Sports

BYU football: Heaps happy, poised and confident

Comments

• Otis Spurlock Ogden, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 10:00 a.m.

You know what is so great about Heap? Everything. I don't even care that he chose not to go on a mission. Football is really the most important thing in life anyway.

Go Heaps, Go Brocon, Go BYU.

• sports-junkie West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 10:18 a.m.

aggieblue,

Did you write a book called, "Things losers might say?"

Dude, have a little more faith in your team. Nobody knows whats going to happen on the field until the game is played. Nobody picked BYU to beat OK two years ago, and Im sure no one is picking USU to beat Auburn. But, thats why they play the game. Anything can happen, even for the Aggies.

Go Cougs!!!

• aggieblue Saint George, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 8:37 a.m.

I enjoy all of the banter back and forth between u and y fans. My Aggies are struggling and are not on the same plain with some teams. I still love them and follow them. I enjoy their committment and I love watching Aggie football. I discovered something that maybe the u and y fans need to realize. You can't win every game, chances are that your hated enemy won't loose every game. The outcome really doesn't affect my life, I don't change my schedule because of outcome. The sun comes up whether we win or loose.

I just enjoy the game and the kids. We had a great day last year when we prevailed over the y and I was happy for the day. The following weeks weren't so joyous but I still watched and rooted for them.

I can't predict winners and loosers other than we won't loose to the u this year.

Enjoy the season, it is really different than the past.

• AK Cougar Palmer, AK
    Aug. 31, 2011 8:40 p.m.

Good article about Jake Heaps. It is nice to see the young man complimenting his competition and looking forward to the contest. When ever Jake talkes, it is always about someone else, not ahout himself. Glad to have him on the team.

Go Cougars.

• Mudd Lehi, UT
    Aug. 31, 2011 8:37 p.m.

All I can say is, after all the positive talk coming from players and coaches alike for weeks now, they had better perform and perform well!

• sports-junkie West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 31, 2011 8:10 p.m.

Norm Chow says JW reminds him of Detmer...

Brandon Doman says Jake's progress since the NM Bowl is impressive and he has come a long way.

Coach talk? Naw, JW IS the second coming of Steve Young, Jim McMahon and Ty Detmer all put together.. I think we all know that's true.

And if Jake is even a little better than he was at the end of last year it's going to be an exciting year for the Cougars.

Go Cougs!!!

• Kouger Lehi, UT
    Aug. 31, 2011 7:42 p.m.

I'm so excited, I just can't hide it! Go Heaps and the Cougars! Strut your stuff! ... did I say "undefeated" here before? Yes I did!

• TamaSamoa Las Vegas, NV
    Aug. 31, 2011 7:35 p.m.

Is it Saturday yet? Everyone's invited to my place for some island grub and football Sat. That includes you, Chris B!! lol

• Chris. B SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Aug. 31, 2011 6:06 p.m.

Somebody tweaked the tweak of my tweak's tweak.

The real scores will be:

BYU 70
    Old Miss 21

Heaps goes wild, and gets taken out in the second quarter cause he already threw 6 TD's

Utah 0
    Hanah Montana 0

Huge earthquake happens and game is postponed till next week when they pull a double header with USC. Wynn also falls and hurts his shoulder during the earthquake and hurts his shoulder again and need surgery again

• GoGetter Sandy, UT
    Aug. 31, 2011 5:06 p.m.

Mildred in Fillmore,

I beg to differ.
    He has yet to impress the people that count. He is only a sophomore, give him some time to see how good he actually ends up before you make assumptions like that.

Nevertheless, good luck to both teams this week. College football has finally come!

• dhsalum Saint George, UT
    Aug. 31, 2011 5:05 p.m.

Chris B | 3:24 p.m. Aug. 31, 2011
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Starfarer,

Thanks for noticing.

Rabbit and dhsalum,

No - byu will not win.
    -------------------------
    I feel really dumb now about my first comment, but BYU's domination on Saturday will lift my spirits...

