Sports

BYU football: WR Ross Apo, hooked away from 'Horns, set to visit Austin

Comments

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    Sept. 7, 2011 7:48 p.m.

HC and wwookie

I'm sure this so-so Texas team will be out to win...But I don't think they really have anything on BYU. This isn't BYU's first rodeo with Texas.... they roped, cut, dehorned and branded them twice before...in the old SWC when they were better than they are now..They're steers now in comparison to what they were then...the overall record is 2-0 BYU... BYU is also 2-0 with Oklahoma, 2-1 against A&M and 1-0 against Missouri. But then again they're 0-4 against Iowa State, 0-2 against Oklahoma State 0-1 against Kansas 4-4 against Kansas State and 1-1 against Baylor.

• Kjirstin Youngberg Mapleton, UT
    Sept. 7, 2011 2:17 p.m.

Well, Runner, too bad you're not the coach.

Every Brandon I know manages to step it up when the curtain rises. I'm expecting the best from him, Heaps, Apo (Go-Apo! Go-Apo!) and the entire team.

Yay! It smells like football season!

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Sept. 7, 2011 11:51 a.m.

@ carver:

Boise State also wins with less talent. --Craig?

• Runner Chandler, AZ
    Sept. 7, 2011 11:32 a.m.

I thought going into the season that the biggest question mark would not be the defensive secondary or the offense but Brandon Doman. There is just no substitute for experience and unfortunatly we have to wait for him to get it.

For example:
    Why did Cody Hoffman only catch one ball on Saturday?
    Why didn't BYU go to a more up-tempo offense late in the game, or at any time during the game with their huge advantage in time of possession?
    Why didn't the TE catch more balls when they go 6'4" and the MLB for Ole Miss was 5'9"?

In other words, we are just going to have to wait and bear with patience while we listen to comments from Doman like, "I am learning...I have a lot to learn...We'll get better...blah, blah, blah."

While I think the change in O-Coordinator needed to happen and I think/hope Doman will do well, it is just going to take some time to get experience to be able to game plan, call plays, adjust, attack opponents weaknesses, and manage players all on the fly.

Here's hoping for step 2 this coming Saturday.

• soundofreason south jordan, ut
    Sept. 7, 2011 10:35 a.m.

I think the biggest factor that will determine the outcome of the game is Texas' passing game. Our corners are not good at all so if Gilbert can exploit that, they will score fairly consistently. I expect our offense to perform better but it will all depend on our secondary. I am hopeful that we can effectively stop the run enough to not have to devote any safeties in the box so they can help in coverage.
    Good luck BYU! Go Cougs!

• Honestly?Really? Hurricane, UT
    Sept. 7, 2011 10:25 a.m.

I'm a huge BYU fan and I know we have the talent to win but I really don't see us beating the Longhorns. I bet this will probably be the only loss BYU has this year. Cuz looking at the schedule the rest of the games we have a 50% or better chance to win... Go Cougs! I'm hoping for the best but definitely bracing for the worst in this game.

• rlsintx Plano, TX
    Sept. 7, 2011 9:42 a.m.

Texas is going to be a buzz-saw. It's the BSU offense in burnt orange... best of luck to BYU, which isn't firing on all cylinders yet - especially not finishing drives. Better have their A+ game on or it's going to be a very, very long day in Austin..

• Hawkyo SYRACUSE, UT
    Sept. 7, 2011 9:41 a.m.

Big week ahead for both Utah and BYU. Go Cougs, and Please don't embarrass yourselves Utes!

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    Sept. 7, 2011 9:30 a.m.

Apo definately gets more PT at BYU, at least earlier, than he would have by going to Texas. He wants to play.

I'm surprised Texas is ranked.

Good luck.

• carver Enterprise, UT
    Sept. 7, 2011 9:25 a.m.

Sorry! It's Whit not Witt. Both of these guys are great coaches.

• utefan56 st george, utah
    Sept. 7, 2011 9:21 a.m.

tough game ahead for both the Utes and Byu...good luck!!

