Sports

BYU football: Running back Drew Phillips says his scholarship was pulled

Comments

• mream Parker, CO
    Aug. 23, 2011 4:13 p.m.

Ms Molli: BYU didn't announce it. Drew tweeted it himself.

Bronco was just answering questions the reporters kept bugging him about.

When utes leave, they don't or can't tweet, and no one cares enough to ask the coaches.

• Ms Molli Bountiful, Utah
    Aug. 21, 2011 9:03 p.m.

So is this a common practice at BYU? When a scholarship is pulled they make a public announcement about it and then DN posts it in the paper? Seems kinda harsh to me. Glad my alma mater had more respect for its students than that.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 21, 2011 3:17 a.m.

@Randy01
    "Utah is not a community college by any definition"

oops, I guess I should've said "state college"? Thanks for making the distinction.

• Randy01 Lees Summit, MO
    Aug. 20, 2011 10:56 a.m.

So seriously, how did a thread of comments on whether or not a scholarship get pulled turn into an argument over whose attendance percentage was higher: BYU's or Utah's?

I have a suggestion, why do we all get our laser measurement devices and find out who has the greater distance between lines in the parking lot.

@BigCougar: Utah is not a community college by any definition. Aren't we as Latter-day Saints obligated to be honest and truthful?

@Chris B: You do not speak for me as a Ute fan.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    Aug. 19, 2011 7:12 p.m.

@FYI
    So breaking that down even further basically show's Utah's avg attendance for 2010 was 42,411 per game while BYU's 2010 avg attendance was only 61,337 with BYU only averaging 18,926 more people per game in attendance than Utah. So BYU's ticket office cash registers went "cahching" on the average of 18,926 times more per game than Utah's. I think that we can easily live with that for a season that only went 7-5 ...and students didn't get free tickets it's part of thier tuition and fees. "Ca...Ching"

• Laser Iowa City, IA
    Aug. 19, 2011 6:52 p.m.

So true mr. sports junkie. I remember the trash post on phillips very well. funny how he leaves and he was the greatest thing since Herschel Walker.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 6:47 p.m.

Naval Vet,
    You're about the only ute fan who isn't too embarrassed to claim victory in last year's Holy War. Good for you.

As for PHillips, I haven't heard or read where he's been kicked off the team. It's just been his twitter post saying his scholarship was pulled. I hope the best for him but if he doesn't continue at BYU it's his choice to leave. I read the article about Dallin Cutler on the SLT website and it's hard to feel bad for a kid like Drew when there are a ton of others busting their humps on the field and in the classroom to earn a scholarship.

I'm sure Drew is a little embarrassed, shocked and disappointed. My hope is after these emotions settle down that he'll weigh the choices in front of him and realize if he leaves he has to burn a year so he would be better off getting his academics in order and sticking with the team and earning his scholarship back.

If he doesn't feel like he can cut the mustard academically at the Y, then maybe he should try the community college up north.

• sports-junkie West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 5:59 p.m.

Gotta love U fans....

Drew chooses BYU and he's a subpar talent. BYU was his only option and hes not very good anyway.

Drew makes the decision to leave BYU and now all of a sudden he's "BCS quality". Whatever that's suppose to mean.

Just like U, always wanting it both ways.

I was looking forward to seeing what Drew was all about. It would have been awesome to see him take the field for the Cougars and Im bummed thats not going to happen. I wont spin it like U. This is disappointing for Cougar fans.

• Cougarcrazed Visalia, CA
    Aug. 19, 2011 5:10 p.m.

Neither party is obligated to elaborate on the situation, nor should they. Those of you who feel entitled to the details, get a life! Given BYU's history of working with every player who falls below their standards, whatever the violation may be, why should we even question their efforts to work with this kid? Chambers and Davies are 2 prime examples of this. Who cares what a newspaper reports! No one, and I mean No ONE, in Cougar Nation thinks less of this kid for having some issues. We all wish him the best and hope he gets things straightened out. If you don't feel that way, you are not a part of Cougar Nation.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 4:34 p.m.

@Chris B
    "byu will never be a top program as they simply can't recruit(or keep) athletes."

Uhhh......yyyyyyyeah, OK. We'll remember you said that this winter during basketball season (by the way, Josh Sharp says Hi).

So if this is what you think when one guy (yet to play a down) on a roster of 85 leaves the team, what do you say about a program where more than half of it's roster of 14 or so leaves every year (including their leading scorer and rebounder) and every 3 or 4 yrs they fire their head coach (like the Runnin' Utes men's BBall team)?

