Sports

Utah Utes sports: Pac-12 vision calls for abundant content, availability

Comments

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Aug. 27, 2011 6:54 p.m.

@ Carson

That's all you can think of? In fact it's the most popular and abused response to any comment on a Ute story... you're just jealous.

Could you please explain to me what I'm jealous about? I'm dying to know.

• Carson Provo, UT
    Aug. 27, 2011 11:13 a.m.

Poor Sammyg and his little buddy Duckie. The whole Pac 12 move has driven them crazy with jealousy.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Aug. 26, 2011 11:17 p.m.

I love the TV smack. Please tell me tv fans how every game is going to be on national tv when every article on this topic states that a regional network for Utah and Colorado is being created.

If every game is on national tv, FOX, ESPN, PAC Network then why the need for a regional Pac network? Just for women's gymnastics?

I'm willing to bet the farm that some of the Ute football games will not have national tv exposure, just regional only. Prove me wrong and I'll shut up on the topic.

• Swoop Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 26, 2011 8:09 p.m.

Uteology

BYUtv is already available in 60 million homes.

The PAC 12 network has only ESTIMATED to be available in 45 million homes...

and that's only for the main network.

The regional channels will have much, much smaller distribution. If you're a Utah fan living in California, good luck trying to watch your team on the Utah/Colorado regional PAC 12 channel.

As usual, Utah fans are obsessed with money over exposure.

BYU fans nationwide just want to have access to BYU sports. They couldn't care less how much money BYU receives from BYUtv.

In BYU's first year of independence, BYU fans anywhere in the country will be able to watch every BYU football game in HD, either on ESPN, or through a myriad of feeds through BYUtv.

Can U honestly say the same thing about Utah fans in Utah's first year in a BCS conference?

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Aug. 26, 2011 7:33 p.m.

Uteology | 4:53 p.m. Aug. 26, 2011
    Fort Worth, Texas

===

You don't have to go "Old English" on me.

No need to call me "the". Asking "would you" is fine.

I do not know why more carriers picked it up.

It was in an article a few days ago.

Thee might google it if thou wants.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Aug. 26, 2011 7:29 p.m.

Uteology | 4:53 p.m. Aug.
    Fort Worth, Texas

@Veritas Aequitas

The point was why were you the first one to bring up BYU when the story had nothing to do with them (aka off topic). As a neutral fan, why take a dig at Utah having "BYU['s] dream"?
    ===

Because I could.

Taking you at your sord, why wasn't that the point you made, instead of making stuff up...

Oh, I forgot.

You are Uteology.

Uteology does not connect unless the stuff is made up.

Sorry, it was a humorous dig at the fact that even in the minds of hater kids like yours best-case-scenario it will never be what you strive so much for...

A program like the team down south has.

Personally, I though the comment on a story about "abundant content, availability" to be very much on topic (which again seems to be beyond your grasp).

===
    On the topic of TV stories.

My Crimson Club brother told me that Urban Meyer is going to do the color commentary for the BYU Utah game, and is required to say BYU, for the first time publically (serious, not a joke).

Can anyone verify?

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Aug. 26, 2011 4:53 p.m.

@Veritas Aequitas

@scenic view | 3:02 p.m. Aug. 26, 2011
    BYUtv - 60 million
    PAC 12 - 45 million

-----------

Correct me if I am wrong but that is supply not demand. I believe PAC-12 teams get $10 million a year form the PAC-12 network, which should give you an idea of the networks demand.

Now, what is the demand for BYUtv? Giving it away free? Would the explain why more carriers picked up the channel? No idea how cable networks pick up channels so I could be wrong.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Aug. 26, 2011 3:56 p.m.

1984 for life | 3:31 p.m. Aug. 26, 2011
    Salt Lake City, UT
    @ Duckhunter | 3:08 p.m. Aug. 26, 2011
    Highland, UT

With this endorsement, Larry Scott and the Ute nation can now go forward.
    ===

And it is about time. I thought PAC-12 would allow Ute fans to move forward, but if all it took was Duckhunter's endorsement, then I am estatic.

I have said it before, and will say it again.

People in the state of Utah, are finally (after the mtn, and MWC) ready to watch some great athletics. We are going from being starved, to a feast!

I do not know of a place in the world that has the population of the Wasatch Front that has been given such a drastic change and opportunity for college sports as we lucky fans.

