Sports

BYU football ready for risk, rewards of independence

Comments

• Captain L Provo, UT
    Aug. 18, 2011 11:25 a.m.

TheDuece: Its all about winning, that's all you have to do and BYU knows it. That is what they will be out to prove. That is what the football program will be working to do , but exposure will come even with one or two or three losses but exciting brand of football and every game televised. Exposure, Exposure, Exposure, that is the ultimate goal. Again the sports side of things is secondary and a tool. If the only thing we were worried about was football things would be different but like I said, football (although important) is not the most important objective.

• davidutefan Evanston, WY
    Aug. 17, 2011 11:08 a.m.

If BYU wants to be "Notre Dame West of sorts", that's about right. They haven't won a "nat'l championship" in a quarter century either, and by the way fan in orem, I will not be watching the Montana State game on KJZZ, I'll be in the stadium with 45,000 of my closest friends.

• The Deuce Livermore, CA
    Aug. 16, 2011 10:46 p.m.

To: Captain L | 9:21 a.m. Aug. 16, 2011 Provo, UT - you do make some good points. However, the difference between BYU and Boise State/TCU is that Boise State/TCU win games and win big games. This is why they get the love. When BYU can show the rest of us that they can beat Boise State and TCU, I will believe in independence. Until then, this is a risky venture at best. The 2nd half of this years schedule is really pathetic for a program that is seeking exposure. As I have stated before, if they don't win the first half of the schedule, no one will be watching.

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    Aug. 16, 2011 1:16 p.m.

Many of you who complain about the weaker opponents later in the season continue and continue and continue to ignore the fact that many of the conferences in the BCS make if very difficult for their members to schedule non conference games later in the season. A few ban it outright, yet you continue to harp on the lack of quality opponents. Before you complain find out the facts first please.

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    Aug. 16, 2011 1:08 p.m.

PapasmurfUte I assume you are including Utah in that list of JV schools BYU played at the end of the year. The game turned on a blown coverage.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    Aug. 16, 2011 9:21 a.m.

crowntown1: The major goal isn't BCS bowl or NC, it is exposure to BYU and the Church, with the message of the Restored Gospel eventually getting into as many homes and lives as possible, that is the ultimate goal. Football wise, yes getting into a BCS bowl and then the NC game would be their goal but that is secondary goalwise to spreading the message of the Resored Gospel. Sports/football are great entertainment but not really important in the big picture. Sports/Football/Basketball are great tools because of how popular and watched they are.
    I prefer that BYU stay independent, it has some drawbacks but mostly I like it and don't think we need the comfort & security of a conf.. time will tell, but for the next several yrs(maybe indefinately) I like the idea of independance.
    Those who complain about the strength of schedule, where are you coming from? This yrs schedule is stronger with more tough teams than we would ever have as a member of the Mtn and Boise St, Utah & TCU got plenty of love and BCS bowl games with far weaker schedules. Things will continue to get better.

• fan in orem Orem, Utah
    Aug. 16, 2011 9:15 a.m.

Re: Dave Rose, he was stuck on the mtn as well. That wasn't just football. His team will be seen nationally much more this year than the past several years. I don't think he is having too hard of a time with it.

Also, Smurf, there are thousands of BYU fans all over the world who have NOT been seeing their favorite team play, until now. It doesn't matter if people stumble on to a game or not, there are plenty of people who know how to find "aljazoobie-tv" just fine.

To the others who keep commenting on our schedule: We are BYU fans, not just ute haters. We like to watch our team play, even if we are playing Idaho State and Idaho. Don't you like to watch the utes play, no matter who it is you are playing. I suppose you aren't going to bother watching KJZZ on a Thursday night because it is only Montana State? Really? Great fans. Kyle is lucky to have you.

• Hawkyo SYRACUSE, UT
    Aug. 15, 2011 11:40 p.m.

Is it Sept. 3rd yet?

• SoCalUtahFan Irvine, CA
    Aug. 15, 2011 9:17 p.m.

A few days ago, BYU was ready for Big-12 too...

I guessed Big-12 is not ready for BYU.

Settle for Indy-Wacky then.

• UtahBronco Lehi, UT
    Aug. 15, 2011 7:35 p.m.

@ Papa Smurf UTE

Fyi, 9 of Boise State's 2011 games will be televised nationally. Only 3 will be carried by the Mtn.

Too bad the Utes backed down from the 2011 return game they owed the Broncos on the Boise blue. I was looking forward to that one.

• GoGetter Sandy, UT
    Aug. 15, 2011 7:29 p.m.

Risk and reward is related to a surfer.... what?

Welp, we'll see how the season goes.

• Duh west jordan, ut
    Aug. 15, 2011 7:20 p.m.

Well I for one will just relish the year, win or lose, because I can either cheer for victory or cry in defeat since almost all my games will be avaialable to watch. No more denying us MWC. When we lose it will hurt, no denying that but we are in such a better place. Who cares what the negative Ute fans have to say. There are many more Ute fans who wish BYU the best except for when we play them. I for one want to see us succeed and I want to see Utah succeed. If they do great and we beat them, it boosts us overall as a team and makes all the nay sayers look silly. Go BYU and go Utah. Hope this is a stellar year for both. Now, let's play some football!!!