• carver Enterprise, UT
    Sept. 7, 2011 9:18 a.m.

I wonder what Witt and Bronco could do with five star recruites? These two coaches sure win a lot of games with less talent per say.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Sept. 7, 2011 8:49 a.m.

Johnny Danger;
    Apo was ranked as the 14th best receiver / recruit in the nation in 2009 with 4 stars. At Texas, he likely would have been a starting receiver by his Junior year. At BYU he starts as a Freshmen and will likely have much better career numbers. If he is as talented as advertised, he will still go high in the NFL draft after a stellar career at BYU. Win / Win.
    UT does get their share of 4 and 5 star athletes in their state but there are a lot that choose to go to one of the other half dozen schools in the state and some who leave the state.
    The biggest challenge is to take those who have tons of talent but lack drive or desire and motivate them. You can get by with talent and a little work in HS but that won't cut it at a place like UT. There are also a lot more ego's to deal with. Each school has their challenges and the ones who get the best recruits aren't always the ones who end up in BCS games or win conference championships.
    That's why the games are played.

• BP Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 7, 2011 8:26 a.m.

From the photo included in the article, it appears that Falslev and Apo need to work on their celebration a little more. Hopefully they'll get a chance to practice in Austin.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Sept. 7, 2011 8:11 a.m.

Please stop whining about interviews with Heaps.

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    Sept. 7, 2011 8:08 a.m.

Apo will definitely get defensed harder than normal. Hope he's up to it.

BYU's advantage over Texas is overall experience. Texas played 18 freshman in their last game.

Texas' advantage over BYU is overall talent. But, that's offset by the inexperience.

BYU should win because of a top-tier defense and the "week 1 to week 2" improvement that should happen for the offense.

Still, I expect a close game.

• Veracity Morgan, UT
    Sept. 7, 2011 7:58 a.m.

Before their college careers are over, Heaps to Apo will be like Stockton to Malone...

• JonnyDanger HOUSTON, TX
    Sept. 7, 2011 7:36 a.m.

I wonder where Ross ranked on Texas' recruiting board for 2009... I imagine he would have been one of their top ten recruits that year, but I doubt he was in the top five. Of course at BYU he may be one of the top 5 or 10 rated recruits ever.
    It will be an interesting game on Saturday because regardless of whether Texas is rebuilding or not you KNOW they have the top athletes from the state of Texas.
    I think we can hang with them if our defensive execution is as good as last week and our offense actually plays their game. Here's hoping Apo shows Texas just what they are missing!

Go Cougars!

• Striker Omaha, NE
    Sept. 7, 2011 7:30 a.m.

I don't blame him for not going to Texas. Who could seriously stand looking at that horrid orange color all the time? Who seriously wants to go to school where a massive animal of the cow family is your mascot? Not very intimidating. Sometimes I wonder how Texas got to be so big given those two factors. Hope Apo gets a TD.

Still, Brown is no slouch of a coach. A win in Austin is a tall order. I still don't know how Iowa State did it last year. Texas really was awful last year. The best part of this game is that BYU will still have a winning record vs. Texas after this game, win or lose. Heck, since they're out there, they might as well win!

• wwookie Payson, UT
    Sept. 7, 2011 6:10 a.m.

Mack Brown would have no problem "stealing one away" from any other program. It's just part of the game.

BYU did get lucky. Apo would have had a better future at Texas, but if he is as talented as they say, he should be fine in Provo. Now he just needs his quarterback to show up and play, otherwise Apo won't have a chance to show what he's really got.

• staypuffinpc Provo, UT
    Sept. 7, 2011 5:27 a.m.

please, stop interviewing Heaps.

• Legal Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 7, 2011 5:11 a.m.

Great to have such a good athlete on the team. If he can stay healthy, the chemistry with Heaps will only get better.

• Honor Code Denver, Colorado
    Sept. 7, 2011 3:16 a.m.

Good luck Kitties!!! You're going to need a lot of rope!