011 7:43 a.m.

...so what you're sayinig is that BYU doesn't teach their students well enough, so they have to come to Utah to finish off their education ???

...haha, just kidding, but I'm sure a lot of insecure cougars are upset!

• bobco SOUTH JORDAN, UT
    Sept. 16, 2011 2:53 a.m.

I am getting a kick out of the comments. By far my favorite part of any BYU article. The back and forth banter is great. This is why I love this rivalry! We can take an article about how good the actual schools are and make it a battle and I wouldn't want to see it any other way!

GO COUGARS!

• rupertthebear Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 16, 2011 12:13 a.m.

Go BYUTES!

• ironmania San Diego, CA
    Sept. 15, 2011 11:08 p.m.

One major difference the article forgot to mention:

At BYU, there is no place to have a smoke, but

the U campus allows smoking.

• bluecoug89 Highland, UT
    Sept. 15, 2011 11:04 p.m.

I think it's funny how magically sports is brought up in an article that is all about academics. Really? I like sports as well but in my short 22 years of life I have come to realize that there is more to life than sports. How old are you some of you people that haven't come to that conclusion? Anyway, both schools are great and they have so much to offer and the great thing is that what they have to offer is so different from each other. I think it's fantastic! I am a current BYU student and am so grateful for the blessing to attend such a wonderful university but if I were to attend the U I wouldn't feel any less blessed.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 15, 2011 9:18 p.m.

@toosmartforyou

Too scared to face USU? We have you scheduled for the next four years... or did you completely switch sports from football to basketball (in which case yeah... we're wusses with that, we'd probably feel more pathetic about that if we actually realized we had a basketball team).

• gb13 Herriman, Utah
    Sept. 15, 2011 6:39 p.m.

@SoCalUtahFan.

6 + (plus) 4 = 10; Not "9" (simple math, even for a Utah Man).

Good Job, however, on try #2. You are correct! 11 + 7 does equal 18.

Math Score: 1 for 2 = 50%

Unfortunately, past records will not determine who wins this year. Therefore,
    good luck to both schools this weekend and may the best team win. It will be fun to watch!

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Sept. 15, 2011 6:33 p.m.

In just the recent history of when Lavell Edwards became the head coach at BYU has the U-Y game become a rivalry and that is because the Y suddenly won most of the games, typically by large scores. Now it's about even with a few years the U haing been a much better team. Prior to that, which U fans like to quote in their "life time Utah-BYU stats," Utah was a rival with Utah State. Now, funny thing, the Utes won't even play them. So I dub the U-Y thing as a "recent rivalry" and maybe that will fade too, as they are no longer in the same conference. I can't help but wonder if all the conference realignment energy develops, where exactly will USU land? I know U partisans like to disparage BYU but I think USU is the school that's truly the most vulnerable in the near future.

• Orem Native Orem, UT
    Sept. 15, 2011 6:29 p.m.

But in all seriousness, both schools have much to be proud of. They are different institutions with different focuses and each does well at what they do.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Sept. 15, 2011 6:24 p.m.

One of the biggest differences is that one is a stste school and one is a church school. One is easier to be accepted and one is harder to get into and requires a better GPA in high school. For those LDS who don't like the fact that their tithing goes to support BYU there are those LDS whose taxes go to support the U whether they want them too or not. So why quibble about things that you can't change or influence? Go to the school of your choice (yes, even Utah State, Weber State, UVU, SUU, Dixie, Snow, etc.) and just be happy. One team will win and one will lose. And if you watch the game or not won't make any difference in the outcome, just how you feel. Our state certainly benefits from having both the U and the Y.

• Orem Native Orem, UT
    Sept. 15, 2011 6:22 p.m.

I'm glad so many Utah fans are so much better than BYU fans because they don't have a holier-than-thou attitude. And they're definitely not judging when they call people judgmental either. Thanks for you self-proclaimed humility.

• SoCalUtahFan Utesville, CA
    Sept. 15, 2011 6:11 p.m.

