Sports

BYU football: Bronco Mendenhall confirms BYU pulled Drew Phillips' scholarship

Comments

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    Aug. 21, 2011 5:03 p.m.

Looks like an example of a kid who was told all his life how good he was, and he apparently was good, and decided he didn't have to work to improve. Like others have to. Good luck to him. He'll most likely end up at a Jr College somewhere. Hope he gets past that.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 21, 2011 3:08 a.m.

@clerkkent
    "Do these young kids sign some sort of waiver which allows BYU to publicly discuss their booting?"

Uhhh...did you read the article? BYU announced to him and his family privately last spring that his scholarship wouldn't be renewed. This has been a fact that BYU kept quiet all summer long and when BYU coaches were asked during media day about Drew Phillips they said he would be able to practice starting August 29th.

When he made it public in his Twitter post there went any privacy issues regarding BYU. Actually Bronco and staff have been commendable in the way they've respected Drew's privacy in this. Also, I'll wager if we learn any more about this it will be from Drew or people close to him and not from anyone on the coaching staff or connected with BYU.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Aug. 20, 2011 8:58 p.m.

Good luck to Drew Phillips. Everyone wishes him the best. As for me, I had greatly anticipated his presence on the football field and wanted to witness his great athletic ability in a BYU uniform. I would like Drew to consider returning to BYU. It is definitely not too late, and he is not too old by any stretch.

• rnoble Pendleton, OR
    Aug. 20, 2011 4:09 p.m.

i wish the media would have discussed his eligibility issues---can he immediately move to a division 1 without losing a year?---has he been working on where he would like to go if not returning to byu?---does he have other football connections that might influence his next decisions?---will he sign up for the supplemental draft?---is a scholarship offer the only way he can afford to attend college?---will byu release him so he can move on without penalty?---

lots of questions the answers to which i would find more interesting than rehashing why he lost his scholarship---

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Aug. 20, 2011 10:59 a.m.

@MyCoug2011
    My original post was mostly in reply to another article where un-informed posters were pointing a finger at Bronco and claiming he was trying to clear another scholarship. From what I hear, the coaches and the players love Drew and want him on the team. I was in no way insinuating Drew had violated the HC, only that it sounds like it was his "lack of effort" in some area(s) that caused this. I personally was really looking forward to seeing him play for BYU and hold out hope that the situation will change and he will be back at some time. BYU definitely is not for everyone but I believe anyone can have a great experience here.
    Good luck to Drew regardless of where he ends up. I hope he is able to finish his degree and find success and happiness.

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 20, 2011 9:59 a.m.

Sorry for the errors. That was "If Drew found..." I didn't proof read. My Bad. (And spelling errors too.)
    I want to add that I really liked Drew. He is a great kid and would have been a fan favorite if he could have been consistent in his adherence to team requirements. Don't vilify Coach Mendenhall either. There have been meetings often to make sure Drew understood the requirements, the policy and where he needed to perform at the expected standard. This was not a one time problem and it was not a case of lack of effort to keep Drew at the Y I am sure.
    As I was saying before the word count ran out: I hope Drew would come back, rise to his potential and meet the team expectations and be a valued member of the BYU team. Fans would love his sense of humor, his excellent football skills and his other talents. I wish he would reconsider. He just has to follow through. I thank his family for their support of Drew. He is a good young man and Y fans will miss him. This could be a turning point in Drew's growth.

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 20, 2011 9:31 a.m.

I appreciate Drew's family member trying to correct the wrong impression that it was academic or honor code related problems. Please look at the quote by Bronco very closely. It says, "Drew is someone that struggled in his time here at BYU, just kind of in team policy and consistency," This can mean in attending required meetings, class room attendance, team rules, effort in the weigth room, required classes, etc. If it is required classes for everyone attending and he just didn't follow through and was given opportunity to do so and didn't then it's not academic but "team policy" that he struggled with. Coach Mendenhall has always made it clear that BYU does not recruit atheletes to BYU by selling them the University but allows them to choose to be part of the Universities team as some one who wants to live to that standard, wants to be part of the team mission, and wants to be a step up. I Drew found he did not want to make that commitment that is his choice. He was not cut, cast off or thrown under a bus. He departs on his on choice and actions. I wish he would come.

• CaliforniaCougar Lake Elsinore, CA
    Aug. 20, 2011 8:39 a.m.

Personally, I am more curious in the Justin Sorensen situation. Sounds like the uprights were swaying and all fell to the goal line.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    Aug. 20, 2011 2:16 a.m.

I want him to come back. There are a lot of fans that hopes he comes back. He is a talented kid, that being said, he needs to do what is best for him. Flat out though, at BYU, you need to work hard. Maybe Drew has just been so blessed that he has never had to work hard to find success? I don't know. I will say that this one hurts a lot, and Drew you can still earn your way back and do good things for BYU. If he chooses a different direction, then I hope that it is best for him.

