Sports

Utah Utes football: Utes less than stellar in 27-10 victory over Montana State

Comments

• fan29 Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 4, 2011 9:41 a.m.

I think Utah has some major problems a QB. Jordan Wynn will not last the year, not because of injury, but because he just isn't that good. Utah should have killed this Montana State team. Utah was pitched a lob ball and they didn't hit it out of the park.

• mindgames Aurora, CO
    Sept. 3, 2011 8:03 p.m.

Whew! BYU wins and Utah wins, but Utah State with a loss looks to be the best team in the state. Congratualtions to the Aggies in a hard fought game. For the independent Cougars it is one game in the win column. Hopefully they will improve for next weeks game with Texas. I was having trouble enjoying this game until the clock was at :00. Maybe when I watch the replay tonight on BYU-TV I will enjoy it more knowing we won. Where can I see the Ute replay?

I did love the defense and especially the play of the front seven. They had the Ole Miss offense stalled all night long. They also hit extremely hard. Teams will be tip-toeing into those holes fearing for their lives.

BYU 1-0
    Utah 1-0
    USU 0-1

Best Start Week 1 --- USU!

• GoodGuyGary Houston, TX
    Sept. 3, 2011 8:02 p.m.

After the first week action of the 3 Utah college teams, I conclude:
    1) Good team will find a way to win, e.g. BYU.
    2) Bad team will find a way to lose, e.g. USU.
    3) Worst team will find a high school team to play, e.g. utah.

• scott182 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 3, 2011 2:56 p.m.

Montana state was thinking, "holy cow, wish we would have played BYU so we could get the win."

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Sept. 3, 2011 7:58 a.m.

@pebbles

Your angst ridden and whiney posts are just about over the edge. Relax. You have never once posted a single thing in any thread that wasn't a whining complaint about BYU fans and how you feel they have 'wronged' you.

Listen, it goes both ways. utah "fans" are all over the BYU articles all of the time doing exactly the same things. Either ignore it or else have some fun with it because with each successive whiney post you are the one that sounds like the immature 5 year old you want to tag on BYU fans only. Im frankly embarrassed for you.

• David in New Mexico Rio Rancho, NM
    Sept. 3, 2011 1:28 a.m.

Utes, it's your O-line. Things are going to be rough unless they step up. QB won't have time and new backs won't have the holes. USC will make O-line problems worse.

Good luck. I hope things are better for one reason: I want to see Norm Chow do well.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 11:28 p.m.

The wife of a University of Utah football player Ron Tongaonevai was killed in a three-car collision late Thursday (after the game).

My deepest condolences to Tongaonevai and the families.

• CoachWinWA POULSBO, WA
    Sept. 2, 2011 10:55 p.m.

The idea people are floating that Utah purposefully held back to "hide" something from USC is ridiculous. Chow isn't reinventing his offense with Utah, he was hired to do what he does and bring his offensive scheme to Utah.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 7:57 p.m.

Dear Scott182: Didn't you catch on to the fact that Otis Spurlock is a troll that is just trying to make BYU fans look bad? You have to be a little more discerning.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 6:11 p.m.

scott182 | 4:38 p.m. Sept. 2, 2011
    Salt Lake City, UT

Well BYU it's your turn to win one.

Go UTES!

===

Sure, what is Montana State doing this weekend?

• Rock Of The Marne Phoenix, AZ
    Sept. 2, 2011 4:55 p.m.

Wow, was preschool cancelled today and that is why all the sorry for an excuse of Y fans are out in force. For a 7-6 team that got blown out by Utah State you guys sure talk tough which makes me laugh as there is nothing to back it up. Also, being on here shows that you have nothing better to do than obsess about Utah which is very little brother like of you. You Y fans on here, by your words, prove to me that you are one of the most insecure fan bases out there. I know it hurts that Utah left you in mid majors but my gosh, grow up as I swear most of you are more immature than my five year old.

• scott182 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 4:44 p.m.

@ Otis Spurlock

Are you serious!!!
    This is why people hate BYU fans, cocky for no reason and no class at all.

