Sports

BYU football: Cougars' starting cornerback spots must still be sorted out

Comments

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    Aug. 24, 2011 12:26 a.m.

@Chewbacca

Starfarer said: "BYU fans watch BYU play because it's BYU."

I couldn't agree more.

I find it ironic that you're coming on here trying to rain on BYU fans' parade because of the perceived "weak" teams on our home schedule this year.

Apparently, Utah fans are more concerned about the "big-name" opponents they'll play at home than they are about supporting/watching their own team!

Hilarious!

BYU fans go to BYU home games to watch BYU play. I'll guarantee you we have 60,000+ fans at each of those home games we play.

If you're really concerned about our schedule, just check out 2013: home games vs Texas, BSU, Georgia Tech and Utah, away against Notre Dame, Houston and Hawai'i. And who knows who else will be on the slate?

Go Cougars!

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    Aug. 23, 2011 10:30 p.m.

"I'll spell it out for you Verita. Cougar fans love to brag about their bigger stadium. It looks like you have to give tickets away to try to fill it."

Chewbacca, did you know that the University of Utah and Utah State Universities give their students free tickets to the games? BYU student tickets cost the students $14 per game (the price might have even gone up from when I last checked). Who's the one having to give away tickets to fill up the stadium? And you'd think a smaller stadium would be easier to fill up!

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Aug. 23, 2011 7:13 p.m.

Chewbacca | 3:46 p.m. Aug. 23, 2011
    Magna, UT

Starfarer-

Just two points of clarification. I'm not claiminng any badge of honor. I'm simply discrediting a common cougar badge of honor.
    ===

You always promise to "spell it out", and make "points of clarification", and then just run-away and post the schedule. Tell me again Montana State University is?

I'll give you my points of clarification spelled out.

Tickets prices, like real estate are based upon quality of product, supply and demand and location, location, location.

We have your opinion on the quality of BYU home opponents (no one can argue what your personal opinion of quality is, but I have friends that grew up in Magna). BYU fans watch BYU play because it's BYU.

Now spell out or clarify for me how Utah giving away basketball tickets (ticket price=free) has anything to do with independence, or CB's?

• Starfarer Mesa, AZ
    Aug. 23, 2011 4:13 p.m.

Chewbacca

It is still funny that ESPN disagrees with you about which games are important enough to air on TV.

• riddlemethis Clearfield, UT
    Aug. 23, 2011 4:08 p.m.

We have heard ad nauseum from them on BYU articles about how slow and unathletic BYU's db's are. Most often an article about the BYU defense brings these commenters out of the woodwork. And even if the article is not about the defense Ute trolls will still try and weave it into their post.

Then finally when an article comes up talking about the DB situation we get primary song and golf clapping smack.

Either the ute fans are running out of talking points or Chewbacca didn't get cc'd on how to comment on a BYU article.

• Chewbacca Magna, UT
    Aug. 23, 2011 3:46 p.m.

Starfarer-

Did I mention UCF, Idaho State, Utah State, New Mexico State, San Jose State, and Idaho Community College? Gives me shivers.

• Starfarer Mesa, AZ
    Aug. 23, 2011 3:26 p.m.

Chewbacca

So your admitting that it is a slow day in sports, so you are trolling?

And your argument is that less ute fans paying more for their tickets is some kind of badge of honor? And that BYU's home schedule, in your onion is undesirable, so they will not sell as many tickets?

And then you justify trolling because football is king, your b-ball team is bad, and BYU fans keep rubbing it in your face that they are on TV more than u?

Did I get it all?

heewh, I'm sure glad you cleared that up for us.

Still don't know what that has to do with the article on CB's.

But we'll note it down and give you brownie points for carrying that grudge since the Majerus days.

• Chewbacca Magna, UT
    Aug. 23, 2011 3:11 p.m.

Mountainman56- "BYU averages over 18,000 more fans than Utah and that won't change, regardless of schedule."

