Sports

Mike Sorensen: Utah Utes, BYU football: Despite its early showing, rivalry game should be fun

Comments

• Big Hapa Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 13, 2011 11:21 p.m.

Aggies seem to be the one program that knows how to finish with touch downs, yes touch downs can you hear that Heaps.

Same lame pathetic post game one liners Heaps talk is cheap, touch downs not excuses.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Sept. 12, 2011 10:49 p.m.

Utes defense is a level below Texas amd Ole Miss. Both scored near forty in their other games. Cougar offense a level above the utes. Texas has a better defense than Montana ST. & USC. USC almost lost to Minnasota who than lost big time to New Mexico St. Home field advantage to the Cougs.

Cougs 42
    Utes 10

• GoGetter Sandy, UT
    Sept. 12, 2011 8:53 p.m.

Oh yeah, baby. It's time to (graciously and anxiously) give another saturday night up for the infamous game. I already have front row seats on my couch. It's gonna be a doozy, they both came off of heartbreaking losses to big teams. This game is only played for the sake of pride to Utah and BYU (Utah because they don't need to even play BYU for bowl game implications, BYU because they lost last week, therefor not being eligible for BCS bowl).

Face it, the winner is the team that fights harder, executes a few more plays better, or dislikes the other team more (notice I didn't use the word "hate" *cough* Max Hall **cough* *cough*.)

It's gonna be a great Saturday, I'll wear red this whole week. Go Utes!

• PAC Member Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 12, 2011 8:43 p.m.

I've been a long time University of Utah fan. I graduated from the U. 20 years ago. I've been a long time supporter of football as a season ticket holder. I've truly enjoyed the rivalry over the years.

Over the past six years the hatred that has festered and spewed by players, fans on both sides, and friends, the game has become too large of an emotional and spiritual liability. Hatred now fills the air as local sports talk shows feed a fire that no longer needs fueling. This hatred follows fellow members to church and makes Sunday's attendance following the game virtually intolerable.

I'm hopeful that BYU's independence and ultimate invitation to a BCS conference will shine a greater light on a new objective. Utah's membership to the PAC brings with it new possibilities and challenges. I'm hopeful for each school that their new "challenges" don't involve each other. The day of the inapplicable, ill named "Holy War" needs to end.

The rivalry's time has come and gone. Utah's goals are set on the BCS and that doesn't include BYU - the game that no longer matters. I hope BYU's future is the same and doesn't include Utah.

• wyoming cougar Green River, WY
    Sept. 12, 2011 7:22 p.m.

seriously naval vet,
    give it a rest.

Maybe, on the other hand (if you want to play this game), if we had the same MWC officials that were at the utah game last year, your utes will be able to squeeze out another slim victory against a bunch of slow, unathletic, average boys (as they're referred to by you Y-haters).

Amazing to me that with all the speed, talent, and athleticism your utes have that BYU can even come close to being on the same field with you. Maybe we should just give you the beehive boot now (since your team is to afraid to play the aggies this year), and play water boys for the rest of your mighty pac-10.2 schedule.

And, for the record, BYU 24, utah 13

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    Sept. 12, 2011 6:41 p.m.

Come on ya'll.

BYU v Utah has had oodles of awesome games over the past two decades. Who cares they are 1-1 and that the game is in September. Their even matchedness will have us at the edge of our seats, just like usual.

Notre Dame and Michigan, two teams that have done little nationally over the past few years played an epic game last week. I expect something similar.

It's going to come down to execution. The winner will be the one who does it the best.

It will be fun. Stay tuned.

• Stackhouse paradise, nv
    Sept. 12, 2011 6:34 p.m.

This game will be a yawn! It needs to go back to November to get my exitement level up. Hopefully the PAC12 can let that happen. I see this game being similar to the 2003 without the snow. All defense with Blechen and Van Noy stealing the show.

• B Logan, UT
    Sept. 12, 2011 5:23 p.m.

Who cares about THIS game? The rivalry game is on the 30th. Go AGGIES! 2 in a row!

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 12, 2011 5:15 p.m.

prediction:

24-21 for Utah

Utah always plays great in Provo and BYU hasn't found an offense yet. BYU will once again fall short in a late 4th qtr comeback. Utah's defensive speed - man to man defense will cause BYU and Doman fits since BYU has no running game.

