Sports

BYU, WSU football: Cougars to host Weber State in 2012

Comments

• Jenny83 OGDEN, UT
    Aug. 21, 2011 11:03 p.m.

Byu's home schedule this year is : UCF
    Utah State = 3rd worst WAC team last year
    San Jose State = Record last year was 1-11 (WAC)
    Idaho State = Record last year was 1-10 (Big Sky)
    Idaho = Record last year was 6-7 (WAC)
    San Jose State = 1-12 (WAC)

Pathetic!

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    Aug. 21, 2011 2:41 p.m.

re: fan32 | 11:25 p.m. Aug. 19, 2011

I recall attending a few games @ LES back in the day. If it was a close game (in the 4th) against a quality opponent; fans would leave.

However, the stadium would still be packed if byu were up 52-6 against Western Nebraska A & I or the like.

• mgr63 DALLAS, TX
    Aug. 21, 2011 5:49 a.m.

@Jeff29,

Hardly "misinformation" my friend. I've travelled all over the world, all 50 states and lived in the south for 15 years. It is brutal what people say, some of which is false, but the impression is always negative. I've even read hundreds of comments on PAC-12 boards about now that Utah is in......"the "Mormons are coming!" It was hardly positive. But, the more people that associate with the U they'll find out that that stigma is false. The "predominant religion" is what it is, and most certainly not your very narrow perception of how you "think" it is viewed. However, the U of U will represent itself admirably as it always has in a myriad of ways. Many sports fans are very impressed with what the U has done in BCS bowls recently and are looking forward to seeing how Utah fares in the big time now that we are in the PAC-12.If scheduling Weber St is what is in the cards for BYU......well.....all I can say is great and BYU deserves what it asked for by going independent..... relative obscurity for many years to come. I wish BYU luck however.

• Jeff29 Cedar City, UT
    Aug. 20, 2011 8:51 p.m.

@mgr63,

Misinformation laced with thinly veiled bigotry. Well done.

Do a little homework on "learning" institutions, the history of the BCS and the events that led to the inclusion of non-BSC schools, and the image of Utah through a lens that does not include your dislike of the predominant religion.

• mgr63 DALLAS, TX
    Aug. 20, 2011 7:21 p.m.

@Jeff29,

The only thing that BYU has done for the U is provide a national negative stereotype of what the U is. Utah is a mainstream, highly respected learning institution, unlike BYU. You Y fans should thank the U for their great BCS bowl games they won and now are really going to make SLC and Utah something other than what people always assumed it was........a really weird place with great ski slopes. Those days are over! Thousands of PAC-12 fans are going to be tailgating with the "FUN" Ute fans, participating in respectful banter and enjoying the spirited competition. I can tell you this though........people don't go to Orem/Provo for much of anything other than to stop at a gas station as they pass by. In the 33 years I lived there(SLC)......that is what I did.

• mgr63 DALLAS, TX
    Aug. 20, 2011 6:47 p.m.

I sure hope that Ron McBride and the Weber St. squad "Jimmers" the Y in 2012.

• Jeff29 Cedar City, UT
    Aug. 20, 2011 2:39 p.m.

One of BYU's "flaws" is that they try to promote and assist other local schools.

Kind of like when they were front-runners for an invitation to the Big 12 back in the 90's but did not pursue it because they did not want to leave Utah behind. (just one of many examples of how BYU helped enable Utah's current successes)

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 20, 2011 1:37 p.m.

2012 Home schedules (season tickets, anyone?)

BYU - Oregon State, Weber State, Utah State, Hawaii, Idaho, and one more to be added.

Utah - Arizona, USC, Washington State, BYU, Utah State, and California

NUFF SAID.

Although it should be pointed out BYU's away schedule includes Utah, Boise State, Georgia Tech, Notre Dame, offset by New Mexico State and San Jose State.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Aug. 20, 2011 12:26 p.m.

Well, there will be plenty said about this match up for 2012, but I hope it does not become a trend in 2013 and beyond.

I would guess that this is another short term fix for 2012 due to the scheduling challenges of getting independence rolling.

Definitely a nice pickup for Weber, BYU not so much.

• AZ_True_Blue Gilbert, AZ
    Aug. 20, 2011 10:59 a.m.

Ladies and Gentlemen...your one game on BYUtv in 2012.

ESPN will pick up the rest. Also, every SEC team does this exact same thing. I would prefer this happens only in years we travel to Hawaii and have an extra home game to schedule.

• Wildcat O-town, UT
    Aug. 20, 2011 10:38 a.m.

If Weber State is too lowly for BYU fans to see, we would be glad to host the Cougars up in Ogden. :-)

• Wildcat O-town, UT
    Aug. 20, 2011 10:36 a.m.

