Dick Harmon: The message behind the message in Bronco Mendenhall's T-shirt

• Silent Observer SLC, UT
    Sept. 12, 2011 2:18 p.m.

I am an active member of the LDS church. I do not wish to be "represented" by BYU or Mendenhall. I do not want to be associated with the hypocrisy they emulate.

• sfurules VANCOUVER, WA
    Sept. 10, 2011 2:55 a.m.

@fresnogirl -

I have not spent much time on the Deseret News site, so I'm not familiar with most of the particular posters here (besides Hedgehog and Chris B of course...they have legend status). As a matter of fact, I signed up just today.

I do however have years and years and many thousands of posts over on cougarboard, and I can tell you, definitively, that there were/are a lot of BYU fans crying themselves to sleep because of the 'injustice' that was the grey "Band of Brothers" shirt that Bronco DARED to wear (just like he did last season, if I remember correctly......).

So while you are maybe correct in the microcosm of this comment section, I still maintain that my analysis is correct, and that way to many BYU fans are caring way too much about what our coach wears.

• Rando305 Miami, FL
    Sept. 9, 2011 1:45 p.m.

@Linus - yes it is surprising to see LDS people hate BYU. I know those Utes cringe at thinking their tithing dollars may be supporting the adversary. They seem to forget that the local cougar fans state taxes are going to the U. Years ago, I worked for a professor at the U who was also a Bishop and rabid BYU hater. So much dissonnance is difficult for me to cope with. I don't know how he did it.
    I think much of the hate comes from the fact that most Utes will be asked at some point in their life why they didn't go to BYU. They have to come up with a reason. Sometimes the reason isn't something they want to admit - so they latch onto the popular reasons like 'I didn't need to be that insulated' or 'I wasn't desperately for a wife' or 'it isn't accredited'. I can't recall anyone that goes to BYU required to justify why they didn't go to the U.

• Rando305 Miami, FL
    Sept. 9, 2011 1:40 p.m.

@representblue - I think if you reread the comment about pharisees - it was not an accusation directed towards those that don't like the shirt. I was trying to point out the problem of judging others by our own standards. It's great to be stone cold sober. It's great that the university is recognized by that as well. It is bad when students pride themselves in the status and place themselves above others because of the honor code. The honor code is one of the main reasons to go to BYU, unless it fills you with pride.

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    Sept. 9, 2011 11:43 a.m.

Hmmm ... having read the comments, I think the majority of the people who even care what he wears (except Katie who REALLY likes the t-shirt) are not Cougar fans. They are the same sad Utes who whine and complain about the minutia of everything Cougar. Last year they were busy calling for Bronco to be fired and trying to convince everyone that Cougar fans wanted him fired. Then they were the same ones who spent enormous amount of server space trying to convince everyone that Coach Rose was heading north.

Seems like a waste of energy to me.

• Linus Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 9, 2011 11:09 a.m.

It is puzzling to me to read comments from Latter-day Saints who say that Bronco and BYU don't represent them or their church. President Gordon B. Hinckley stated that Brigham Young University is a part of the church. Every worthy and contributing member of the church supports BYU financially, and helps to provide an education for every BYU student.

When will you learn how to cheer for more than one university on the planet? For a variety of valid reasons, a majority of my eleven children graduated from the University of Utah. We have many Ute fans in our family. Although a minority graduated from BYU, we are Latter-day Saints, so we are all Cougar fans. Why choose to be haters? I don't get it.

• sfurules VANCOUVER, WA
    Sept. 9, 2011 9:50 a.m.

It's things like this that drive me nuts about BYU fans...and I am a HUGE BYU fan.

Seriously? You think anyone cares what a coach wears during a football game? You really think that someone in Mississippi was watching the game and thought, "Boy, I sure hate those Mormons because their coach wore a T-shirt....". And that's the funny part...all of the outrage comes because of what you assume OTHER people think...not because of what you actually think. Get over the persecution complex already...

