Opinion

Readers forum: Romney's contributions

Comments

• Screwdriver Casa Grande, AZ
    Aug. 24, 2011 10:39 p.m.

We did punish Hillary for stupid attacks - that's why she isn't president.

How did Obama become president? The other choices were way worse, especially on the conservative side.

• KM Cedar Hills, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 9:33 p.m.

real maverick

Are you John McCain?

Also, I thought is was that liberals liberal, Hillary Clinton, that questioned Obamas birth certificate? Why don't you go after her?

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 9:15 p.m.

Except if your running for President and file taxes. The evangelical tea party is rallying behind the Texan.

• Ultra Bob Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 8:48 p.m.

VST | 11:34 a.m. Aug. 24, 2011

So far as I could find, there is no provision, proposal, or hint of governmental subdivisions based upon private corporations in the Constitution or other founding documents. Nor have I ever heard of any provision in any corporate charter where the stockholders surrender their voting rights as citizens of the United States to the directors of the private corporation.

The future may hold such a condition where private corporations are sub divisions of a national government, sort of like the state governments of today, but I hope not.

I think corporations are more like fascistic dictatorships, rather than capitalism or socialism.

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 7:42 p.m.

Its funny how the DN hasn't reported about Romney's job creation program i.e. hiring people to expand the size of his house in Cali.

His palatial estate in Summit County isn't good enough?

Personally, I am indifferent to how much Mitt donated, how it got, or who relased it.

@ RedShirt | 9:50 a.m. Aug. 24, 2011

That is really patronizing, but, am not surprised.

• Brother Chuck Schroeder A Tropical Paradise USA, FL
    Aug. 24, 2011 7:36 p.m.

@ Redshirt1701 4:25 p.m. Deep Space 9, Ut
    To "Brother Chuck Schroeder, Maybe next time you will read your Bible before ranting.

Reply: Here's your answer. Christ organized the Church (Eph 4:11-14)
    The true church must bear the name of Jesus Christ (Eph 5:23)
    The true church must have a foundation of Apostles and Prophets (Eph 2:19-20)
    The true church must have the same organization as Christ's Church (Eph 4:11-14)
    The true church must claim divine authority (Heb 5:4-10)
    The true church must have no paid ministry (1 Cor 9:16-18; Acts 20:33-34; John 10:11-13)
    The true church must baptise by immersion (Matt 3:13-16)
    The true church must bestow the gift of the Holy Ghost by the laying on of hands (Acts 8:14-17)
    The true church must practice divine healing (Mark 3:14-15)
    The true church must teach that God and Jesus are seperate and distinct individuals (John 17:11; 20:17)
    The true church must teach that God and Jesus have bodies of flesh and bone (Luke 23:36-39; Acts 1:9-11; Heb 1:1-3)

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 6:55 p.m.

Gots ta pay for the mall somehow.

• KM Cedar Hills, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 5:08 p.m.

Good point Orvil, how was that information ever made public? I would never want others to know how much I give in charity, its not their business and it ruins the whole idea of giving for the sake of giving? That being said...it is interesting to see how miserly the liberals are when it comes to charitable giving. They somehow in their demented minds think that confiscating someone elses wealth and redistributing it to others that THEY think are more deserving is charitable giving.

• Redshirt1701 Deep Space 9, Ut
    Aug. 24, 2011 4:25 p.m.

To "Brother Chuck Schroeder | 12:00 p.m." I am sorry that we don't have the financial records of the church during Christ's time, but we do know that they did collect money. However, we do know that they did collect money. If you recall your bible study, you would remember that Judas (who betrayed Jesus) also carried the money for them.

You will also recall that when Jesus's feet were washed with the expensive oil that Judas thought that the oil should have been sold, and the proceeds given to the poor.

Maybe next time you will read your Bible before ranting.

• Brother Chuck Schroeder A Tropical Paradise USA, FL
    Aug. 24, 2011 12:00 p.m.

"I NOW QUOTE", "Mitt Romney gave the LDS Church a million dollars. Someone made a big mistake by giving that information to the media. There are many people who give large sums of money to all churches. These contributions are made confidentially. The donors don't want this information given to the public. All churches need money donated to them or they could not exist".

No they don't.

Church in in YOUR HEART only.

Read "the 17 points to a true Church", (google it).

How much monies did Jesus Christ take in, IN "His" Church?.

Or next you'll try to tell me, that knows better, "perhaps he did not get the ok from a "Apologist" with Shaken Faith Syndrome By Michael R. Ash from FAIR, who is a Mormon apologist?. I have not seen Mike Ash that is the owner and operator of the MormonFortress dot com website and has spoken of this yet. He is always a blend of historical, social, and philosophical commentary related to religious studies like this."