I hope Larry Scott pulls it off for the U. He has disappointed me so far, but if he comes through, I will personally nominate both Larry Scott and Tom Holmoe for co-winners of my personal "Man of the Decade" award!

• 1984 for life Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 26, 2011 3:31 p.m.

@ Duckhunter | 3:08 p.m. Aug. 26, 2011
    Highland, UT

With this endorsement, Larry Scott and the Ute nation can now go forward.

Thank you.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 26, 2011 3:08 p.m.

Now let me just say that what the pac10 is attempting to do is a very big deal. If they can take it completely to the level they seek to take it then all of the pac schools will have a wonderful amount of exposure and fans will have alot of access to them. That is great.

But it is not unprecedented, in fact all they are trying to do is exactly what BYU has already done all by themselves. BYU already has a national deal with ESPN and will appear on that network more than any other school. BYU will have more nationally televised games than any other team this season.

BYU already has it's own network, they do not need an additional regional one because theirs is dedicated to them and is national. BYU also has already set up all of the online and mobile device streaming. It is in place and ready to go.

So yes the pac's vision is big and bold but BYU already has all of that on their own. That means fans in this state are going to be well served with access to their favorite school.

Congratulations. Sincerely.

• scenic view Baltimore, MD
    Aug. 26, 2011 3:02 p.m.

Mormon Ute

"Yes, it is offered to all providers at no charge, but those providers all charge a fee to every home they serve. So every BYU fan will have to pay to see BYUtv."

Silly argument. BYUtv is free over the air in Utah and in some areas in surrounding states.

BYUtv is on the basic tier of most cable and satelite systems that carry BYUtv, so as far as no extra charges, it is free to anybody that has cable or satelite.

That's far different from the PAC 12 network which will charge an extra, subscription fee, if it's available on a certain system. the PAC 12 network won't be available to ANYBODY over the air for free.

Estimates of the number of homes each is/will be available in:

BYUtv - 60 million
    PAC 12 - 45 million

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 26, 2011 3:01 p.m.

@Dutchman

I sincerely apologize for my "stupid' comment, if you were simply trying to be funny then I missed it. Sorry.

@mormon ute

why do you continually take things out of context? That comment "if it happens" refered directly to my bet. "If" the pac10 network is avaiable to the required number of homes by the start of training camp next year then I lose the bet. That really isn't that hard to understand. I say "if" because it is certainly no sure thing. At this time there are no agreement with any of the sattelite providers to carry it and only a handful of regional cable companies. So yes "if it happens" is exactly right. That has nothing to do with FOX or ESPN.

Second of all, and just to burst your bubble, BYUtv is avaialbe for free and in HD over the air all across the Wasatch front. So it is with much pleasure I prove this little laugher false:

"Sorry to burst your bubble, but nobody will get BYUtv for free...So every BYU fan will have to pay to see BYUtv."

But on the bright side ute fans can watch utah for free, occasionally, on kjzz.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Aug. 26, 2011 2:20 p.m.

Uteology | 4:54 a.m. Aug. 26, 2011
    Fort Worth, Texas
    @Veritas Aequitas

===

You are awesome at always telling me what I have posted, so find where I have ever posted I am a season ticket holder.

I have posted I go to games at LES, and BYU (usually one or two per year), the rest I have family and friends over for food, drink, and replays (unless you are watching in the boxes.

I mean, why limit yourself to the traffic hassles every weekend.

The neat thing is I get the good free tics (I haven't paid to watch a college or HS game in 20 years at least...). I will say I think that BYU has better food in the box area than the buffet tent. Utah has great food up in the boxes.

This recent vendetta is funny if only for the weakness of your posts.

I will definately think of you as I attend games at both RES and LES this year.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Aug. 26, 2011 1:41 p.m.

phoenix,

Sorry to burst your bubble, but nobody will get BYUtv for free. Yes, it is offered to all providers at no charge, but those providers all charge a fee to every home they serve. So every BYU fan will have to pay to see BYUtv.

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    Aug. 26, 2011 1:17 p.m.

Duckhunter,

Let me state for the record that you are correct about the bet. The way you stated it here today is exactly how it goes. Also, you have enlightened me as to BYUtv and Olympic sports with your comment. I had no idea that the WCC was working with BYUtv in broadcasting the Olympic sports for the conference. Can I assume that it will be for the entire conference or is it just for games involving BYU and WCC conference opponents? That would make a big difference.

