Sports

Doug Robinson: Football's fashion craze seems silly

Comments

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    Aug. 14, 2011 9:57 p.m.

PS... BYU should feel lucky they are outfitted by Nike. While Nike has created a LOT of awful uniforms in college football, they do have the best designs in college football. The Pro Combat uniforms are incredibly sharp, and BYU should feel lucky to be in the mix. Hopefully, one of these years Nike will include BYU in one of their annual Pro Combat projects... and we get to see a flamboyant BYU uniform (which is just used for one game).

As we are with Under Armour (the worst CFB outfitter), there's no hope that we will see a Pro Combat uni anytime soon.

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    Aug. 14, 2011 9:53 p.m.

I agree the uniform craze in CFB has gone too far. Especially with Oregon.

I'm all for awesome unis and keeping the look fresh, but like I said... it's gone way too far.

One of the reasons I have a mild disdain for Oregon is because of their lame uni combos. Some call them the best unis in CFB... but I think they're clearly one of the worst.

Utah's new uniforms this year are GREAT! So so so soooooo much better than last year's. I love the more flat red (as opposed to shiny red), the new and (much) improved block-style numbers... and the sweet subtle pattern inside the numbers.

All I wanted was a uniform that made the U look like a big time school. They succeeded!

While we're on the topic, I give mad props to BYU for their unis as well. The navy blue/tan experiment was a colossal mistake. The current look for BYU (navy and white, as opposed to royal blue and white) is the best they've ever had.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Aug. 14, 2011 12:11 p.m.

duckhunter, you have no room to talk about program maturity. Try adding a second undefeated season to your school's history and two BCS games and maybe you can consider yourself close to Boise's level. Or Utah's. Or TCU's.

Regarding this article, I agree with the conference on wearing blue-on-blue-on-blue. Having unique uniforms doesn't create an unfair advantage, but wearing ones that lets safeties hide on the field does. Aside from that, this was one of the most annoying articles I've ever read. We understand that the traditions and emotional ties that go into the design of uniforms don't mean anything to you, but if it means something to the school or city and their fans, then what's the problem? And you're dissing Utah for dedicating a uniform design to fallen soldiers? Classy.

• manaen Buena Park, CA
    Aug. 13, 2011 11:06 a.m.

I offer the following in admiration, not cynicsm.

Five ways to increase revenue are:
    1. Increase prices
    2. Find new customers
    3. Broaden your customers' product purchases: sell them other products from what they already buy
    4. Increase customers' product turnover: replace products more frequently
    5. Increase customers' use of your products, teach new uses

If I were Nike's CFO, I'd hammer at Product Management until they started doing what this article describes.

I believe they're hitting all five revenue raisers:
    1. Prices likely increased for the designer-look artistry now decorating games
    2. Number of fans buying likely increased for the fashionable, i.e. street-appealing, looks that now are coordinatable with more ensemble color schemes
    3. Teams who bought 2 sets of uniforms now they buy many more
    4. With new looks every year, budget-constrained schools -- or sensible, frugal ones -- are under more pressure to replace last years sets of uniforms. Fashion-slave schools replace more sets of uniforms to accommodate this year's wardrobe.
    5. With increased colors, flash and style, each fan can include them in more outfits.

Increased sales not only from hundreds of college teams but thousands of HS teams and millions of fans.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 13, 2011 8:45 a.m.

@clowntown

USC does have good looking uni's. Simple, classic, traditional. They have the same qualities I like about BYU's, Penn States, Notre Dames, and other schools that don't have busy, eye abusing, designs.

If all schools, oregon expecially, would figure this out, it would be alot easier to watch some of them play.

I for one cannot stand watching Boise State games where they wear their blue uniforms on that hideous blue turf. It really puts a strain on my eyes and is visually assaulting. I know the Boise St. people think it is cool but that is simply because they have not advanced past the stage of being a novelty and still think they have to present themselves in in bizarre ways (fits in with all those trick plays they run" to appear relevant. Hopefully that changes as they mature as a program.

