BYU football: Enthusiasm dissipates during second practice session

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    Aug. 10, 2011 7:39 a.m.

Uh, oh, that is not a good feeling to see when it only takes one day to see the interest lag. Get fired up.

• The Deuce Livermore, CA
    Aug. 9, 2011 11:14 p.m.

I would rather the Cougars speak softly and let their big talk show on the field, now that they are independent. If I were the coach, I would not be saying anything and keep as low a profile as possible until I was able to prove it on the field. Ever since the annoucement of going independent, all I have heard is what if this, what if that and all the promises of hope. Well, we will all see for real come September.

• texlds Dallas, TX
    Aug. 9, 2011 5:48 p.m.

Anyone know what was the the good news that Bronco couldn't talk about, in the video?

• Broom Hockey Champ Alpine, UT
    Aug. 9, 2011 5:06 p.m.

Actually, while I disagree with CRB on most of what he said, he is right about one thing - potential for QB controversy. However, not for the reasons he states.

I have a friend on the team that has told me as recently as yesterday that there is a group of players on the team that want Nelson to be the QB, not Heaps. It has nothing to do with ability, but has to do with maturity level and leadership ability. Maybe marriage will help Heaps. He certainly has the talent, but lacks in the intangibles.

Aug. 9, 2011 4:19 p.m.

Just produce, and don't say that BYU is or will be something that they are not. Humility has never been shown by BYU fans, ever. Now, after many years of relative mediocrity people should listen? It gets really old. Utah did have two perfect seasons recently. And, I'm grateful that we did, especially when we pounded BYU into submission in 04-08'. Your comparisons are so funny. During the 1930s Utah beat BYU every year and BYU didn't score one touchdown against Utah the whole decade, and in only one year did they score two field goals to finish with only 6 points.......the entire decade. !984's debacle is over and we now live in the 21st century and BYU has done very little and Utah has done some significant things......only what BYU "dreams" of doing these days. Let's talk on 9-18-11 and see where we are at my friend. Cheers!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 9, 2011 4:12 p.m.

Boy that was excellent analysis. Are you sure you don't right for Street and Smiths, SI, Rivals, or any of the other football media? I mean you just obviously know so much more than any of those idiots that ranked Heaps the #1 qb recruit in the country. You just have to set all of those morons straight as they predict a very big year for him this year.

Same with all of the dunce coaches of the teams that will face him that think he is pretty good. Obviously they haven't confided in you or they would know better.

I'm really glad I read your post because I was actually getting optimistic Heaps might be pretty good but now...well let's just say I'm going on Lark alert full time.

• Starfarer Mesa, AZ
    Aug. 9, 2011 3:52 p.m.

You claim that you have the right to talk trash because your team went through a perfect season. You claim that you get to be the police of what BYU fans can say on comment boards because your team won BCS games. You claim that we BYU fans should be humble and submit to utah fans because we are not as good as you or have what you have simply because you won two BCS games 3 and 7 years ago.

Have I got it so far?

Let's agree on one more thing. Ask any coach and they will tell you, you are only as good as your last game. Last season is for tradition but has no baring on what you do this season.

Whether it is 1984 or 2008, both seasons are ancient history in the eyes of anyone who follows football.

But back to your logic. Do you believe or are you just lame?

Who was first to go undefeated? BYU or Utah?

Who has a NC? (Who was consensus NC in all three polls?) THE BCS exists because of BYU.

Under your own logic. You should be real quiet now.

Aug. 9, 2011 3:41 p.m.

@Johnny Danger,

Wow, what a comparison.......?Oh my goodness? The Utep QB was in a leg cast and had suffered a bad finger dislocation in their last regular season game when he played in the ABQ toilet bowl, against a suspect BYU squad. Let us see if BYU can beat Ole Miss, UT and the Utes......then start talking. I look forward to your posts on 9-18-11. Cheers!

• JonnyDanger HOUSTON, TX
    Aug. 9, 2011 3:22 p.m.

I was just looking back at some stats from last year... UTEP played Arkansas in Arkansas towards the end of the season. Mighty SEC, highly drafted QB, stout defense (ok, Arkansas isn't the stoutest of SEC defenses...). Any guesses?