You referred to part of my comment as "stupid". Perhaps I should have ended that comment with the letters LOL as you offen do to indicate that I am having a little "fun". The "devotional" reference was meant to be humorous. Please don't take things so serious but in the future I will try to remember to use LOL.

• phoenix Gilbert, AZ
    Aug. 26, 2011 12:53 p.m.

PAC 12 "Vision" may never equal reality.

It remains to be seen just how many Utah sports events actually end up being broadcast on ESPN, FOX, and the PAC 12 networks, and just what kind of distribution the PAC 12 networks will have.

One thing BYU fans can count on is when the sports schedule says BYUtv, it'll be available in 60 million homes nationwide, FOR FREE, and in millions more homes worldwide, and will also be available via live streaming online and through numerous portable electronic devices.

BYUtv is already up and running, and hard-wired into the Marriott Center and LaVell Edwards Stadium for HD broadcasts.

The PAC 12 network is still a work in progress and will only be available by subscription.

BYU controls its own product.

Utah is at the mercy of whatever the PAC 12 network decides.

• truthsandwich RANDOLPH, UT
    Aug. 26, 2011 12:33 p.m.

So I guess all of our games aren't going to be on Versus then?

Weird. This seems to have really upset a lot of ute-obsessed cougar "fans".

Welcome to our articles though, once again :)

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Aug. 26, 2011 12:11 p.m.

Duckunter,

"...if it actually happens..." That isn't a negative comment?

I would assert that ESPN and Fox Sports Net are predominantly sports networks, so I guess you don't consider them to be major.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Aug. 26, 2011 11:58 a.m.

I am truly looking forward to the new PAC 12 media offerings. As a person who has chosen not to have satellite or cable TV in my home, I rely on the internet for programming. With each new anouncement more and more is said about the internet offerings that are planned and that is great for people like me. I'm excited for the day when I will not be relegated to listening to football and basketball away games on the radio, simply because I choose not to buy an exhorbitant sattelite or cable package that includes a bunch of garbage I don't want.

I only wish I didn't have to wait until next year, but that is a small price to pay when I consider how limited my options would be, if we were still in the MWC.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 26, 2011 11:55 a.m.

@mormon ute

Who care why BYUtv was created. Who cares if only some of the content is sports. The fact is it is widely distributed and available all over the country and the world and BYU fans will be able to watch a bunch of BYU sports on it. Tom Holmoe did a radio interview just last week where he said hundreds, that's right HUNDREDS, of BYU sporting events will be broadcast on it each and every year.

Of course none of the major networks are predominanatly sports progaramming either, sports are just part of their programming. So much for that assertion of yours.

But why are you utah "fans" so bent about this. I personally haven't said a single negative thing about the pac10 network, or the pac10 tv deal, in this article. You guys are so overly sensitive that you are seeing criticism where absolutely none exists.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 26, 2011 11:48 a.m.

Sammyg -

I notice you STILL don't understand how the Pac 12 TV deal works. I won't bother explaining it to you yet again, we'll just keep letting you spew forth your own version of it while you subconsciously keep hoping you're version is right. Whatever makes you feel better, but you're credibility gets downgraded every time you post.
    As for me, I'm just glad the Utes are a part of the greatest TV arrangement in sports history! Go Utes!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 26, 2011 11:39 a.m.

johninslc

You continue to perpetuate a lie. I have stated to you several times exactly what constitutes the bet. I will do it again. I bet that the pac10 network would not be available nationwide by next season. As of today it is not avaialbe anywhere at all although it has been announced. In the announcement both Larry Scott and Chris Hill used the words "hopefully" and "potentially" at no point did either of them say "definately".

In otherwords there is no done deal yet to have it reach the level of availability to win the bet. I thought I had said 85% although one of the utah fans claims it was 75% so we can go with 75% which means if it is avaiable to 75% of the tv's in the nation it will be "nationwide".

Also what I said I would do is not post on any utah articles from the beggining of fall camp through the end of the bowl games. Since that date is approximately August of next year not only has nothing be won but the dates of my non posting aren't until then.

It appears you are desperate enough to lie continually about it.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Aug. 26, 2011 11:37 a.m.

