Sports

BYU football: Tight end Devin Mahina out 10-12 weeks with neck fracture

Comments

• SouthernUtahUte Hurricane, UT
    Aug. 30, 2011 10:25 p.m.

Unfortunate and sad injury. Hopefully no permanent damage is sustained. Injuries in general are no good, especially to the neck.

Here's to a speedy recovery!

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Aug. 30, 2011 10:29 p.m.

Unbelievable. I wish Devin a speedy and successful recovery. I really thought he and Holt would make some noise this year. Hopefully, Wilson can fill the void. He doesn't have the size of Holt or Mahina, but seems to have the fight.

• BluCoug Provo, UT
    Aug. 30, 2011 10:41 p.m.

Heres to a speedy recover Devin!

• CougarOnTheProwl Murray, UT
    Aug. 30, 2011 10:45 p.m.

Thats too bad and very unfortunate, I hope he makes a full recovery and is ready to go next season.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    Aug. 31, 2011 1:27 a.m.

I really hope that he gets better soon. With him needing to be out that long, I hope that he could use his medical redshirt.

I'm not usually one to disagree with the coaches, but "thin" at TE. BYU is anything but thin at TE, especially considering the logjam that existed last year. There are still 3 TEs in Austin Holt, Richard Wilson, and Marcus Matthews who can play. There are fewer TEs available, but the position is hardly thin.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Aug. 31, 2011 8:45 a.m.

From a Utah fan and disliker of all things BYU: Any injury, especially one involving the neck/back, is a heartbreaking tragedy. Best wishes to Devin for a speedy recovery.

• lasermann Orem, UT
    Aug. 31, 2011 9:20 a.m.

Wow, how tough is that kid? Practices two weeks, full contact, with a fractured neck?

Go Cougs!

• CT98 Saint George, UT
    Aug. 31, 2011 9:29 a.m.

Devin should immediately read the Danny Frazier article!

• JonnyDanger HOUSTON, TX
    Aug. 31, 2011 9:44 a.m.

Very unfortunate injury. Here's hoping for a speedy and full recovery. And thank you Brave Sir Robin for showing some class. I was sure that Chris B had tactlessly already given us (yet again) his/her prediction of this weeks games. It is good to see class among the haters.

Go Cougars!!

• Striker Omaha, NE
    Aug. 31, 2011 10:00 a.m.

How weird is it to hurt your back putting on your shoe? Remember when DiLuigi broke his foot when he stepped on a newspaper? We need Sorensen's leg every week. Hope he gets better and can at least kick and run a little.

• Draft dumbie Farmington, UT
    Aug. 31, 2011 10:04 a.m.

It's a disappointment to lose Mahina to injury when he was showing so much promise. However, I'm glad to see that Putnam is back in school. What a disappointment it would be for him to miss his senior season, because of academic issues. It seems he could be a real asset to the team.

I'm also curious as to why Chambers will not allowed to rejoin the team until January. As I recall, he missed most of last season after his suspension. Seems like a rather severe penalty to miss almost two full seasons for mouthing off about the coaches and choice of quarterbacks--especially when there actually was significant internal strife within the offensive coaching staff last year, as well as a quarterback controversy caused by the way Bronco handled things for the first several games of the season. Does anyone know the real story? It almost seems like Chambers is being punished just for having the type of personality that caused he to speak out about his his opinion. Does anyone know how many more years of eligibility he has? I was under the impression that he was a junior last year when he was suspended.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Aug. 31, 2011 10:14 a.m.

Good Luck Devin
    This could be a good thing in the long run assuming he fully recovers. That would give him a year longer in the program and BYU wouldn't lose 4 Tight ends to graduation in the same year. Maybe he will be the #1 TE in 2014.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 31, 2011 10:25 a.m.

It is sure a good thing they found that injury. What a scary thought that he might have played with a fracture in his neck. Football just isn't that important as compared to something like a neck injury. I'm sure he is disappointed but disappointment is nothing compared to how he would have felt if a sharp piece of bone cut his spinal cord.

I hope he recovers quickly and fully.

• QBU OREM, UT
    Aug. 31, 2011 12:42 p.m.

The season can't start soon enough. What started out as a healthy fall camp has started to turn into season-ending injuries to some potential game changers. We will miss Mahina's size, but since we have 3 other good options at TE, I don't think this injury hurts us as much as our FB situation. First losing a Manase Tonga - like FB in Iona Pritchard, and now Zed Mendenhall being a game-time decision with his sprained ankle. Both Alisa and Kariya will do a decent job stepping into a FB role, but neither are the bruising blockers that typically fills the FB spot. Lets hope Zed can go Saturday

• wvc-utefan west valley city, ut
    Aug. 31, 2011 6:58 p.m.

I am also very anti-BYU (yes, even some LDS are anti-BYU), but having played football, a neck injury like this scares me. I hope he has a quick and full recovery, and there are not further issues as a result of this original injury. Good luck to him, and to his family and team mates in getting through this.