Sports

Utah Utes football: Utes defeat Montana State, 27-10

Comments

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 6:09 p.m.

scott182 | 4:13 p.m. Sept. 2, 2011
    Salt Lake City, UT

I would rather lose every single PAC12 game we ever play then be stuck in the mountain west with BYU still.

===

Read a paper.

Is BYU still in the MWC?

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 6:08 p.m.

I'm sorry...

Donde esta Uteology?

• scott182 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 4:24 p.m.

I honeslty have to agree though, even with the smack talkers to some degree. We most likely will get pounded next week by USC and it does fall alot on Wynn.

Wynn went downhill bad, it's not his shoulder! He has zero confidence in himself when he is on the field. I think his team has zero in him also. He always acts scared or depressed. I would like nothing more then to see things change but it's just not looking good. Our team has so many great athletes, but how will they click if they can't trust wynn. Wynn needs to show extremely well next week.

• scott182 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 4:13 p.m.

• Swoop Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 1:18 p.m.

To all the red koolaid drinkers... wake up.

Wynn has been mediocre, at best, since the Air Force game last season and nothing he's done in fall camp or in the Montana State game gives any indication he's going to suddenly flip a switch and suddenly become a decent quarterback.

The party's over and there will be no more hiding behind weak excuses.

Wynn isn't a PAC 12 calibre QB and you know it.

USC will prove it.

• wardu Fallon, NV
    Sept. 2, 2011 12:59 p.m.

utahcountyute, off game huh. I can't wait to see how next week works out for you.

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 11:18 a.m.

Gotta love all the byU homers who are smacking even before their team has taken the field.

I guarantee you that byU will have off games this year. You better hope it's not against your first 3 opponents or they will get smacked in the mouth. Hard.

Go ahead and build up your hopes to watch them go up in smoke in the blazing heat and humidity in Miss and Texas or even Provo. I really hope that Hypes watched that game last night and gets over-confident. Like I said, smacked in the mouth.

GO UTES!

• utesovertide Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 11:05 a.m.

@Duckhunter

"USC is going to beat utah into a bloody pulp next week and BYU will do the same thing the week after. It is going to get ugly for utah, or should I say uglier."

Given your recent history of predictions, including the one about the Pac 12 network not being nationally available, and then you predicting you would refrain from commenting on Utah articles for a year, I'll take your prediction.

Should mean just the opposite will happen. :)

All kidding aside, let's let the football team and coaches do the worrying and preparing and keep our expectations in check. What makes football fun is that sometimes you have to RISE to the occasion. Sometimes, you are not immediately at the level you want to be.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 10:17 a.m.

Uteology | 12:14 a.m.
    Fort Worth, Texas

"@Veritas

Thanks for your "blue colored" glasses opinion but after all didn't you say Utah was getting a beat-down against Pitt last year?"
    ===

Ummmmm, dude.

Veritas is a different poster than me.

Stop embarassing yourself.

You have no idea how hard you made me laugh today.

I love it, that, when you get lemons, you seem to always want to make grapefruit juice.
    ...........

For those of you who are wondering if Utah was "cloaking", or hiding what they do, think if that is really what they did?

Did Blechen purposely throw a live ball on the field inside the ten yard line to cloak smart ball control.

Did Kyle fake a punt on fourth down up twenty to cloak that he might do that again?

Was Winn missing open recievers, and throwing the ball at the ground to cloak the he is a Heisman quality QB.

Nice job of cloaking White IV.

===

The only team that Utah "cloaked" anything from, was themselves.

They had absolutely idea what they were doing last night but playing good D in the first quarter. They all looked totally lost during the second half.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 9:44 a.m.

@tomahawk red

What does BYU's game against wyoming last season have to do with utah's abysmal offense?

BYU was a very average team last year (7-6) remember? utah is now a major college power pac10 bcs team with the greatest offensive coordinator in the history of college football, or at least that is what you guys have been telling us. I guess we all just believed the hype and had been conditioned to think that sort of powerhouse program would kill a 1AA team.