How did your foolish quest in 08 work out???

I don't hate BYU, I think they are a tough team, but the fans are so high and mighty about everything it makes me sick.

• scott182 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 4:38 p.m.

Well BYU it's your turn to win one.

Go UTES!

• Mildred in Fillmore Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 2:58 p.m.

After we slaughter Mississippi and Texas, Utah....you're next.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    Sept. 2, 2011 2:33 p.m.

Wynnie With the Do for Heisman....

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 2:10 p.m.

For those of you who are wondering if Utah was "cloaking", or hiding what they do, think if that is really what they did?

Do you understand that Norm Chow comes from the PAC X and what he does will surpise the very few?

Did Blechen purposely throw a live ball on the field inside the ten yard line to cloak smart ball control?

Did Kyle fake a punt on fourth down up twenty to cloak that he might do that again? (Didn't he call the onside kick against Wyoming the biggest mistake of his coaching career?)

Was Wynn missing open recievers, and throwing the ball at the ground to cloak the he is a Heisman quality QB?

Nice job of cloaking White IV.

===

The only team that Utah "cloaked" anything from, was themselves.

They had absolutely no idea what they were doing last night but playing good D in the first quarter. They all looked totally lost during the second half.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 12:52 p.m.

BYUCOLORADO,

You are up in the night. Are you really trying to give credit to Urban Meyer for the 2008 season? Give me a break!

• ZoSo Cornelius, OR
    Sept. 2, 2011 12:30 p.m.

Cloaking the offense?? C'mon people. I just woke up in Pollyannasville. Still, those of you going to the opposite extreme are being a little silly as well. We should have expected that Wynn wouldn't be 100% confident in the repaired shoulder. First game with the new offense. Probably a lot of pressure on them to come out and make a statement against a team that they have never lost to. I expected a rocky start. Wasn't planning on trying to score tickets to the Rose Bowl at the end of this season. Implementing Chow's system isn't going to be seamless, and getting the tempo right is usually always an issue the first game out. I suggest we all have a cocktail and calm down.

• Alterego Ogden, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 12:29 p.m.

Utah's offense looked like UCLA's offense from the last two years.

Chow is calling Ty Detmer later today to offer a formal apology.

• hohum Saint George, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 12:23 p.m.

davidutefan:

I was reading and listening to ESPN and their impression of Ole Miss was that they are good and maybe a year from challenging in the SEC. Go figure, what has been doesn't mean you can project the future. I don't know how the y will do, hope they represent us well. As I do for the u. The season is young, let's enjoy the ride.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 12:15 p.m.

USC isn't that good so no reason to panic. Oregon, Oregon St, Arizona State, and of course Stanford are all better than USC. Chow knows USC well and the environment there so I suspect the U will pound USC next week.

• So. Cal Reader Escondido, CA
    Sept. 2, 2011 11:58 a.m.

Re: mindgames "Still hoping for theat BYU vs. Utah National Championship game." How's that Mile High air treating you? Or maybe it's the smoke in the air? As much as I like following the utes and BYU, a football national championship for either will never happen. College football landscape has changed too much. Both teams will need to be ranked in the pre-season Top 10 and run the table to even get a sniff, and Utah, being in a BSC-qualified conf, has a better chance of that then the Cougs.

• Giant Ute KAMAS, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 11:52 a.m.

In regards to not "showing" opposing teams too much, the goal is not to hide the scheme...it's to hide the atheletes and their abilities. Sure, USC has a ton of talent that can match up with ours but if they don't know who to match up with on certain plays and formations, defenses have a difficult time adjusting during the game if it wasn't prepared for.

Besides that, the offensive execution(excluding John White) was less than stellar for sure and I hope a lot of film gets watched during our 10 days to prepare for USC.

Cheers!

• WHAT NOW? Saint George, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 11:48 a.m.

Montana State got a payday.

Utah got a win.

The UTES have work to do.

9/10 will a great way to measure how far the UTES have progressed.

Go UTES!

