BYU football: Coaches, players on alert for Texas' trickery

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    Sept. 9, 2011 7:48 p.m.

re: Starfarer | 7:42 a.m. Sept. 9, 2011

"Lame is judging a quarterback on one game."

Agreed. Lay off Wynn.

@ mrmugooo | 8:49 a.m. Sept. 9, 2011

This just in; the Aggies currently have scoreboard on the Cougars.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Sept. 9, 2011 3:11 p.m.

I just looked up lame in the dictionary and guess who's picture it showed?

• Johnson72 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 9, 2011 12:35 p.m.

Lets go Longhorns!

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 9, 2011 11:25 a.m.

As a Texas grad I am looking forward to the game. I was at the UT/y games in 87 & 88 when we lost both times. Of course the y was relevant back in the 80's.

Clearly both teams have had their struggles last year. The y being crushed by USU and UT with a losing record. In the end the Longhorns are still far more talented than the y with far more firepower. Gilbert will play conservatively and have a much better day than Heaps will have facing a much faster group of linebackers than the he faced last week.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Sept. 9, 2011 8:50 a.m.

@go big blue

The pain and angst in your posts is evident. Like Ted H. I was pulling for usu but also like Ted H. it gives me great pleasure to see you suffer. You will undoubtedly suffer a great deal more this season, and for every season in the futre, as usu will always be exactly what they have been and are, mediocre to poor.

Sad but true.

• mrmugooo Snohomish, WA
    Sept. 9, 2011 8:49 a.m.

Lame is ANY Aggie fan trying to talk smack about any other team (except maybe Logan High School...)

• Starfarer Mesa, AZ
    Sept. 9, 2011 7:42 a.m.

Go Big Blue!!!

Lame is hating a team so bad that you troll their comment boards.

Lame is hanging your hat on 2 BCS wins that mean nothing.

Lame is judging a quarterback on one game.

Lame is not understanding that teams can get better season over seaon or from game to game.

Lame is thinking that, I as BYU fan, cannot believe in my school, my players and my coach.

Got anymore?

• North Summit 05 Coalville, UT
    Sept. 9, 2011 5:18 a.m.

Everyone hating on BYU every team goes through the first game jitter's even Utah! BYU did have trouble scoring but Utah did'nt exactly light up the scoreboard against a FCS team that they very well should've and let's be clear here BYU opened up against a SEC team on the road before the season started USA today said in an article that BYU has a good chance to make a run at the NC not Utah BYU yep that's right. BYU's corners are not that weak they had chances at int's last week they just did'nt come through after last week's game everyone needs to look at how high BYU's Defense is ranked another thing is all the buzz about Texas they played a very poor team so of course they will score that many points on trick plays. And a trick play that alot of teams run that my HS team use to run and still does is the good old Hook N Ladder to the outside and it works very well! GO BYU COUGARS

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    Sept. 8, 2011 10:24 p.m.

Greg Wrubell posted an interesting stat the other day. He said that Bronco Mendenhall's teams have averaged 18 ppg in opening games (16 vs BCS Conference Opponents). In the second game of the season, Bronco's teams have averaged 35.6 ppg (34.4 vs BCS Conference opponents).

Big jump in productivity. If that trend continues, and the Cougs score 35 this Saturday, I would say it's a W for BYU. Our D, especially our front seven, is scary good this year, and Texas' O-line is suspect.

Looking forward to Saturday. Go Cougars!

• wyoming cougar Green River, WY
    Sept. 8, 2011 9:23 p.m.

Weber State - 38
    usu - 34

• Mildred in Fillmore Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 8, 2011 8:59 p.m.

Another great win for my Cougars:

BYU 35
    Texas 14

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    Sept. 8, 2011 8:58 p.m.

"Lame is thinking that the y will do much better against UT's defense than it did last week."

Big Blue, do you really think it is lame to expect a team to show some improvement in the second game? It seems lame to me for one to expect the first game to be the peak of the season.

• Big Hapa Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 8, 2011 8:11 p.m.

It is clear that it is time to put up or shut up, Saturday night is comin fast.

• Wally West SLC, UT
    Sept. 8, 2011 7:35 p.m.

Speaking of "trickeration", byu ran a play from the wildcat this past saturday for the 1st time to my recollection.

This formation is played out (said the Dolphins fan). I did find it amusing that byu ran it against Ole Miss as their OC (David Lee) brought it from Arkansas to S Beach.

As for play calling, I prefer the philosophy usaed by Gibbs in his 1st tenure w/ the Redskins... minimum # of plays w/ lots of formation & motion.

Neither, UTx or byu IMO need to run alot of trick plays

• Ironmomo Ogden, Utah
    Sept. 8, 2011 7:06 p.m.

Trick play from Texas??...hmmm let me see....how bout this; with Texas up 43-0 on BYU they try an onside kick?

You're right...it's a dumb trick....and besides it's been done before.

• Benhur Everett, WA
    Sept. 8, 2011 7:06 p.m.

Doman & Heaps find their sea legs ...
    BYU - 54
    Texas - 24

Utah fears are realized ...
    USC - 38
    Utah - 10

• rlsintx Plano, TX
    Sept. 8, 2011 6:45 p.m.

Utah will be destroyed by USC.

BYU - it'll be a 14 point game one way or the other... they better show up to play from down 1, or it will be over soon after.

Sept. 8, 2011 6:19 p.m.

