Utah

City Creek announces 20 stores

Luxury retailer among stores to open at city creek

Comments

• OC Misfit Mission Viejo, CA
    Sept. 15, 2011 11:41 a.m.

$1.3billion over the last 26 years includes material donations made by members according to the church website. That amounts to $50 million a year, or about 1% of what the church receives in tithing per year from its members. Since the Corporation of the President doesn't publish its financials, we can only assume how it spends the other 99%.
    Deseret News articles have quoted church leaders in the past that have stated none of the church's tithing funds were used to redevelop downtown SLC. So, where exactly did the money come from?

• Deseret Reader SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 15, 2011 11:14 a.m.

I do not mean this to be rude but is City Creek primarily targeted to women?

• Thinkman Provo, UT
    Sept. 15, 2011 9:57 a.m.

No Vicky's? Ahhhh. sigh.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 15, 2011 7:51 a.m.

LValfre and Truthseeker,

$1.3 billion donated to humanitarian causes does not include the products fast offerings and the Church Welfare system distributed by Bishops, which I am confident dwarfs the $1.3 billion.

The "Church" includes Church members, which also donate time, money and other resources to "Church" causes (including many, many hours to Church Welfare operations) and many other worthy causes. Think Jon Hunstman, Sr., who has donated billions to the Huntsman Cancer Institute. Also remember that the LDS Church made a large donation to the HCI. I do not remember the amount, because I'm not keeping score. Not keeping score leaves more time for me to devote my time, talents and other resources to worthy causes.

• LValfre CHICAGO, IL
    Sept. 14, 2011 4:51 p.m.

@Truthseeker,

$1.3 billion (reported allegedly, although they won't show us) in aid since 1985 (25 years)

$1.0 billion + City Creek Project right now (1 year)

What's the priority? Helping people are building more businesses?

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    Sept. 14, 2011 11:52 a.m.

re:MrsH
    Perhaps you could point out to me where I stated the Church NEVER does anything good for those who need help. In fact, the Church reported in 2010 that the value of humanitarian assistance since 1985 was $1.3 billion. It is good too the Church donated land for use by the American Cancer Society and the $1 billion/+ City Creek project will create jobs.

I would point out that every advance in society began with people asking questions. The LDS Church itself began with a questioning 14 yr old boy who wasn't comfortable with the status quo.

Anything out in the public domain is going to be questioned and criticized. We ought to be able to tolerate questions and someone stating they are a "wee bit" uncomfortable without ascribing statements to them that they didn't make.

• LivinLarge Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 14, 2011 10:41 a.m.

So, with the LDS Church as the landlord, do the CC&R's allow the stores to be open on Sundays?

• MrsH Altamont, UT
    Sept. 14, 2011 10:28 a.m.

Yeah, Truthseeker,
    The LDS Church NEVER does anything good for those who need help...Oh, wait, on the very same page as this article, there is an article about donating a couple acres land to help cancer patients.

But they also got criticised for that.

Just can't win, I guess.

• IakoSan Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 14, 2011 10:22 a.m.

My wife and I never go downtown. We have everything we need in and near our East Bench neighborhood. When this site opens, we don't plan on changing our shopping and dining styles.

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    Sept. 14, 2011 9:54 a.m.

re:79Ute
    "Absolutely no tithing money or fast offering funds, or interest on tithing and fast offerings, is used on these commercial projects; they are completely separate from the ecclesiastical and charitable work of the LDS Church."

Since the Church doesn't publish its financial statements in the U.S., I'm wondering what your source of info. is?

• JSB Sugar City, ID
    Sept. 14, 2011 9:52 a.m.

I'll bet those construction workers, Mormon and non Mormon, who had jobs with the contractors who built City Creek were very pleased that the church continued with this project in the midst of these economically difficult times. Downtown Salt Lake was getting pretty run down and it was contiguous with Temple Square where many tourists visit. I'd like my home town to be a place that tourists enjoy visiting. Salt Lake has done what a lot of cities have done to revitalize their inner cities but it didn't take taxpayer dollars to do it. Why is it that no matter what the church does, there are critics that feel obligated to complain. Their complaints say a lot more about their own character than it does about the LDS church.

