Sports

Utah football: Ute family grieving following death of Tongaonevai's wife

Comments

• Big Pappy west jordan, utah
    Sept. 4, 2011 1:00 p.m.

What a sad,sad story. Ron, you hang in there. Cougar and Ute nation are praying for you and your dear family. Hopefully you will recover from your loss with renewed pourpose in your life and for your future. God bless you.

• ko Ephraim, UT
    Sept. 3, 2011 11:22 a.m.

My heart goes out to the Ron and the families. You'll be in my prayers and thoughts.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 3, 2011 12:43 a.m.

Ron is one of the nicest guys you could meet and the last person you would expect this to happen to. He loved his wife so much and had so many plans for a family life. A lifetime with her still awaits him, but it's unfortunate it can't be here and now. He has been and will continue to be a source of strength and a great example for his team and community. Hopefully they can play the part in lifting him up as he has done so often for them.

• just-a-fan Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 3, 2011 12:06 a.m.

Cougar Nation stands with the Utes in sadness.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 11:30 p.m.

My deepest condolences to Tongaonevai and the families.

• Ignorance is NOT Bliss Glendora, CA
    Sept. 2, 2011 10:43 p.m.

What a tragic, tragic....and senseless loss. My condolences to the family and friends left behind.

With that said, the following has to be one of the worst pieces of journalism I have ever seen. Come on D-news, really?

"Police are still working on a toxicology report for the driver of the Jeep; however, because Davis died, Powell said no criminal charges will be filed."

Who exactly would the charges have been filed against?

• UtahBronco Lehi, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 8:23 p.m.

Terrible news. May our Father in Heaven strengthen and comfort you Ron, and your family, during this trial.

• nunya sacramento, ca
    Sept. 2, 2011 7:51 p.m.

R.I.P Janelle. My prayers go out to the family....that includes the Utah fans....I'm sure many of you feel connected because of your love for the Utes. God bless all that grieve this day and hope the good lord would comfort those that need it most. I am very sorry to hear about your loss.

• David R. SLC, Utah
    Sept. 2, 2011 7:50 p.m.

Do individuals really need to address themselves as BYU fans when they offer up their condolences? Come on people, this tragedy is so far beyond having to bring up what team you support. This is a real life tragedy, you don't need to preface your sympathy with a disclaimer about who you cheer for.

My heart aches for those in pain from this.

• nottyou Riverton, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 5:51 p.m.

May the Lord bless all that are close to this tragedy.

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 5:36 p.m.

Ron,

I, and so many others, are so sad to hear of your loss.

I pray you will find some comfort and strenth through your beliefs, family, coaches, teammates, friends, and fans. All are there for you.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Sept. 2, 2011 5:02 p.m.

Today we are not Ute fans or Cougar fans or Aggie fans, we are one in mourning with our neighbor Ron and our thoughts are with him during this terribly difficult time.

• NeilT Clearfield, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 4:48 p.m.

Another reckless Utah driver speeding and blows a red light. As long as we continue to allow lawlessness on our roads tragedies like this will occur.

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    Sept. 2, 2011 4:46 p.m.

What a terrible tradegy. It certainly puts in perspective what is really important in life. We let sports gain too much importance in our lives. They will be in my prayers.

• oldcougar Orem, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 4:33 p.m.

Horrible news...thoughts and prayers for all affected...especially Ron and families. I know, by the way, that coach Whitt and his staff and team will do all they can to help and comfort...and for all the right reasons...they are a bunch of fine people.

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 4:00 p.m.

Very heart rendering and sad.

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 3:58 p.m.

So sorry about this tragic news. Lean on each other and pause to reflect on the values of life and family that are most precious.

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 3:50 p.m.

Big Ron our thoughts and prayers are with you.

• BigCougFan Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 3:19 p.m.

When things like this happen we realize how insignificant our affiliation with any particular team can be.

God bless Ron and his family as they deal with this tragedy.

• Big J Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 3:13 p.m.

Such sad heartbreaking news. My prayers go out to all of his and her family.

• Runner Chandler, AZ
    Sept. 2, 2011 3:03 p.m.

At times like this we are neither BYU or Utah fans. We are just simply brothers and sisters coming together to mourn the loss of and support this good family. May the Lord bless you and be with you always.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    Sept. 2, 2011 2:44 p.m.

Very sorry to hear of the loss. May God be with ron and his family and that they be blessed and comforted during this time of tragedy.

• Skippy West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 2:38 p.m.

This is very sad news for Ron, his family, the Utes football team,fans, and many others. Hopefully, the families will be touched by all the support they are receiving from so many people they don't even know. I hope they will find peace throughout the coming days.

• SoCalUtahFan Utesville, CA
    Sept. 2, 2011 2:32 p.m.

My sympathies go out to Ron and his family.

Hope he will be able to overcome this tragedy in his life.

• YGradFan CENTERVILLE, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 2:24 p.m.

So sorry to hear about this! Condolences to Ron, his and his wife's families, and to the Utes team. Will have you in our prayers!

• krayb Clearfield, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 2:21 p.m.

I'm a huge Cougar fan, bleed blue thru and thru but when a tragedy like this occurs it goes way beyond team allegiances. Football is just a game but families are what life is all about; my deepest sympathies to Mr Tongaonevai and his family as well as his team mates and friends. My heart goes out to you and I hope the comforter will be with you to calm your heart and sole.

• Hawkyo SYRACUSE, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 2:16 p.m.

I can't imagine going through a loss like that. My heart and prayers are with Ron, and his family. This BYU fan is praying for the best for you. Be there for him Utes!

• metamoracoug metamora, IL
    Sept. 2, 2011 1:52 p.m.

Very sad. Condolences to husband and the Ute team.

• CdA Ute Mason, OH
    Sept. 2, 2011 1:36 p.m.

All our love and condolences to Ron and his family from me any my family in Ohio. Families are forever.

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    Sept. 2, 2011 1:35 p.m.

This is horrible news. My deepest sympathies to Ron and his family.

• KamUte South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 1:34 p.m.

Sorry to hear about this news. This is horrible. Life is so precious so don't forget to tell your family how much you love them. Football means nothing at this moment.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 1:24 p.m.

This is awful. I am so sorry for this young man and his family. I hope they find some comfort but there is no doubt this will be a very hard thing for this family to overcome. Football is meaningless when compared to a family. This is very sad to hear.

• wazzup Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 1:20 p.m.

Sad, sad, sad news!

Hey coach, you cancel the film review if your thoughts are really with Ron and his family. .....that's just my opinion.

• El Chango Supremo Rexburg, ID
    Sept. 2, 2011 12:53 p.m.

Heartbreaking!

• RepresentBlue West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 12:50 p.m.

What a terrible tragedy. I pray that the Lord will bless and comfort you, Ron, during this time of sadness and mourning for your wife. A tragedy like this puts everything, including the silly BYU-Utah rivalry, into perspective.

• bigsoccer Syracuse, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 12:50 p.m.

As a BYU fan my prayers will be with the Tongaonevai's family, what sad and tragic ending, it puts things into perspective, and really football doesn't matter.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 12:43 p.m.

Sometimes we realize that there is more to life than entertainment.

Our hearts and prayers go out to all those affected.

RIP.

• cougarfanmd Price, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 12:32 p.m.

Thoughts and prayers go out to Ron and he and his wife's families.

• kevin4byu Santaquin, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 12:30 p.m.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to Ron, his family and the team. Tragedies like this really put the game into prespective. I hope the best for all involved.

• sdunn Spanish Fork, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 12:29 p.m.

Sorry to hear this we as BYU fans are praying for the whole U family and Ron's family during this tragic time!