Many BYU fans have a complete inability to understand how we are perceived in the world and the REASONS for those perceptions. If someone doesn't like BYU it has nothing to do with the shirt that our coach wore. And conversely...if someone loves BYU, THEY DON'T CARE WHAT SHIRT THE COACH WEARS.

The people who think Bronco did some horrible thing by wearing that shirt (even though it has BIG meaning to the kids on the team), probably are the same people that think that if you have facial hair, or wear something other than a white shirt to church that you are less worthy to be there....

• Zoniezoobie Mesa, AZ
    Sept. 9, 2011 7:21 a.m.

It's also been Bronco's tradition to never wash his ball cap during the season. I wonder if that's true for the t-shirt? We'll find out on Saturday in Austin.

• Katiebugg Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 8, 2011 3:57 p.m.

Henry Drummond

I Loved the fedora comment. Too funny!

I don't know what you are talking about. His T-shirt fits fine. Don't believe me? On Saturday, when they show him on the sideline raising his fist in solidarity like he does when his boys do good, turn and ask the female sitting next to you if his t-shirt fits him well....

As far as the suits go, I've noticed that really muscular guys have a hard time finding shirts that fit, because if they fit them in the shoulders then the necks are too big.

• kaixuan Urbana, MD
    Sept. 8, 2011 3:21 p.m.

The t-shirt is fine...but not the t-shirt tucked into slacks. Gotta go one way or the other, Bronco.

Love Band of Brothers and what you're doing with the team, though.

• EagleMountainUte EAGLE MOUNTAIN, UT
    Sept. 8, 2011 3:20 p.m.

It never amazes me the comments in this section from so called Trolls and the Zoobies. There are a few utah fans out of control that are looking only to get a reaction from the Y fans. I do not understand why the uproar of some Y fans that Bronco wears a tshirt with a slogan. Many universities have so called slogans or sayings that they have used to motivate and gel their players. Some have had these traditional phrases for some time such as Utah man am I or Rise and shout the cougars are out. It is irritating to me to see BYU zoobies on their soap boxes whining about a tshirt when it is the mans actions that tell you more about who he is. Some would probably like to see Bronco in a white shirt, tie and suit on the sidelines with a little black nametag. Bronco represents BYU well. He is a good fit as 'Bishop' of the program. Bronco does not represent me as a member of the church and neither does BYU. IF there are players that make a mistake it may reflect poorly on this institution, but it does not represent me

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Sept. 8, 2011 2:32 p.m.

I like the shirt and what it means. I think he should wear a fedora though and then challenge Dick Harmon figure out what it means. :-)

• lampa Mc Kinney, TX
    Sept. 8, 2011 1:42 p.m.

Love Mendenhall!

• RepresentBlue West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 8, 2011 1:04 p.m.

A lot of absolutes used by people in this thread. Pharisees? Whited sepulchures? Really? Let's dial down the rhetoric just a tad folks. If Bronco wants to wear the gray t-shirt then fine, I just don't think it looks professional. I am not saying he is a sinner or he is misrepresenting the LDS church or anything as dramatic as that. I would simply prefer he dressed more professionally when he is going to be seen by millions of people all over the country. But if wearing a gray t-shirt on the sidelines is going to help him bond with his players and win more games then so be it.

• LoveMySports Syracuse, UT
    Sept. 8, 2011 1:02 p.m.

I can't believe Bronco wore a t-shirt!! That's it...I'm going inactive!!!

• SammFan Sammamish, WA
    Sept. 8, 2011 12:30 p.m.

Can we get him a T-Shirt that fits, though? I'm alarmed with myself that I was thinking about his shirt but I thought the same thing during the Pre-game show when he was in his suit.

Bronco - you're awesome! and I'm down with the T-Shirt style/statement/concept... HOWEVER, get some friendly - but expert - fashion advice about the suit and tie and the shirt size. Go Cougars!