• Kosta Fesenko Chicken McNuggetville, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 11:46 a.m.

lol at the majority of these comments. I have seen phrases such as "very difficult time with" or "Utes are in for a long season" or "barely beat an FCS team"

you can't be serious! Sure, Utah has some stuff to work on, and they won't go undefeated, but there were a LOT of positives from this game. so let the haters keep hating. it just shows how much utah is in your head and just how much you are worried about the series becoming "3 of 4" and "7 of 10" in Utah's favor on the 17th!

• So. Cal Reader Escondido, CA
    Sept. 2, 2011 11:21 a.m.

As a USC alumnus, I'd like to officially welcome the utes into the Pac 12! You had a very ‎difficult handling a team from the Big Sky Conf. Your preparation week-in & week-out ‎will be much, much different than you're use to. Can't wait to "play" with you next ‎Saturday in our house! ‎

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 11:06 a.m.

After this Game the PAC-10 may want to add Montana State to their list of expansion teams.....Utah made them look pretty good...GO PAC 14

• Moderate Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 10:49 a.m.

The Cougars don't have the luxury that the Utes had. They won't be able to hold anything back when they play Ole Miss. Texas will know everything about BYU after Saturday. USC is still scratching their heads about the Utes.

• sports-junkie West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 10:49 a.m.

Practice makes perfect. Oops.

If this was supposed to be a "practice" game, the Utes did not treat is as such. I think we know about as much about this Utah team as we did on Wednesday. Which is: Jordan Wynn is timid and the D is pretty good.

Next week we will know for sure what kind of team we have on our hands.

• Go 273 river miles Draper, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 10:47 a.m.

.....Norm Chow is thinking "holy cow, what was I thinking coming here?".

• Pavalova Surfers Paradise, AU
    Sept. 2, 2011 10:38 a.m.

Now wait just a cotton-pickin minute. We were all told the following:
    "Chris B | 4:53 p.m. Aug. 30, 2011
    Salt Lake City, UT

Ole Miss 30
    byu 17

Utah 45
    Montana State 10

I'll remind you all next week when we see how close I was."

I guess chrissy got the 10 right. Not sure if the U will scare 45 given the abysmal performance against an FCS team.

• Bob Cratchet Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 10:35 a.m.

Chow cloaking his offense so USC will not have film? He's been at UCLA for the past couple of years probably running the same offense. He's been a few other places too with his offense, including USC! I think they are just in the early season. Next week will be a tough one, but I wouldn't completely count the U out for the season because of one game.

• Tom in MS Madison, MS
    Sept. 2, 2011 10:34 a.m.

Before anyone forgets about Montana St., let's not forget that they were rated 5th or 6th in the FCS. Just remember that they beat last years champion. And let's not forget what a defending FCS champion (App. St.) did to a very good Michigan team at the big house. They have some studs on their defensive front 7, and their offense (very prolific) was held in check. Chow showed nothing on offense - maybe 10 or a dozen diiferent formations, and no vertical pass game - very vanilla. A great team like Montana St. was able to adjust and kept them in check. With more of the playbook open (i.e., more wrinkles), it would have been a little bit different.

• RSLJAZZBYUUTAH Syracuse, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 10:34 a.m.

I thought the Defense was ok last night, it was the first game , a few jitters I think, where I would worry is the throwing game, Wynn did not look good at all, yeah sure he threw a couple of touchdowns, but that was on short field, he didn't command very well, at least to me, but I think the Utes will fix some stuff and be very competitive against USC.

• Razzle2 Bluffdale, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 10:31 a.m.

If it takes a couple of weeks to get Utah's "A" game....I'd rather get the first loss from USC than a quick season shut-out by Washington or UCLA. Utah is still in great shape...and that is the worst case.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 10:27 a.m.

After driving all evening and all night and catching the final score at McDonald's wifi spots I get to a computer to check things out this morning in Iowa and this is what I read?

I'm somewhat surprised but it is only a tune-up game. Wynn continues to unimpress out of the chute as many of us expected, time will tell.

Same thing could happen to BYU but I hope not. Put up or shut up time for the Cougars.