• David in New Mexico Rio Rancho, NM
    Sept. 12, 2011 5:12 p.m.

@Jake2010: This will be close. Why? Because bot offenses are struggling and both defenses are great this year. There will be very little scoring. So the spread just won't be great. Utah is a better defense than either team we've faced so far. Utah is, first and foremost, a defensive team. Neither team will score >16pts. I see 13-10 BYU.

• Pay Dirt Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 12, 2011 4:44 p.m.

Doman will be fine in the long-run. The problem is BYU needs him to figure it out now! The problem is the youth at receiver. Apo isn't used to being contested. Also, he was out last year. There is no experience like game experience. My questions have to do with the running game and Cody Hoffman. They have been non-existant.

• Bleeding_Blue SPRING, TX
    Sept. 12, 2011 4:34 p.m.

Go see the youtube video that pokes fun of this rivalry; search for: talking to your kids about BYU football. Too funny!

• SyracuseCoug Syracuse, ut
    Sept. 12, 2011 3:36 p.m.

At least the Utes fought till the end in their game, BYU rolled over and let Texas step on their necks. This could be the difference maker in Saturday's game unless BYU players and coaches find a little heart and finish the game strong. I was very dissapointed in watching BYU go from dominating the first half to absolutely losing the "eye of the tiger" and sitting on their hands, hoping that Texas would just give up and let them win in the 3rd quarter.

Should be a close game, neither offense looks very good right now and defense should dominate the day.

Chris B- are you seriously predicting a BCS bowl for the Utes already? Wow, I could have swore the Utes were 0-1 in the Pac 12 with a struggling qb. Talk about delusional.

• WaterCat SAN DIEGO, CA
    Sept. 12, 2011 3:11 p.m.

It's not going to be as interesting this year because by November, it will be a footnote. This rivalry is as important to these two schools as USC v. Notre Dame and the Pac-12 should allow it at the end of the year.

• wardu Fallon, NV
    Sept. 12, 2011 1:54 p.m.

Show me how the Utes won't lose 5 or six more games this season. 40% chance of getting to rose bowl. I think not. The potato salad bowl at the new years party? more likely. Or maybe Coach Whit's wife will make you all a bowl of red jello as a parting gift as you are cleaning out your locker.

• Pugman TREMONTON, UT
    Sept. 12, 2011 1:16 p.m.

Ute fan makes some great points. As of two weeks into the season anyone who thinks the Y and the Utes will be playing anywhere except the inaguarual "Toilet Bowl" is dislusional. The good thing about it is, it's only Sept. We can only hope these two programs get it together and find ways to win. Stop the speculating, root hard for your teams, and let the chips fall where they may.....they're going to anyway!

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Sept. 12, 2011 1:05 p.m.

Utes Fan:

"They are a 6.5 point favorite for a reason."

With a 275.5 ypg average, I'm not sure that the reason they're a 6.5-pt favorite was due to their ability for "mov[ing] the ball well". Perhaps the point spread was because Las Vegas might think that Chad Bunn will be returning to the Replay Booth. That's worth 7-pts for the cougars right there.

• Moderate Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 12, 2011 12:53 p.m.

ESPN (BYU's partner) notes:
    The Cougars rank No. 108 in the nation in total offense (275.5 ypg), and No. 107 in scoring offense (15 ppg).

• Utes Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 12, 2011 12:34 p.m.

I wish Ute fans would stop talking about the Rose Bowl. Ute fans talked BCS all last year until the bomb exploded against TCU and expectations were brought down very quickly. Yes, the Utes did a nice job to hang in there against USC, but they still lost the game, and, in my opinion, USC out-played them almost the entire game - USC had something like 100 yards more than Utah. Let's take it one game at a time, and not worry about BCS bowls right now, because, most likely, it won't happen this year. The Utes need a lot of improvements on offense and defense, and are an injury or two away from a mediocre team. Not that I don't have hopes, its just that I prefer to take it a game at a time and maintain a healthy dose of humility. If you disagree with my approach, I am sure the coaches take the same approach.

BYU will be tough to beat. They are a 6.5 point favorite for a reason. They were able to move the ball well at times against both opponents. They need to learn how to score consistently. That could happen anytime.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Sept. 12, 2011 11:57 a.m.