• mgr63 DALLAS, TX
    Aug. 13, 2011 8:33 a.m.

Let BSU be smurfs......who cares? It is unique and quite funny actually! Leave BSU alone. Man O man?

• crowntown1 Corona, CA
    Aug. 12, 2011 8:51 p.m.

Sorry Sc's get the nod just about every year. Classic and traditional.

• plyxply SLC, UT
    Aug. 12, 2011 3:22 p.m.

jarka-rus, it's kind of like a business name, if it's in the same state you should be original enough to use a different shade, and I agree with you on Penn State's uni's.

• Fubecao Alexandria, VA
    Aug. 12, 2011 3:13 p.m.

Boise State should wear all-green uniforms at their conference away games.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Aug. 12, 2011 2:28 p.m.

Penn States Uni's are still the best in college football, simple and classic.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Aug. 12, 2011 2:22 p.m.

plyxply | 1:42 p.m. Aug. 12, 2011

Didn't know the Aggies had a patent on the color blue, but whatever. If that's the case the Aggies should give back Penn State's blue, they definitely were using it before USU stole it.
    I do agree with your point on the Utesie red. not sure how you can't match the red color with the jersey, maybe they should just go to pink.

• plyxply SLC, UT
    Aug. 12, 2011 1:42 p.m.

it would be great if the zoobs would go back to their Cougar blue instead of wearing Aggie blue, and if Utah's helmet color actually matched the color of the rest of their uniforms. Can it really be so hard for Utah to get that right after all this time? I realize BYU was desperate to look good and that the original Cougar blue is hideous so they stole the Aggie blue, but come on Utah, have some lady in the athletic department match it up and get on with things.

• Utes21 Salt Lake City, ut
    Aug. 12, 2011 1:30 p.m.

Thompson shouldnt be telling his now best team in the conference what they can and cant do. He should be grateful because he sure messed up the MWC. Besides that turf, even though it looks goofy, is extremly important to the school, players, and fans. This really shouldnt be a big deal.

• uteowl Sunnyvale, CA
    Aug. 12, 2011 11:44 a.m.

This was a hilarious article. I thought the sardonic tone was spot on and I could visualize the beefy players sashaying down the runway as the coach introduces the new fall line.

There's a lot of talk these days of sports brands. Well, if you're going to develop or keep a brand the best way to do it visually is keep things consistent for a while so people get to know with what they're associating. Keep It Simple Stupid.

• Robroy Murray, utah
    Aug. 12, 2011 10:05 a.m.

I too really enjoy the Ute "black out" uniforms. I think last years TCU came is a wonderful example of just how cool they really are. I would suggest that the Utes strongly consider them for every future home game.

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    Aug. 12, 2011 9:50 a.m.

Duckhunter

I was totally thinking about the ugly bib uniforms when I read this article too! I also thought, just like DEW Cougars, that perhaps the ugly blue turf is what should be banned.

• r U Thretton'd Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 12, 2011 9:43 a.m.

Weak article.

It's all about 'swag' and making some extra money.

Also, green jerseys on a green field is NOT the same as blue jerseys on a blue field; that is a weak argument in my opinion.

I wonder if Boise State is regretting going to the MWC? I know I wouldn't be happy about playing on the mtn instead of ESPN and being told what jerseys I can and cannot wear.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    Aug. 12, 2011 9:40 a.m.

Utes need to match the uniform to the Crimson helmet.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    Aug. 12, 2011 9:24 a.m.

I like the blue and red turf. Makes things different. Some people just like to complain, but I think it looks awesome.

I hate how the MWC is making them not wear all blue uniforms. It's home field advantage, you can do what you want! Is it fair that Penn State's fans wear all white? Is it fair Texas A&M writes Home of the 12th Man on their stadium? Is it fair that Wyoming fans come to the game drunk and curse and swear the whole game? It's home court advantage and I think teams should be able to do whatever they want as long as it's reasonable. A lot of it has to do with getting in the mind of the opponent. If blue or red makes you blend into the turf, then way to go for being so smart as to increase your home field advantage.