@Calu Coug:

Last 9:
    Utah 6
    BYU 4
    ---> Utah 60%

Last 18:
    Utah 11
    BYU 7
    --> Utah 61%

Quite consistent, don't you think?

• Samwise Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 15, 2011 5:40 p.m.

I am one of those 14% of U grad students who are BYU alum (I didn't get in to BYU's Master of Accounting program so I went with the next best option in the state). As a result I like and respect both schools. I think it is ridiculous that fans and other people from both Universities try to disparage the academics of the other university. Both are excellent schools in their own ways and one excelling academically will not hurt the other one, and likely will help. As a side note, I have not converted my allegiance as far as sports go, and I never will, so I will be wearing blue at LES this Saturday and cheering on my Cougars. Go BYU!

• LValfre CHICAGO, IL
    Sept. 15, 2011 4:54 p.m.

Biggest difference between the schools is who does the most judging and discriminating versus who doesn't.

• GoGetter Sandy, UT
    Sept. 15, 2011 4:44 p.m.

Cool stats, but Utah is still gonna win Saturday.

• Wiley Old School RIC, VA
    Sept. 15, 2011 4:13 p.m.

I think Cali Coug calculates based on quarters, i.e. 75% because BYU beat Utah for three of four quarters last year. (I guess BYU beats Texas 75% of the time, too!)

• Glfklee Santa Fe, NM
    Sept. 15, 2011 4:03 p.m.

Mormon Ute,

Regarding TJ's Comments, I believe that is some smack talk going on there! Considering that this is "rivalry" week; with that in mind, the insinuations are what they are. Those who chose to differ from my observations, I'll respect those differences.

I have a great appreciation for both institutions and their service to the world community. Certainly they are different in their roles, mission, and operations, but the individuals who choose these two universities are similar in their passions for success. I speak in general and not specific individuals.

I would think that those who chose to have the honor code as their message of success would do well to take note that there is a difference between verbally citing the code and living the code. Judging by the disparaging posts from a few supporters of "Honor", it would be wise for these individuals to put their passions toward the latter as it applies to civility and pride. Smack talk notwithstanding.

GO Cougars!

• On the other hand Spanish Fork, UT
    Sept. 15, 2011 2:56 p.m.

@Moderate, to each his or her own. I care more about academic stats than sports stats (these are schools, after all), and I'm grateful to have both of these fine institutions in my state. I'm a BYU alum, but I have a tremendous amount of respect for the research and innovation coming out of the U.

• Anne26 West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 15, 2011 2:54 p.m.

@Kateybug: In 2009, President Thomas S. Monson was honored during half-time at the University of Utah for his support of the school and the football program. Yes, we do know how it feels to have a living prophet in our stadium and he just happens to be a Utah fan. Go Utes!!

• SoCalUtahFan Utesville, CA
    Sept. 15, 2011 2:33 p.m.

...That means BYU students comprise 14 percent of the U's graduate programs...

So, what it means...for smart cougars who realize they need a real education, they go up to the hill to get it.

I am glad to hear that since I was a Utah graduate.

• Kateybug Riverton, UT
    Sept. 15, 2011 2:08 p.m.

@ Mormon Ute,

The Utes may have had Elder Wirthlin's initials stenciled on their helmets the year he died, but who had a LIVING PROPHET come to their stadium in 2000 to rename it the LaVell Edwards Stadium? That's right....BYU!!! GO COUGARS!!!

• DontMUSSwUtah SOUTH JORDAN, UT
    Sept. 15, 2011 1:48 p.m.

The title should be changed to "Things CARMAN should take note of." The fact that a great article like this can, for the most part, allow us as fans take a different perspective about why our hostilities towards one another should not extend off of the football field is awesome. Fans like Carman who strive to take from the integrity of the article shouldn't be allowed to be a fan.

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 15, 2011 1:42 p.m.

First I attended both school!

I am a Utah fan (as my posting name indicates)

What are three things I appreciate about the Y?

1) Protecting my moral standards such as not allowing me to see Rodin's "The Kiss" at the Rodin exhibition held at the Y.

2) The haven the Y affords for female students to find, in four years, a husband of the same faith.