58-21, Arkansas. Ryan Mallett threw for 215 yards and 5 touchdowns and the Arkansas defense held UTEP to 355 total yards (117 on the ground).

Compared to BYU's bowl game: 52-24 BYU. Jake Heaps threw for 264 yards and 4 touchdowns and the BYU defense held UTEP to 233 yards (-12 on the ground).

Arkansas played in a BCS game last year... I'm just saying :)

Go Cougars!!

Aug. 9, 2011 2:50 p.m.

YES sir I certainly will eat my words, never comment again and never post on the D News ever again if BYU goes to a BCS game. You have my word on that sir. Until then, while BYU fans boast, forecast ridiculous expectations, finalities, scores, glory, etc......MGR63 will be around. Is that fair my friend? Just win BYU, "perfection," like the Utes did in 04-8'. Very simple request. Now, be humble Y fans and hope for the best like we Utes do. You have nothing to brag about in this day and age(21st century) of Div1 football at all. Cheers!

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    Aug. 9, 2011 2:21 p.m.

Re: Papa Smurf UTE

I don't know that they were saying they were the best speed rushers in the country. But they are going up against basically the best left tackle in the country which can make them AMONG the best in the country. That's what I think they were saying.

• Starfarer Mesa, AZ
    Aug. 9, 2011 2:03 p.m.

if we win will you shut up?

• Flame of the West Southern, Cali
    Aug. 9, 2011 2:01 p.m.

mgr63...BYU's biggest fan.

Why don't you spend your time and energy supporting your other favorite team?

Please just go away and let us poor BYU fans wallow in our misery for not being invited to the big dance - uh, I mean to the NC club, oops, I meant the PAC 12 Conference of Champions with two ranked teams this season.

typical Ute

• Broom Hockey Champ Alpine, UT
    Aug. 9, 2011 1:56 p.m.

One of my friends is on the team and he told me that there is a contingency of players that thinks that Riley should be the QB. Some players don't like that Heaps ran off and got married and think that Riley is a better leader and more mature than Heaps.

• Starfarer Mesa, AZ
    Aug. 9, 2011 1:52 p.m.

"the hand" really?

"football past(sp?)you on"

How many times is BYU on TV this season?

If BYU got the hand, what did utah get? (ouch!~)

Independence suits me fine and I don't have to post on utah articles to prove it is superior to what your throwing. I will let it stand on its own and we will see at the end of the season who got passed.

No worries...cheers

Aug. 9, 2011 1:37 p.m.

Again BYU fans, just win, like the Utes did.......the "quest for perfection" accomplished twice in the 21st century. If you you do that, you may be relevant again? Utah didn't win a NC and shouldn't have....strength of schedule without question, no worries here. But, we did crush a 11-1, #3 ranked Alabama team in a crimson tide friendly "Big Easy" Sugar Bowl and not an injury-riddled 6-5 Michigan squad with late-game heroics in the early, Holiday Bowl......then the trophy was yours? Good for you, because that is all you have these days.....1984. I like Utah's chances and PAC-12 affiliation.....actually, I see a sense of real potential for great reasons. I wish y'all at BYU the best.

Aug. 9, 2011 1:23 p.m.

@Ru thret

Are you kidding me? BYU was lobbying every BCS conference like lightning. Tom Holmoe was working the phone like a caped crusader. I remember watching on the tv Big 12 news when everything went down. A reporter asked the Big 12 director about BYU being considered to join.....he said one word......"no." And, that was it. I wish BYU and their fans the best. With all things considered, the negative feedback and exclusion, they have put together quite an amazing situation for their school that truly represents what they are capable of. Their fans will enjoy their wins and the team will always have a dream to pursue. Good luck BYU.

Aug. 9, 2011 1:11 p.m.

Yes, Utah was second to UT in choice by the PAC-12. Texas is one of the greatest teams/schools in history......no worries here. BYU got shown the "hand" by every conference.......not one call back. Utah is in the big time regardless and BYU is playing WAC teams again.......gotta give you great memories of 84'. Liv'n in the past is BYU's mode, because football past you on...... Cheers!

