BYU football notebook: Cougar secondary's depth chart coming into focus

• Mildred in Fillmore Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 16, 2011 10:34 a.m.

Our secondary will be big and fast. They won't need to be able to cover receivers for too long though since most of the opposing quarterbacks will be lying on their backs.

• Duckhunted highland, utah
    Aug. 16, 2011 6:54 a.m.

Now it's time for both programs to step up to the plate. We can both be happy we left the MWC behind, but now we are both playing with the big time schools. I really don't understand U fans bashing the Y or BYU fans that bash the U.Doesn't it make sense, that the better the other team does the better it makes our team look? With that said Go Utes!!!

• George Q's Aide-de-Camp North Logan, Utah
    Aug. 15, 2011 9:12 p.m.

You can comment on the Cougars anytime!

• CougarOnTheProwl Murray, UT
    Aug. 15, 2011 8:50 p.m.

Agree with most of what you posted PapaSmurf, well thought out reasonable post.

• CougarOnTheProwl Murray, UT
    Aug. 15, 2011 8:42 p.m.

PapaSmurf... I agree with most of what you stated in your post, that was a well thought out reasonable post.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    Aug. 15, 2011 7:51 p.m.

Keep up the good work PapaSmurf.

• joecoog North Las Vegas, NV
    Aug. 15, 2011 7:03 p.m.

I agree with starfarer. Nice job smurf

• Starfarer Mesa, AZ
    Aug. 15, 2011 4:35 p.m.

That was a mighty fine comment Papa Smurf UTE!

I don't agree with all of it, but the way you said it was a good show of how a Ute can have respect for another team.

I wish all the Ute commentators could construct comments as constructive as this one.

• IDC Boise, ID
    Aug. 15, 2011 4:27 p.m.

I agree about the secondary Smurf. The benefit to BYU for the first 3 games is that the qbs are not looking too strong. Most will have little to no experience and I don't think Wynn is in for a good season this year. Things just look too fishy with how sore his arm is. If the stars align, he will do fine. I just don't see that happening.

• Papa Smurf UTE Herriman, UT
    Aug. 15, 2011 4:18 p.m.

I think fans, especially UTE fans will be surprised with how good bYu's defense really is. I still think however that they will be better at stopping the run than the pass. Their DB's still need a ton of work, & dont have enough speed. If their offense progresses, and I think they will, they might have to out score some teams to win. They cannot rely on their D to win them games like I think the UTES will have to this year. If the Perfect Storm hits, the Y could have a great season. If you look at their 1st 3 games individually, they could win all three. As a collective though, you think they will not come out of that undefeated. Especially the 1st 2 games on the road. They are both winnable, & judging Bronco's past record with how his teams start seasons, the D may be called on to win them a game. I still think that they will either be 2-1 or 1-2 comingout of those 3 games, then winning 7 of their last 9 to have a recor of 9-3 or 8-4, which aint to shabby.