No matter how pathetic the late season home stretch is. Did I mention UCF, Idaho State, Utah State, New Mexico State, San Jose State, and Idaho Community College. St Heaps stats will be off the charts!

Hey! At least you have primary songs and polite golf clapping to keep the kids occupied.

• Chewbacca Magna, UT
    Aug. 23, 2011 3:03 p.m.

I'll readily acknowledge that my posts are off topic. I'll readily acknowledge that my beloved Ute basketball team is in the dumpster. (Football is King as my byu friends liked to tell me when the Majerus lead Utes were ruling the WAC. It's even more true now than it was then, sadly.) It's a boring day on sports. So I'm here trolling.

Cougar trolls and rabid fans have taken up stadium smack and coverage smack as their bastions of defense in the current football landscape. So I am enjoying the irony of $4 tickets to a slew of lousy home games in LES.

• Mountainman56 Alpine, UT
    Aug. 23, 2011 2:36 p.m.

Chewy,

BYU sells as many season tickets as Utah's maximum capacity. BYU averages over 18,000 more fans than Utah and that won't change, regardless of schedule.

What does attendance and scheduling have to do with this article? I guess you were just looking for something to try to make you feel better about yourself. Pretty desperate!

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Aug. 23, 2011 2:29 p.m.

Chewbacca | 1:39 p.m. Aug. 23, 2011
    Magna, UT
    "I'll spell it out for you Verita. Cougar fans love to brag about their bigger stadium. It looks like you have to give tickets away to try to fill it. That's independence for you."
    ===
    Let me know when you spell it out, because I'm getting kinda bored waiting for ya to get there...

They were "trying" unsuccesfully to give Utah basketball tickets away at Gateway last year. That's not a "looks like" but a "had to".

If slamming BYU is saying "It looks like you will have to be as desperate as the UofU" is smack, that is disrespectful to Utah Athletics.

Does that desperation come from being a PAC-12 quality school? Or is it independence?

Not one poster mentioned the size of LES, or RES, or the MC, or the HC. Not one mentioned prices of seats until you did.

You spelled it out, and did not even begin to respond to you off topic post.

• Chewbacca Magna, UT
    Aug. 23, 2011 2:22 p.m.

That's interesting Jonny. Not that it's about the money. Right? But I do wonder how the total earnings per football game compare this year. I know my season tickets at RES went up about 25%. If the average price of tickets at RES was $30 the gross revenue would be about 1.35 mil. If the average price at LES was $20 the gross revenue would be about 1.3 mil. These are of course arbitrary numbers I am pulling out of my hat. I'm sure the average prices are higher than that.

• JonnyDanger HOUSTON, TX
    Aug. 23, 2011 2:00 p.m.

And if BYU sells out the dregs of LES at $4 a ticket that is almost $100,000 more than RES...

• Chewbacca Magna, UT
    Aug. 23, 2011 1:39 p.m.

I'll spell it out for you Verita. Cougar fans love to brag about their bigger stadium. It looks like you have to give tickets away to try to fill it. That's independence for you. UCF, Idaho State, Utah State, New Mexico State, San Jose State, and Idaho Community College. Woohoo! Let the primary songs and golf clapping begin!

• RepresentBlue West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 23, 2011 1:14 p.m.

The jury is still out on the secondary. Of the entire group only Corby Eason and Travis Uale have any D1 experience. The others are all either JuCo transfers or RM's, so we will have to wait to see how well they play. Fortunately, they shouldn't have to make too many big plays with the strength of the front seven this year. All the secondary has to do is keep their man in front of them and not give up the big plays.

• Bubble Boy Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 23, 2011 1:04 p.m.

Judging these defenders based off St Heaps stats, they're not very good. Porbably not D1 level talent.

• cougblood FARMINGTON, UT
    Aug. 23, 2011 11:36 a.m.