• Fry ARVADA, CO
    Aug. 9, 2011 1:09 p.m.

"I think our team was not as excited to practice as they were on Saturday."-Pony Boy.

It's going to be a ruff start coogs if you're already feeling this way.

Go Utes!

• Starfarer Mesa, AZ
    Aug. 9, 2011 12:14 p.m.

r U Thretton'd

Funny that you call me out, but say nothing about mgr63 tirades.

Are you offended?

I don't think BYU is going to be part of a BCS conference including the Big 12 any time soon. I am hoping that the BCS will implode under the weight of its corruption soon. But I am not holding my breath.

I do not doubt the choice to be independent. If that means we never get to play in a BCS game, so be it. I hate to break it to all the ute trolls, the BCS is one game out of 13! I don't live for the bowl games. I enjoy all the games. It is more important to me that I get to SEE the games, than sell my soul to have a BCS game.

I sat through every home game of the dismal Roger Reid Era of BYU basketball. I did it because I am a BYU fan. The GAMES were important. Not the final game of the season. You can tell me that my team will never win another game, and I will still watch.

Because I am a fan. And this it what fans do.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Aug. 9, 2011 12:13 p.m.

MGR 63
    Since you just showed up here recently, what handle were you commenting under before. Sure sounds familiar. Did you get chased off before?
    Pitt finished ranked 25th in the country. Yes BYU has not been to a BCS bowl. But they do have several national championship trophies on campus. One from each major poll...or, unanimous. They have beaten many good teams in the past and will contiune to do that. You say they can't get and don't have the talent. If you take a gander at the 2012 draft class rankings at any of the major sites, you will see that BYU is ranked higher than U know who....Uh Oh...Someone is getting better recruits despite what the less intelligent posters predicted. So...I guess they do have the talent, happily...I guess sadly for you. Anyone who says they know what is going to happen in the future eliminates any credibility they may have here or anywhere else and identifies themself as a "not too bright" person.

• r U Thretton'd Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 9, 2011 11:48 a.m.

You take things waaaayyyy to personally.

"How does it feel to now be part of the great corrupt BCS, taht will not only deny BYU, but ANY team not part of the "club?"

utah once stood as a beacon for the rest of the non-BCS, and yes I admired them and rooted for them in their BCS games.

now that they have been bought out. they mean nothing to me." (sic)

BYU would likely take a BCS invite in a second. What will you say if BYU joins the BIG 12? You're just looking for a reason to be offended.

• 1984 for life Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 9, 2011 11:46 a.m.

You think the enthusiasm is dissipating during the 2nd practice of the season, wait until an October and November full of WAC teams on the schedule.

• Independent Henderson, NV
    Aug. 9, 2011 11:24 a.m.

I'm not saying that BYU can't win either of their first two games. I'm just saying that I'll believe it when I see it. Winning on the road against big-name opponents is not exactly BYU's strength.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Aug. 9, 2011 11:19 a.m.

@ mgr63

Utah hasn't been in the WAC for years. Did you forget the MWC? I suppose you did.

How was the UNLV game in Las Vegas a few years ago---let's see, wasn't it 27 - 0 for UNLV and Whittingham said "I don't know why we lost?" I think that's correct if you want to check it out.

How'd the mighty #8 Utes do last year, after they met TCU, Norte Dame and Boise State? They were about as resistive as wet toilet paper.

Of course you make fun of BYU's practices, but at least they are smart enough to not swallow a wasp and get stung by it. TOO FUNNY!!!

Don't let that Dallas heat get to ya----I know Sept 10th is going to disappoint you, as well as Sept 17th, but that's the way the ball bounces, huh?

• Starfarer Mesa, AZ
    Aug. 9, 2011 11:15 a.m.

I can't believe that you allow mgr63 to spout off but deny my comment?

• Starfarer Mesa, AZ
    Aug. 9, 2011 11:05 a.m.

"...is win, then you won't have to say much......"

