Sports

Utah Utes football: Tony Bergstrom, John Cullen relish leadership roles

Comments

• Jute19 Poop, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 6:21 p.m.

Cullen is a stud. The Utes will do nothing but succeed this year! Go UTES!

• BillM75 Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 5:45 p.m.

Cullen & Bergstrom better stay healthy and have big years, or the U is going to get wiped out this year.

I'm a U fan, but the whole team is going to have to play much, much better than last year. The trash-talking followed by the non-efforts against TCU, ND & Boise were disgraceful, and we barely escaped against Pitt & BYU.

That said, the play calling & punting can't be worse than last season.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Aug. 24, 2011 4:20 p.m.

I'm a coug fan and it doesn't bother me what Cullen looks like. He'd look good on a Harley.

There's alot of smack of the honor code also. What it all comes to, is individual choice. It's our American right.

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 4:14 p.m.

"do you have a goatee?"

No, but I have a full beard, same as the man who founded the U of U, you know, Brigham Young.

• Go_Utes111 MIDVALE, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 4:04 p.m.

Ibleed, I am with you no more responding to the trolls.

Go Utes!!!! Can't wait for the 1st.

• I Will Be Till I Die Holladay, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 2:08 p.m.

JohninCH: I frequently joke with people telling them that the title of the next lesson in Priesthood is "Free Agency and How to Enforce It." ;-)

PS to Molli: I'm sure when you exercise outdoors in 95 degree weather that a) you don't sweat and b) your hair stays perfectly coiffed, right?

Sheesh - some people...

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 2:04 p.m.

The Deseret News seems obsessed with reporting on the Ute players and their tatoos. Cullen today and White yesterday. Is it because the reporters don't see tatoos very often or is there something subtle going on like trying to create a negative vibe? Whatever, I just want the game to start and see the Utes play. Cullen opening huge holes for White would be great.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    Aug. 24, 2011 2:03 p.m.

"It is amusing that people who are trying to be unique individuals choose to look like and do the same things all the other unique individuals are doing."

Rabbit,

Yes, they have the "choice" to just that.

• the longview North Salt Lake, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 1:51 p.m.

For people that look at Cullen and think: "I sure am glad I went to a school where nobody had the choice of having facial hair or long-hair" -- you and and your school deserve each other.

Remember the twilight zone episode?... "and best of all! we look just the same!"

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 1:43 p.m.

Till I Die:

Nice try. But I'm afraid even though BYU teaches the doctrine of free-agency, some of its fans will never stop telling you how to enforce it.

• I Will Be Till I Die Holladay, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 1:23 p.m.

Wow, we've had to deal with schedule smack, attendance smack, fan behavior smack, now we have to deal with goatee / dress code smack?!?! Really, Y fans? You guys know that about half the Utah team is RM's, right? And you wonder why LDS Ute fans can't stand you guys. "Welcome to BYU, the campus is our world."

@The Rabbit: nope, no goatee here.
    @Ibleedcrimson: sorry, some things you just can't let by.

• che loco Springville, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 1:03 p.m.

Thank you, Dirk, for writing an article on the O-Line! All of the other "skill" positions get the write-ups and publicity, but the OL is just as important as those other positions! There's so much more to football than those who get to touch the ball on every down!

• Ms Molli Bountiful, Utah
    Aug. 24, 2011 12:18 p.m.

I guess you know you are getting older when you look at the picture posted with this article and are glad that BYU has a dress code, which includes hair grooming!

• butters Salt Lake city, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 10:47 a.m.

13 hours eastcoastcoug, come on man. i guess all the guys on byu's team that have tats are great leaders too, yes?

oops, sorry. i wasn't supposed to talk to you.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    Aug. 24, 2011 10:35 a.m.

9 hours on a tattoo. Just what every great leader starts with.

• Pac12Utes Up on the Hill, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 10:28 a.m.

ibleedcrimson,

with ya all the way. this will take some time, but we can do it...