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    Sept. 8, 2011 12:27 p.m.

A tee-shirt-wearing football coach looks a lot smarter and fashionable than one wearing a suit with a tie. Now that looks dorky on the sideline.

Carry on Bronco and Go Cougars!

• oldcougar Orem, UT
    Sept. 8, 2011 10:27 a.m.

As a church member, I'm frankly embarrassed by all the silly comments criticizing Bronco for attire that doesn't properly represent the church or BYU. Your comments, rather than the t-shirt, harm the reputation of the church and its members, portraying us as superficial, petty, and self-righteous. The t-shirt represents all that's good about Bronco and BYU football

And Kyle's goatee rocks too!
    And the Ute trolls need to get a job and a life.

• In Stitches Provo, Utah
    Sept. 8, 2011 10:26 a.m.

Seriously?! In 2 days, Utah face USC and BYU faces Texas and THIS is what we are worried about?!

So Bronco wears t-shirts. Majerus wore ugly sweaters. Who cares?

• plyxply SLC, UT
    Sept. 8, 2011 9:52 a.m.

I still wear my Quest for Perfection T-shirt under my suit every Sunday because, well as we all have been told, it has nothing to do with winning games (obviously), it's about trying to be perfect in all that you do.
    On another note, does anyone know that last BYU qb to lose to both Utah and Utah State in the same season (before Heaps of course)? Was it John Walsh?

• fish8 Vernal, UT
    Sept. 8, 2011 9:51 a.m.

This is sporting event, not a musical. I've never figured out why a coach is expected to wear a suit and tie. A polo shirt with the same saying isn't the same. The grey t shirt is what you wear at practice and while working hard. The coach wants to show he is working hard and expects the same from his team.

• There's always room for Jello Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 8, 2011 8:38 a.m.

Whatever would Dick Harmon write about if he didn't have the Utes' comments on the BYU boards to give him ideas?

Seriously, the only folks who pretend to care about this are the trolls. They've attacked his t-shirt because they can't attack his coaching. As one poster stated on a different article: I guess I must have missed the pre-game red carpet show!

• oldcougar Orem, UT
    Sept. 8, 2011 8:16 a.m.

@ RepresentBlue
    You're fired for that comment!

• rlsintx Plano, TX
    Sept. 8, 2011 8:11 a.m.

I like the shirt, and the coach. He's a good one.

• oldcougar Orem, UT
    Sept. 8, 2011 8:10 a.m.

@ GoGetter

The church owns your cultural hall. What is appropriate attire while playing b-ball or v-ball in the gym? Please, folks, let's judge the man by the content of his character and by his behavior...not by the color or quality of his t-shirt. Should we swap the Nike swoosh for an emblem of the Angel Moroni? Let's let character shine...not outward appearance.

• oldcougar Orem, UT
    Sept. 8, 2011 7:59 a.m.

From Old Cougar to Mature Y Fan: Lighten up. He's a football coach forging a bond with his players. No one with any sense will think less of BYU or of Mormons because Bronco wears a T-shirt. Give me a break.

• CougarOnTheProwl Murray, UT
    Sept. 7, 2011 10:33 p.m.

Bronco can wear whatever shirt he wants as far as im concerned, he is one heckuva coach and a perfect fit at BYU. I like that he considers himself equal to the players, thats a great amount of team unity that you dont often see and when a coach has as much trust and respect in and from his players as Bronco does that is a great sign.

• cougarNV Las Vegas, NV
    Sept. 7, 2011 10:28 p.m.

at Y Grad/Y Dad-

I appreciate your perspective. Well said.

Go Cougars!

• Duh west jordan, ut
    Sept. 7, 2011 10:16 p.m.

And to think I never gave it a second thought. I was too into the game to care. Go Bronco and go Cougars.

• yonkers Fort Worth, TX
    Sept. 7, 2011 10:15 p.m.