So now we are all just left wondering whether or not utah is really everything ute fans have told us they are or else perhaps they aren't?

• Truth Machine Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 9:17 a.m.

Utah fans can try to put lipstick on a pig all they want, but Utah fans in the stands booing Utah's offensive performance says it all...

The Utes are in BIG trouble offensively and realistic Utah fans know it.

Wynn's 130.80 rating against Montana State is almost identical to his freshman season, 130.75.

In other words, Wynn starting his junior year, hasn't improved at all.

USC is licking their chops after seeing Wynn struggle against MSU.

• mgr63 DALLAS, TX
    Sept. 2, 2011 9:06 a.m.

It is hilarious looking at the posts by the delusional Y fans. Their beat down will happen tomorrow in HOT Oxford. BYU stinks!

• mgr63 DALLAS, TX
    Sept. 2, 2011 9:05 a.m.

Utah is just fine! It was solid in all facets. How can a great team like Utah really get excited about Montana St.? All the Y fans are gonna be so bummed out tomorrow after BYU bakes in Oxford and loses. I can't wait to hear all the excuses. Go Utes at USC!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 8:51 a.m.

@uteology

Yes he should do that against an fcs team. Keep deflecting your worries if you must but let's also not forget that they got 2 TD's on super short fields because of an interception return and a blocked punt. They certainly didn't prove they could sustain a drive. If not for the two gift td's the defense gave them this is a 13-10 game. You should be worried, extremely worried, about the offense.

Also where were langi and the rubgy player? I thought they were both stud's?

• Old Gregg Alpine, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 6:52 a.m.

Coming from a BYU fan I think Utah will be just fine. Why? because they have a solid run game with White. Anytime you have an RB like him, and can move the ball on the ground, it usually translates to success and wins. The D played well last night and I think they will be up for the USC game. My only reserve for the Utes would be Jordan. He looked good but not great. I think he'll be fine though. Good luck in Cali next week.

• MR Draper, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 6:20 a.m.

I watched the game on DirecTV just fine.

Had to laugh at some of the play calling ... Safe run up the middle on third and long is classic Norm. There is a reason he has moved around so much.

• SoCalUtahFan Utesville, CA
    Sept. 2, 2011 6:10 a.m.

@Veritas

...SoCalUteFan and MiP: I think your "rose [crimson] colored" glasses have you missing the point: Utah played horribly tonight, and Wynn--even giving him some slack for his injuries--was atrocious...

I did not expect 300+ yds from Wynn on his first game back.
    Sure, I would like Utah to put on more than 3pts in Q3 to finish the game early for the 2nd string team in Q4 --but that did not happen.
    I am happy with the win. Happy with defense. Satisfied with the kicking/punting which was a big question mark coming into the season.
    Offense needs to work more on their game --unless we did not see the true/whole offense out there, given that the game was never in doubt after half-time.

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 6:00 a.m.

BYU had to use every trick in the book and every last ounce of effort last year just to hold off Wyoming at home last year. And that was at the end of the season when BYU should've been in sync and Heaps playing his best. You think we forgot about that?

What's my point?

Judging a team by one game is foolish and ignorant.

Word to the wise, Y fans... put a hold on all the trash talk until you first find out whether you can even beat Mississippi. Because I suspect you won't.

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 12:53 a.m.

@motorbike "Folks, Utah jumped out to a 24-0 lead over the 5th ranked FCS team and basically turned off all creativity after that."

My question is, why would you need any creativity to score on an FCS team? A good FBS school should be able to 'play conservatively' and still score TDs against an FCS school.

Heck, ASU scored 10 points against UC Davis from the end of the 3rd through the 4th quarter with their backups in and them pretty much running the ball straight up the middle tonight!