BYU DBs are usually assignment sound, were we have issues is in the area of speed and athleticism. This is what I believe is the big difference this year; it seems that these player are more athletic and are faster than our norm. Bronco has talked about recovery speed when a mistake is made, this year the DBs will be able to recover more quickly if they are beat and will still be assignment sound like always.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Aug. 23, 2011 10:23 a.m.

Chewbacca | 8:05 a.m. Aug. 23, 2011
    Magna, UT
    "On Stub hub the cheapest ticket for the Utah game is $94 dollars... Idaho and New Mexico State each going for $4 dollars."

===

In the upper endzone. Location, location, location...

And you can also find a ticket for Idaho at $129.

While Utah, playing in a smaller stadium, creating more demand by giving a more limited supply will allow you to see UCLA from $30 (Seat would be closer than from the nosebleeds at LES), and the Utes new rivals, Colorado from $36.

Utah at Arizona goes for $14, while you can catch Oregon at Arizona for $40.

So, what is your point?

(According to Movoto median home price in Magna is $114,000, and Fruit Heights is $354,900. I really find no point there either.)

What do any of those numbers have to do with CB's at BYU?

• JonnyDanger HOUSTON, TX
    Aug. 23, 2011 10:06 a.m.

Rational: THAT was funny... I hope the long side of the field is the one behind the defense!

• nottyou Riverton, UT
    Aug. 23, 2011 9:45 a.m.

On Stub Hub, you'll pay premium dollars to watch the Utes get pounded by the elite PAC12 schools. Next year, the price of tickets will drop as the stadium empties in direct proportion to the number of losses. LES will still be full, regardless of the W-L record.

• Mildred in Fillmore Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 23, 2011 9:16 a.m.

It won't matter who plays in our defensive backfield since our D-Line will have the quarterback on his back.

• ArticunoBYU Highland, UT
    Aug. 23, 2011 9:00 a.m.

@rational

gurney is a 5'3" midget. but a talented writer and loyal devoted BYU brother. he never played a down of football in his life. but that doesn't mean you have the right to go and trample his arguments. brandon is a voice of reason in an otherwise unstable world.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 23, 2011 8:49 a.m.

"The field corner plays on the long side of the field and subsequently requires the position to cover a lot more space, oftentimes in man-on-man coverage."

I think you mean the wide side. (Ever play football?) We hope the long side is the side between the football and the goal line on the defensive side of the ball.

• Chewbacca Magna, UT
    Aug. 23, 2011 8:05 a.m.

On Stub hub the cheapest ticket for the Utah game is $94 dollars. You can get tickets to the remaining six games for a combined total of $48 dollars. With Utah State coming in at the second most expensive ticket and a staggering $17 dollars and ISU, Idaho and New Mexico State each going for $4 dollars.

Sounds like you've got some real barn burners planned down there.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Aug. 23, 2011 7:24 a.m.

Something tells me the back-ups will get plenty of playing time in the hot, sweltering heat of Mississippi and Texas. Thank goodness for depth.

• Chickenhunter Provo, Ut
    Aug. 23, 2011 5:33 a.m.

What's the old saying? If you have two CBs, you don't have one? Ought oh. We better get one.

• idaho cougar fan Twin Falls, ID
    Aug. 23, 2011 12:55 a.m.

Last years group of DB's were a solid group (that is saying something at BYU). The front 7 is so stacked that the DB's just have to limit big plays. If they are just as good as last year, the defense will be pretty good again. If they are better than last year, then everybody should watch out.

• cougarNV Las Vegas, NV
    Aug. 23, 2011 12:44 a.m.

If the Defensive backs for the Cougars are as good as they are built up to be in this article, then it will be a very good year for the Cougs!

Not saying it's not accurate in it's report, but as a long time Fan, having witnessed the secondary consistently be a weak spot, my optimism for a great secondary will be reserved until after the season starts.

But please let it be as good as reported!

Go Cougs!