Glass houses.

@flames6
    "I know BYU fans live in the 80s."

And Utah fans live only in a 2 yr window from the past decade and ignorantly disregard what their football program did during the other 100+ yrs of their existence.

It's going to be fun watching your O-line trying to protect Jordan Wynn from USC's and the other P12 front sevens this year. With the panic coming from up on the Hill over the horrid Fall camp results, my guess is this season will be another one you'll choose to ignore.

• AZ Blue & Red Gilbert, AZ
    Aug. 19, 2011 2:37 p.m.

Just a thought but didn't Brigham Young start both universities? So in essence both are Brigham Young's Universities?

1850 University of Deseret (Started by Brigham Young)
    1875 Brigham Young Academy (Started by Brigham Young)

Both are good schools. Both have a lot of good and both have some issues. Passionate fans on both sides as well as stupid ones. (Just read some of the comments above)

A young man has some issues and it goes from this to bragging rights?

What am I missing?

• U 90 Corona, CA
    Aug. 19, 2011 2:08 p.m.

Bluto & Ike,

I would be interested in your sources/quotes from church leaders indicating that not one dime of tithe payer money has ever found it's way in to BYU's athletic department/facilities etc (1875 - 2011). If you can find the quote, I will believe it.

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    Aug. 19, 2011 1:53 p.m.

Such a double standard in reporting. Phillips is front page news, Jamaal Smith leaving Utah's football program is buried in a side note.

Just wondering what chris b thinks about his own team not beinig able to retain talent. Is Utah's standards to high? Should they relax them chris b.?

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 1:39 p.m.

Let's face the facts. It is far easier to fill up a stadium with 45,017 seats than it is to fill up a stadium with 63,725 seats. BYU at 95% still has 15,521 more fans at a game than Utah.

You can argue percentages all day long.

Utah cannot put enough fans in the stands to equal BYU. BYU would have to drop to 70% attendance to equal Utah's sold out stadium. BYU has 41% more seating capacity than Utah.

To say that Utah has a greater enthusiasm for their team is looking in a glass darkly and not looking at the realities of life.

• PapaSmurf Rocklin, CA
    Aug. 19, 2011 1:31 p.m.

MJB, he would be ineligible to all schools. BYU cuts him loose he can head to a JC and get eligible for somewhere else and prove himself on the field and in the classroom. He won't compete for anyone but possibly a JC this year and he lost his extra year last year as he redshirted.

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 1:27 p.m.

I hope he did not read about Ohio and Miami and think, Wow, I could have been making money while masquerading as a Student-Athlete so I will become ineligible so I can transfer to one of those schools.

Noway would he think that.

He just didn't do the work. Enuff said.

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 1:23 p.m.

ChrisB what an illusion. Are you insinuating he became academically ineligible so he could play for a BCS team. This young man failed to understand the simple rules. Go to class, keep up on your studies, go to the study hall if necessary to keep your grades up and you will still have a scholarship. What is it about this that you simply cannot grasp.

You distaste for the Y is so great you simply close your eyes to the obvious.

CougarClaws you can take a horse to water, but you cannot make him drink. This may well be the case with Drew. No matter how much help he gets he has to put forth some effort. Apparently he was not involved enough to stay academically eligible. The coaches cannot do his work for him. he has to do it himself. Maybe he was too caught up in his self-importance to see the trees because of the forest.

• MJB Tooele, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 1:22 p.m.

I still don't understand. If he can't compete at BYU because of his academic "ineligibilty", why isn't he ineligible to all universities? It's his own fault for his failing, not the coaches.

• AZ Blue & Red Gilbert, AZ
    Aug. 19, 2011 1:05 p.m.

How about we wish him luck and hope for the best. I am sure he is not happy about it either. I know I am not throwing the first stone.

Then we all look forward to a fun season and hope both BYU and Utah do well as well as a great game if a few weeks.

Am I missing something but was this not about a player who may need our support and not our opinions?

Good Luck Drew. I for one hope to see you back in Blue.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Aug. 19, 2011 1:02 p.m.

logicalfallacy:

"Since 1965, the series favors BYU 29-17. That pretty much answers the big brother question. Every single Ute knows last years win was a fluke...You were dominated in that game..."

First of all, SCOREBOARD!

LOSING does not reflect "dominat[ion]". And the game stats bear out the following facts:

1. The cougars produced 50+ yds on their final drive. Yet despite those added yardage...

2. Utah STILL had more total yds in the game. Which again, does not reflect any "dominat[ion]" on the part your cougars.

Yet ANOTHER "logical fallacy". How embarrassing for you.