Final question: if you really are playing conservatively, why would you leave your starters in the game and risk them getting hurt? Why not follow the Sun Devils example and put your backups in?

Food for thought.

Go Cougars!

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Sept. 2, 2011 12:14 a.m.

@Veritas

"Utah is better than Pitt...LOL...
    Enjoy the beatdown, because the season rolls downhill from there...
    You are not, nor will ever be BYU...."
    --Veritas Aequitas (Aug. 21, 2010)

• Swoop Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 12:08 a.m.

Didn't watch the game, but Wynn's mediocre performance (130 rating) against a 1-AA team is being attributed to Utah playing extremely conservatively to not tip their hand for next weeks game at USC?

How many years was Norm Chow the offensive coordinator at USC?

• Veritas Bountiful, Utah
    Sept. 1, 2011 11:51 p.m.

SoCalUteFan and MiP: I think your "rose [crimson] colored" glasses have you missing the point: Utah played horribly tonight, and Wynn--even giving him some slack for his injuries--was atrocious. Even his position coach, Brian Johnson, was all over his back all night about his failure to execute. I wouldn't be patting the Utes on the back for this effort. Instead, I would be exhaling slowly and hoping the Utes pick it up for next week. It was embarrassing and let's call it like it was.

• nunya sacramento, ca
    Sept. 1, 2011 11:46 p.m.

usc 65
    runaway utes 3

how bout them pac 10.2 boys.....hahahaha

• tcom2011 Fort Worth, TX
    Sept. 1, 2011 11:34 p.m.

A win is a win! Congrats Utes! Good luck with SC next week, I agree with the statement that the play was conservative, I wouldn't look too far into this game, I believe there is a lot more, than what was shown tonight. See you soon in Provo, good luck till then. Good lcuk Utes GO Cougars!

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Sept. 1, 2011 11:28 p.m.

@Duckhunter: "But for those of you loving on John White remember this was a division 1AA team. He probably should have gotten what he got."

--------------

John White "probably should have" run for 7.8 yards per carry on 19 carries 150 yards in his firstD2 game? Really?

Lets see how other current NFL running backs did against 1AA teams...

1AA James Madison 16
    #16 (11-3) Virgina Tech 21

Ryan Williams averaged 4.3 yards per in that game on 20 carries for 91 yards.

1AA Northern Iowa 17
    #25 (10-3) BYU 41

Unga had 64 yards on 18 carries for 3.6 yards per game; BYU's ran for total of 77 yards on 28 carries for 2.6 per game.

Care to explain why Unga and Williams, 2 NFL players, did worse then White?

No idea how good White will be, only time will tell. But its a great start to hopefully a great career at Utah.

• eagle Provo, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 11:27 p.m.

I hate to say this but if the two QB's switched teams Utah wins 45-3, maybe worse. Wynn needs to pick it up and the coaches need to coach him up.

• SteelerNation Layton, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 11:21 p.m.

Jordan Wynn does not have a good arm motion. The peak and height of his motion is too low. He does get it off quick but seems his arm strength isn't there. Maybe his shoulder surgery has affected him. Last year, as a rookie, he didn't impress me as much either. Hopefully Chow will get this offense rolling.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 11:03 p.m.

Oh no, apparently the sky is falling!
    Folks, Utah jumped out to a 24-0 lead over the 5th ranked FCS team and basically turned off all creativity after that. There was no reason to show their hand in a game that was never in question.
    Don't take too much from this game. I'm not saying the passing game looked wonderful or the O-line for that matter...they need to work on some things. But the sky is certainly not falling. Montana State will be in the mix for their national championship at the end of the season and Utah, barring major injuries will be in the mix for the Pac 12 South crown.

• Bastiatarian TUCSON, AZ
    Sept. 1, 2011 11:01 p.m.

>It was a warm up game, and that's how it turned out.

Did Wynn ever get warmed up?

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 10:57 p.m.