• Independence Is Bliss San Jose, CA
    Aug. 20, 2011 1:14 a.m.

Good luck to you, Drew. I think I can speak for all cougar fans when I say we were excited to see you on the field.

I think I can also speak for most cougar fans when I say there is no respect lost for Drew or his family. Sometimes things just don't work out. Anyone who commits to BYU in the first place is a friend of mine, whether they end up playing or not.

Here's hoping Drew can take the steps to get back with us. If not, good luck to him wherever he goes.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Aug. 19, 2011 11:52 p.m.

These players have a ton of tudors to help.

• Biddies PROVO, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 10:34 p.m.

There should be no blaming BYU for this one. A scholarship needs to be earned and that is throughout the student's schooling as a whole. Drew obviously was doing poorly to be put on "probation" in the first place and he obviously didn't pick it up in Spring and Summer semesters to merit the scholarship. I am sorry to hear that he will be leaving because I really thought he would have been a great addition to the team, but BYU needs players who are dedicated on the field and off the field.

• ClarkKent Bountiful, Utah
    Aug. 19, 2011 10:05 p.m.

I really do not understand why this stuff is publicly discussed by BYU and printed in the DN. This is not the same situation as last year where an athlete was pulled during the season. Do these young kids sign some sort of waiver which allows BYU to publicly discuss their booting? If they do, perhaps that waiver needs to be challenged if they are not represented by a lawyer that explains to them the ramifications of what they are signing.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 8:33 p.m.

@MyCoug2011
    "We do not like how Drew is being represented and we will learn from this. It is unfortunated how things have turned out but we will not have misguided information printed about Drew or our family. Drew was eligibe, Drew did not violate any HC rules."

Often players sit out parts of fall or spring camps to work on school.

The article had very few details and did no speculating on reasons. It didn't report that he was ineligible. It simply said, "Phillips has not been participating in fall camp due to academic reasons. Mendenhall said in July, during the school's national media day, that Phillips could rejoin the team on the first day of school, which is Aug. 29." On top of that most of the comments on message boards have been favorable and supportive.

Personally I was really looking forward to seeing him play and put his speed to good use running the ball, catching passes and returning kicks. This comes as a shock to all of us but it looks like it was made clear to the Phillips family back in the spring.

I hope he comes back but understand if he doesn't. Best Wishes.

• riddlemethis Clearfield, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 7:27 p.m.

Drew:

Good luck to you in your future football career.

• desert dweller SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 7:17 p.m.

not returning to BYU is a good move for Drew. ( well done )

• ike Grand Rapids, MI
    Aug. 19, 2011 7:08 p.m.

@Lonestar runner and anyone else who didn't hear what Mendenhall said

He never said Drew was academically ineligible and they pulled his scholarship. He said that after summer classes that Drew could pay his way for 1 year and then they would re-evaluate.

From afar it sounds like Drew understood that if he took the summer classes and did well, then he would be good to go. It doesn't sound like that is what the coaches meant.

I have no idea if that is the scenario. No reason to malign the kid. Good luck wherever you end up. We would love to have you back here.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    Aug. 19, 2011 6:37 p.m.

@MyCoug2001
    There was no mention of an honor code violation...thus no need to address an issue that doesn't exist. But I honestly would like to simply know how in your opinion... based on facts supposedly not being presented... is Drew academically eligible when the University is saying that he hasn't been since spring semester. Compounding that is also that Drew having had the summer to possibly earn his way back to academic eligibility apparently has not reached the level needed to reverse his eligibility. We're just simply asking you to enlighten us with your information. Nobody is trying to put Drew in a position of compromise. We'd love to have him back and eligible to play.

• LonestarRunner Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 5:36 p.m.

Drew's parents were sent a letter before summer informing them that he was going to lose his scholarship, but he could earn it back by completing a couple of class during the summer. Obviously he didn't.

Drew wasn't working in the classroom and, from all reports, he wasn't working that hard on the practice field either.

Too bad. He's a talented kid and he had a lot of potential, but it looks like he wasted a great opportunity, and he has only himself to blame.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Aug. 19, 2011 4:55 p.m.

@MyCoug2001:

Not knowing details, I'd like to see Drew pay his way for a year and return in a year. In the long run, it would provide the greatest growth.

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    Aug. 19, 2011 4:52 p.m.

I'm impressed with Chambers for sticking it out.

Too bad if Drew doesn't.

For now, it's another RB's opportunity.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Aug. 19, 2011 4:32 p.m.

CougarBlue

Please cut the whole family, friends and supporters of Drew some slack. Gifted young man and for whatever reason, this isn't working out the way anyone wanted, and it's just plain tough.

We don't need to know ANY side of the story, we just need to actively judge all involved the way we hope to be judged some day - with compassion, with concern, and with a hope and faith that a loving Father can turn all things to our good, including Drew.

• Randy01 Lees Summit, MO
    Aug. 19, 2011 4:27 p.m.