• nottyou Riverton, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 12:59 p.m.

In the era where face-masks have been worn, BYU has been the dominant team.

Also, if you can't keep a 2.0 to 2.5 to keep scholarship, you should maybe try being a sheepherder.

• Starfarer Mesa, AZ
    Aug. 19, 2011 12:49 p.m.

ute trolls/ BYU haters think that BYU fans are delusional because they won't submit to the ute trolls perceived superiority.

What is more delusional...

A fan, who cheers for their own team regardless of what the naysayers and ankle bitters throw at them, or...

Someone who hates a team so much that they argue with them to try to convince them that they are wrong and that they are right.

Give me all the stats you want, argue with me until you are blue in the face, call me every name you can think of, show me your huge coin purse, and your affiliation in corrupt club you once despised.

I will still be a BYU fan.

And you will still be delusional to think that there is something you can say to change my mind.

But you'll be even more delusional because you keep trying, for the life of me, I can't figure out what you think you will win if you keep saying it over and over again. Do your friends give you high fives? Does your mom give you a cookie? Are there space monkeys?

Thanks for the entertainment.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT

42ndArizona State $53,479,441
    43rdColorado $52,631,896
    48thOregon State $47,185,827
    50thArizona $46,988,400
    62ndWashington State$39,621,059
    80thUtah $26,949,005

Looks to me like Utah and BYU will be on roughly even footing revenue wise in a few years, and Utah will be bottom half of the PAC, probably bottom two.

Aslo, aren't the Utes going to be required to add some sports? That'll affect the bottom line.

I'd just like to see the schools spend less on training facilities and give another $3,000 a year to athletes. (PBS' estimate of the average shortfall between scholarships and living expenses).

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 12:26 p.m.

"22 Elite College Sports Programs Turned a Profit in 2010, but Gaps Remain, NCAA Reports Says" Google it. That is roughly 80% running in the red.

From that article:

"scholarships accounted for 17 percent of athletics budgets in 2010, with programs spending a median of $7-million annually on financial aid for athletes. Salaries and benefits for coaches and administrative staff represented a median of nearly $16-million, or roughly a third of all budgets"

17% goes to scholarships (Scholarships paid with funny-money. A few hundred athletes sitting in classroom seats that would otherwise sit empty) 33% to coaches and staff.

Watch the scholarship % go down for athletes as scholarships remain the same and up for coaches and staff as salaries go up when the big bucks start rolling in.

Athletes are getting hosed...

• Idaho Coug Meridian, Idaho
    Aug. 19, 2011 12:15 p.m.

I am not going to assume this kid did not work hard on his academics. Some kids just struggle to maintain both school and sports demands. He has the talent to excel somewhere that the demands for both are not quite so high. He can still get a degree and play the sport he loves. Just maybe not at BYU. That shouldn't be a negative reflection on him as long as he gave it his all here.

We will miss his athleticism and speed. But I have a feeling that Adam Hines will fill that role very nicely next season and he is much bigger to boot.

And Coug fans, let's remember not to respond to stupidity with stupidity. The U is a great school with very quality kids and coaches who demand a lot from them. That doesn't change even if a couple of their fans don't quite rise to that level.

• COUGARNATE Lyman, WY
    Aug. 19, 2011 12:12 p.m.

Athletes have all kinds of people there to help them with academics and this kid can't cut the mustard. Most people do just fine. I have heard from former Collegiate athletes that you almost have to do nothing to not be eligable to play. While I feel bad that he didn't make it, it is only his fault.

• Starfarer Mesa, AZ
    Aug. 19, 2011 12:03 p.m.

Naval Vet

Merely pointing out the fact that it is pathetic that utes are in such need of validation that they have to come to BYU articles to argue superiority.

If you read my posts, I am not about proving BYU is better unless it is secondary to making fun of ute fans who have this unfathomable need to come comment on BYU articles.

Truth is, I don't care if you think you're better. I don't care what stats you bring to the table. I don't read ute articles, nor look up how many people sit in your stadium. It means next to nothing to me how many wins you have, what conference you play in, how much money you make, if your dad can beat up my dad, or if your children are smarter than my children.

What you fail to understand is that you come to BYU looking for a fight.

What does that say about you?

I can leave utah completely alone because they mean nothing to me.

Can you, and the other ute fan / BYU haters do the same?

• dhsalum Saint George, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 11:46 a.m.

