Sports

Dick Harmon: Brandon Doman shows off a new, dynamic offense

Comments

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    Aug. 8, 2011 3:22 p.m.

@ Where's Stockton ???,

I was adding my viewpoint to what you were saying about Anae's play calling.

My point is that neither Riley nor Heaps was experienced enough in the system to make good, effective changes at the line to override Anae's mundane calls.

They did well with what they had to work with, and both are quite intelligent---they just were not experienced enough last year.

I totally agree with what you've been saying, though.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    Aug. 8, 2011 2:39 p.m.

@WhatsInItForMe

Am I supposed to be reading something into this comment of yours... If I am then admittedly I'm not sure of your intent. My comments in my previous post referenced however... if taken logically... would obviously include intelligence as just as an important part of athleticism as coordination, agility and endurance. To even speculate that it doesn't... would be totally misplaced. Neither Heaps nor Riley Nelson are lacking in intelligence by no means and both highly capable of reading defenses. Nullifying "dull play calling" might not neccessarily be my choice in wording but there is no argument that a good Quarterback will read and make changes accordingly...

I totally agree that not going with one or the other as the designated starter from the get go did in fact hurt the team. However as the season proceeded after Nelson's injury removed him from the picture... it still was the predictability of the Anae factor that still outweighed all other factors when it came to hindering the overall progression and development of the offense. He just simply didn't do much to change the variables. He didn't have a very good contingency network to fall back on. Therein was the problem.

• JonnyDanger HOUSTON, TX
    Aug. 8, 2011 1:05 p.m.

I'm excited to shake things up. I am in Mississippi for the summer for an internship, and let me tell you...it is hot! I hope they turn up the heat for a few practices in that indoor practice facility! That being said, the heart and soul of our defense this year from a personnel perspective (and from the last half of last year-read BRONCO-from a scheme perspective) will be our run defense. Ole Miss' strength on offense will be their run game. If we can't match up there, then all the hype is for nothing. I think we'll be ok though.
    Texas' main goal this year is also to establish their run game. Bronco showed against Oklahoma a few years ago that he can stop a potent offense if he sticks to his scheming. If anything we will be susceptible to deep balls with an inexperienced secondary, but as long as we can hold two out of every three possessions our offense will be pretty hard to stop. Even for (hopefully) TCU, who has had Anae's game-plan the last few years!
    GO COUGS!!

• Sandpiper Air Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 8, 2011 9:19 a.m.

Honor Code needs new material.

• giantfan Farmington, UT
    Aug. 8, 2011 8:27 a.m.

Re: Pittsburgh Nellie

Utah went from the Poinsettia Bowl in 2007 to the Sugar Bowl in '08 (Jan. 2009). That's about as "over night" as it gets.

• Pittsburgh Nellie CLEARFIELD, UT
    Aug. 8, 2011 7:35 a.m.

"Good news from camp! Very tantalizing to hear about the new offense. Hope with hard work it all comes together so "magic happens". "

"With Heaps triggering the offense and Doman calling the shots, this could be the most exciting offense BYU has had since McMahon and company were lighting up the scoreboard in 1980. "

Whooooooooooooooooa. Easy guys. Let's take the glasses off for a minute and come back to reality. Knee-jerk comments in response to the article. Let's keep in mind that a team doesn't go from NM Bowl to BCS game over night. I think the optimism is good to have, but let's all keep perspective here.

• Honor Code Denver, Colorado
    Aug. 8, 2011 5:48 a.m.

I can't wait for BYU to play those WAC teams and kick them all over the field!!

• Outsideview Federal Way, WA
    Aug. 7, 2011 11:53 p.m.

I love the part about copying Boise States offense and style. I have been suggesting that for some time now. I only hope it is true and not typical BYU hype.

We will see how it goes.

• TMung99 Bluffdale, Utah
    Aug. 7, 2011 10:31 p.m.

You know how I know Anae was a horrible offensive coordinator (besides his predictability, struggles against athletic defenses?

Ute trolls are defending him...

@mgr63
    New year, new coaches... It's why we are so enthusiastic. Bringing up games during a struggling time last year doesn't validate your argument. It's going to be a fun year of college football for both the Utes and Cougs as they head off into a new direction away from the Mountain West

• mgr63 DALLAS, TX
    Aug. 7, 2011 10:30 p.m.

@FL Cougar.

I just looked up the box score and it was as I expected, remembered vaguely. FSU 278 yards rushing, BYU 76. FSU scored 21 points in the second half, BYU 0. That is what heat will do. And, FSU was not that great last year. Anyway, we'll see what happens at Ole Miss and UT. But, BYU had better run the ball, that simple. Cheers sir.

• mgr63 DALLAS, TX
    Aug. 7, 2011 10:15 p.m.

@FL Cougar,

BYU got hammered in Tallahassee last year 38-10 and FSU ran all over BYU. BYU was awful! That is exactly what I'm talking about. BYU can't play in that heat, they did cramp up and it will be hotter at Ole Miss and UT. At least in Florida there is a breeze.......not here......dead, stale air.

