Utah

Doug Robinson: Many elderly in Utah have inspiring tales to tell

Comments

• BobP Port Alice, B.C.
    Aug. 9, 2011 1:39 p.m.

I went broke and decided to go teach English in Korea at age 60. I was there for 8 years.

In a senior class in composition I gave an assignment to my students. I set a list of questions in English and they were to go home and interview a parent or a grandparent who had been alive either during the era when the Japanese tried to colonize Korea, or during the Korean war.

The students were hesitant and said the old people didn't want to talk and older Koreans I talked to said the students weren't interested. They were both wrong.

I now have about 30 of the papers which are sitting on my self. Now is the time to transcribe them onto paper. Some of the stories were nothing short of incredible.

Such things as these must be saved and shared. We have heroes in our midst, lets learn from them.

• LValfre CHICAGO, IL
    Aug. 9, 2011 9:49 a.m.

My grandmother who passed away lived the Titanic sinking and all world wars. Really wish I would have talked to her before she passed.

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    Aug. 9, 2011 9:37 a.m.

As a 16 year old I sat with a great uncle one Thanksgiving as he explained the complete workings of the Lehi Sugar Factory. I've since forgotten much of it, which is yet another example of why we should record these things.

• LValfre CHICAGO, IL
    Aug. 9, 2011 9:37 a.m.

@Vine

"Hard dedicated work habits and clean living-is that too much of a hill to climb?"

What does clean living have to do with accomplishing things with your life? Churchill smoke like a chimney and drank like a fish, yet he defeated Hitler. Clean living has nothing to do with success or living a good life and helping others.

• timpClimber Provo, UT
    Aug. 9, 2011 8:55 a.m.

Our LDS ward had the youth interview all those over 70 in the ward and then honored them with a dinner. At the dinner each youth told stories about those they had interviewed. The friendships that were forged through this program benefited everyone and the experienced folks became heros and mentors to the youth.

• StarValley THAYNE, WY
    Aug. 9, 2011 8:20 a.m.

What a wonderful project for this nursing home. Too many times businesses care more about raking in profits than the people they serve. It is a real service to share the lives and examples of their patrons with the younger generation. We can all learn from their histories.

• Vince the boonies, mexico
    Aug. 9, 2011 5:58 a.m.

Where are these kind of stories being lived today? Wake up citizens and get off this greedy fantasy love boat your riding and accomplish something! Hard dedicated work habits and clean living-is that too much of a hill to climb? Forget the freebee's and gifts, go earn them!