Funny, cause you're always talking, not about utah's wins, but how BYU can't win.

I also find it funny that being the second choice, and the last choice to enter the PAC 10.2 is "evolving."

Evolving into what exactly? A willing partner in the system that denied you a chance to play for the NC in 04 and 08? A starry eye'd doughboy in a corrupt system that figured out what the mob has known for years, when someone starts to win the fight against corruption find a way to "Buy" them into the corrupt system?

now that they have been bought out. they mean nothing to me.

Aug. 9, 2011 10:40 a.m.

All I have to say cougar fans is win, then you won't have to say much......but you will. No more glory talk......just win and guys like me will have to eat what we say. But, you just don't have the talent to get into a BCS bowl, and never will. So, until that time, we Utes will try to get better, laugh at BYU, enjoy our big games every week and just maybe we'll see a NC game? I'm hoping for the best and have good reason to believe that the Utes will be a factor again soon. I'm just thrilled Utah evolved and I don't have to follow a WAC schedule again.......enjoy!

Aug. 9, 2011 10:32 a.m.

@ TJ,

Pitt had the 6th ranked defense in the nation in 2004 and was ranked #14 going into that game. Utah absolutely pounded Pitt. My point is that Utah has played BCS bowl games and has dominated their opponents. BYU hasn't seen the shadow of a BCS bowl, let alone play in, or win one. And, I honestly don't see them ever playing in one. They just struggle against good teams and are awful, lose most games against good teams on the road. They just don't have the talent, sadly. Additionally, after noticing their schedules that are shaping up in future years.......BYU will never go 12-0 or 11-1 ever again.....hence, no BCS bowl. Just not going to happen.

• Starfarer Mesa, AZ
    Aug. 9, 2011 10:26 a.m.

Nice Try. Let's just wait and see.

I have full confidence in Jake. So much so that I don't need to go to a utah article to comment and try to put down your QB to make mine look better.

• morganh Orem, Utah
    Aug. 9, 2011 10:21 a.m.

I would not call Van Noy one of the best speed rushers in the Country, but he has tremendous ability and those naysayers out there could be very surprised when he gives BYU's opponents fits this year. Keep in mind he turned down Boise State, Cal, ASU and others to play in Provo. By the end of his career he could be as good as Misi or Sylvester. Can't wait to see Van Noy this year. Go Cougars!!

Aug. 9, 2011 10:18 a.m.

I agree papa smurf. BYU, against good teams, offers almost no pass rush unless it is within blitzing packages. BYU plays pretty good team defense when Bronco is at the helm. I remember the infamous "street fighter" now, Jan Jorgensen, a boastful BYU player without merit, get absolutely shut down numerous times and not by double teams on him. Yeah, the likes of a "Jerry Hughes" BYU will never see on their roster in my lifetime. BYU is a competent mid-major team that will be able to schedule many winning seasons.......but a prominent, "winning" national program, a BCS bowl? No way. But, they will give their LOYAL fans a great show in their WAC home games.....so it is all good.

• Starfarer Mesa, AZ
    Aug. 9, 2011 10:18 a.m.

I love how you are the end all, know all, of what BYU can or cannot do.

Did you take a ride with Marty Mcfly or something?

I love how since we were not strong enough in the past, that we are predetermined not not to win in the future. So is it true that utah, since they got clobbered in their last bowl game will never win another bowl game again? Or how about this. Since the SEC is always the best conference, let's just pass the NC trophy around those teams only, since, in your logic, everyone is predetermined to do exactly what they have done in the past.

Do you even understand college football at all? Do you not understand that the players are transitory? Teams change, people graduate.

BYU is capable of winning all their games this year, but I'm sure that you, all the way over in TX, know more than anyone else. You must have a huge set of binoculars.

• Papa Smurf UTE Herriman, UT
    Aug. 9, 2011 10:16 a.m.

This year I am feeling it too. The Y will be undefeated, but it will only be in their last 5 games of the season. They will not be 12-0. They could be 10-2, or 9-3, but they will not be 12-0. You can take that to the bank. A 10-2 season would be great their 1st year in independence. Then with St Jake coming back in 2012, they could build on that, with their weak schedule again, and then maybe go 11-1 or 12-0. I doubt that will happen either, but you just never know. Here's to a great game on Spet 17th. GO UTES!