@Duckhunter "USC is going to beat utah into a bloody pulp next week and BYU will do the same thing the week after."

I love the enthusiasm, man, and I bleed blue just like any other die-hard Cougar fan, but we haven't seen the Cougs do anything yet this year. I fully expect us to come out of Oxford with a win, and if the U doesn't improve I'd say our chances of winning are pretty good.

But again, we haven't played a game yet this season, so it may be a little premature.

But deep down inside...I agree with you :)

Go Cougars!

• mgr63 DALLAS, TX
    Sept. 1, 2011 10:57 p.m.

Nice win Utes!

• utesovertide Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 10:51 p.m.

Wow, so many of you BYU fans just can't let it go, can you.

To fellow Ute fans who felt like the game was a loss, you expected too much out of the first game. I thought a few things days ago:

- the offensive attack will be "just enough" to get a good lead and win
    - passing would be limited, and the ground game would be the dominant type of offense used. I figured about 60% ground to about 30% passing attack
    - I figure it will take at least another week to get the offense fully installed.
    - I expected the Ute D to give up some big plays. This is a qb and an offense that had huge numbers last year
    - I felt the D would be stingy and get the job done.
    - I expected ~100 Utah penalty yards. Fact of life for Whittingham 1st games.

The score as I predicted a few days ago: Utah 28, Montana 13. Not a bad guess by my book, and by margin we did 3 points better than I expected.

The Utes have work to do for USC so it will be fun to see how USC does this weekend against Minnesota.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 10:50 p.m.

Does anyone know what channel the replay will be on?

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    Sept. 1, 2011 10:50 p.m.

Just a reminder for Y trolls: at least 8 regulars called for Utah to be beaten by MSU. Utah had them beat in the first quarter, scoring 17 points. Montana State managed 10 for the game.

I predicted 31-10 for Utah, si I'm mildly disapointed with the offensive output, though I though White looked solid. Kicking game seemed fine. DBs got some important play against what many have called the best QB in the FCS. It was a warm up game, and that's how it turned out. Wynn certainly needs to step up his game, but again the Y trolls predicting USC to be licking their chops---are not much different than the ones predicting MSU to upset the Utes. We'll see.

====
    Bluewombat8: "WOW utes are gonna get slaughtered in LA and Provo the next 2 weeks. Their offense is sorry against a high school team. while the defense is making enough plays to keep the game out of reach."

You're acting surprised. YOU predicted Montana State to beat Utah earlier today 14-10 (twice, actually), and called out Chris B for predicting a Cougar loss. Consider it your next prediction "Marked Down."

• Farid @ Pocatello Pocatello, ID
    Sept. 1, 2011 10:49 p.m.

As a BYU fan, I don't watch the Utes too closely, so I don't know what happened to Harvey Langi (sp?). Wasn't he supposed to start this year?

• Old ball coach Sandy, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 10:46 p.m.

Good thing Utah didn't play Boise this week, like they were suppose too. USC baby!!! By 40 next week!!

• flynn is the coolest Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 10:45 p.m.

Coach Whit rolled his eyes during a long sigh when a reporter said "good luck in LA." To me that means he expect to get a red-headed stepchild beating in So Cal.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 10:43 p.m.

I only saw the last 5 minutes of the game because I was at a baseball game at BYU. But for those of you loving on John White remember this was a division 1AA team. He probably should have gotten what he got.

Whittingham looked, and sounded, like he was going to cry when talking about the offense in the post game interview. It is exactly how he looked, and sounded, in his interivew after the Air Force game last year when you could tell he knew the wheels were about to fall off.

Remember this was a division 1AA team so any way you spin it this is obviously a poor performance.

• Juggy SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 10:36 p.m.

Good job Utes! We are 1-0 and that's exactly what we wanted. Time to head to SC and steal a win in the Coliseum. Great time to be a Ute.

• eagle Provo, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 10:30 p.m.