• GoodLifeFB SOUTH JORDAN, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 10:25 a.m.

For those of you who are hoping Chow was holding back -- do you really think ANY of the old PAC 10 teams don't know 100% of his offense? No surprises waiting in the wings there so I don't see any benefit to holding back. I'm afraid this is a factor of kids (Wynn) learning the new scheme. Get your thinking caps on boys or we're in for a rough ride.

• MyCommon2Sense Los Angeles, CA
    Sept. 2, 2011 10:23 a.m.

Does Chris B want to change his BYU prediction before it is too late?

• Joe Schmoe Orem, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 10:21 a.m.

I had heard that Wynn was growing his hair out to support someone that had cancer or something to that effect. Anyone know for sure?

• mindgames Aurora, CO
    Sept. 2, 2011 10:19 a.m.

Not exactly the 40-0 win I was expecting. But this pre-season game was a "no win" situation. When Utah wins by 17 nobody will give them credit. Wow, just think next week....Utah vs. USC and BYU vs. Texas. We are rolling with the big boys. Hope that both Utah and BYU have big victories. Still hoping for theat BYU vs. Utah National Championship game.

• BYUCOLORADO Castle Rock, CO
    Sept. 2, 2011 10:15 a.m.

I love the "they didn't want to show them anything because they were up" argument. It is hilarious. A fake punt while they are up by 20 (yet later in the game they are only up 17 and yet they are "holding back"). Give me a break. This is the same team that did an onside kick while up 44 on Wyoming. Please don't tell me you are buying these "holding back" arguments.

• AggieLuva South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 10:14 a.m.

Brian Blechen, John White, and Special Teams are the only 3 things that Utah could be happy with after that game. White won't break 100 yards against the Trojans though. This game next week is going to be so sad for Utah. I will pray for you that you keep it within 30 points. Good luck, you will need it.

• BYUCOLORADO Castle Rock, CO
    Sept. 2, 2011 10:10 a.m.

I am excited to see the next few years. Roughly 2008/2009 (because of missions) was the end of the Meyer recruits. I am very excited to see how Whittingham does the next few years.

Unfortunately, there will be a rebuttal that holds not water. In 2008 (I believe) when the MWC went 10-4 against the PAC10 Utes were saying they were not impressed by the PAC10. Now it is the only thing they mention. So when they bomb the next few years they will just say "that is what happens when you are not in the sisters of the poor conference" and sing a completely different tune than they were a few years ago.

Exciting times!

• hohum Saint George, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 10:06 a.m.

The u needs to look ahead to the south in pac10.

ASU: CalDavis
    Total offense 517 243
    First downs 24 12
    Passing 300 155
    Rushing 217 88

ASU reserves paly part of 3rd and all of 4th. U is supposed to win the south, USC and for sure ASU will have something to say about it. If as many say, Whit was holding back so USC couldn't have film, he better get the whole offense going soon. I don't see them winning any except maybe Colo & UCLA in the south.

Good luck and play the whole team on the field and let them play.

• sportsrecruiterpro Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 10:04 a.m.

Recycled Titan plays that didn't work in the NFL, didn't work last night, and won't work any night. It better get fixed or it will be a very long season!

• davidutefan Evanston, WY
    Sept. 2, 2011 9:57 a.m.

I was at the game and it appeared that Utah opened it up a little and then went very conservative after building a respectable lead. Most of us at the stadium thought they were holding quite a bit back. We were, however, concerned about the O-line. They were inconsistent in the run game and merely adequate in the passing game against an FCS team. Sure, there have been injuries and they haven't played together as a unit long but, times up. Do the job or lose and against the upcoming opponents, maybe lose your QB. the D has great speed and I was impressed with them as a whole. I don't think anyone expects Utah to go unbeaten but, the only ones that expect BYU to do so live in Utah county. Let's see how you do against a bottom- tier SEC team before you spout off too much. I don't want to hear the bull about the SEC either. Remember even Wyoming went to Tennesse (a bottom tier SEC team at the time) and won when they were pathetic.

• Otis Spurlock Ogden, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 9:53 a.m.