That being said, it's how good of a program you are that wins games, and not the color of the turf.

• GJ Greenwood, IN
    Aug. 12, 2011 8:54 a.m.

When I heard about the complaints about BSU's uniforms, I wondered if CSU was similarly going to be prevented by the league from wearing green pants and jerseys on home or away fields, since that would give them a similar "advantage".

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 12, 2011 8:53 a.m.

I was really glad when BYU dropped the Gary Crowton era blue, white, and tan uni's with the horrific "bib" and the lame dark helmet. Going back to a much simpler blue and white uniform with the white helmet and minimal adornment on the uni is much better in my opinion.

I actually agree with naval vet on utah's once a year "black out" uni, I think that uni is pretty cool looking although it would lose its coolness if it was an every game thing. I also like the red jersey black pants look utah has. The red really pops out, they just need to change the weird looking helmet color.

But all of those uniform looks for both teams are pretty simple looks, not a bunch of weird designs or contrasting colors. Just straight forward, simple looks.

• Independent Henderson, NV
    Aug. 12, 2011 8:46 a.m.

"Ahh, poor Coach Petersen...welcome to life in the MWC and having to deal with Commissioner Thompson."

And now the rest of the conference can't blame it on BYU.

• Blue Sky Midwest, US
    Aug. 12, 2011 8:16 a.m.

In addition to fashion, college football has another big thing in common with figure skating (and diving, and gymnastics, etc): its champion is determined by judges and computers.

• Red Headed Stranger Billy Bobs, TX
    Aug. 12, 2011 7:43 a.m.

"then got routed like the Republic Guard?"

The Iraqi military organization was known as the Republican Guard.

What the author of the piece failed to note is that College Sports is first and foremost a business. The purpose of the multicolored clothing options is primarily to sell jerseys and to also attract recruits. People (especially younger people) crave novelty. If there are more color options for jerseys, then some people might buy more jerseys. More sold replica jerseys equals more money and more walking (self-paid) for billboards advertising for your university. Get it?

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Aug. 12, 2011 7:29 a.m.

I'm not a big fan of all these elaborate uniform schemes either. I love our "Blackout" unis as a once-a-year fan-favorite gimmick [but HATE the Pro Combat version], but would prefer Utah went back to a more classic style like the one's we wore during our '93 and '94 seasons with the drum and feather on the sleeves.

I would also like to see Utah finally drop the "Scarlet" and go "Crimson" since THAT is our official school color. And because "Crimson" looks better.

Go Utes!

• eagle Provo, UT
    Aug. 12, 2011 1:20 a.m.

What needs to go is the Smurf Turf, not the uniforms. You've hit the big time Boise State because of your play, you don't need blue turf to get people's attention.

• dropout Logan, UT
    Aug. 12, 2011 12:10 a.m.

if the blue on blue makes them invisible why has no one ever complained about teams that wear green on a green field?

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    Aug. 12, 2011 12:03 a.m.

Or get rid of their blue smurf turf. Same with E Wash red smurf which is eye sore.

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    Aug. 11, 2011 11:22 p.m.

"The Mountain West Conference recently announced that the Broncos cannot wear their all-blue uniforms for league home games opposing coaches think it makes them, ahem, invisible on their blue turf field, especially while scouting film. "What we had heard from our coaches is 'a competitive advantage,' " said commissioner Craig Thompson.

Boise State coach Chris Petersen was upset that his team can't wear one of the Broncos' favorite gridiron ensembles. "I thought it was ridiculous," he said."

Good luck, Coach!

I am SO glad both BYU and Utah never have to deal with that stuff again.

Go Cougars!

• flynn is the coolest Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 11, 2011 10:48 p.m.

BYU has a couple games scheduled @ BSU in the near future. Given the fashion option, the cougars should wear blue jerseys and helmets, with black lettering/numbering on both. I don't think BSU would mind- fair's fair right?