I think Norm wants to support his man (Wynn) but comparing him to Detmer in anyway was inaccurate and potentially actually harmful to Wynn. Wynn may hopefully develop into a pretty good college QB, though he seems to be actually regressing, but many consider Detmer one of the greatest college players and QB's ever. As the one guy said above, Detmer in his junior year beat Miami (it wasn't his first game that year, BYU beat UTEP the week before), the #1 ranked team in the country and defending national champions with scores of future NFL players on both sides of the ball. Montana State is a nice team from the next division team so we can end the comparisons there as well. The Utes did have a better D than what Detmer played with but as a player, Wynn and Detmer should not be used in the same sentence again in any comparative way.

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Sept. 1, 2011 10:29 p.m.

Blechan was the star on the defense that won the game for us. Although we should never have given up two long drives.

Wynn's mechanics looked horrible. The QB position is a major issue going forward. No idea why Robles was moved to LB when Wynn looks this bad.

The bright spot on offense Jone White, we seemed to have found a running back. If White has a another good game against USC we might need him to carry the ball 30-40 times a game.

• CaptainL PROVO, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 10:27 p.m.

The important thing is the utes won, if your a ute fan though you have to be concerned about the passing game, White looked great , but Wynn not so much. Improvement between weeks 1 & 2 usually are significant, hope that is the case for the utes, they'll need it.

• BYUCOLORADO Castle Rock, CO
    Sept. 1, 2011 10:27 p.m.

USC Trojans are licking their chops. It will be fun to watch next week!

• eagle Provo, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 10:25 p.m.

Offense: C- (Wynn shaky, White pretty good, no turnovers, lack of imagine with play calling, out of synch)

Defense: A- (Defense gave up some big plays but overall very good, Blechen does well at LB)

Special Teams: B+ (Blocked punt was big, FG units did job, some nice returns. But risky choices to not fair catch may catch up with unit)

Coaching: C (Defense and Special Teams were good but Norm Chow's debut was less than spectacular. Wynn seems to be regressing)

• idaho cougar fan Twin Falls, ID
    Sept. 1, 2011 10:20 p.m.

As an ISU alum, MSU is a good FCS team. Ute fans should be concerned about offense though. I know they played conservatively, but need to be better. Ute fans that are saying Pac 12 south title, need to hope for some major improvement.

• mgr63 DALLAS, TX
    Sept. 1, 2011 10:19 p.m.

John White rushed the ball well, decent defense, a 17 point win.......hey! OK Utah! Beat USC now! Go
    Utes!

• CT98 Saint George, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 10:19 p.m.

Felt bad I couldn't watch the game as DirecTV doesn't carry KJZZ. Ughh. I'm glad the Utes got the win. It will be fun to watch John White run the ball for the Utes this year. I hope Utah can hang with USC. I can't Stand the arrogance of USC. Go Utes.

Can't wait for our big game on Saturday. I hope BYU can get a W in our first game as well. Go Cougs.

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 10:19 p.m.

Smack-talk sidenote:

When I was looking for the game on Comcast, on the TV guide for KJZZ from 6-9 it said "High School Football". At first I thought that was a mistake, but after what I just saw, I realized that was spot on :)

Go Cougars!

• KamUte South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 10:18 p.m.

Defense gets a B

Offense gets a D.

Wynn gets an F-

Sellout crowd was not happy. Felt like a loss. Most progression happens between the first 2 weeks. Let's all pray that this is true.

• HarperValleyPTA Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 1, 2011 10:18 p.m.

Wow! A very ho hum performance overall. White is good. The defense is ok but won't stop any PAC12 offenses.

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 10:11 p.m.

Not impressed with the O. I only saw one pass longer than 10 yards and it should have been a TD. Jordan did not lead the WR to the correct side of the play. Seemed very tentative at best. concerning

Blechen and White were studs! Everyone else needs to get in the game though, starting with Wynn.

I really cannot say that a win's a win.