Jake2010:

The Home team amid this rivalry statistically benefited by 4.75-pt advantage. If the Y continues in their tradition of packing as many of their alumni and paid employees as possible into the Replay Booth, we can reasonably bump the Home field advantage to +11.75. So if the cougars win by 16+, it wouldnt likely have been on account of the Home field.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Sept. 12, 2011 11:50 a.m.

ChrisB:

"Good luck on your "quest" next season cougars.....We'll have already had THREE!"

Whoa there Chris! Ease off the pre-postseason celebrations there. We have to win the Pac-12 South Division title first, and then follow that up with a win in the CCG before we can start talking about THREE! And we havent even won a single Pac-12 game yet. Gloating about wins/invitations yet to be realized is really more the modus operandi of the Indy-WACers. You should follow along the Utes trail of taking it one game at a time.

GO UTES!!!

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Sept. 12, 2011 11:40 a.m.

both teams' BCS bowl dreams took a big hit by close losses Saturday, -- Mike Sorenson

Thats not entirely accurate, Mike. Even with an undefeated season, the Indy-WACers would not have had the SOS to finish in the Top-2 of the Final BCS standings as would have been required for them to be guaranteed a BCS bowl invitation. So losing at Texas didnt really preclude them from playing in one. Scheduling ½ of a seasons worth of WAC/FCS teams is what ultimately did them in.

As for the Utes, were still on track for a CCG appearance. And, if we get into that game and win it, were Rose Bowl bound. The only thing that the loss at USC did to the Utes was exclude us from playing for Natl Championship, or squeezing us into an at-large BCS bowl bid.

• Utes21 Salt Lake City, ut
    Sept. 12, 2011 11:40 a.m.

It should be a decent game of defense, what I would like to see happen is Chris B and Duckhunter sitting together and actually become best friends. That would make this rivarly a lot more interesting this year.

• niners SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Sept. 12, 2011 10:10 a.m.

How do you compare what the Jets did against the Dallas Cowboys to BYU vs Utah? If you do that I will say the road team (The Utes) will take a 34 point win just like the Buffalo Bills did on the road to the Cheifs....makes absolutely no sense haha.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Sept. 12, 2011 10:07 a.m.

Predictions for this game:
    - Heaps throws 8 interceptions
    - Wynn with a 50% completion percentage, but his longest completion is 1.5 yards
    - Final score: 4-2, whichever team gets two safeties first will win
    - We're all asleep by the 2nd quarter

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 12, 2011 10:06 a.m.

Unfortunately the reality of the situation is this, BYU will start off fine and put some points on the board. The defense will play a stellar first half. At half time, Whittingham will make adjustments. Second half Doman gets ultra conservative and scared. Bronco makes no adjustments. Utes roll to a come from behind win. BYU once again makes excuses about not executing. Once again, the loss will be due to the poor coaching and not the players. Unbelievable that Bronco said that Doman was making progress.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Sept. 12, 2011 9:59 a.m.

I have to admit this just feels different. I don't know why, but I'm having a hard time really getting into this. It seems like the two teams are going different directions. Its turning into to just another game. Maybe that's good of course. I think too many people have taken this to extremes anyway.

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 12, 2011 9:48 a.m.

Similar to the title of another article in the News today. The Y controls it's destiny. They can still defeat Idaho, Idaho State, San Jose State, etc. and with a record of 10-2 (losses to Texas and Utah) defeat a Texas El Paso in the Helicopter bowl. And the players can still be selected over players from Army and Navy for all Indepedence post season honors.

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    Sept. 12, 2011 9:33 a.m.

This game is a waste of time now, neither team wins.

• plyxply SLC, UT
    Sept. 12, 2011 9:30 a.m.

Utah needs to stop trying to lie about Wynn's shoulder, it's obvious to anyone watching he is not 100% and that the doctor's didn't do a very good job repairing his shoulder. I've seen jr high kids who throw the ball better. He's got great football iq but that doesn't help when he need to complete a 12 yard out. He killed drive after drive with batted down balls, isn't there anyone else who can step in and play qb?
    On the other hand Heaps has a great arm and throws it well in practice, he just doesn't understand how to complete a big pass play when his team really needs him. I've never seen so many overthrown deep balls by a qb who is touted as one of the greatest of all time. Come on Heaps, learn to throw the go route, it's very frustrating to watch.
    One another note, does every BYU completion require the receiver to jump up and chest bump the nearest teammate? Judging by celebrations alone the Cougars are extremely proud of any completed pass they make. I guess low expectations create a great sense of accomplishment.