I find it interesting that there are more BYU fan comments on this very Ute article than Ute fan comments. Interesting comentary on how some BYU fans just can't wait to find something they can dig Ute fans about.

I also find it interesting that many BYU sports fans seem to believe that BYUtv was created primarily to showcase BYU sports. The real evidence suggests ortherwise. BYUtv was created years ago before BYU's move away from the MWC allowed them to broadcast their sports outside the mtn. Anyone who has ever looked at the content on BYUtv knows that it was created to advance the LDS Church's message in a way only sattelite and cable TV can do. That is why is offered to all providers at no charge. Even when sporting events do start appearing on BYUtv they will be a small fraction of the actual programming. While it is true that BYUtv reaches 60 million home in the U.S. and a large international population, people who watch the channel will be seeing a long line of devotionals and family friendly shows with a few sporting events thrown in here and there.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 26, 2011 11:26 a.m.

@Dutchman

BYU's Olympic Sports are going to be on BYUtv, they actually already are. The womens soccer game this week, in which bYU pounded utah, was shown live on BYUtv. I personally this week completed a project in the BYU Smith Fieldhouse that is part of the infrastructure for the HD feeds that will be used to broadcast Mens and Womens Volleyball from that facility on BYUtv. BYutv has already broadcast the WCC mens basketball tournament last season and has already annouced an agreement to boradcast the 1st two rounds of it in the future. The WCC commissioner in the last month discussed how there is already an agreement in place for BYUtv to broadcast that conferences alympic psorts as well.

In otherwords BYUtv is already up and running, it has been for years, has already broadcast both olympic and non olympic sports and has done so for the WCC.

In otherwords you are completely wrong.

• forreal people SLC, UT
    Aug. 26, 2011 10:57 a.m.

It is very interesting that Ive never seen a Utah fan arguing that Utahs 2011 tv deal/exposure is better than what byu has in 2011. Why? Because that would not be true, byu's exposure appears to be much better than Utahs in 2011.

I do however, see byu fans posting all the time how their tv exposure will be better than Utah's in 2012 and beyond. Which, of course, is false.

Why the dishonesty?

Why are the Utah fans incapable of fabricating delusions that are simply not true? While BYU fans on this website - as a default - continue to ignore reality, ignore the details of the Pac 12 tv deal, and pretend that the 2011 exposure situation will continue forever?

I don't understand that behavior. It truly baffles me.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 26, 2011 10:50 a.m.

Ducky's still here, lost bet or no lost bet.

His excuse seems to be that since the Pac-12 networks aren't up and running yet, he's off the hook. Funny how he forgets that works both ways--BYUtv has yet to show, much less schedule, a live football game. So as it stands now, Utah football will be just as available on the Pac-12 networks in 2012 as BYU football is on BYUtv. You still lose.

And if it really happens, remember that HSN is available in more homes than BYUtv. That doesn't mean people will actually watch it.

("Honey, find BYUtv so we can watch BYU play San Jose State." "Forget it, I'm watching Utah and USC on Fox.")

• forreal people SLC, UT
    Aug. 26, 2011 10:48 a.m.

There is no need for BYU fans to keep posting about "regional" vs. "national" tv.

The pack 12 tv deal has 90 football games a year on one of the national distributions: either ESPN family, Fox family, or the NATIONAL Pac-12 network.

You can assume all you want that Utah will somehow be marginalized and cut-out of those 90 games, having all of them on the regional pac-12 network. But That will not be the case. It could slightly trend that way if all Utah does is loose, but I think you better wait and see.

The pac-12 teams are not getting paid more than any other teams in the nation (fact) for tv money because they will all be regional broadcasts. Get a clue. Go back and Google all the stories that disclose the details.

Just remember that each and every pac-12 team is getting paid more to be on tv than byu is. It's weird to be condescending when you have the lower hand.

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    Aug. 26, 2011 10:35 a.m.

Duckhunter,

The difference is we know that Utah Olympic sports will be on a regional PAC 12 network channel and will include all of the PAC 12 inventory of Olympic sports. You don't even know yet whether BYUtv will televise Olympic sports and if they do it certainly will not include the inventory from an entire athletic conference.

By the way, I did not quote a scripture. It was a statement from a general authority. I would think that you would recognize the difference. And I did say that it is ok to defend your position with facts and friendly persuation which is what I am doing.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 26, 2011 10:02 a.m.