• goodDr. sandy, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 10:09 p.m.

Tried to find the commentary on ESPN. Can't even find the score. Any Ideas why? As far as the game went, my diagnosis is that Coach Chow has noconfidenceitis with his qb. Quick throws, 3 step drops, multiple missed reads. Did you see Coach Johnson chew Wynn out on the missed sure td? If Wynn missed a blitzing LB against USC, he will be watching the rest of the season from the sideline. Defense looked great in the first half, second half was questionable. If McGee had a better arm, he would have had 1-2 more td's. Offensive line was so-so. Overall diagnosis: stable, but needs monitoring, may have complications in the upcoming weeks.

• WHAT NOW? Saint George, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 10:08 p.m.

QB C-
    RB A
    OL B (Run Game) C (Passing Game)
    TE C
    WR C
    DL A
    DB B
    ST(KO) A
    ST(KR) B
    ST(P) B
    ST(FG) A

If this is all Jordan has...
    3 or 4 of the pass attempts, at least, looked very tentative.
    DeVonte as a QB?
    An early "call-up" for Chase Hansen (I'm kidding).

USC will design D to stop the run.
    Look for 8 in the box.
    No real need for blitz package when you can load up to stop the run game.
    Jordan must complete passes down the field to open up the run game against quality competition. USC corners will play press coverage until Utah forces them to change.

Improve Discipline (No stupid penalties)
    Improve Passing Game

Go Utes!

• SoCalUtahFan Utesville, CA
    Sept. 1, 2011 10:05 p.m.

It's not a bad game despite what BYU fans want to believe.

First game for Wynn after the injury, so it may not be bad idea to slowly work him back into the flow of things.

Impressed with John White.
    Defense was good.

Kicking game was a big worry before the game. But I think the punting was decent. The FG kicking was better than average.

Overall, Utes need to practice hard beginning tomorrow.

Need to kick up a few levels to play with USC next week.
    It will be a good game.

• mgr63 DALLAS, TX
    Sept. 1, 2011 10:02 p.m.

OK Utes. Nice win! Everything is just fine. Now, beat USC.

• QBU OREM, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 10:00 p.m.

Utah's defense and special teams was good for the most part, and thank goodness for that if you are a Ute fan because the offense was awful. If the special teams hadn't blocked a punt, and the defense hadnt had 2 interceptions, the utes may have only put up 10 points as well. I would be very concerned if I were a ute fan that my "detmer-like quarterback" couldnt even throw a spiral

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 9:54 p.m.

From an admittedly completely biased and blue-goggled perspective... :)

Not impressed with the Utes tonight. Excuses that the Utes were being conservative for their game against USC are garbo. If you're a good team, you don't care about who your next opponent is and what they see you do. You go through your playbook to practice execution of a new offense in a game time situation, knowing that your team is good enough to beat the Trojans regardless of how much film they have of you.

Saying that the Utes were playing conservative is basically saying the Utes are scared of USC and they don't feel like they can match up with them...not the attitude you should have going into the game.

Also, Wynn's arm did not look good. He doesn't have the zip on it that he used to. Definite area of concern.

No matter how you spin it, this was an FCS schoool...if you're a good team, you should roll them, like Wisconsin and Mississippi State did today to FBS schools.

There needs to be a lot of improvement for the U to even be in the game next week.

Go Cougars!

• Smack Jefferson City, MO
    Sept. 1, 2011 9:54 p.m.

Hey, this win puts the Utes at #1 in the Pac-12 South!

Seriously though, I have to admit that I was a little nervous going into this game, as I thought Montana State would not be a pushover team. I assumed the Utes would win, but I was a tiny bit concerned that the team would overlook them. Fortunately, that didn't happen.