There isn't anything wrong with Bronco Mendenhall wearing a T-Shirt. The shirt does not look sloopy. NO way. I'll tell ya, what looks sloopy Ex-ND Coach when he was walking across the field!

BTW I'd like to buy couple of those T-shirts. They're cool...

• Dr Rosenrosen Gilbert, AZ
    Sept. 7, 2011 9:56 p.m.

@ UtahBronco: guess it's a good thing Bronco isn't wearing the shirt for you then. Pretty sure neither he nor his players are at all concerned with what you think of their attire.

• Dr Rosenrosen Gilbert, AZ
    Sept. 7, 2011 9:52 p.m.

You had to know the Ute trolls couldn't resist this one. Gotta hand it to them, they never disappoint. And there is no depth they wont sink to in order to insult a good man and football coach.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Sept. 7, 2011 9:47 p.m.

Look, folks, it isn't just a t-shirt with an emotional slogan. You forget that Bronco EARNS the right to wear that t-shirt. He pushes himself, he competes with the players, he runs the mountain. None of this, "do as I say," stuff.

This is why he turned the defense around. He earned their respect and their trust BEFORE he demanded more of them than they thought they had.

The shirt is just the surface of what is real underneath. You may mock if you wish, because they don't care. You may criticize to whoever you think will listen, but if they understand how Bronco exercises leadership, they won't listen to you.

I'd like to get a shirt too. I haven't earned the right to wear it, but somehow, I think these men will not be as critical of who wears the shirt as some of you have been.

• Mudd Lehi, UT
    Sept. 7, 2011 9:45 p.m.

I am a fashion conscious woman who has watched a lot of football over many, many years and have never once noticed what the coach was wearing. It's football, not a fashion show. Do all of you people who are commenting negatively on what Bronco wears, understand how utterly elitist snotty you sound? Seriously? Who cares??

• UtahBronco Lehi, UT
    Sept. 7, 2011 9:18 p.m.

@ BYUCOLORADO 4:32 pm

As an LDS person (and not a BYU fan) I never considered that Bronco represents me (as one of "all of the Mormons"). What am I missing? FWIW, my opinion is that the tee shirt comes across as corny and sophomoric. Anyway, best wishes to the Cougars vs. Texas.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Sept. 7, 2011 8:54 p.m.

So, the white shirt and tie crowd want a person who works outside, to dress up and represent the church properly?

I get tired of people worrying what others choose to wear.

I think Bronco looks great (and I like Kyle's "Van Dyke"...)

• Hawkyo SYRACUSE, UT
    Sept. 7, 2011 8:37 p.m.

Anyone here remember the Washington game in 1996?(I still have nightmares myself) I read in the Herald afterwards that players reported fighting before the game about which socks to wear with the road whites uniforms. Talk about a lack of proper focus. That game broke my heart as a cougar fan who was just too young to remember the only undefeated season in BYU history. 14-1 is great, but 15-0 would have been better. All of this talk about style, and clothing is pointless! Look what it did in '96! Focus on the defense, the offense, the special teams, and taking every game as serious as the National Championship, because that's literally what it is. Lose that focus, and we're just another also ran.

• JediMormon Omaha, NE
    Sept. 7, 2011 8:09 p.m.

I was in Walmart the other day and came across some printed tee-shirts that, from the front, looked like a tuxedo. Complete with tie, hanky in the breast pocket, white shirt, the works.

• bluecoug89 Highland, UT
    Sept. 7, 2011 8:07 p.m.

It says in the article that most other coaches are wearing polo shirts, etc. but Bronco isn't most other coaches.

• CalJac LOS GATOS, CA
    Sept. 7, 2011 6:58 p.m.

If my memory serves me correctly, one of the most appropriately attired college coaches (hint: crimson sweater vest & tie) is not who most people want representing their school or coaching their kids. I think it's great that Bronco doesn't care what some stuffed shirts think about his game day shirt. All he cares about is forging a bond with his players, and winning games. I'd much rather have a plainly dressed warrior, than a properly attired loser. Can you say Jim Tressel???