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    Sept. 14, 2011 8:49 a.m.

re:Shaun
    Now, if you but into the notion that Planned Parenthood conceptually uses taxpayer money to fund abortions because "money is fungible," then, yes, tithing money can be viewed as contributing to the church's commercial concerns.

Though I understand SLC residents are very excited about this venture, as an LDS member it makes me a wee bit uncomfortable. I would much rather see the LDS church building hospitals in underserved countries, building homes in Haiti, fully-funding the health clinic in SLC which serves the homeless and their children, funding mental health services in UT or any number of
    charitable endeavors.

• Wookie Omaha, NE
    Sept. 14, 2011 8:48 a.m.

All I have to say is Tiffany and Co. Gentlemen, look out ;)

• Woodland-ite OREM, UT
    Sept. 14, 2011 8:03 a.m.

Read the whole story, all 20 stores are listed at the end of the article.

• Moderate Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 14, 2011 7:55 a.m.

This is going to be great. It will certainly rival the shopping mall found outside the Vatican in Rome!

• awsomeron1 Oahu, HI
    Sept. 14, 2011 1:41 a.m.

Can we all say Zarahemla.

If i lived in Utah I might enjoy checking this place out. Mostly for the Bose Store. I love Bose. I am totally tone deaf but i still love Bose. Bose either sponsers or uuse to sponser Rush because of their Target Market, loves quality and has the money to pay for it. Bose has sales also.

Macys i do not shop at because they have different colored Stars on their Bags and one iss a Red Star, and I think they mean No Harm but I still can't do that. My kids tell me they have good sales.

Nordstroms I have just never been in. I here it is High End great quality and has sales. We have one at Main Mall in Honolulu. Asian Tourist love to shop High End American Goods. When they visit. Half our Tourist Trade is Asian, they like to come here and get married, and shop till they drop, some of the signs are in English and Japanese, and the Bank Of Hawaii, ATM's do several Lanagues,

Wal-Mart on the other hand still has its Wet Floor signs in English and Spanish.

• A voice of Reason Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 13, 2011 10:59 p.m.

The only thing I was disappointed with from this list (and I realize that this isn't a complete listing by any means)- was that it was so heavily focused on fashion, make-up, men's 'finer' products, etc. The article said 'all incomes' would be represented, yet the list didn't really seem very balanced.

Any more info there?

I have generally moved away from mall shopping. I buy most of my products online. I usually find that malls serve the 'popular crowd' only and never specialty and very individualized customers. For this reason, I simply worry that the City Creek mall may end up being too similar to every other mall I've ever been to. Maybe I'm asking to much, who knows... but I'd like to see more info on how the Mall will serve all residents. This list just didn't seem to do that for me.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Sept. 13, 2011 10:42 p.m.

Open Sunday?

• JKayDS EULESS, TX
    Sept. 13, 2011 9:33 p.m.

I am excited to visit this area when it opens.
    I am from out of state but visit Utah often.
    I am also thankful for the Church in gaining all of these jobs for people. They sure came at a critical time.. both in the building of the center and once when it is finished and will need all the workers for the stores.
    I am sure that there will be some lower priced stores in there also.. guess will just have to wait and see.

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 13, 2011 8:02 p.m.

looks nice, but why would I fight traffic downtown, pay for parking - including the hastle of finding it, when I can go to the local suburban strip mall to buy what I want?

• Jackie Hicken
    Sept. 13, 2011 7:21 p.m.

A list of the 20 retailers has been available since around noon. It can be found by clicking on the link under the picture.

• SpanishImmersed Mesa, AZ
    Sept. 13, 2011 6:33 p.m.

Apparently, 20 is also a made up number because they were not listed in the story. I think I am in the huge majority who expected to read which 20 new stores are coming to Salt Lake.

• AZgrandma Pomerene, AZ
    Sept. 13, 2011 5:50 p.m.

I don't know what the problem is with what the 20 stores are. I was able to read the list at the end of the article. However, almost every store is shown to have "high-end" merchandise which usually means "high-priced". The article stated that people of every income level would be able to shop there. Well, so far, when I come for a visit to SLC (at least twice a year) I may be able to shop and pay for items at the Harmon's grocery store that is going to be included at City Creek but not the other places. I am a teacher's aide and saving for my retirement in 5 years.