• riddlemethis Clearfield, UT
    Aug. 9, 2011 10:11 a.m.

BYU's enthusiasm may have dissipated during practice, but U fans enthusiasm for all things BYU hasn't.

K Whit does the coach speak thing too: "competitive nature" "as far as that group is concerned" "continued improvement" "like what we see"

And as far as winning bowl game after Bowl game: I like Girlse State's chances to get to 3 bowl wins in a row this year.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Aug. 9, 2011 10:08 a.m.

Actually Utah has only thumped one quality opponent in a BCS bowl game. Alabama was a very good team. Pittsburgh finished the 2004 season with an 8-4 record and a #25 national ranking. Solid, but not really BCS worthy was it?
    BYU fans appreciate your concern about our season, our secondary and pretty much everything BYU since you offer your opinion on every BYU article...usually more than once(can you say obsessed?).
    I am particularly interested in your comment that BYU won't accomplish anything worthy of hanging your hat on. Do you use the same crystal ball as hedgie and crisb? Cause it really hasn't been working for them.
    yes, BYU is playing Idaho State along with several other weak teams. The same thing U did twice to get to bcs games. Maybe it will work out for BYU too. They also play two top 25(pre-season) teams and another one in the top 30. U?. BYU probably has the easier schedule but not by much. You only play a couple of PAC teams who had winning records last year. Maybe the U will go undefeated again with such a weak schedule and BCS bowl again.

• CRB Woods Cross, UT
    Aug. 9, 2011 10:06 a.m.

Watch for the QB controversy to start before the end of September. BYU did deceptively well against poor competition late in the season last year by taking the ball OUT of Heaps hands with their running game (which only worked against the lesser teams) and keeping Heaps passes to the first option at around 5 yards. Heaps cost BYU the Utah game in the first half when they had numerous opportunities for short field drives with Utah miscues. Heaps couldn't drive the team most of the year. Sure there were moments like the one drive in the Utah game but these were exceptions. He looks exactly like Utah's third string QB Shreve making all the mental mistakes and he has started numerous games. Nelson is still the best QB and you may see him take the ball frequently out of Heaps hands as well. Remember Nelson's heroics in the Washington game were the only reason BYU got a bowl last year. Bottom line, Heaps as a dropback slow QB with questionable accuracy beyond 10 yards and can't go through reads or throw on the run is not even the right QB for their system. Lark should be ready.

Aug. 9, 2011 9:49 a.m.

BYU will not win either of their first two road games. It won't happen. They are not strong enough against good teams against the run and Ole Miss and Texas will run all over the cougs, control the clock and the BYU defense will wilt in the heat. FSU, an OK team, absolutely dominated BYU last year in the Florida climate. It will prove to be true again. Then, they get to play Utah, which BYU in the last 15 years has struggled with immensely and have been crushed by the Utes a few times. So, your quest to be undefeated?????? Not a chance! But, you'll end up with a winning season thanks to the WAC schedule of home games......so you'll be able to smile somewhat in the end. Good luck.

• Papa Smurf UTE Herriman, UT
    Aug. 9, 2011 9:36 a.m.

That is a GAS! Van Noy and JP 2 of the best speed rushers in the country. Matt Reynolds is a great player, & will be a top pick in the 2012 draft, but to call Van Noy & JP 2 of the best in the country is one of the funniest things I have heard all summer. Dont get me wrong, I think that they are both good players, but there are better players than them on many teams in the nation. I dont think UTAH'S O line, or even Ol Miss or Texas' O line will have a problem with either on of those guys. Yes, on one occasion or another they might get a sack or two. Neither of them will be a problem like Jerry Hughes, (who I know played the D line and not line backer) even Stevenson Sylvester and Koa Misi were better pass rushers than JP & Van Noy. Misi started as a rookie in the NFL, and Sly made the Steelers D, and played a lot on special teams, & got some mop up duty as a rookie. They may become great, but for now, they are just good. Best speed rushers, HA!