• RaininTime Orem, UT
    Sept. 7, 2011 6:50 p.m.

The real question is where can I get one of those for game day?

• defibman Syracuse, UT
    Sept. 7, 2011 6:42 p.m.

Has anyone checked out what all the other coaches of other sports at BYU wear? Check out women's softball, soccer and other sports! Check out other Universities!

I think he looks fine and is connecting with his players.

• JustGordon Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 7, 2011 6:36 p.m.

Since Shakespeare's Harry invokes the phrase before the Battle of Agincourt and Stephen Ambrose made it the title of his book about Easy Company, 506th Regiment of the 101st Airborne...isn't Bronco's use of the phrase clearly hyperbole.

But then being hyperbolic is something folks in Happy Valley do so well. Especially those who wear the blue.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    Sept. 7, 2011 6:14 p.m.

I get what people are saying in terms of representing the Church and what not, but this is also football. It's not about his appearance, but what his style of dress represents and how it has brought the BYU defense together. Ask any leader of the church, including the President, or the Quorom of the Twelve if they feel that leading by example is the best form of leadership, and they would agree with you. Mendenhall has done that, and his players have bought into what BYU stands for, how their style of play should be, and would run through a wall for him. The mental concepts of what Coach Mendenhall has taught his players, playing 100% until the last down, is what won them the game on last Saturday.

Go Cougs! Go beat Texas!

Sept. 7, 2011 4:57 p.m.

"Best defensive coach in the country?" I'd give that title to Nick Saban.

• Flames6 North Salt Lake, UT
    Sept. 7, 2011 4:53 p.m.

• boiseblue Eagle, ID
    Sept. 7, 2011 4:38 p.m.

So can't he wear a nice shirt over it like his players? I made this exact comment to those who were watching the game with me...."what's up with the t-shirt?" I think it looks real tacky!

• Louisiana Cougar Pineville, LA
    Sept. 7, 2011 4:37 p.m.

I laughed when I saw how Bronco was dressed at Oxford. He looked grungy, in a word.

The message is great. That shirt is ugly!

• JRJ Pocatello, ID
    Sept. 7, 2011 4:37 p.m.

Go, Bronco!! And the bit o' Shakespeare ain't bad either.

• II Las Vegas, NV
    Sept. 7, 2011 4:35 p.m.

My first thought when I saw Bronco in a t-shirt was "Yes!" And the symbolism is important. You naysayers wear your fashion statments. Bronco has more important things to worry about on game day, like the synergism with his players. They'll wear ties to church, don't worry about that. The symbolic battles are on a football field, not a fashion runway. I hope BYU never goes the way of Oregon or Maryland fashion consciousness. The cheerleaders and band can dress up. Let the players work ethic be their statment. BTW Bronco, a hoodie will be fine when the snow starts falling...

• eagle Provo, UT
    Sept. 7, 2011 4:35 p.m.

I like the t-shirt but I think it would all look better and unified if the entire coaching staff wore the same t-shirt.

• just-a-fan Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 7, 2011 4:32 p.m.

I think it's great. Bronco wears his beliefs on the sleeve (and his upper torso) and it's great to see it. But I have to agree with some others...why do we care? People pretty much know how Bronco is mand people either love him or not. For me, he's awesome.

• BYUCOLORADO Castle Rock, CO
    Sept. 7, 2011 4:32 p.m.

I like how Bronco represents the school and all of the Mormons. He does it with how he lives his life and not by a sweater vest and tie. He isn't helping solve a merger or acquisition, he is coaching a sports team. I am glad he doesn't take himself too seriously.