Settle down Cougar fans. Most every FBS team has one or two FCS teams on the schedule each year. Remember when I said that independence would mean more games like this? This is great news! It's a total win for Weber State. It's a big pay day and it saves on travel expenses. It's also a big plus for BYU fans, you get to see an exceptionally classy University, and don't be surprised when they give you a good game. Lest we forget they played Utah at Rice Eccles to a 37-21 game in 2008, which could have been even closer except for a few breaks while BYU lost to the Sugar Bowl champions 42-24 that year. There is no quit in these Cats! GO WILDCATS! BEAT BYU!!!

• Mountainman56 Alpine, UT
    Aug. 20, 2011 10:25 a.m.

I think this game is mostly about filling a spot in the schedule with very few options available at this late date. I also think it's about Ron McBride and helping his program get a high caliber game on their schedule. I will say that since the last two announcements about future games have been USU and Weber St., I am getting anxious for some announcements about Penn St., Wisconsin, Nebraska or some of the other top tier programs that we've been hearing about.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    Aug. 20, 2011 10:01 a.m.

I don't see a very good fit to this game being scheduled...where was ESPN when this decision was made...In Texas??? I'm not liking this at all. It doesn't make sense...even a MWC or WAC team makes a lot more sense. I'd have to stand with the utey's on this one.

• BYUHSeasiders Taylorsville, UT
    Aug. 20, 2011 7:29 a.m.

@mgr63 & other trolls
    I could dispute your claim, but why throw pearls before the swine.

• CFBFan COLORADO SPRINGS, CO
    Aug. 20, 2011 7:11 a.m.

After several weeks of fall camp, these comments are all starting to read as the same old drivel. I cant wait until the season starts, then this baseless chest-thumping will hopefully end. Heres to hoping both teams have awesome seasons and that the teams show a higher level of sportsmanship evident in most of the posts Ive read lately.

• IndianaCoug Bloomington, IN
    Aug. 20, 2011 6:58 a.m.

RE: mgr63

I don't understand comments like "Utah has only 1 1/2 worthless games this year-Montana St. and BYU. And the rest are all against BCS schools."

By this logic (that any school not in the BCS is "worthless") Utah is and always has been worthless, as they have still yet to play a game as a BCS school. No objective fan would say that BYU is a poorer program right now than Washington State, UCLA, etc. I would love to see you and the other trolls make some sort of commitment, like Chris B. did when he said he would get off the comment boards if BYU wins their first four this year. I'm willing to get off the Ute boards if they lose... oh wait, I don't read Utah articles because I'm not a fan.

Go Cougs!

• mgr63 DALLAS, TX
    Aug. 20, 2011 5:53 a.m.

@BYUUHSeasiders,

All big time schools have 1 cupcake game for sure.........not 6 like BYU. The Y did get dissed, as no BCS conference gave them the time of day AT ALL. I feel for all the Y season ticket holders. Their home game schedule is appalling. I say, BYU needs to be independent, because they certainly weren't invited to the big time like the Utes. And, by the way, Utah has only 1 1/2 worthless games this year-Montana St. and BYU. And the rest are all against BCS schools.

• mgr63 DALLAS, TX
    Aug. 20, 2011 1:49 a.m.

I think it is great! Watch Ron McBride go in and beat BYU. Bronco will forget to motivate his team AGAIN like last year at USU........one of the best whoopings I've seen in an awful long time. For all you BYU fans.......another great game to attend, like your schedule this year. I would be willing to bet that many Y fans will tire quickly watching the likes of NMSU nearly every home game. Other than Utah and UCF the BYU home schedule offers very little entertainment value. I wonder how ESPN will view the deal with BYU at the end of the season? The ratings will not be that good..... that is a given.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    Aug. 20, 2011 12:56 a.m.

I saw that 1979 game on my 1st year at BYU as a student and never heard of Weber State. Why play them again but in September? BYU should schedule bigger opponent team in September and put lesser one during the later time.

• BYUHSeasiders Taylorsville, UT
    Aug. 20, 2011 12:27 a.m.

To all those haters dissing on BYU for scheduling lower division teams, you can diss on all the other big name teams, too. Almost every div 1A team schedules lower division teams every year, such App St @ Michigan and who won that game. Utah has their fair share of these teams Mont St this year. Div 1A teams "grant" lower division teams these games to fill their coffers.

• fan32 St. George, Utah
    Aug. 19, 2011 11:41 p.m.

Ak cougar sounds like he would buy those expensive home tickets to watch anybody. Maybe in 2013 Holmoe could schedule Southern Utah and the Colorado School of Mines.

• AK Cougar Palmer, AK
    Aug. 19, 2011 11:26 p.m.

Who else was available to play BYU in LES? I suspect just about no one. out of conference schedules are filled already. A lower division team was bound ot come on the schedule somewhere. Welcome to LES Weber State.

Go Cougars.

• fan32 St. George, Utah
    Aug. 19, 2011 11:25 p.m.

Thanks to Tom Holmoe for really looking after the loyal home season ticket holders. Maybe it is time for independence to end before there are no more season ticket holders.

• PAC12Fan South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 11:15 p.m.