Ms Molli | 11:20 p.m. Aug. 18, 2011
    Bountiful, Utah

Does DN read everybody's Twitter or are you relying on hearsay (since you didn't mention how this "fact" came to your attention?
    ------------

If you play any sport at BYU (especially football) and have a twitter account, most likely every desnews writer follows you on twitter

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Aug. 19, 2011 11:41 a.m.

BlueNtheFace:

"Talk attendance smack to us when your stadium has 'BCS' capacity, like LES does. Then your percentage will have some meaning."

Fat lotta good all that attendance did for you. You've NEVER played your way to a BCS Bowl invitation, and you've NEVER been invited to join a BCS conference. You can try to spin it anyway you want, but your invitation to join the WAC will NEVER measure up to Utah's relationship with the Pac-12. Perhaps you should try to accomplish even ONE of those feats before talking ANY type of smack to your big brother on the hill.

Until then, have fun down there in the mid-majors.

• logicalfallacy Mesa, AZ
    Aug. 19, 2011 11:21 a.m.

Utes get a little defensive of their stadium size. Of course you sell it out, it's so tiny. Second to last in the PAC12. 38,000, 45,000, whatever. It's dwarfed by the powerhouse to the south of you that has been getting all the national media this year. I have a hard time remembering if you are the school in Logan or SLC?

Since 1965, the series favors BYU 29-17. That pretty much answers the big brother question. Every single Ute knows last years win was a fluke because they all have eyes and could see the knee was down. The refs ignored the rules. You were dominated in that game and had it not been for the refs refusal to make the right call, you would have finished the year with a strong 1-5 record after being ranked #4l That will most likely enter the CF Hall of Fame as the most over ranked season in the history of CF.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 11:19 a.m.

Naval Vet | 10:26 a.m. Aug. 19, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Starfarer:

"The facts were on my side. Yet, despite being 100% right, and logicalfallacy was not, you decided to go after me rather than him."

===

Agreed NavalVet, logicalfallacy's post was a weak attempt at smack talk. 70% and BCS cupcakes? I agree with you 100%.

However, you did leave out one fact that might have weakened whatever your argument was.

Which team sells more tickets? Which team has more fans show up.

How does that fact play into your point?

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 11:15 a.m.

Bluto -

Your accusations of "spin" are hilarious for one who doesn't know any other way. As per your response to the very comment you ridiculed as "spin."
    No credibility bro, you've destroyed that long ago.

• junkgeek Agua Dulce, TX
    Aug. 19, 2011 11:13 a.m.

"A chance when they didn't earn it, how sad is that?"

Just like BYU "earned" that mythical national championship.

• catram North Las Vegas, NV
    Aug. 19, 2011 11:09 a.m.

I think it is easy to forget how hard BYU really is academically. I transferred to BYU from UNLV back in 1988. I had a 3.9 GPA at UNLV and worked 30 hours a week. I graduated from BYU with a 3.3 and really only worked during the summers. Law school was not as difficult as my undergraduate degree from BYU. I cussed the school for a number of years, but now I am very, very grateful for how challenging it was. BYU is not for everyone. Phillips may need to go to a school that is less challenging academically. I also really looked forward to watching him play. Good luck Drew!!

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 11:08 a.m.

Bluto -

You said - "BYU was one of only 4 D-1 Football programs which were in the Black last year."

I won't say you're wrong but you need to show me some proof on that one. That sounds absolutely ridiculous when it's common knowledge that most football programs FUND the other less popular sports.

4 D-1 football programs were in the black? Uhmm, again...please prove that one.

• BlueNtheFace Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Aug. 19, 2011 10:57 a.m.

Naval Vet - a big shot in his own mind. He calls BYU a 'mid-major', referring to the football program .. lol. That's a term that some bigger "basketball" conferences call other, smaller conferences to make themselves feel better. Keep your condescending terms straight, skippy.

Talk attendance smack to us when your stadium has "BCS" capacity, like LES does. Then your percentage will have some meaning. See you on the 17th of September. Hope your team picks up the offense by then.

Go COUGARS!

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 10:56 a.m.

@FYI

You stated:

"Just some facts for you. According to the NCAA final attendance figures for the 120 FBS schools in 2010, Utah was ranked 11th with a capacity percent of 100.98. BYU was ranked 38th with 95.84

Wow, is that not some Desperate Spin?
    You're joking, right?

By those standards Montana has U beat.

Now, let's look at the numbers that matter. Actual number of fans attending the games..

BYU still hovers around Top 25 in Football attendance, as they have been doing for 30 years now.

side note: BYU was ranked #5 in Basketball attendance, last year.

Last year, BYU, in a down year, still ranked 27th among all D-1 Schools in attendance.