Let's not worry about what clothes people are wearing, ever. Reminds me of Jesus' words concerning the "whited sepulchers." I remember I heard the phrase "every member a mission president" a lot when I was a missionary which was a comment on how members wanted to always make sure the missionaries were living according to how the members wanted them to live. You could replace that here with "every fan an athletic director." How about we let Tom and Bronco decide how they want to conduct themselves and not worry about what clothes Bronco wears. Give me a break.

• lasermann Orem, UT
    Sept. 7, 2011 4:24 p.m.

Bronco should wear whatever inspires him and motivates his team. The great thing about him is that he could not possibly care less what you or I think about what he wears.

Sweater vests are for sissies!

• WillTheWolf SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 7, 2011 4:23 p.m.

At least he doesn't have a stupid goatee. Show me one coach of a promotable program who has a goatee. There are none. I know the goatee is a Utah fashion statement (especially for football coaches), but it's time to shave that thing off Kyle; you aren't 25 anymore.

• Rando305 Miami, FL
    Sept. 7, 2011 3:53 p.m.

One thing that every student, alumni and fan of BYU could do to improve the image of the school is to eliminate our pharisaic tendencies.
    Out of fear of being disobedient, the pharisees created a stricter code of behavior for themselves. Distancing themselves from sin was the plan for being clean. The sin of the pharisees is not that they hold themselves to a higher standard - it is that they hold others to their arbitrarily chosen standard. The Lord's refusal to uphold those standards got him killed for Sabbath breaking.
    Countless times fans insinuate that their beer drinking friends to the north are somehow children of a lesser god. Drinking beer is only a sin if you are a Mormon. It's only a sin because you have commit not to do it.
    Stop holding ourselves up as 'a light' to the world. Integrity is sufficient. Holding ourselves up as examples for others reaks of self-righteousness and is destined to expose hippocricy at some point.
    Do the right thing because it is right - not because you believe you should be a good example. Do the right thing for the right reason; because it's right.

• RepresentBlue West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 7, 2011 3:41 p.m.

I am not a fan of the gray t-shirt. I get what Bronco is trying to do to build a rapport with his players, but I think it is unprofessional of him to wear that attire on national TV when he is representing BYU. You look at all the other coaches and they are wearing nice blue polo shirts, and look more professional. If I wore a shirt like that to my job I would be fired.

• GeorgiaCoug GROVETOWN, GA
    Sept. 7, 2011 3:38 p.m.

I drove 8+ hours to Mississippi for the game. I was fortunate to also attend the fireside on Friday evening. I will tell you that Coach wore a suit and gave an excellent talk. I was able to talk to him afterward and he signed my BYU flag. I think for game day he should wear what he feels is appropriate as he did during the fireside. Don't you think if it was inappropriate that the AD would tell him?
    By the way, the game was a blast. I wish it wouldn't have taken to the 4th quarter to take the lead, but a win is a win. The Ole Miss fans were respectful, I didn't here a single negative word, nothing like attending a game at Utah. I've been there, done that too.

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 7, 2011 3:33 p.m.

wly123 - Thanks for the background. Helped me understand the tee-shirt better.

Bronco might think about not tucking the tee-shirt in though -- bad style.

• nottyou Riverton, UT
    Sept. 7, 2011 3:11 p.m.

I would like it if Whittingham wore a red polo shirt that said, "Band of Sisters." That would honor Utah women's sports in general.

• wly123 Keller, TX
    Sept. 7, 2011 3:04 p.m.

If you understand the story behind the quote, it is easy to see what Bronco is saying. On Saint Crispins day,(October 25), in 1415 at the Battle of Agincourt in France, with about 12,000 English long bowmen and knights, King Henry V, faced a French army of about 33,000. Henry won. Legend has it the night before the battle Henry was asked if he wished he had more men. Henry said no, and offered safe passage for any who did not have the heart to fight and die with him he didnt want them to cheapen his coming victory. He went on to talk about the bravery and strength of his men and his total confidence in them. He ends his speech with the idea that future generations will remember and revere the courage and deeds Henry and his men accomplished on St Crispins day: And Crispin [day] shall ne'er go by, From this day to the ending of the world, But we in it shall be remembered- We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he to-day that sheds his blood with me Shall be my brother

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Sept. 7, 2011 2:56 p.m.