• Jake2010 bountiful, ut
    Sept. 12, 2011 9:13 a.m.

For the record, it will not be a close game. Home field advantage will be enough to propel a 16+ point victory for the home team. Just like the Jets took care of their home field so too will the Cougars. Difference? The Utes don't have Romo or any semblance of him. Therefore, there is no threat outside of the cougars themselves.

• niners SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Sept. 12, 2011 9:01 a.m.

I hope Utah blows out BYU! I can't take another close one lol. But... realistically It will be a really close game and I hope and expect the Utes to pull it out in the 4th quarter. No disrespect to BYU though, I think they will end up having an 8-10 win season if their defense can carry the offense for their last 9 games following this week. Same goes for the UTES :/

Also, please ignore the 0.5% of arrogant "Utah fans" on these boards and realize the other 99.5% of us are true Utah fans just cheering for our team! GO UTES

• Kosta Fesenko Chicken McNuggetville, UT
    Sept. 12, 2011 8:59 a.m.

here is a vote to put the rivalry game on ice. two teams with two different objectives and I am tired of the poor behavior of the fans. The game just isn't fun anymore.

But, Go UTES!

• Jake2010 bountiful, ut
    Sept. 12, 2011 8:53 a.m.

With the team that has shown up in weeks one and two I don't see how any reality endorsing and embracing person could think that this will be a championship season for the hillsters. I am bitterly disappointed in both the Ute performance thus far and the insanity of many fans. I had higher hopes for the Utes this year. Had higher hopes for the Cougars also. For 3 quarters of the game it looked like a victory would be theirs. Yet, in the 4th quarter they found a way to choke it away. Utes that had to hurt bad to watch what could be a game tying play turn into an exclamation point for the Trojans. In reality isn't that like a 9 point turn around? Instead of tying the game it turns into a touchdown and 9 point win? Ute fans, I won't single any of you out but please come back to earth and show some semblance of intelligence. The stupidity does not become you.

• dustman Nampa, ID
    Sept. 12, 2011 8:27 a.m.

Doman has no confidence in his offensive players. Now the offense is buying into Doman's belief. I fear this is gonna get progressively worse. Doman has the offense thinking they can't throw a pass. I thought rob Anae was predictable, Doman is just as bad.

• XelaDave Salem, UT
    Sept. 12, 2011 8:09 a.m.

I fear the difference in this game will be Doman vs. Chow and if that is the difference then I am in for a long afternoon and so is BYU- lets hope coaching is not the difference

• Unlucky HEBER CITY, UT
    Sept. 12, 2011 8:07 a.m.

Evenly matched game for sure. This is the way I see it.

1. Offense edge to Utah, barely neither team is that good.
    2. Defense edge to Utah based on second half performance of BYU defense, gave up over 200 yards and 14 points.
    3. Coaching advantage to Utah.
    4. Special Teams Even neither team is doing well.
    5. Home Field advantage BYU.

Each area is close but I see Utah winning 20 to 14.

• SCCougar LEXINGTON, SC
    Sept. 12, 2011 7:31 a.m.

I don't see any diminishing in status as a rivalry game other than a conference championship is not on the line. I am a fan of both BYU and USC - The University of South Carolina. Let me tell you, SC and Clemson are about as bitter rivals as BYU and Utah. They don't play in the same conference and yet their rivalry game is huge. They don't play for a conference championship but as good as SC is supposed to be this year the only sell-out so far is for the Clemson game. Oh and they do play each other as the last regular season game on their schedules. Maybe that can be worked out for the Y/U in future years, maybe not, but either way I don't see this rivalry going extinct any time soon. Just read all the banter on these boards and you can see it still means something to all involved. I can guarantee Bronco and Whit are not downplaying the importance of a win on Saturday. Should be a great game for years to come!

• bgl Santa Monica, CA
    Sept. 12, 2011 6:50 a.m.

Two not great--but very good teams that are so evenly matched right about now it's almost eerie. I would go ahead and give BYU a couple of point edge as a home field advantage--but the Utes have never seemed to care too much about that. I think that this will be an amazing and close fought game.

• SLC BYU Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 12, 2011 6:13 a.m.

Sarcastic Humor: What Rivalry Game?

Why doesn't Utah insist this one be played at RES exclusively as it was prior to 1964?