• Chris B. Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 31, 2011 5:02 p.m.

Starfarer,

Thanks for noticing.

Rabbit and dhsalum,

Yes - byu will win.

I have attracted several followers. Flattering really. This follower tweaked what I have been predicting.

Which is....

Ole miss athletes 30
    byu athletes 107

Utah athletes 45
    Montanta 10

• Starfarer Mesa, AZ
    Aug. 31, 2011 4:45 p.m.

For a translation of what Chris B really means when he uses words like "athletes" or "diversity" or "speed" go to my post on the article about the firesides.

It will help you understand him better.

The comments department won't allow me to post it twice.

• Wyomin OREM, UT
    Aug. 31, 2011 4:23 p.m.

Heaps is a class act! Saturday can't get here fast enough.

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    Aug. 31, 2011 4:20 p.m.

Interesting that Heaps and Brunetti know and (presumably) respect each other.

Small world.

Not surprising that Jake is happy. He's the #1 guy on campus right now. Who wouldn't be happy? Especially someone who knew how good he was coming out of high school. He expected himself to be in his current place. Sure he's happy. Duh.

We'll see on Saturday whether that happiness translates into a stellar performance, or at least one good enough to produce a win. Hopin' so!

• Christy B Salt Lake City, Utah
    Aug. 31, 2011 3:50 p.m.

Somebody tweaked the tweak of my tweak.

The real scores will be:

BYU 47
    Old Miss 7

Heaps goes wild!

Utah 7
    Hanah Montana 47

Wynn also goes wild, but with his lack of practice time, forgets which color jerseys he's supposed to be throwing to.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 31, 2011 3:24 p.m.

Starfarer,

Thanks for noticing.

Rabbit and dhsalum,

No - byu will not win.

Which is....

Ole miss athletes 30
    byu sunday school kids 17

Utah athletes 45
    Montanta 10

• Mildred in Fillmore Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 31, 2011 3:08 p.m.

Jake is the best quarterback in the game. He will prove that this year.

• Starfarer Mesa, AZ
    Aug. 31, 2011 2:54 p.m.

The above Chris B. is not the same as the Chris B (no period) that isn't man enough to define "athletes," won't put his commenting future on the line to back up his wild fantasy claims, and won't admit that he hides behind his "bias" that...

BYU is just too white, too religious, and too successful for his narrow mind.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Aug. 31, 2011 2:53 p.m.

I like Jake Heaps more each time I read about him. He came off as being a little arrogant at first, now I see him as confident and motivated. If he does as good as many expect him to do, BYU should have a great year.
    3 more days to BYU football.

• RevK Glenwood, UT
    Aug. 31, 2011 2:52 p.m.

@ The Rabbit, its called hidden respect

• dhsalum Saint George, UT
    Aug. 31, 2011 2:50 p.m.

Chris B. | 2:00 p.m. Aug. 31, 2011
    byu 30
    Ole Miss 17

Utah will be 1-0. byu will be 1-0. And I will be 2-0.
    -----------------------
    But I already "marked it down" as a BYU loss like you told me to....

• TXBYUFAN Spring, TX
    Aug. 31, 2011 2:26 p.m.

So ready for Saturday. Let's go Cougs!!

• The Rabbit (in Spanish) Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 31, 2011 2:13 p.m.

Did I read that right? Chris B. is predicting a BYU win? Someone check the temperature in Hades, it must be snowing!

• Chris B. Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 31, 2011 2:00 p.m.

Utah 45
    Montana State 10

byu 30
    Ole Miss 17

Utah will be 1-0. byu will be 1-0. And I will be 2-0.

• The Chosen One Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 31, 2011 1:53 p.m.

Good Luck Cougars on Saturday against Ole Miss!
    Hopefully this is the first post, I always want to beat Chris B to it. But he seems to always be sitting around waiting for BYU articles!