I'm certain the season ticket holders can't wait. All the fence sitters can come over to the red side to see good teams each year.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    Aug. 19, 2011 11:07 p.m.

Laser | 10:00 p.m. Aug. 19, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    "I guess if utah can play weber in 08 on the way to a bcs game, what's wrong with the cougs playing them as an indy? Shouldn't be too many utes trash talking this match up."

Your first sentence: Agreed. Though one could argue that had Utah played a BCS conference team instead of Weber, and won, they would have been considered higher in the BCS ranks. IMO, unless they had beaten a top-10 team instead of Weber, nothing would have changed---they'd have still be in the Sugar, not the NC. Alas, we'll never know. What it means: Non-AQ teams can reach BCS bowls despite scheduling an FCS team.

Your second sentence: patially agreed. However, it appears that more Y fans than U fans are disrespecting this 2012 match-up. Ex: Pipes, flatlander, flynn, striker. But I guess it's easier to blame the Ute fans since they're the "classless" ones...

Personally, I think this is a win-win for both schools, provided BYU has plenty of GATechs and NDs on the schedule too for the reasons discussed by Billy Budd. Plus, gotta love Ronnie Mac!

• Big Pappy west jordan, utah
    Aug. 19, 2011 11:06 p.m.

I predict Weber State 15 BYU 6...Hundred!!!!!!!!!

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 10:55 p.m.

Is this a conference game?

• flynn is the coolest Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 10:34 p.m.

Not only is this somewhat embarrassing, it's scheduled in Sept- according to FBscedule.com. September is pretty much the only time BYU can play anyone from the major conferences to make our wins worth something, so tell me, why are we playing low-end teams in Sept?

We need our schedules to be a little more top-heavy. I'm sorry Tom, but at the BYU media day, schedules were discussed, and you stated that these types of teams would be replaced with upper-end teams from some of the lower conferences like Conf. USA- not middle end FCS teams. The schedule is set for 6 good teams- OSU, Hawaii, Utah, GT, ND and BSU. We have 7 decent games slated for 2011. I hope 2012 is not a digressing year.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 10:12 p.m.

Sounds pretty evenly matched.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 10:02 p.m.

Who wants to see that? Are they going to do what they are with the Ute game? Fans have to buy Weber tickets to get another game? What game? Boise St, Notre Dame, Utah, Georgia Tech are all on the road. I'm not sure who would pay for Weber State in order to see Utah State.

Home schedule of Utah State, Weber State, Oregon State, Hawaii. One game worth seeing.

• Laser Iowa City, IA
    Aug. 19, 2011 10:00 p.m.

• Billy Budd Saint George, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 9:53 p.m.

BYU/Weber St. is a great deal for both schools.

Pay day for Weber.

Easy win for BYU.

• MidMajor4ever Syracuse, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 9:45 p.m.

@ slc byu fan:

Perhaps you are unaware of members of the Big Sky conference. Your current 2011 schedule has Idaho State, projected to finish last in the Big Sky.

• flatlander Omaha, NE
    Aug. 19, 2011 9:37 p.m.

Well so this is what going independent means. With Idaho state, Idaho, weber state, Utah state on the schedule they won,t get any strength of schedule points, won,t get many who will want to watch their games so they will need their own network. Before going independent they would not have even answered the phone if weber state called and now BYU is calling them

• crowntown1 Corona, CA
    Aug. 19, 2011 9:18 p.m.

Indy silll be your downfall

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 9:18 p.m.

As a BYU fan, this is kind of embarrassing!

• Striker Omaha, NE
    Aug. 19, 2011 9:02 p.m.

Booo! Who cares if they are in-state. Scheduling these lower division teams has got to stop. Playing USU is bad enough, and now BYU has to add Weber? There is nothing to gain and everything to lose by playing teams like these. Schedule Ohio or someone, but do we need to go down another level to fill game slots?

Weber will likely beat USU this year.

• SU Wildcat St. George, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 8:58 p.m.

Kind of like BYU scheduling Idaho State on the onset of joining, uh, um, oh yeah that's right.

If BYU and Utah are going to schedule Big Sky schools, keep it in-state. I applaud BYU for taking that step. Now with SUU joining the BSC next year, there are two scheduling options for Utah, BYU and USU to stir up interest in in-state football.

• soundofreason south jordan, ut
    Aug. 19, 2011 8:52 p.m.

kamute:
    why are you commenting on a byu scheduling article? Have a complex?

• KamUte South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 8:49 p.m.

SLC y fan. Why are you defending the schedule? Have a complex?

• RantBully Bend, OR
    Aug. 19, 2011 8:43 p.m.

Unfortunately, this is a not a great match up.

• SLC BYU Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 8:06 p.m.

Kind of like Utah scheduling Montana State at the onset of joining the Pac-12? Rumors are irculating the Big 12 will make a move on inviting BYU now for 2012 since Texas A&M is bent on going SEC after this academic year.

But like many, I don't like the idea of dropping down to FCS for punching bag games.