Why does BYU even attempt to still keep football, let aloneathleticltic department?

Why can't they just closesuch sucgh a detraEnterpriserpirse and let Utah State have their program back (BYU stole their athletic alignment position back in 1962 when the Aggies were kept out of the originaalignmentngment after all?), and perhaps Utah Valley University have a program?

Why does BYU even try having ANY post graduate programs including law and business? Doesn't this detract from state operated institutions and their mission?

Shouldn't Utah and all the Pac-12 schools limit playing any games against a religiously sponsored school to strictly Notre Dame? Perhaps Larry Scott should take this a step further and ban the Pac-12 from playing BYU period!

After all, isn't BYU the reincarnation of Bob Jones University, or the late Jerry Falwell's Liberty University on the LDS level academically speaking?

• Ricardo Carvalho Provo, UT
    Sept. 12, 2011 12:39 a.m.

I am disappointed to see the Utah-BYU rivalry diminished to its current status. While the rivalry certainly brings its fair share of poor sports to the fore, it also has had an intensity that make it meaningful each year. In the past it did not matter if your team was leading the conference or down in the dumps, a win over the rival made everything all right. Both teams would be well up for the game as it had real meaning. It is hard to see the same thing happening now with the game happening so early. As a Cougar supporter, I am somewhat pleased (and, probably, more jealous) for the Utes and their great opportunity. It is, however, disappointing to see the "race to the top at all cost" mentality permeate college football to such a great extent that we are losing terrific rivalries such as this one and others that may soon fall. I wonder if our obsession with crowning an overall champion does not come at too great a cost.

• Davis Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 11, 2011 11:36 p.m.

We can tell it's byu Utah time . Chris B is at it already go cougars. It should be a great game

• panamadesnews Lindon, UT
    Sept. 11, 2011 11:13 p.m.

To El Chango Supremo: Also, hopefully, visiting fans keep things in perspective & treat home fans with respect. Maybe fans of both teams can take a page out of Mississippi's book and can treat each other like brothers, with love and respect.

• El Chango Supremo Rexburg, ID
    Sept. 11, 2011 10:10 p.m.

Looking forward to a good game. Hopefully the fans at LES keep things in perspective and treat visiting fans with respect.

I'm predicting a BYU win, but should be close.

• I Still Can't Say It Holladay, UT
    Sept. 11, 2011 10:04 p.m.

Ute fan here. I just want to get the "rivalry" game exercise over with this week. It's hard to care when you think about what the rest of Utah's schedule looks like -- ASU, Cal, AZ, etc.

• just-a-fan Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 11, 2011 9:55 p.m.

Keep all the nutjob fans from both schools away and let's have a great time.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 11, 2011 9:42 p.m.

I think the two teams are evenly matched, just as they have been the past several years. Should be a great game!!

• Rock Of The Marne Phoenix, AZ
    Sept. 11, 2011 9:32 p.m.

Chris B, give up it up already. I'm a Ute fan but I am not pounding my chest like you. News flash, though we didn't get trounced, our team lost yesterday and has yet to prove anything on the field of play. Your obsession with BYU is abnormal as it seems to define your life. I'll give BYU props, I think their defense is as good as they have had in years. Try it sometime Chris, the world won't end if you try to be objective about your rival. It seems very strange to have the rivalry game this early in the season but that is the football landscape we now inhabit. Here is hoping for a good competitive game as both teams still have much to prove.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 11, 2011 9:01 p.m.

Let's consider chances of going to a BCS bowl:

byu
    1 loss already
    no conference wants you
    bcs bowls think you are a joke
    preseason national championship

chances of BCS bowl: 0%, same as every year.

Utah
    Pac 12 tournament of champions
    Don't play Oregon
    Don't play Stanford
    USC can't go to Pac 12 championship game
    1 of 2 best teams in Division

Chances of BCS Rose Bowl: 40%. Oregon 60%

Oh it's good to be a ute.

Good luck on your "quest" next season cougars

We'll have already had THREE!

• Uncle Rico Provo, UT
    Sept. 11, 2011 8:44 p.m.

Rivalry game doesn't mean too much.
    No conference impact, obviously.
    Has little to no impact on bowl.

A rivalry game, but early and not as much on the line as previous games. Both teams coming off of loses, and struggling offensively. Could be a momntum game for the rest of the season.

Should be interesting.