Not so fortunately, the passing game was off. Hopefully a lot of that was first game jitters and first-game-after-surgery trepidation. Part of it was undoubtedly caused by an offensive line that couldn't provide sufficient protection. It wasn't good to see Wynn get sacked. Although, I have to say that I was glad that he took some hits. He's going to have to be mentally tough to play in the Pac-12, and a good player will gain a lot of that toughness by going through some adversity. It looked to me like Wynn didn't wilt (even if he didn't have the punch I was hoping for), so that could bode well for the offense.

In any event, for now, I'll happily take the win.

Go UTES!

• byronbca Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 9:53 p.m.

Not a very good game for Utah, but there were some positives. John White looked like a 1000 yard back tonight, Blechen was everywhere, and nobody got hurt.

Utah also gave nothing to USC to use in their film room. I hope that Wynn going to the TEs more than the highly touted receivers was just a decoy, if the receivers only combine for 3 catches for 19 yards again Utah will get killed.

Another positive is that the O line has 8 full days to get healthy and fix their mistakes.

• Eugene2 MONTPELIER, ID
    Sept. 1, 2011 9:50 p.m.

White was impressive, Jordan not so. Utes barely beat the total offense yards over the Bobcats.

May be a long season for Utah unless the offense can ramp up and the defense bears down.

Now, BYU 34 Ole Miss 10, solid win to be over an SEC team at their home field.

• Zed Orem, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 9:50 p.m.

I hate to be the one to bring folks up to speed, but for those of you getting angry about the Detmer comparisons, please realize they are sarcastic comments referring to the comment by Chow earlier this week that Wynn reminds him of Detmer.

• nunya sacramento, ca
    Sept. 1, 2011 9:49 p.m.

hahahahahahaha

• B Logan, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 9:45 p.m.

Detmer never played a Big Sky school. About 21 years ago he was a Junior too. He played his opening game against the #1 team in the land...Miami. And he passed for over 400 yards. We can quit with the Wynn/Detmer comparisons anytime now.

• VegasCoug Las Vegas, NV
    Sept. 1, 2011 9:43 p.m.

Jordan Wynn with a very Detmer-like 103 yards passing against a mighty Big Sky team! Impressive!

• VegasCoug Las Vegas, NV
    Sept. 1, 2011 9:40 p.m.

4 for 13 on 3rd downs.... those teams from the Big Sky conference sure are tough to convert 3rd downs on! Bwahahahaha!!!

• SoCalUtahFan Utesville, CA
    Sept. 1, 2011 9:39 p.m.

MSU > BYU

• Andrew J. Marksen Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 9:38 p.m.

27 points against a Big Sky school? Really? Could be a long year.

• mikeyd Millville, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 9:33 p.m.

Detmer would have had more yards cuz Lavell would have had him throwing the ball 60 times. And still throwing after a 40+ point lead.

• bebot SHAWNEE MISSION, KS
    Sept. 1, 2011 9:30 p.m.

Offense was terrible, this would be a 30 point loss against USC

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 9:23 p.m.

Montana State is ranked 5th in the FCS or whatever it's called. So... I'm not too distraught over the margin though I feel like I'd have preferred that Utah got to a slow start and figured things out rather than started off good and proceed to fall apart. Wynn has a lot of completions for such a small yardage total, either they played rediculously conservatively (is it really wise to hold cards tight to the chest?) or there's just no deep passing game.

• MR Draper, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 9:21 p.m.

A lot of questions still. 100 yrds passing is not going to get it done. Big plays on special teams and defense won the game. Without them, could have easily been a close game.

• Utes Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 9:20 p.m.

I will say that Utah's defense seems to have much more team speed than last year's team. However, it may just look that way against a less-caliber team. Their team speed may turn out to be average in the Pac-12.

What was good? No turnovers. Typically, Utah has several in their opening game.

• Iheartblood Salt Lake, Utah
    Sept. 1, 2011 9:18 p.m.

the defense allowed 258 yards from a "high school team". 183 of these were pass yards. There is a big gap there that will be exploited over the next couple games. If Montana can do that, I am nervous for the rest of the season.