We should respect MyCoug2011's wishes. Drew and his family deserve both privacy and respect.

• flynn is the coolest Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 4:08 p.m.

Let's give it a rest people-especially Cougar Blue. No need to vilify those who feel Drew was slighted. The BYU coaching staff is not infallible. Whatever happened, it just didn't work out. Period. Don't go putting your nose where it doesn't belong. We all were excited to see Drew play. We all wanted to see him succeed on and off the field. We all still want that for him. End of story.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 3:54 p.m.

@MyCoug2001

Well I would certainly like to hear the otherside of the story if you are willing to tell it to us.

One of the things that is frustrating about BYU is that they never give out the details of situations like this and it is always left to speculation by the press, or the fans.

I know enough people at BYU that I could probably get a fairly good picture of their position but I would love to hear yours. I don't think we'll ever get anything decent from the fans of the media unless someone from your family does an interview.

So fill us in, let's hear it.

• fan in orem Orem, Utah
    Aug. 19, 2011 3:50 p.m.

My Coug 2011: We are sorry how this has worked out. I've got to tell you, though, that I don't think Drew has been thrown under the bus by this article. We KNOW there were no HC violations, and I knew a couple of months ago that he was not in academic trouble with the school. I assume other fans knew/know that as well. This is a time where we all just express our hope that things work out well for Drew, without trying to delve into details that are not any of our business. I for one, would love to have him play for BYU in the future. But if not, I wish him well wherever he goes from here.

• exmo4byu Kansas City, MO
    Aug. 19, 2011 3:48 p.m.

Best of luck to Drew. I hope he finds a great place to play where things are handled however they need to be handled to have it turn out better for both he and wherever he might end up. If that isn't nebulous, I don't know what is.

LOL

I just don't know what went down or how it went down and so I can't say much else, one thing is for sure, the real story is only known to those involved and I won't speculate. Good luck!

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 3:41 p.m.

MyCoug2011 let me get this straight. You know all the absolute truth am I correct. And how do you know the absolute 100% truth? How is this story one-sided. Either you are academically eligible or you are not. That is the bottom line. Drew was the one who tweeted and brought this out in the open. BYU was keeping silent about it trying to work with Drew. No where in the article or anything I have heard or read says anything about Drew violating the Honor Code, so there is no need for you to make that innuendo about what others think. I assume when you said about "Drew and our family," you are a relative. IF that is so is not your own statment hypocritical, because you are also one-sided as I read your comments. The only information coming out after Drew brought attention to himself is that he did not complete the necessary course work correctly to earn the grade to remain academically eligible. How is that one-sided.

• MyCoug2011 Boaz, AL
    Aug. 19, 2011 3:25 p.m.

I would just like to comment that I find it amazing how stories can be so one sided. I will not throw anyone under the bus but what is being reported is not the whole facts and those involved know what the truth is. We do not like how Drew is being represented and we will learn from this. It is unfortunated how things have turned out but we will not have misguided information printed about Drew or our family. Drew was eligibe, Drew did not violate any HC rules. Yes, Drew struggled with some things and had learned from it as do many young people who leave home for the first time. If you can print what you do in the newspaper then you can post my comment. This is freedom of speech afterall.

• Rikitikitavi Cardston, Alberta
    Aug. 19, 2011 2:59 p.m.

BYU has requirements in place in an attempt to avoid situations of this nature: scholarship recipients are required to enter with high academic standards. Statistics have shown that athletes with borderline academic standings have a high incidence of "problems"(academic and otherwise).

• JDL Magna, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 2:55 p.m.

I was really hopeful that Drew would be running for BYU. Good luck to you Drew, you are very talented and I hope you have a soft landing where ever it is.

• Madden Herriman, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 2:38 p.m.

Bummer for both sides - we wish him the best wherever he ends up.

• GJ Greenwood, IN
    Aug. 19, 2011 2:22 p.m.

Good luck Drew. Sorry things didn't work out better for you at BYU.

• WA_Alum&Dad Marysville, WA
    Aug. 19, 2011 2:09 p.m.

A tough deal all the way around. Here's hoping the haters show a little class and just move on by.

Best to you, Drew.

• PapaSmurf Rocklin, CA
    Aug. 19, 2011 1:49 p.m.

My father was involved in these situations back in the day. Each case is different and I doubt we will ever hear the whole story. Drew will say one thing and BYU will say nothing. I still remember one kid telling his hometown paper he got kicked out for having a beer in the fridge when a recruit was at his apartment. He left out the fact that he had gotten two local underage high school students pregnant and had felony assault charges. I just hope Drew finds a good place to land.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 1:48 p.m.

There you have it. This was entirely on Drew's shoulders and BYU / Bronco gave him every opportunity to remain at BYU. In fact, the door is still wide open if Drew wants to earn his way back. Those of you who speculated that this was somehow BYU or Bronco trying to force Drew out so his scholarship was available must feel pretty silly now. Those of you who mentioned that this was somehow discrimination are really..............