• ouisc Farmington, UT
    Sept. 13, 2011 5:20 p.m.

The LDS Church has done a nice job with the City Creek development. The concept is right on.

There is one major problem I wish the LDS Church would address next--the traffic is absolutely horrible to get around "the Vatican," and the traffic is only going to get much worse once there are many more folks living downtown and way more folks visiting downtown again.

• SpanishImmersed Mesa, AZ
    Sept. 13, 2011 5:12 p.m.

WB, the story's title refers to 20 stores. Since headlines draw you in to a story, I'm guessing about 99.9 percent of readers are looking to see which 20 stores will be opening there. Its a dis-service for Jason with an e to not include that info.

• chase SL Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 13, 2011 3:36 p.m.

Absolutely thrilled that my wife can now spend more of my money. Thrilled.

• A voice of Reason Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 13, 2011 2:49 p.m.

I invite others who would find criticism of new developments on the basis of not liking anything LDS-related- to reconsider their feelings on such projects for another view that I believe is not only reasonable from a non-LDS perspective, but is also reasonable independent of any owner of real-estate.

The LDS Church has many beliefs about many things, but many forget that the Church believes in perusing virtuous and praiseworthy things. Even more forget that this means that the Church is continually trying to better itself, and in doing so will have motivation to improve everything done in the Church.

With that, the LDS Church paradigm is that we should all be good tenants and good stewards in all of our doings. While one may not really enjoy an LDS presence around them, the Church certainly puts a great deal of effort into building a safe and inviting environment for everyone; the fact that there will be restaurants serving coffee, wine, etc. absolutely stands as a testament to the commitment the Church has made towards welcoming all Utahn's and not just the Utahn LDS membership.

I hope that others will focus their attention on the positive.

• CougarKeith Roy, UT
    Sept. 13, 2011 1:53 p.m.

Dear Shaun, The Church has invested in business for years, it's ownership or partnership in businesses in the past and present pay dividends and "Profits" which are then re-invested and grow in other investments, and businesses. this has been the case for decades! Things such as Farms, business, Deseret News, IHC in the past, Printing companies, Record Keeping, and much more that can be investigated by individuals will help one to realize that the Church IS incorporated as a CHURCH and has business interests. When you have very Wealthy men you know you can trust and other wealthy men invest in them, and leave large trusts and grants and business interests to the church, along with the Lord's inspiration, growth is the only option. The Church is Wealthy, it's businesses pay taxes, but the "Church Side" does not. Tithing is for the Church, Offerings are for the CHUCH, such as missionary work, temples and Ward Houses, Caring for the Poor, and such. Why is it because the church is investing in the Inner City to keep it Safe & Clean, everyone condemns them? If the Church ran the city, it would be in much better shape than it is!

• 79Ute Orange County, CA
    Sept. 13, 2011 1:02 p.m.

• Shaun Sandy, UT
    Sept. 13, 2011 12:40 p.m.

How does the LDS church afford to build this project without tithing money? Tithing money has to be used either directly or indirectly, right?(e.g. interest off tithing money)

Can anyone answer my question? And I am not attacking the LDS church i am just curious more than anything.

• SpanishImmersed Mesa, AZ
    Sept. 13, 2011 11:39 a.m.

You didn't list the 20 stores, the headline topic and stated objective of the first sentence in the article. You only referred the reader to the website of this commercial venture. Was this story news, or, an advertisement?

• MAYHEM MIKE Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 13, 2011 11:11 a.m.

I'll visit City Creek for the food and buy most other items on the Internet.

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    Sept. 13, 2011 11:09 a.m.

is this the same skybridge that was going to be built over ross anderson's "dead body"? i guess we know where to find ross now.

• Informed Voter South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 13, 2011 11:04 a.m.

So what are the names of the 20 stores? Without that, what is the story?

• B Larson SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 13, 2011 10:55 a.m.

This is so exciting...I can't wait. President Hinckley's vision of downtown SLC is truly becoming the great downtown he envisioned.