Which places them (BYU) above evey Pac 12 School, with the exceptions of USC and Washington.

In other words, BYU would rank 3rd in attendance in the Pac 12.

Utah couldn't even crack the Top 50, coming in at #52 in attendance at 45k per game in "Taxpayer Olympic Stadium".

This puts Utah next to dead last in attendance in the Pac 12, only Washington State averaged fewer fans than Utah.

Nice attempt at spin, kind of pathetic really.

• IDC Boise, ID
    Aug. 19, 2011 10:41 a.m.

I hope Drew finds a way to make it back to good standing. I was excited to see how fast he actually is on the field. It isn't easy to be an athlete at BYU. First, you must be a good athlete. Second, you must be bright or have the determination to study hard. Third, you must have the will to maintain your religious convictions and stay morally clean. These facts make me appreciate athletes that are able to excell at BYU even more. Good luck Drew and Go Cougs!

• CT98 Saint George, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 10:38 a.m.

This is terrible news. Drew proved he was a quick, tough, shifty runner during his prep career. He had incredible speed. His senior season highlight reel on youtube is something to behold. That kid would have been tons of fun to watch at BYU. Very unfortunate we lost him.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 10:35 a.m.

correction...

Not one dime of "Tithing" is used.

when will the D-news install an edit button?

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 10:32 a.m.

@U 90

To answer your question...and contrary to popular Ute spin.....

No, not one dime of your Tithing money goes towards BYU Athletics.
    This is longstanding Church policy.

BYU Athletics is self sustaining. When new facilities are constructed, the money comes from Donors and Revenues generated through the various programs, TV, Advertising, Ticket revenues etc.

Their (BYU) facilties are paid for before they are dedicated. As well as having mandatory multi-million dollar "Maintenance Endowments" already in place.

BYU was one of only 4 D-1 Football programs which were in the Black last year.
    Not one dime of titihnig is available to BYU Athletics.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 10:28 a.m.

Prolly the fastest college player in the history of this state.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Aug. 19, 2011 10:26 a.m.

Starfarer:

Who am I trying to convince? Well...I've convinced YOU! You didn't/couldn't refute ONE thing about my post. The facts were on my side. Yet, despite being 100% right, and logicalfallacy was not, you decided to go after me rather than him. You don't care about "truth". You live for the "fantasy"; the sort manufactured by disingenuous Y fans like logicalfallacy. It's people like you and him that is the reason I stop by here from time to time.

• ike Grand Rapids, MI
    Aug. 19, 2011 10:23 a.m.

@U 90

Common misconceptions about BYU. Tithing does not go toward sports. Never has, never will. Look it up if you don't believe me.

Also and interesting concept is forced vs. voluntary. You are forced to pay your taxes. If you support Utah athletics or you don't, you have zero choice in not supporting them financially without the consequences of jail time.

No one is forced to support BYU.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Aug. 19, 2011 10:19 a.m.

Phillips was a 2-star RB anyway. No big loss.

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    Aug. 19, 2011 10:17 a.m.

The problem with many if not most young folks of this age is that they do not realize that the game of life has started. They still think they are kids and can just focus on having fun. The things that seperate the successful from others is early realization that when high school is over, the days of fun and games are over. When high school is over, their work life has begun and they need to be mature, work hard, get their priorities right, and become responsible adults. Kids that don't understand this seem to coast along as if they were going to life forever only to find that at 30 they don't have a career or prospects for having one.

• BYU/Jazz fan West Valley, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 10:16 a.m.

Chris B and Ver A-

How's this for a little sad fact, USC could do better than UTAH in the South conference but because USC is ineligible from competing for a conference championship, Utah could get a chance anyways. A chance when they didn't earn it, how sad is that?

• FYI Taylorsville, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 10:15 a.m.

@ logical fallacy
    Just some facts for you. According to the NCAA final attendance figures for the 120 FBS schools in 2010, Utah was ranked 11th with a capacity percent of 100.98. BYU was ranked 38th with 95.84.

• U 90 Corona, CA
    Aug. 19, 2011 10:00 a.m.

Bluto,

I'm not blasting BYUs attendance, just helping your friend "logical fallacy" understand that contrary to his post, Utah sold out all home games for the past several years.

Regarding your dig on tax payer money that helped build RES, do you think any of my tithing money was used to build LES?

• Starfarer Mesa, AZ
    Aug. 19, 2011 9:53 a.m.

Naval Vet

So if BYU is just a mid major, not worthy to loose the strap of the might utes, and cannot be mentioned in the same sentence...