Just wait until Saturday, Ute Fans! BYU is going to show you how to win a real football game. Ole Miss doesn't stand a chance. Jake Heaps is already a shoe in for the Heisman and Brocno is a shoe in for Coach of the Year. Quest for Perfection baby, 2011!!!

• lasermann Orem, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 9:51 a.m.

Four more first downs than an FCS team? Wow.

• MyCommon2Sense Los Angeles, CA
    Sept. 2, 2011 9:46 a.m.

As this season unfolds, two questions will become increasingly apparent. First, why did they recruit and sign Wynn when their offense (which was doing great) was a spread/QB run option offense and Wynn was a skinny, slow drop back passer? Second, why did they ditch this offense that gave them great success over the last 5+ years for Norm Chow's 1980's offense?

• wardu Fallon, NV
    Sept. 2, 2011 9:43 a.m.

I would have thought that Utah would have played Montana like Wisconsin played UNLV. UNLV might have beat the Utes on a neutral field last night.

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 9:38 a.m.

I was very surprised how bad the U looked, especially at QB. This is going to be tough year, hopefully they can pull it together a little better and at least have a decent showing...

• oldcougar Orem, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 9:31 a.m.

I think chow should cloak his offense all season...go to battle without your best assets...save them for the bowl game. Great strategy...

Oh yeah, maybe there won't be a bowl game for the Utes.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 9:28 a.m.

This is the culmination of everything that has been in the wind for months. It has been clear for a long time that the Utes were not very happy, confident or pumped. They have been less than enthusiastic about their team for some time and it has been VERY OBVIOUS. It showed in last night's game. It's clear that Kyle Wittingham is pretty unhappy and pretty concerned.

A win is a win. But, as Kyle stated, they're going to have to play a lot better than that.

• ATC Stockton, CA
    Sept. 2, 2011 9:28 a.m.

As a Cougar fan I hope the Utes do good this season, except when they play BYU. One this will make BYU look better, and it will prove teams from non BCS leagues can compete inside the BCS leagues

• Ravenal Somewhere in, Utah
    Sept. 2, 2011 9:25 a.m.

Fellow Cougar Fans, let's keep it classy or don't comment. Ole Miss isn't a guaranteed win for us and we've had our share of problems in the first game of seasons before too.

• blucougr SLC, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 9:23 a.m.

Ok first and for most I'm a Coug fan, but I'm a state of Utah supporter and that looked scary to me. I hope that was Chow holding back the O so theres no film. Wynn looked confused and had no confidence at all. Whats the back up QB look like??? USC is going to pressure Wynn the whole game next week.
    Good Luck Boys!!

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    Sept. 2, 2011 9:20 a.m.

I didn't catch the game as it was not shown in our part of the country but I'm anxious to hear what Chris B, Hedgie, Howard S, mgr63, Mildred, Ernie, and all the other diehard Utah fans and BYU haters had to say. Strange there isn't a peep so far from any of them. For me, I'm tickled they win, and I do hope they continue to do well in their new conference and win out with their only loss coming against the Cougars. For the state of Utah football, I want both teams to do really well. Go Cougs! Go Utes!

• Old Jake Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 9:08 a.m.

Jordan, Please cut your hair so we can feel better about cheering for you.

Yes, it's your life. You can look like that if you want but you are making it harder on yourself than you think.

It's not only distracting you it's distracting all of us.

If you are as concerned with your looks as it appears than you are not focused on the meeting.

Get on it.

• sports-junkie West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 9:06 a.m.

Jordan Wynn with two td's? I think he needs to send Blechen a gift basket for the way Blechen handed him that first one.

Tough night. Maybe this is the Utes stradegy to completely ugly up this game so the Trojans think they have nothing to worry about. But.... Im sure that part of the plan was not to make Jordan Wynn look timid, scared and down right horrible passing the ball.

USC actually has play makers on their Dline and also some very good LBers. Something the U Oline didnt have to deal with last night. Could be a long season for the Utes if what saw last night is not part of a smoke and mirror trick to make them look bad going into a tough stretch of games.