• Kouger Lehi, UT
    Aug. 9, 2011 9:29 a.m.

Honestly I personally did not feel it the last several years! This year I'm feeling it! We'll see...

• Mildred in Fillmore Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 9, 2011 9:01 a.m.

Wow, Justin Sorensen kicked a 45 yard field goal. He will be the best kicker in the Independant Conference.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    Aug. 9, 2011 9:00 a.m.

Interesting article. Sounds like the running around traffic cones and hitting tractor tires with hammers this past Saturday has mentally killed the team. Let's hope bronko can work on the teams mental fortitude...I think they'll try to wear pads in a week or two.

• truthsandwich RANDOLPH, UT
    Aug. 9, 2011 8:53 a.m.

"Why do I feel that BYU is going to be UNDEFEATED this season? I can certainly feel it, anyone else feeling it too?"

Yes Kouger. Every BYU fan is feeling it too, just like they did last pre-season. And the one before, and the one before that...

Aug. 9, 2011 8:40 a.m.

@ Y Grad,

When is BYU going to get in a BCS bowl and thump a quality opponent in that game like Utah has done twice? Probably never. BYU's dubious bowl record and Utah ran 8 bowl wins in a row in recent years. They lost to a great BSU team without Wynn able to play and still held lethal BSU to 28 points. Enjoy whatever you get, because it won't be anything to hang your hat on......... for a long time. Maybe we can watch the Idaho St game together......that will be a compelling contest.

• Kouger Lehi, UT
    Aug. 9, 2011 8:18 a.m.

Why do I feel that BYU is going to be UNDEFEATED this season? I can certainly feel it, anyone else feeling it too? Go COUGARS!

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Aug. 9, 2011 7:56 a.m.

So... would that mean that BYU may have your permission to talk, as they have won "one bowl game after another?" Might I also presume that Utah fans will cease talking for at least two years, having lost their last bowl game rather embarrassingly, and it will take them at least two years to win another "one bowl game after another?"

Aug. 9, 2011 7:25 a.m.

As I've said on other threads, the new BYU secondary is surely giving up a lot of completed passes by Heaps and Nelson. It will be interesting to see how that pans out......could be a major issue?

• Flames6 North Salt Lake, UT
    Aug. 9, 2011 6:54 a.m.

ChrisB is always under fire for prognostication. Cougs have two games before September 17th also,remember? Can't wait to see the preseason favorite defense in action. Maybe they can live up to the hype for once.

• UgottaloveMaxie SLC, UT
    Aug. 8, 2011 11:27 p.m.

But I thought they are "always ready" "always high level of intensity," "execution" "fundamentals" "family" etc etc etc blah blah blah blah watching interviews is funny. Just go out and win and then talk after the season when you win bowl games one after another.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Aug. 8, 2011 10:37 p.m.

You can't survive on hype forever. Eventually hard work is the order of the day. And after a successful practice there's that qiet, self-satisfaction knowing you performed well.

• BYUHOCKEY American Fork, UT
    Aug. 8, 2011 10:11 p.m.

Outstanding. Keep up the Great work Cougars!!!

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Aug. 8, 2011 8:44 p.m.

Love the intensity between Reynolds and Van Noy. This spirited competition will make the Cougs better and get them ready for some tough early season competition. Our LBs may be the best 7 or 8 we've ever had as a group.

I hope Wynn is durable enough to get through the USC game. I don't want the Utes to blame their loss in week 3 on their 2nd string QB. With the Utes offensive line, Wynn is going to be feeling the heat from the Cougar front seven. Wynn, I'd like you to meet Uona - you're going to be seeing a lot of him on Sept 17.

I'm surprise I haven't read much about Preston Hadley in camp after Bronco's positive comments about him in the Spring. Joe Sampson will be a valuable addition to the DBs. Once he learns the defense, he'll be a big asset with his speed. But it sounds like Sorenson, Uale, Eason and Buckner have the edge.

If Corbin keeps growing, Rose is going to recruit him to the basketball team.