Why do you personally feel the need to come to BYU articles to prove you are better?

Fine, we get it. You think you're better, we get it. So go be better.

However, since you seem not to be able to...

Who are you trying to convince?

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 9:51 a.m.

RaininTime,
    You missed the mark with Veritas. His post was quite simply the compilation of all thoughts Ute trolls before they ignorantly throw out their inflammatory false comments. Re-read his post with rose-colored glasses then you will understand how he mocks the trolls who have no clue to reality or regard for truth.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 9:31 a.m.

To Drew

Work hard to get back. Don't settle for lower standards. Accept the challenge of higher standards at BYU.

Many have traveled your road and come back. Some go JC for a year, others stay in school and walk on when their grades are back up. Get your grades up and your new scholarship will be there for you.

Take it as personal challenge to achieve your highest potential. You can take easier routes to be sure, many schools have lower standards, but places like BYU and Stanford don't.

Hang in there, get back here, and the fans will welcome you back with open arms.

• pabellon Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 9:31 a.m.

Unfortunately, he seems to have forgotten that the first part of "scholarship" is "scholar" and the first part of "student-athlete" is "student." Hopefully, he will work out his academic struggles because, even if he does leave, that will not change.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Aug. 19, 2011 9:29 a.m.

logical fallacy:

"Now take your smack talk and stay by that Olympic stadium that holds 38,000 but is only sold out when big brother comes to town..."

1. As had already been mentioned, Utah's stadium capacity is well over your made-up quantity of 38K, and has been for years.

2. The ONLY school to have averaged "sold out" games over the past 3 yrs in this state was Utah.

3. At 54-34-4 in the overall series, Utah is the big brother. We've also been playing football longer, have more overall wins, possess the higher W pct [ditto for the postseason], is NOT a mid-major program, and had been the winningest team vs. AQ schools from among the non-AQ leagues before we moved on. TCU was the #2. After Utah and TCU leave, the Y will STILL not inherit the title for "most wins vs. AQ-league schools".

4. More fans attended Utah's games vs. TCU and Pitt than the Y game. Attendance for the Y came in THIRD. Out of SIX! Very "middle-of-the-pack".

Talk about "logical fallacies".

• BYU>utah Provo, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 9:24 a.m.

I really hope Phillips, Putnam and Chambers come back next year. Can you imagine how deep BYU is? Our depth is envied by BCS schools and especially by that school up north that we regularly beat in football and basketball.
    I love that BYU does not lower its standards for its students or student athletes. BYU wins with the Honor Code and high academic standards- the same can't be said for Miami, Ohio State, etc. as well as utah.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 9:19 a.m.

@U 90

BYU has been averaging over 60 thousand fans per game for over 30 years!

Even in the Crowton years, the low average was still over 58 thousand per game.

We all know, when Utah has .500 or lower seasons, 20 thousand fair weather fans disappear.

That's when the "Buy a Taco and get a free ticket to a Utah Football game" promotions come out.

Well, get the coupons ready, here come the Lovat years all over again, and the return of only 25k fans in the Olympic Stadium built by the Taxpayers of Utah.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 9:16 a.m.

"Chris B" and "logical fallacy" illustrate a point for the rest of us which is there are really only a few fans on either side of the rivalry that are the kind that bug us all. They're just fire starters.
    Those comments were ridiculous. I encourage fans on these boards to just ignore Chris B and don't judge my beloved fan base on anything he says. Sorry Chris B, don't mean to be a jerk but you do it to yourself.
    Conversely I encourage Ute fans to dismiss the illogical posts from logicalFallacy.
    There's a handful of others every day that I could call out and they know who they are...they always show up with the same mantra - which gets old and boring anyway.
    Their minds won't be changed over anything...so we shouldn't bother responding.
    As for the point of the article...I hope Drew finds a good outcome to the current problem. It's always a bummer seeing a talented guy not get to continue what he loves due to deficiencies elsewhere, but this is his chance to learn that life is a balance and not all about football.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 9:10 a.m.

correction:
    BYU has High Academic Standards

• 1984 for life Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 9:09 a.m.

A lot of comments on a situation that nobody really knows anything about. How about we leave it to the student and BYU to resolve the issue and keep the discussion to players who are activley working out in preparation of the season.

Really not fair to BYU or the student to do otherwise.

• PapaSmurf Rocklin, CA
    Aug. 19, 2011 8:56 a.m.