We will see what this team is actually all about when they have to pull out all the stops for USC and actually fight instead of being on cruise control all night.

• Robroy Murray, utah
    Sept. 2, 2011 8:51 a.m.

Guys, the idea of coach Whit or Chow cloaking their true offense is silly. I would think the after having Chow coach in the PAC 10 and at BYU for years that the PAC 10 teams would already have a fairly good idea what to expect from his offense.

• byronbca Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 8:49 a.m.

Utah's receivers got a lot of hype during fall camp yet Wynn completely ignored them all night, the entire receiving core had 3 catches for 19 yards against Montana St. Dres Anderson led the receivers in yardage with 22 yards rushing. Wynn also completed just 1 pass over ten yards.

I am praying that Chow was holding back the passing game so that USC doesn't have any film on it, if Wynn doesn't get his receivers involved against USC Utah will loose by 20.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 8:47 a.m.

I was disappointed with the offense. The running game looked solid, but the line let them get to Wynn too many times and Wynn was telegraphing his passes most of the night. I did like the short passes to the tight ends. They are a bright spot as well, but Wynn's got to hit his receivers on the mid range and deep routes or we'll be dead in the water. That kind of play will not work against any PAC 12 opponents. The defense was okay. Our DB's and LB's did a good job, but the line didn't put enough pressure on the QB until the 4th quarter.

Obviously the team's got work to do before next Saturday. I haven't been expecting a win over USC, but now I'm worried about keeping it respectable.

• rogerdodger Logan, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 8:47 a.m.

If this is what the "new offense" is going to look like then the Utes are in big trouble. Man I will take Any Ludwig and the wide open offense over that pathetic display. BTW what the heel was that

• Back to the Drawing board... Holladay, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 8:46 a.m.

like one of the other posters on here said...a win is a win. They got what they came for. I'm a true blue blood, but its also true that success this season with the Utes could bode well for the MWC and Utah collegiate sports, having said that...Good luck against SoCal...you'll need it :)

• Joe Schmoe Orem, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 8:25 a.m.

My favorite play was the fake punt when they were up by 20 something.

Where is Joe Glenn when you need him?

Sorry Ute fans, it is going to be a LONG year. I was really hoping to see Utah have a great year and make the old MWC look good. Instead we are going to see the second coming of the next Washington St. The defense can only keep you in the game for so long.

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    Sept. 2, 2011 8:24 a.m.

What I saw was Wynn's arm underperforming. That injury has taken the zip out of it. It might take most of the season to get it back.

USC will see the same thing when they review film for next week's game. They'll shut down White, knowing Wynn can't beat them through the air.

Good luck, anyway, Utes.

• JDL Magna, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 8:15 a.m.

As a true BYU fan, I would like to think Utah is much better than they showed last night. I would like to think that Utah deliberately cloaked much of what they are capable of because it was an FCS team. I couldn't tell if coach Whitt rolled his eyes out of real concern or if it was a poker face when David Locke wished him luck next week.

The running game was solid with White but he is small and can he sustain himself through the PAC 12? The O line looked suspect and the defense was, as Whitt said adequate, but that is a relative term in relation to Montana State and USC. The kicking game was perfectly awesome.

I fear the worst but truly hope for the best for Utah.

• Focusedonlife Spanish Fork, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 8:04 a.m.

I am a BYU fan, and have been all of my life, and I think we better not spout off before our season even begins. We have proven absolutely nothing yet this year. While I believe that we will have a great year, and will beat the Utes, we haven't even played our first game. Besides, do we really want the Utes to fail in the Pac 12? Do we want everyone around the country to be proven right about the "weakness" of the Mountain West? Whether you like it or not, if the Utes succeed, it only helps our cause.

• Rearden Steel SNELLVILLE, GA
    Sept. 2, 2011 8:01 a.m.

Preferably, opening games make a statement for the rest of the season. The statement for this game was...bleh. It doesn't do much to inspire, nor does it consign the Utes to an awful season.
    This is why playing an FCS school in Week 1 is so dangerous: you under-perform against an inferior opponent, you're in trouble; you perform well, you did it against a FCS school - is there another acceptable outcome?
    Bottom line is that we still don't know anything about the Utes.