I did really enjoy Whites performance. Hopefully that will carry on through the season.

Also, McGhee was really good tonight at QB for MT. I was really impressed with how well he played.

• Utes Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 9:18 p.m.

Jordan Wynn was unimpressive to say the least. So was Vakapuna.

• Randy01 Lees Summit, MO
    Sept. 1, 2011 9:17 p.m.

@cougar_independence: Montana State IS a FBS powerhouse!

• pittsburgh Ute West Jordan, Utah
    Sept. 1, 2011 9:16 p.m.

It was clear that the Utes played very conservatively. The coaches didnt want to tip their hand at all. We had our best O-lineman on the bench and we just played eat the clock in the whole 2nd half. There are concerns for sure, but dont read too much into this game, this was like a preseason game. White looked great, Wynn, not so much and the D bit on the play action alot. But the big players made big plays. The tough part is we dont have any more 'tune up' games.

• byronbca Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 9:16 p.m.

John White looked great, Jordan Wynn did not, I don't think he completed a single pass over 10 yards. The O line also needs to improve their pass protection if Utah is going to have a chance against USC. Utah's receivers were also non existent in the game.

The D looked good but the D line didn't dominate like I thought they should have. I realize that Utah was playing close to the vest, but the offense looked drab and out of rhythm. The Utah coaches are definitely going to have a lot of ammunition against the players during film, hopefully they'll respond and play better against USC.

• Bastiatarian TUCSON, AZ
    Sept. 1, 2011 9:14 p.m.

>Wynn reminded me of Ty Detmer.

Yeah, I kind of think that Detmer would have thrown for more than 101 yards against Montana State...

• scott182 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 9:14 p.m.

Wish Wynn would have seemed more confident, but I think we have a plan for USC. I think we needed to win by more but Montana looked pretty good! I think they could be a challange for most teams. Good luck to BYU in their opener also, I think you guys can get it done.

Go UTES!

• B Logan, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 9:10 p.m.

I don't think any questions were really answered tonight. It IS the first game of the season for Utah, but then, it IS the first game for Montana State too. It's only one game, but Utah didn't impress tonight.

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 9:05 p.m.

Jordan Wynn is NO Ty Detmer. John White though is a player! The man can run! Next week we will see what the utes are really all about.

• Bluewombat8 Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 9:03 p.m.

• just-a-fan Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 9:01 p.m.

Underwhelming performance.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 9:01 p.m.

Wynn reminded me of Ty Detmer.

• Cougar_Independence OMAHA, NE
    Sept. 1, 2011 8:59 p.m.

Very impressed with Utah's offense.

3 points in 2nd half against Big Sky Powerhouse Montana State.

• armchairQBonthehill Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 7:52 p.m.

KJAZZ - terrible quality broadcast, but at least the Utes are getting through the opener as expected! Really will need to have that proverbial huge improvement though between games 1 and 2 to be ready for USC. Defense so far - looks really good . . . with the exception of Conroy Black. He is playing like he did last year vs. TCU (deer in the headlights look - which is shocking vs. this level of talent). Coach Scalley will need to adjust for the Trojan greyhounds next week or it will be ugly in L.A. I was also concerned to see Jordan only go 5 for 10 in 1st quarter, and the incomplete passes looked really really bad, but Coach Chow will run more so he won't be forced to go high into the pitch count this week. Kicking game has shown real consistency over previous weeks of fall camp . . go Utes!

• Floyd Johnson Broken Arrow, OK
    Sept. 1, 2011 7:48 p.m.

Got it! Thanks.

• U 90 Corona, CA
    Sept. 1, 2011 7:35 p.m.

Floyd, you can go to the U of U athletics website and pick up the game there

• Floyd Johnson Broken Arrow, OK
    Sept. 1, 2011 7:24 p.m.

I want to watch the game, what Direct TV channel is it on? Good luck Utes!