3) A place where one is not exposed to tatoos (unless the person already had some - or he/she is an athlete), body piercing (male only - the school is "not going there" regarding female students)

4) Forgot the rule only allows for three...

• plyxply SLC, UT
    Sept. 15, 2011 1:21 p.m.

my favorite thing about BYU is that they lost to Utah State last year in football.

my favorite thing about Utah is that they admit to being afraid of playing the Aggies in basketball, very big of them.

• Big J Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 15, 2011 1:12 p.m.

Clearly both schools are good. Each has their different focus. Each could make the point they are better than the other using criteria that benefits them most.

Lets just agree that a degree from either is a great accomplishment. I always chuckle when someone tries to tell me a bachelors degree from Harvard has any more value than the same degree from Boise State. All the Harvard degree gets you is a higher starting salary.

Go Utes!

• JDL Magna, UT
    Sept. 15, 2011 1:07 p.m.

I need to apologize to everyone.

I made a disparaging comment about the University of Utah. I was intending to throw light on the EPA designation, and the not that the University of Utah was being dishonest. Actually Utah is being very proactive in campus energy conservation.

• Devin American Fork, UT
    Sept. 15, 2011 12:48 p.m.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's nice. IT'S WAR!!!

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 15, 2011 12:47 p.m.

Uteology,

I was referring to TJ's comment not the article itself. I agree the article is positive toward both schools, but TJ's comment gives the clear impression BYU teaches integrity while that is missing at the U. If that's not what TJ meant, I's love to see a clarification.

• carman Wasatch Front, UT
    Sept. 15, 2011 12:46 p.m.

If you want access to the best graduate schools, and to jobs at the top companies in the country, BYU is clearly winning the race. BYU's more selective undergraduate programs and broad, national recognition and alumni base puts them in a different league than Utah. The number of BYU graduates attending top rated graduate schools is significantly ahead of Utah. And starting salaries for BYU grads are significantly higher than for Utah grads for almost all programs where they compete head-to-head. This is reflective of BYU's strong national reputation, across-the-board, better companies that recruit at the Y, and the rapidly growing and now significantly stronger alumni base for BYU across the country. As for engineering program strength, Utah certainly is respectable. Look at starting salaries out of the same programs, however, and you will find that BYU grads generally do significantly better - a strong vote by the marketplace.

Because of their focus on gathering research dollars, Utah leads BYU in academic research, particularly in the sciences. But don't confuse research or dollars with whos students are better regarded. Succesfull applications to top graduate programs are a much better measure.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 15, 2011 12:44 p.m.

CougFaninTX,

Great example of how you can twist the numbers to say what you want. Add another year and make it the last 6 and you get 50%. Back off to the last 24 and it is still 50%. Funny how that works, huh?

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 15, 2011 12:40 p.m.

Cali Coug,

Wow, you are living in the 70's and 80's aren't you?

LOL

• JDL Magna, UT
    Sept. 15, 2011 12:24 p.m.

I think the EPA designation of clean energy campus is quiet misleading and deceptive since the U buys several million dollars per year of Renewable Energy Credits REC's to off set the carbon emissions. REC's do nothing to clean up the actual campus but rather is a voluntary cap & trade, smoke and mirrors trick.

The other comparisons I have to take at face value.

• Axe-man OREM, UT
    Sept. 15, 2011 12:22 p.m.

@Mikee99,

Utah fans always cite the record of BYU-Utah games since 1896, which is a little like tracking BYU's Ultimate Frisbee team against Utah since 1990. Football was not an officially sanctioned sport at BYU until 1922. A (not-official) team from BYA (the Academy) played Utah multiple times from 1896 to 1903 and lost badly repeatedly. When the Academy was dissolved and re-established as a separate BY High School and BYU in 1903, football was not in the system. It was started in 1922.

BYU's record against the U is bad enough from 1922 to 1972 (when Lavell took over) without including the superfluous 1896-1903 record.