• Veracity Morgan, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 7:57 a.m.

Coach Whittingham has been considered by most as a top twenty coach in the nation...well now we shall see if he can resurrect this team from a performance at a mid FCS level.

Coach Whitt inherited a great team with the stables full of horses...now lets see if he can turn these average ponies into horses...however, his running back is a stud.

Good luck, but there are clouds on the horizon.

• bluecoug89 Highland, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 7:53 a.m.

Hey, it's all good. You guys got what you came for, a win. The improvements will come over time. I am excited though for the 17th, that's going to be a fun game. You guys will do great the rest of the season.

• nairbnosral American Fork, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 7:50 a.m.

All I can say is, the Utes were really lucky to be able to start the season with a practice scrimmage. Had they started with a PAC-12 season opener...wow.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 7:45 a.m.

It did appear that the Utes had an un-remarkable game. The offense was mostly lethargic and the defense looked out of sync. I thought they would have half a dozen sacks. Maybe they just played down to their competition and maybe MSU was just a very good team. Wynn diddn't look good. White did but who knows how much the competition level affected that.
    On the bright side, they got the butterflies worked out and they have 2 extra days to prepare for USC. Whittingham has been very good at preparing for big games.
    Hope they get things figured out.

• jdcray Richmond, VA
    Sept. 2, 2011 7:38 a.m.

Coach, you need to play #22 on your roster! The kid's got SKILLS!

• GoUTES Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 7:35 a.m.

That was a sweet 'Wynn'. I know it was just a FCS team, but a win is a win. We looked awesome. Jordan throwing for over 100 yards is great. I always look on the bright side, if there was not a defense at all, I think he could have thrown for 150-180 yards easy.

GoUTES

• firestorm Lehi, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 7:32 a.m.

Lets be honest, Utes looked Hooooorrrraaaabbblllleee against a not to good team. This is not your BCS buster of the past. Utes better get their game on or SoCal will totally run them.

• nunya sacramento, ca
    Sept. 2, 2011 7:32 a.m.

hahaha, you had all your starters in the whole game and it was only montana state....hahahahaha spin it any which way utes...it stops at the same spot after ever spin.

runaway utes 3
    USC 65

• ChiefSportsFan Denver, CO
    Sept. 2, 2011 6:16 a.m.

Well, a Wynn is a win, some would say - good luck the rest of the year . . .

• flatlander Omaha, NE
    Sept. 2, 2011 6:09 a.m.

Embarrassing

• Razzle2 Bluffdale, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 5:50 a.m.

I just kept thinking....did the Utes pull out their second team? ...um no.

• Ricardo Carvalho Provo, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 5:36 a.m.

I am a BYU supporter but I think this article is probably a bit critical. At this point of the season, a win is a win. The Utes will most certainly play better against USC.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Sept. 2, 2011 5:12 a.m.

U have nothing to worry about against the Trojans. After this performance, it's very obvious that the offense is right where it needs to be with a commanding 30+ yard advantage in total offense over this FCS team. It's very apparent that Wynn is already executing Chow's new pro style offense to perfection easily eclipsing the 100 yard mark in passing. Wow! If U can put up numbers like this against Montana State, I can only imagine what you will do to USC. Good luck next week!

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 2:47 a.m.

how do you spell rose bowl? wow. pac 10 plus two here we come.

• BYU, Always #1 Saratoga Springs, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 1:19 a.m.

I'm not buying it, I could see the utes not putting there offense out there for USC to see, I think They will be a different team next week.

• Classless Ute Fan Magna, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 1:14 a.m.

"We've got to play better. I've got to play better," Wynn said,"We'll watch the tape and learn from it."

Jordan, there is only so much you can learn from watching film. What you really need to do is practice and get in sync with your WR's. It certainly didn't look like the passing game spread the field. It was a good victory. But it looks like there is plenty of room for improvement.

Go Utes!