• Magna Ute Fan Magna, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 10:28 a.m.

I am with you Ibleedcrimson. Don't take the bait. Go Utes!

• The Rabbit (in Spanish) Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 10:26 a.m.

Apparently the Utah football team has boycotted the barber shop. How many long hairs are on the team now? All of them?

Before responding to this thread Utah fans, look in the mirror, do you have a goatee?

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Aug. 24, 2011 10:26 a.m.

"The O-line is going to be fine," Cullen said. "I promise the fans that."

Well, I'm sure Bergstrom and Cullen will be fine, but I'm not as optimistic about our OL as is he. We have poor depth at QB, and no experience at RB. Ergo, we have no margin for error. With Kemoeatu and Palelei failing to qualify, our depth along the O-Line had seriously been hampered.

Hopefully, Coach Davis is able to patch something together the way the Utes patched together our injury-ravaged DL and LB corps just before the 2009 Sugar Bowl.

GO UTES!

• Ibleedcrimson Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 9:30 a.m.

One week give or take to go, time to get excited. One more scrimage a week from tommorrow and 3 weeks to prep for SC.

We need a pact, no more feeding the trolls, any reference to them in a post or any response to one of their posts just gives them what they want, they're attention ho's. That's the only sure fired way to get them to go away, just ignore them, so who's with me?

• butters Salt Lake city, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 9:03 a.m.

great article. it's great to see two friends having a good time while competing with one another. this is what football is all about.

• Red Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 8:43 a.m.

Great story to shed some light on the warriors who battle every day without a lot of fanfare. Also, how great for Cullen to choose Utah over everywhere else he could of played.

That is because Utah is a great place to be. The mountains, skiing, biking and the people are awesome! There is not a better place to live in the world.

Go Utes!

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 8:34 a.m.

I can't wait to watch Cullen and Bergstrom pushing around some defensive lineman next week and beyond. They'll be a fun pair to follow through the season.

• bgl Santa Monica, CA
    Aug. 24, 2011 7:06 a.m.

Worrying about the Utah o line makes about as much sense as worrying if the sun will come up. There always seem to be at least two guys like John Cullen and Tony Bergstom leading the way and demanding the best from the younger linemen. And getting it. Kudos to the Ute coaching staff for finding these kinds of guys, coaching them up and turning them into tough, hard nosed leaders.

• BamaUte Owens Cross Roads, AL
    Aug. 24, 2011 6:38 a.m.

Good article Dirk, thanks. The diversity of the Utes is what makes them strong, constantly pushing each other to higher levels. It is no accident that Coach Whitt puts so many Utes in the NFL where they are succeeding. Stay healthy bookends B&C, amazing that they are the only seniors on the O, looking good for that 2012 run also.

Go Utes.

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Aug. 24, 2011 4:55 a.m.

"The O-line is going to be fine," Cullen said. "I promise the fans that."

Can't be, BYU fans like Duckhunter are promising us thatw our O-line is horrible so bad that these two NFL prospects wouldn't even play at BYU.

Anyway the article was a good read. Good luck to both this season.

• pittsburgh Ute West Jordan, Utah
    Aug. 24, 2011 4:34 a.m.

The O-line is going to be fine," Cullen said. "I promise the fans that."
    I am going to take the big man at his word. The O line has to be fine or even a little better than fine. If they can protect Wynn and open some holes for the young backs, we can go places. I am cautiously optimistic and very excited for our first year in the PAC 12.
    Go Utes!

• Classless Ute Fan Magna, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 12:11 a.m.

"The O-line is going to be fine," Cullen said. "I promise the fans that."

In the middle of fall camp, there were many/most of us worried about that. However, I think that the last week of camp showed that the O-Line will be fine. The coaching staff has worked hard and have shifted a couple of players and got a final recruit last week to give us a solid 2 deep line. I'm glad that the early struggles in camp have been worked out and that 2 of the best linemen are the tackles as that is one of the hardest positions.