@Dutchman

While this will certainly be good for utah, and all of the pac10, as far as exposure is concerned, if it actually happens. Your little dig at BYU is a bit stupid and violates your scripture quoting and calls for civility from the last several days.

The truth is BYUtv is already available on over 60 million tv's in the u.s. which makes it a very widely distributed network. That does not even include its worldwide distribution which is huge. The pac10 networks are currently available in 0 households on 0 tv sets. Yes I am sure they will be available sometime in the future but don't be surprised if it take several years before it even comes close to equalling the level of distribution BYUtv currently has let alone BYUtv's level of distribution several years down the road.

Also virtually no one but fans of the schools playing in the game are going to tune in to any channel to watch them play, so being on the pac10 network is not going to get utah games any more exposure than BYUtv will give BYU games. If the fans can see them then it is enough.

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    Aug. 26, 2011 9:27 a.m.

"....Pac-12 football or basketball fan, every game will be on ESPN, Fox or the Pac-12 Networks,"

That's every football and basketball game televised nationally folks. The regional networks are for the Olympic sports. And where are the BYU Olympic sports televised? Oh yea, maybe on BYUtv if the devotional is not scheduled.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 26, 2011 9:16 a.m.

Nice! If I'm traveling I'll be able to watch live broadcasts on my iPhone of U baseball, swimming, gymnastics, etc., not to mention EVERY football and basketball game.

Sure beats trying to find a (non-alcoholic) sports bar for endless replays of cougies playing Idaho State or Portland, in between endless replays of "Little House On The Prairie."

• U 90 Corona, CA
    Aug. 26, 2011 8:05 a.m.

This is a Utah article yet sammy has posted more times than any Ute fan

Just admit it sam, you're a closet Utah fan. Your obsession with the Red & White on these boards proves it. Don't fight it, walk to the light.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Aug. 26, 2011 7:33 a.m.

@Carnak

'Big Boy' nationally relevant football, as you call it, is found on national tv broadcast networks... not on regional networks this year or next.

I love tv smack this year and next.

"Objects in (rearview) mirror are closer than they appear"

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Aug. 26, 2011 5:38 a.m.

This is really cool for The U. The U has really hit the jack pot with the Pac12 and it is going to be a whole new era for the people of Utah - graduating from the minor leagues to the major leagues in sports. I think this will also elevate the U as a university just being lumped in with UCLA, Stanford, Cal etc...

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Aug. 26, 2011 4:54 a.m.

@Veritas Aequitas

As a Ute season ticket holder (right) you really like bringing up BYU on Ute articles a lot. Please tell us where in this article or 'Who am I sir's' post does it refer to BYU? Um, don't cry, dry your eye... it'll be alright.

Looking forward to the PAC-12 network next year.

Go UTES!

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 11:51 p.m.

Who am I sir? | 10:48 p.m. Aug. 25, 2011
    Cottonwood Heights, UT

===

Yes, sir. Oh yess oh yes!

It's Regional Heaven, it truely is.

Imagine, close your eyes. Can you smell it?

Everything. Replays, National TV, ESPN.

Yep, that's the smell of the Creamery.

Wait, sorry, we accidently gave you the BYU dream.

...Sorry...

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 10:48 p.m.

No longer must you be a football or basketball (men's) player to be seen on anything other than local television. Imagine as an athlete( in swimming & diving, baseball, softball, volleyball, soccer, gymnastics, track& field, golf, gymnastics, tennis, etc?) competing against world class athletes and having it televised either regionally or nationally. The future is bright and it's ours... Go UTES!

• Carnak Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 9:58 p.m.

@ sammyg | 9:44 p.m. Aug. 25, 2011
    Springville, UT

Enjoy playing a WAC schedule and dreaming of the BCS while the Utes play big boy football.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 9:44 p.m.

Got to love that local regional network thing for Utah and Colorado, the nation's hottest new rivalry. How will that regional rivalry spill over to the national network and get to the 40 million subscribers?

Oh, that's right, it won't and thus ALL of the Ute games will NOT be available across the whole cable or satellite network... only on the regional network and those select games that will be on the national Pac or Fox network.

Of course there's the possibility of streaming internet.

Still seems like a glorified Mtn. network.

It will be interesting to see how it evolves... next year.