Cougars could say "For the last 5 years, BYU's won 3 times" or "In the last 40 years, BYU's won 26 times." In the overall record, however, Utah OWNED BYU from 1922 to 1971 (38-5). 1972 to 1992 it reversed (BYU 19-2). Since McBride became coach in 1990, it's been pretty even (11-10 for Utah). That includes runs of three wins for BYU (1990-92) and Utah (1993-95) and four for Utah (2002-2005).

• Uteology. SLC, UT
    Sept. 15, 2011 12:06 p.m.

Great article. We need more of this kind of journalism. Let us find the good in one another--there is plenty to be found.

As for an earlier comment that BYU has a holier than thou attitude. I disagree. This article was praising the BYU Honor Code. That does not mean that other schools are not honorable or teach integrity. It only means that BYU chooses to ensure a certain level of honor and integrity with its student. That is a good thing and does not speak negatively about any other school.

Thank you for this article.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Sept. 15, 2011 11:57 a.m.

@Mikee99

I'm not sure how Cali Coug got to 75% either, but:

BYU has won 3 of the last 5 = 60%

BYU has won 27 of the last 40 = 68%

I don't think this will be a high scoring affair on Saturday. Both defenses look solid, and neither offense is playing to their potential yet. I think the home field will give the advantage to BYU. My prediction: BYU 20, Utah 14

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Sept. 15, 2011 11:17 a.m.

@mikee99

He is refering to all sports, not just football. I personally have no idea if the real percentage across all sports is 75% in BYU's favor but it wouldn't surprise me if it is.

• WallyD North Salt Lake, UT
    Sept. 15, 2011 11:11 a.m.

Utah has a great medical graduate program and has a really good undergraduate program.

BYU has a slightly better undergraduate program and a better alumni network.

Mormon Ute,
    I think TJ was referring more to the requirements of the honor code and taking religion classes. I don't think he was saying that the U is unethical or immoral, but teaching morality through religion isn't a focus at the U like it is at the Y.

• Ragnar Danneskjold Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 15, 2011 10:37 a.m.

I'm also a Ute fan, but have a great deal of respect for BYU as an intitution. There may be some small things I would like to see change at BYU, but overall I think they really do strive to meet their goal of educating and uplifting the students. They work to keep the school as a positive representation of the Church, rather than a school that is loosely associated with the religion (like you see with some other religious schools).

• Cali Coug Visalia, CA
    Sept. 15, 2011 10:30 a.m.

What do I like best about the u? How about 75% of the time we know they will lose to the Y.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 15, 2011 10:09 a.m.

As a Ute fan I find a lot to admire about BYU both academically and athletically. When we face each other, I cheer only for Utah, but when BYU goes against anyone else I'm happy to see them win. When both schools have good athletic records it lifts up both programs. Academically, they do a fine job teaching undergrads and preparing kids for life, as does the U. I admire the honor code at BYU, but BYU fans have got to realize as a public institution the U cannot enforce an honor code. The two schools have different mission academically and philisophically.

TJ,

I take offense at your insinuation that the U doesn't teach integrity. Integrity is a basic value of society and the lack of it shouldn't be tolerated at any institution of higher learning. That is no different at the U. The holier than thou tone of your comment reflects a part of what causes some of the bitterness in this rivalry and I know is frowned upon by LDS Church authorities. Remember, which football team had Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin's initials stenciled on their helmets the year he died?

• derecha Central, UT
    Sept. 15, 2011 9:30 a.m.

Gee, not much discussion when nice things are said about both schools. That's interesting? Anyway, this just points out that we have a lot to be proud of from both of these institutions. Way to go!

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    Sept. 15, 2011 9:25 a.m.

So, there!

Juvenile one-upsmanship over who's university is educationally better is bunk.

It's like comparing apples to oranges. Each offers difference educational advantages.

Enough already with those juvenile comparisons!

Let's just stick to comparing sports, where it's apples to apples. Where winning gives the winner's fans something to razz about.

• Moderate Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 15, 2011 9:15 a.m.

Nobody is a fan of academic stats. Its all about football!

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Sept. 15, 2011 7:48 a.m.

Utah..Medical school and technologies start-ups.
    BYU..Honor code and preparing students to live life with integrity.