"I have no problem with Coach Mendenhall wearing his t-shirt symbolizing his bond with his defense as long as he wears it under a more fitting attire that displays to the country the image that I believe the university should represent"

Hey dude: we'll let you have your opinion.

The t-shirt rocks. Let's poll the players - see what they say.

• Flame of the West Southern, Cali
    Sept. 7, 2011 2:53 p.m.

Maybe he should wear a tuxedo and tails and also lead the band. This is football people, not sunday school. I am not a huge fan of The Look (t-shirt, bulky headset, cord and belt hung transever, hat brim festooned with stickers), but maybe he could get long sleeves for that shirt and be like a Bo Pelini minus the big mouth. Loved the Jim Tressel sweater vest comment...see where that got him!

• DD JayMario American Fork, UT
    Sept. 7, 2011 2:43 p.m.

Nobody rocks the grey BOB t-shirt like Bronco. He's a unique coach in charge of a very unique program. He should wear what makes him comfortable.

• I-Bleed-Blue ROANOKE, VA
    Sept. 7, 2011 2:41 p.m.

Excellent article, thanks!

• GoGetter Sandy, UT
    Sept. 7, 2011 2:39 p.m.

I really don't see a problem with a coach wearing a t-shirt.... however, if it is the school owned by the church, I do believe he should have upgraded a little bit, polo shirt would have been just fine.

And it seems like it's another slow day in the newsroom huh, Dick?

Stories of fashion now.

• DarenAZ Placentia, CA
    Sept. 7, 2011 2:07 p.m.

Who cares that he wears a T-shirt people!! His dress does not depict his representation of the church; however, his charcter, morals, work ethic and integrity do. Hes not at church or a business meeting.

• Lone Star Cougar Plano, TX
    Sept. 7, 2011 2:02 p.m.

As long as it works, use it. By the way, Is it possible the rest of us can get one too?

• drbarbiedpm GRAHAM, WA
    Sept. 7, 2011 1:38 p.m.

I agree with more mature Y fan. That's fine if you want to wear the T-shirt underneath more appropriate attire. A shirt and tie would be nice but a polo shirt would suffice. We had a large group here watching the game and there were several comments about the T-shirt being inappropriate. Even Jim Tressel wore a sweater vest.

As head coach, you are representing the university and the church. The T-shirt looked sloppy. The team played the way the coach looked. Hopefully both will look better against Texas.

• IDC Boise, ID
    Sept. 7, 2011 1:31 p.m.

I don't care what he wears. The players like it and the players follow him. Now go beat Texas!

• gonefishn Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 7, 2011 1:20 p.m.

Bronco says and does a lot of things that are annoying to a lot of Utah fans and BYU fans alike but what T shirt he wears is not one of them. Most of the complaints about Bronco stem from his "unique" phrases, speaking style and what is percieved as his condesention. His philosophy and his dress are not every really in question. I have a feeling that most BYU fans would not mind if he rolled out in some sweatpants and flip flops as long as he keeps his overall philosophy and winning ways.

• riseup PROVO, UT
    Sept. 7, 2011 1:17 p.m.

I think Bronco Mendenhall is the best college football coach. I love how he embraces that BYU is different than other programs, instead of apologizing for it. What he has done for the program is phenomenal as a head coach and as the defensive coordinator.

If the "Band of Brothers" t-shirt is to become a regular thing I'd like to suggest he wear navy pants. The khaki and heather grey combo did not impress.

Or perhaps Bronco could talk to Nike and create a gameday "Band of Brothers" polo.

• Benhur Everett, WA
    Sept. 7, 2011 1:17 p.m.