Romney gave those bucks as a tax write off only. Plus for "free" PR and other hyperboil hogwash.

Question is, where did "HE" get it from?.

My views.

• Anti Bush-Obama Washington, DC
    Aug. 24, 2011 10:49 a.m.

Romney, just like Obama, you are a wolf in sheeps clothing. You want to expand the wars and start new ones. dupe us into paying a global carbon tax in order to "prevent" global warming. Yeah, making Al Gore super rich will cause the earth to cool. How dumb can people be? Classic neocon/neolib.

• JoeBlow Miami Area, Fl
    Aug. 24, 2011 10:29 a.m.

How much Mr Romney did or did not give the charity is not worth discussing.

Again folks, ask yourself if these kinds of issues are really important to our country.

Just like Obamas vacation.

Petty petty little issues. How about we all stick to what is important.

• Ultra Bob Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 10:18 a.m.

It's true, Corporations are made up of people, but

1. Many of those people are employees, who have no say at all in the operation, policies or politics of the corporation.

2. In the international corporations, many are not even Americans.

3. Many are stockholders who give away their votes to others through the proxy process. And the stockholders vote is weighed in terms of number of shares, not as individuals. And some are not American.

4. The non-executive management are in the same boat as ordinary employees.

5. So the board of directors and the executive management, sometimes just the CEO, are the only ones who speak for the corporation.

So why should such a tiny minority with control over vast sums of money, not necessarily their own, be able to influence the government that is supposed to belong to people?

• RedShirt USS Enterprise, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 9:50 a.m.

To "LDS Liberal | 9:06 a.m." let me explain how tithing works. For example, if I earn $1 million dollars in a year, yet have a net worth of $10 billion, I pay on my increase or the money that I earn. In this case I would pay a tithe on the $1 million that I earned, which means that I pay $100,000. My net worth is now $10,000,900,000.

Are you sure that you are LDS? You don't seem to understand this basic principal.

• Brother Chuck Schroeder A Tropical Paradise USA, FL
    Aug. 24, 2011 9:15 a.m.

I first quote: "Mitt Romney gave the LDS Church a million dollars. There are many people who give large sums of money to all LDS churches. These contributions are made confidentially". But not when you use that as a "TAX" write-off." Then it's open public knowledge. One more thing. Mitt Romney thinks he is "The White Horse Prophecy" also. Does that buy him a "bus ticket" into Heaven?. "NOPE". Have a nice day now, I know I will.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 9:06 a.m.

Screwdriver | 8:43 a.m. Aug. 24, 2011
    Casa Grande, AZ
    Thanks for telling me, I hadn't heard that, chuckle.

To tell you the truth it sounds a little low to me for someone that is worth 250 million dollars.

==============

Agreed!

"a million dollars" of $250 million hardly sounds like a full 10% to me.

• Screwdriver Casa Grande, AZ
    Aug. 24, 2011 8:43 a.m.

Thanks for telling me, I hadn't heard that, chuckle.

His investments must not be doing too well for a "business genius". If that represents tithing it means his investments are making a paltry 4% or less.

• The Real Maverick Orem, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 8:14 a.m.

After the right demanded that Obama release his birth certificate... Twice... Now all of a sudden they're concerned over privacy???

• Brett Marietta, GA
    Aug. 24, 2011 6:51 a.m.

Didn't they just come from his tax returns, which all presidential candidates are required to be disclosed?

• George Bronx, NY
    Aug. 24, 2011 6:30 a.m.

If you make a donation and claim it on your taxes, it becomes visible to the public when (and if) you release your tax information to the public.

If you want to stay private, don't run for public office.

In case you missed it, charitable contribution amounts (along with a whole heck of a lot of other "personal" information) have been released for several of the presidential contenders, the current President, past Presidents, and many, many others.

When Romney chose to run for office, he knew what was required. If he didn't want the information given out, he would have stayed a private citizen.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 6:22 a.m.

So what? Why would Romney want to hide it like he tried to hide the "anonymous" million dollar political donation from a shell corporation owned by one of his business partners? Is Romney making a stink over the donation to the Church, or is it just you?

• Curmudgeon Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 5:33 a.m.

If Mr. Wilson is so concerned about confidentiality of donations, why does he rebroadcast this information in a public forum?

• BYR Woods Cross, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 1:00 a.m.

If I understand correctly (and I may not), the disclosure was given on his tax return, which he reported as part of his campaign. If anyone is to be blamed for disclosing his contributions, it would be Romney himself.