Drew redshirted last year while working on academics. He does not have the grades to maintain the scholarship. I have known plenty of students that had their academic scholarships pulled for bad grades as well as a few players. When my son was recruited it was amazing to see the academic support and as the coach put it - you have to be on a mission to fail to not get a B average. Drew was on a mission to fail.

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    Aug. 19, 2011 8:38 a.m.

There is an NCAA rule that players have to be academically eligible? Wow, how unfair! Then there is Miami!

• riddlemethis Clearfield, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 8:20 a.m.

U 90:

Since you have such an affinity for the truth:

That number one ranking is largely due to Stanford and Oregon who U don't play this year. Also Colorado had a 5-7 season and wasn't in the PAC last year.

The PAC teams on Utah's schedule have a combined 45-62 record last year; with California, Colorado,Ore St, UCLA, Wash St, all having losing seasons.

And for empty seats you need to look no further than the Rice Bowl circa the 3rd quarter during the TCU game.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 8:04 a.m.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

BYU will ever be a top program if they simply recruit(and keep) athletes who want to live the honor code and are willing to work hard enough academically to remain eligible to play at BYU .

This guy was one of at least 10 true athletes on the entire team. That is more than any other team in the state and more than many of the GOOD BSC teams. Most teams only have 4 or 5 elite "athletes" Others are all position players.

Phillips is likely looking for BCS(lower intelligence and higher corruption) quality teammates, BCS quality coaches(Higher pay and more likely to break rules for money and wins), to play in a BCS(mock championship) game, and be in a BCS(corrupted) league.

He's wishing that his academics were in line with athletic abilities so he'd be eligible to play for the best team in Utah and one of the best programs in the country. He is likely frustrated by higher standards, which require a higher level of dedication to meet. If He doesn't return he'll always wonder what he could have been at a great shcool.

• U 90 Corona, CA
    Aug. 19, 2011 7:44 a.m.

@ logical fallacy

You said "70% of the PAC-12 is a joke and that is a BCS conference. Yes, Utah is in the 70%... Now take your smack talk and stay by that Olympic stadium that holds 38,000 but is only sold out when big brother comes to town for your yearly spanking. Scoreboard baby."

Here's the Truth:

Sagarin ranked the PAC 10 as the #1 football conference in 2010. Utah is 7-3 against the PAC 10 schools in their last 10 games

Utah's stadium holds 46,000 and sold out all home games last year. I don't know if BYU sold out all games but I saw a lot of empty seats toward the end of the season

How can you talk smack about the scoreboard, the game hasn't even been played yet. Unless your referring to last year's game or the all time series??? Where do you come up with this stuff?

• Starfarer Mesa, AZ
    Aug. 19, 2011 7:12 a.m.

Chris B

You put too much stock in the BCS. What will you do when the BCS implodes with corruption?

Just cause you keep saying it doesn't make it true...

Or don't you remember the beat down from the last article you commented on.

I guess you can't learn and old ute new tricks.

We'll see how the BCS team does on Spet 17th.

• Flames6 North Salt Lake, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 7:09 a.m.

@logical. I know BYU fans live in the 80s. Now you are trying to take the Utes back there with that post. Nice attempt.

• gchris rock springs, wy
    Aug. 19, 2011 7:08 a.m.

@ChrisB

Drew Phillips was recruited and given a scholarship as a student-athlete. If he's looking for BCS quality teammates, BCS quality coaches, a BSC quality game and a BCS quality league, maybe he should look for the library first. Do they have one of those at your BSC school? It is unfortunate that, for whatever the reason, Drew wasn't able to meet the academic requirements of participation in BYU extracurricular activities. He will probably be academically eligible at another school. Hope he graduates and finds a rewarding life after football.

• Winglish Lehi, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 6:23 a.m.

My guess is that he didn't get the grades he needed in his summer courses. When someone is academically ineligible, that means they're on probation. There's not a student at BYU who can continue their elegibility for school without passing classes. I tutored a very well known BYU athlete who was facing probation one time. He had to put in overtime on the studies to make it. Some guys just can't or don't make the effort it takes to succeed academically, even when talked to by coaches and assigned a tutor, etc.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    Aug. 19, 2011 6:04 a.m.

Hey... it was Phillips opportunity to blow...He has no one to blame but himself. Obviously his academics again didn't cut the mustard the second time around. If you don't make the minimum you don't play. That's just the way it is. It's too bad because he is talented and would lock down depth at his position for a couple more years. And the guy tweeted his own story to the DNews so why are individuals laying that trip on Mendenhall and the school. And Chrissy B. is Chrissy B....He/she just doesn't seem to be in control...so that isn't going to change anytime soon either...and with so many comments so far out in left field... should simply be ignored by now...