Hey its too bad USU some how found a way to blow that one in Auburn, I predict USU doesn't win a game the rest of the season, and you can take that to the bank, because arent we all about predicting insane results, wink wink,

BYU 24
    Texas 17

USC 56
    Utah 0

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 8, 2011 5:25 p.m.

Lame is thinking that the y will do much better against UT's defense than it did last week. Lame is thinking that your school, that has never even been to a BCS bowl, is worthy of NC discussions simply because your coach has a goal. Lame is all of the local hype about a quarterback that appears to be only half as good as he thinks he is.

For the record, I would say that less than 20 points is considerably less than 37. The y could get lucky again at the end of the game and end up closer to 20 than 10. Fortunately for the cougs Brown isn't one to run up the score in the second half.

• BlueNtheFace Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Sept. 8, 2011 4:53 p.m.

I can't remember even one trick play that has worked against BYU in recent years. To be honest, I only recall the Utes trying several with players like Shaky, Casteel, and Weddle. And BYU's D blew them all up, nothing even close.

Maybe these Texas athletes will have better luck. We'll have to see it to believe it. BYU's D tends to stay in their lanes and they don't over-pursue, so trick plays don't have as much effect.

Go Cougars. Beat the Longhorns!!

BYU 24
    Texas 17

• Ted H. Midvale, UT
    Sept. 8, 2011 4:27 p.m.

Big Blue,

That sting from Saturday feel any better?

I love that it doesn't. I love knowing the BYU win hurt you. I love knowing the one of the biggest choke jobs in the history of NCAA football came courtesy of your beloved Aggies.

Frankly, I was pulling for Utah State.

However, I love knowing the loss crushed you. I absolutely love it.

• Starfarer Mesa, AZ
    Sept. 8, 2011 4:17 p.m.

Jonathan Eddy

Best comment of the day.

Go Big Blue!!!

Lame prediction. At least, if you are going to predict, be a man about it.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    Sept. 8, 2011 4:17 p.m.

Hopefully someone is keying Doman in about using some trick plays. That was one thing that did separate Scovil and Chow from all other BYU OC's. Doman doesn't have to have 50 plays... even 2 or 3 good ones to begin with would be appreciated.

• Bo Diddley Tech SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 8, 2011 4:09 p.m.

UT 42
    BYU 14

Utah 35
    USC 10

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 8, 2011 3:09 p.m.

UT 37
    y considerably less

• JonnyDanger HOUSTON, TX
    Sept. 8, 2011 3:04 p.m.

I was talking about that "Intent to Deceive" penalty the other day... Is it true that it boils down to trickery before the snap? If it was an accidental snap and fumble nobody would have called it. For all intents and purposes Max was just another back in motion when the ball was snapped. Wouldn't it be intent to deceive when you line up in a FG or punt formation but then run a fake? It looked like a weak call to me...

• Devin American Fork, UT
    Sept. 8, 2011 2:34 p.m.

We all know it's going to be a good game. BYU has been vigorously working out the kinks of last weeks game all week long. If texas thinks they can just roll over us, they are going to be in for a surprise. I think BYU is going to dish out some trick plays of their own. Two can play that game.

• Old Gregg Alpine, UT
    Sept. 8, 2011 2:05 p.m.

I like Chris B's strategy here..., lay low for a few days after being humiliated by his poor predictions and then come back on the comment boards just a few days for the game with more poor predictions. Not sure what he's trying to accomplish but a good strategy non the less.

I think BYU is in for a fight. And knowing that the tricks will come at some point can really play mental games. As long as BYU just plays fundamental defense those trick plays shouldn't hurt them too bad.

• Jonathan Eddy Payson, UT

Sept. 8, 2011 1:20 p.m.

Texas 31
    byu 17

Utah 31
    USC 21

Sept. 8, 2011 1:16 p.m.

@Cougarblue, you guys must have different rules in California. I am a high school football official, according to NFHS rules that is an illegal play. It is deception before the snap. Deception is only allowed to take place after the snap according to the NFHS rules. Cheeseman187 is correct about the college rule also.

• RepresentBlue West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 8, 2011 1:12 p.m.

BYU used a similar play a couple of time where Max Hall pretended to be looking at the sidelines for the play call, then Unga took a direct snap. The first time they ran that play was against Utah in 2008 and they scored a TD. The second time was the following year against Air Force and they got flagged for something called "Intent to Deceive", which sounds really funny because isn't that the whole point of a "trick" play - to deceive the defense? At any rate BYU never ran that play again.

• dustman Nampa, ID
    Sept. 8, 2011 1:10 p.m.

Isn't every play a trick play? I think that's the whole purpose of having a huddle instead of just telling the Defense what you're going to do.

• soundofreason south jordan, ut
    Sept. 8, 2011 1:07 p.m.

Texas won't need trick plays if their qb can hit the receivers. Our corners aren't good at all, and I see that being our biggest weakness for this game. However I am hopeful, and still feel like BYU will come out victorious.

• cheeseman187 Costa Mesa, CA
    Sept. 8, 2011 12:57 p.m.

Cougar, that play wouldn't fly at the college level. You can do trick plays, but none that involved false substitutions or the sidelines in any way.

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    Sept. 8, 2011 12:33 p.m.

I witnessed a great trick play by our high school team in California. One of our players ran quickly to the sidelines and stood there nonchalantly talking to the coach. The other team assumed he had left the game and was on the sidelines. When the ball was snapped the coach told the player to run. He ran down the sidelines past the defense and hauled in a 60 TD pass, much to the chagrin of the other team for not paying attention.