Don't care what Bronco chooses to wear, if they win. Cougars could benefit from working smarter, not always harder. They might have been touchdowns ahead of lower tier SEC team with a much better planned, practiced, & executed passing attack. Then no need to pull out a defensive win at last minute by the band of brothers. Defense looked pretty awesome though.

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    Sept. 7, 2011 1:13 p.m.

I agree with SoCalUtahFan. maybe bronco ought to wear the slimming black attire of the crimson utes's man, kyle. he is so pretty and looks so good and hey, maybe this will help bronco lead the team to a squeaker victory over say, montana state.

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    Sept. 7, 2011 1:10 p.m.

Bronco wear whatever you want!!! You rock! Play ball!!!

• SoonerCougarJr. Tooele, UT
    Sept. 7, 2011 12:50 p.m.

I love the t-shirt? It's a football game, not a fireside.

And hey, it's even a few steps up from that ratty sweatshirt Belicheck wears.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Sept. 7, 2011 12:45 p.m.

I like it. Bronco has unique qualities that make him a perfect fit as BYU's head coach. This T-shirt is a part of who he is. I wouldn't if I were him and I am a big BYU fan, but I support him all the way if that is what he want's to do. They players seen to understand it and him and that is much more important than what the detractors or even the fans think.

• XelaDave Salem, UT
    Sept. 7, 2011 12:38 p.m.

If t-shirts get wins or bow-ties- whatever works- as for Bronco representing the Church I think that would be news to many- yes he is visible but again wins will be more visible and do more than any clothing he happens to wear- well- within reason I suppose

• Kateybug Riverton, UT
    Sept. 7, 2011 12:34 p.m.

I think people need to lighten up. BYU represents the LDS church by how their coaches/athletes behave on and off the field, not because a coach wears a t-shirt vs. a nylon 'dressier' shirt.

• More Mature Y Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 7, 2011 12:27 p.m.

I have no problem with Coach Mendenhall wearing his t-shirt symbolizing his bond with his defense as long as he wears it under a more fitting attire that displays to the country the image that I believe the university should represent.

You're not going to the gym to work out, coach. You're representing all of the millions of members of the LDS Church be they BYU fans or not. I'm not saying that he should wear a suit but an upgrade in his appearance certainly would be more on the line with my taste and I believe with the image that most LDS members would like to see.

• estreetshuffle Window Rock, AZ
    Sept. 7, 2011 12:27 p.m.

The answer is: This is a blue collar team; in the trenches where no glory exists. You only have your brother to rely on to move on.

• WHAT NOW? Saint George, UT
    Sept. 7, 2011 12:22 p.m.

That shirt epitomizing Bronco, as well as his natural family "eclectic" brothers, as well as his promotion/hire of Doman, Cahoon and "Dupaix" are just some of the reasons I enjoy following BYU Football.

If you don't play hard (cleaned up for DN readers), you don't play.

There is not an entitled coach or player on that football team.

What about Heaps? Heaps showed me he is a competitor, when he came back after that "pic-6" and competed hard. That is all you can ask a player to do.

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    Sept. 7, 2011 12:05 p.m.

My assistant coach and I used to do things like this to condition our water polo team, to help make up for obvious lack of talent. Most of our opponents coaches said our players wore out their players and they had to do a lot of substitutions. They put in players who rarely got in a match because the first string was wearing out. We came close to some upsets because of this.

Sept. 7, 2011 12:03 p.m.

Wouldn't you just be delighted if your son had a coach like Bronco? With all the stories out there about coaches having alcohol parties, and even call girls for their players, here is a coach who will help them to be strong physically, spiritually and morally and teach them to be honorable men. Wow what a jewel!

• SoCalUtahFan Utesville, CA
    Sept. 7, 2011 11:50 a.m.

No one can deny that Bronco is a very good Fashion Coordinator.

'Quest, 'Bands are very nice T-shirt designs.

On the other hand, I think Kyle needs to hire a FC for Utah.