• Laser Iowa City, IA
    Aug. 19, 2011 5:59 a.m.

Too bad for Phillips. I hope he lands somewhere and gets to play football. I was pretty excited to watch him play for the Cougars.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 12:52 a.m.

I don't understand it. I thought that Coach DuPaix was working with Drew and that the BYU Coaching staff was interested in his success. We needed him bad, particularly for next season with JJ DiLuigi and Bryan Kariya leaving. Maybe there is a chance he comes back? I sure hope so.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 12:48 a.m.

That bites.

• RaininTime Orem, UT
    Aug. 18, 2011 11:58 p.m.

Errrr @ Chris B and Veritas Aequitas, ummm, WOW!!! Jeff Call got this information from Drew Phillips, via twitter, not BYU. As far as athleticism at BYU is concerned, tell that to Oklahoma. (your act is getting old)

And BYU always, always, always matches up, if not exceeds that of the Utes athletically. To say otherwise is as blind as is SL sports Radio or more to the point, as is the blindness of Ute trolls on every BYU article written. The Utes will match up athletically with Washington State and UCLA, kinda like, looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane.

The U of U lose players all the time, the interest in such just gets buried like most Ute articles, somewhere around High School Tennis.

Many BYU fans were excited about seeing Drew Phillips on the field, but I was far more excited about Drew getting his education and having a great experience at BYU.

As has been said and over-stated, BYU is not for everyone. BYU is obviously for Josh Quezada and Ross Apo and Jake Heaps and Carter Mees and Austen Jorgensen and Cody Hoffman and I can go on forever, my man etc., etc., etc.,

• logicalfallacy Mesa, AZ
    Aug. 18, 2011 11:55 p.m.

Chris B - not even worth really commenting on but since it was designed to get a rise out of the dominant football program in the state, I'll just say that 70% of the PAC-12 is a joke and that is a BCS conference. Yes, Utah is in the 70%. Watch BYU roll over these BCS cupcakes in their first 5 games. BYU 5, BCS 0. Now take your smack talk and stay by that Olympic stadium that holds 38,000 but is only sold out when big brother comes to town for your yearly spanking. Scoreboard baby.

• Mountainman56 Alpine, UT
    Aug. 18, 2011 11:48 p.m.

Thanks Chrissy. What we would we do without you to enlighten us?

• riddlemethis Clearfield, UT
    Aug. 18, 2011 11:36 p.m.

Hopefully he can get the academic thing straightened out and be back on the team. If it doesn't work out then best of luck to him.

• CougarOnTheProwl Murray, UT
    Aug. 18, 2011 11:20 p.m.

Maybe he had better consider putting football on the back burner for now and get his academics in order so that he can get his football scholorship back.

• Ms Molli Bountiful, Utah
    Aug. 18, 2011 11:20 p.m.

Phillips, a freshman who redshirted last season, announced via Twitter Thursday night that the school has pulled his scholarship. While he later deleted that tweet, he subsequently reiterated several times that he won't be returning to play for the Cougars.

• DC Alexandria, VA
    Aug. 18, 2011 11:04 p.m.

Just like Chambers was never going to come back. Both Chambers and Phillips will be suited up next year.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Aug. 18, 2011 10:38 p.m.

I cannot believe BYU put his name out like that to be publically humiliated by the national media.I thought BYU was all about forgiveness. BYU will never be an elite program until they drop all academic standards.

BYU threw Phillips under the bus as a knee-jerk reaction to Utah being invited to the PAC-12.

(I thought I'd try and hit all the talking points for the alumni house kids.)

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 18, 2011 10:30 p.m.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

byu will never be a top program as they simply can't recruit(or keep) athletes.

This guy was one of maybe 10 true athletes on the entire team.

He's likely looking for BCS quality teammates, BCS quality coaches, to play in a BCS game, and be in a BCS league.

This kid is counting his blessings tonight his time in the bubble is over.

• satch Highland, UT
    Aug. 18, 2011 10:28 p.m.

I was looking forward to seeing this guy play. His footage looked amazing. I know he had issues, but he is still young and I think he should have been given more time.

I still support my cougars.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Aug. 18, 2011 10:27 p.m.

I hope Drew Phillips ends up in a good spot playing football somewhere. I was looking forward to seeing him play in Provo with that tremendous speed. Maybe there is still time to reverse his decision.

• SportzFan Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 18, 2011 10:19 p.m.

Maybe I don't understand. Phillips expects to have a scholarship when he is academically ineligible?