Sports

John Beck leads Redskins past Indianapolis 16-3

Comments

• factcheck Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 21, 2011 5:21 p.m.

Max is no where near the worst QB to ever take a snap in the NFL. I am not sure who that is, but it is not Max. Whoever it is took 1 more snap than Brian Johnson did.

btw. Max 2, Utes 1. Scoreboard.

• carver Enterprise, UT
    Aug. 21, 2011 10:05 a.m.

People will continue to make comments on here that have no knowledge of the game. Mark it down!

• BluCoug Provo, UT
    Aug. 20, 2011 10:51 p.m.

@ mgr63

Why don't you compare apple to apples here dude? We saw what you posted about Max's first year stats. So let's compare Alex Smith first year in 2005.

1 TD 11 Int 9 fumbles 29 sacks with a rating of 40.8

Kind of funny how you take Young's first 2 years and Hall's one season and you try to compare it to Smith's first six seasons in the NFL.

Why don't you compare Steve Young's first 6 season in the NFL to Alex Smith's first 6 seasons?

Young > Smith no comparison there and that's a fact.

BTW Smith might have been a great QB in crimson and Mel Kiper's eyes, but he is a LESS then average QB in the NFL world.

Max is doing just fine with the Cards, guess you missed his come from behind victory, kind of reminded me how he did that to the utes in 2007 and 2009.

• 49er Fan Provo, UT
    Aug. 20, 2011 10:23 p.m.

mgr63

Really? I can think of plenty of HORRIBLE QB's to take a snap in the NFL, Especially a former number 1 overall pick (The turn over king!) in 2005. This 49er fan will be happy to see that QB's licence plate leave the 49ers Headquarters permanently!

• mgr63 DALLAS, TX
    Aug. 20, 2011 6:07 p.m.

OK folks, I was reviewing some stats.....y'all remember when Steve Young came into the NFL after torching everybody in the old USFL? Well, Young, a really fine player/person in my opinion, played his first two seasons with the lowly TB Bucs and threw 11 TDs -21 picks-PR 61.2. So far in Alex Smith's career he has 51 TDs-53 picks-PR 72.1. And then there is Max Hall. HAHAHAHA! His dubious, short lived NFL career, soon to end thank goodness, has played 3 games. 1 TD-6 picks-5 fumbles- 15 sacks- PR 35.7. Thanks for coming Max and I'll miss all the blind side shots you took because you have the worst pocket awareness of anybody to ever play football. And by the way, my fave BYU player to ever suit up Jimmy Mac had a career passer rating of 78.2 and has two rings to boot. U Y fans should stop dissing Alex Smith, a great QB, because he absolutely destroyed the lowly Cougs when he played for Utah. Let me know how Max Hall is doing working at the Orem Walmart with "STUD" Jan Jorgensen this fall. Cheers!

• Duh west jordan, ut
    Aug. 20, 2011 5:06 p.m.

Muck smuch, it's a preseason game. Means nothing.

• mgr63 DALLAS, TX
    Aug. 20, 2011 4:09 p.m.

@Riddle,

Ty Detmer held a clipboard his entire NFL Career. I'm talking about a legit starter, like Young, Wilson, Jimmy Mac, Scott Mitchell, Alex Smith. And by the way, the SF 49ers have the #32 ranked O-line in the NFL, the worst. Smith has had some great games in the NFL if he gets just an ounce of protection. Max Hall won't be in a NFL uniform in less than two weeks. He is awful........probably the worst QB to ever take a snap in the NFL. Cheers!

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Aug. 20, 2011 12:29 p.m.

Ouch, my Colts get hammered. Yay for Beck!

• ItrustNo1 La Grange, TN
    Aug. 20, 2011 11:28 a.m.

Guys,
    Be nice....Our boys Alex and John are up to bat and need our support. Their Utah / BYU wars are over now. They gave us some exciting games to watch. Games that allowed us to be foolish and brain dead. Now lets enjoy what our guys are accomplishing, all of them!!

• GoodGuyGary Houston, TX
    Aug. 20, 2011 8:38 a.m.

Alex Smith, the #1 pick, had started so many games in NFL already, and we know how it turn out, no one can deny that he is a failure.

• riddlemethis Clearfield, UT
    Aug. 20, 2011 8:24 a.m.

MGR 63:

Ty Detmer played and started in the NFL more recently than Steve Young. He also won a Heisman trophy. Something no one from Utah has ever done.

Max Hall getting hammered and throwing picks: yeah that might have BEEN fun. But watching #1 overall draft pick Alex Smith get hammered and throw picks still IS fun.

As you like to say,

Cheers!

• Mountainman56 Alpine, UT
    Aug. 20, 2011 8:01 a.m.

Mgr63

Thanks for another classless comment. I knew we could count on you. In your case, Max definitely was right!

• JMT Springville, UT
    Aug. 20, 2011 5:30 a.m.

Last time I made a prediction it was that Austin Collie would be a total bust. I was 100% wrong on that so I took my meager football prediction skills and simple watch.

I am really happy for Beck and hope he does well. Alex Smith for that matter. How is Max Hall doing? No news is not good news. A Utah qb is playing for the Titans as well. I hope he gets a shot at being the 3rd string as Hasselback and Jake Locker have the top two spots taken.

Any other Utah or BYU quarterback playing that I missed?

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    Aug. 20, 2011 2:19 a.m.

Go Beck!

• mgr63 DALLAS, TX
    Aug. 20, 2011 1:20 a.m.

Wow! A BYU quarterback may start for an NFL team again? Not since Steve Young many moons ago. BYU fans have something to cheer about.......FINALLY! I'm kinda bummed out that Max Hall will be released from Arizona soon. It was too much fun watching him getting absolutely hammered and throwing picks.

• GoodGuyGary Houston, TX
    Aug. 20, 2011 12:42 a.m.

'Now, Who was it that said to "Mark it Down"? "John Beck will never play in the NFL."'

What is Mr. Chris B?

• 93 COUGAR Orem, UT
    Aug. 20, 2011 12:28 a.m.

I love when that guy says, "Mark it down"!

He has been proven wrong every time I have seen that written.

Go Cougars!

• AK Cougar Palmer, AK
    Aug. 19, 2011 11:14 p.m.

Way to go John.

I guess that prediction did not come to pass.

• Utah Girl Vernal, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 10:48 p.m.

Good job, John. Of course, McMahon and Steve Young from BYU did well as quarterbacks. A few others have had decent careers, too, although not at the same level. The best to both John and Alex.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    Aug. 19, 2011 10:15 p.m.

No one on ESPN radio has anything nice to say about Alex Smith or John Beck. Hopefully, both prove the naysayers incorrect. But if not, at least they got their chances.

Good luck!

• Laser Iowa City, IA
    Aug. 19, 2011 10:00 p.m.

Nice job Beck!

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 10:00 p.m.

@Tmung99

Agreed!

• TMung99 Bluffdale, Utah
    Aug. 19, 2011 9:19 p.m.

Veritas Aequitas | 9:05 p.m. Aug. 19, 2011
    Fruit Heights, UT

===

===

I am a die hard 49er fan... believe me when I say I want to see Alex succeed just as much as the die hard Ute fan :)

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 9:05 p.m.

TMung99 | 8:31 p.m. Aug. 19, 2011
    Bluffdale, Utah

Hey Alex....

You should be taking tips
    ===

Wishing them both the best. I can't remember the last time a former BYU and Utah QB were solid in the NFL.

• TMung99 Bluffdale, Utah