• crowntown1 Corona, CA
    Aug. 15, 2011 7:15 p.m.

More risk than reward though I don't understand if going to a BCS game or winning a NC is the ultimate goal, than Independence is not the answer.

• CougarKeith Roy, UT
    Aug. 15, 2011 6:31 p.m.

I think this season is going to be a great year whether we win or lose! It's the level of competition you play, and this year is far and away better than what we played in the Mountain West! I think we did the right thing! I would also hope the Big 12 invites us and Boise State to replace Nebraska and Colorado, there you will be getting a former National Champion, to replace Nebraska in BYU, and a Boise State that I believe is much better than Colorado, who has been nothing but a year here and a year there kind of team. Colorado jumped ship for the Pac-12 because they knew they were playing teams who out classed them. So now they might win a few games. I think they will do better in the Pac-12 myself. I think that BYU will be better off as an Independant and will land them in the BIG 12 should it choose that course!

• Striker Omaha, NE
    Aug. 15, 2011 5:32 p.m.

"I can't wait for September 3rd and 17th!"

Playing Utah is old news and uninteresting. I can't wait to play an SEC opponent and a Big XII powerhouse. Now those are REAL teams!

• Monsieur le prof Sandy, UT
    Aug. 15, 2011 4:42 p.m.

To the naysayers: No one said it would be easy to go independent. The Y will have to content itself with some lower tier teams for a few years until it solidifies its reputation and schedule. It was a no-brainer decision to move because of the mediocre TV deals they had, especially in comparison with what they have now--twice as many TV games as the Utes. ESPN is a lot smarter than Papa Smurf (but then, isn't everybody?) when it comes to TV ratings. The Y will pull in plenty of viewers and not just nationally.

Coach Rose has stated that he is excited for the move because of the great teams they'll be playing in the new conference. In a few years, everything will be running like a finely-tuned engine. And if they get invited into a BCS conference, so much the better!

• The Deuce Livermore, CA
    Aug. 15, 2011 4:19 p.m.

This independent move has many questions along the way. One comment said it right, don't be confused about the success of the second half of last year, those teams were not what you want to base anything on right now. Yes, this years first half of the year schedule looks good. However, the second half of the year is dismal and provides nothing. The Y has really put themselves in an interesting position. If you don't win the first half of the season, forget about the second half. Although games may be broadcast, who is going to watch Idaho State and Univ. of Idaho? This is not the exposure everyone talks about. Yes, football drives the bus financially. I would rather the Y come out and say this from the start rather than putting together a patchwork of conferences for the rest of the athletic program to participate in. This is putting all of your eggs in one basket and does not make alot of sense unless this is all about the $'s. Why does Coach Rose not say much about his situation? Last year, basketball did alot more for exposure than the football team has done.

• tantheman Lindon, UT
    Aug. 15, 2011 3:55 p.m.

Pretty sure I have read a very similar article every day from the day BYU went independent. It is exciting and all, but do we need an article every day about it?

• Papa Smurf UTE Herriman, UT
    Aug. 15, 2011 3:36 p.m.

We all know that the Y was not playing like a top 25 at the end of the year. They were playing a bunch of JV schools, and that is why they looked light years ahead of where they did at the beginning of the year. Same thing could be said for the UTES at the beginning of last year, and falling of at the end of the season. ESPN will get you more exposure, but Aljazoobie TV will not. Only us LDS folk and Y fans will know where it is, even though 500 trillion people may have it in their homes. Only about 10 million or less will ever sit down to watch a game on it. I dont think that the BIG 12 is going to come calling for the Y anytime soon, butindependence is that way to gofor them for sure. Especially over the Mtn Worst with the UTES, and then TCU no longer being there. Boise St will now become the little engine that could that will no longer be seen on TV.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Aug. 15, 2011 3:21 p.m.

Bronco is really a class act. His neck is out as far as it can get as the head coach of the most visible sport at BYU. Independence could be an incredible success and the continuation of something great. I believe it will be. Judging from the quality of recruits he has been getting, I am not alone.

• Informed Voter South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 15, 2011 3:14 p.m.

3 cheers for Bronco. Love everything about him as a coach. Saturday at the scrimmage I saw him on one knee tenderly holding the head of injured fullback Pritchard while comforting him verbally through the helmet earhole as the medical staff attended to Pritchard. Win or loose, Bronco is a class act....and the team will win!

• Portland Trail Blazers Sandy, UT
    Aug. 15, 2011 2:45 p.m.

I can't wait for September 3rd and 17th!

Go Cougars!

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    Aug. 15, 2011 2:39 p.m.

This is really going to be a fun year!

• CanuckFan Vancouver, BC
    Aug. 15, 2011 2:35 p.m.

Independence seems to be a great interim step. A brand building exercise that ultimately puts you in a strong negotiating position when "the mess" that is college football, ultimately settles in 3, 5 or 10 years.

• JonnyDanger HOUSTON, TX
    Aug. 15, 2011 2:28 p.m.

"If we maintain our winning ways in football, with more exposure, I can't see it doing anything but making us more marketable for whatever comes next, and hopefully that will outweigh the comfort of a conference."

Well said Bronco. It may be that Independence is the long-term solution, or it may be a stepping stone. Either way-if we win it is awesome. And if we don't win...we can all watch the agony on ESPN :)