Houston Nutt has his job on the line and Mack Brown is really embarrassed how badly Texas played last year. Texas will be fired up......it is all over the news here in Dallas every day. Ole Miss and UT will be ready. Plus, they have much better athletes than BYU. BYU will struggle......trust me.

• utah by5 York, PA
    Aug. 7, 2011 9:55 p.m.

BYU fans are crazy the way they kill Anae - BYU would have been hopeless under Bronco without Anae! Bronco's ego was just to big to be able to work with a take charge guy like Anae. When things turn bad you need a guy that is steady and a strong leader it will be interesting to see if Doman Can be that guy. I think BYU has some great offensive talent but I am interested to see how they handle adversity because they will have some tough moments in there first three games.

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    Aug. 7, 2011 9:25 p.m.

@ Where's Stockton - 9:07am Aug 7

I'll bet the QBs had a lot to do with nullifying some of Anae's dull play calling, especially in check-offs. You know, changing the call at the line?

The problem simply reared its ugly head when two inexperienced QBs were at the helm last year.

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 9:00 p.m.

@riddlesinthedark

Hilarious post, man! I was thinking the same thing when I read Just Gordon's post...couldn't tell if he was talking about BYU or Utah.

Just Gordon...you just got Jimmered :)

@mgr63

That scary hot and humid weather...I'm sure the team's really worried about (roll my eyes). I'll give you this, mgr...that was some new material.

Luckily, we've got the depth to rotate two to three players for each position and not drop off in talent. Can the Utes say the same? From the sounds of it, the O-line, QB, and secondary are all very suspect for U right now.

Go Cougars!

• FL Cougar PENSACOLA, FL
    Aug. 7, 2011 8:57 p.m.

I agree that playing in the heat will be a factor, but I don't think it will be a big one. I saw the game in Tallahassee last year (it was a hot one, as they all are down here in September), and I thought our guys handled it fairly well. When teams start to have guys down with cramps and such, you know they're not conditioned well enough to take the heat. Our O-line is leaner and the whole team seems to be in better shape, so we'll do just fine.

Ole Miss and Texas have one big strike against them this season: they and their fans do not think they have good teams. Football is an emotional sport, and a game with two teams that are even matched will always be won by the team that wants it more. Texas and Ole Miss might be standing around with their hands on their hips, but it won't be from conditioning, it'll be because they don't have all of the pieces of the puzzle in place this year. When they run into the buzz-saw that will be BYU this year, count on them to lay it down.

• mgr63 DALLAS, TX
    Aug. 7, 2011 8:38 p.m.

@Panama

Cowboy stadium is climate controlled brother Panama! Hahahahahahaha! OH my? You coug fans are so amazing! Ole Miss and UT are outdoor stadiums...........and it will be so hot at both places, you'll see.........we're dying here in Dallas.... 37 days in a row over 100 and HUMID. Better be able to control the clock cougars.......run the ball, if you can, or else!

• JustGordon Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 8:23 p.m.

Riddles...I doubt it...but you are entitled to your fantasies.

• panamadesnews Lindon, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 7:26 p.m.

mgr63
    The humidity didn't seem to bother BYU in the inaugural game in the new Cowboys stadium in Dallas - why should it now? Also, if the Utes can surprise Alabama in a BCS game, BYU can surely come to the South and beat a Big 12 and an SEC team in the first two games of the season. You can count on it - mark it down. I guarantee it! I even think BYU goes 11-0, then travels to Hawaii, but this time will be different than when Detmer & Co went there and lost. BYU will be ready, this time, and it will be a blowout loss for Hawaii. BYU plays in a BCS game, and wins. BYU 13-0. That is my prediction. You Utah trolls don't have to like it, but I do. That is all that matters!

• WestGranger West Valley City, Utah
    Aug. 7, 2011 7:22 p.m.

Offense sounds like it is in for a good year. Let's hope they pick the new system up quickly enough to be ready for their tough early competition. If it is complicated as it seems it might take a while. Having the good O.L. and returning starters could be the difference in a great season.

• mgr63 DALLAS, TX
    Aug. 7, 2011 6:15 p.m.

Also, BYU has to travel to the hot and humid south for their first two road games playing against SEC and Big 12 talent. Who cares how many great throws Heaps makes in camp, doesn't matter. They had better be able to run the ball, because Ole Miss with the #1 SEC O-line this year and Texas will run the ball all over BYU's very suspect defense. And, they may even pass against that new Y secondary as well with success? If they(BYU) don't run the ball well and control the clock, the BYU defense will get exhausted in the hot weather for sure.......game over. Then, they have to face the Utes, which is never an easy task for BYU in this century.

I would speak very softly cougar fans until the wins come your way, if they do? I know that wish is expecting way too much though. The talk of "glory" never ceases, sadly.

• TheSportsAuthority Arlington, VA
    Aug. 7, 2011 6:11 p.m.

"Doman counseled with Beck, Hall and Detmer for offensive plays? None of those guys have done anything in the NFL."

Gee, this is a toughy, but could it have something to do with the fact that BYU doesn't play in the NFL?

Two of the all time winningest quarterbacks in BYU history and a former Heisman Trophy winner just might know a little about college football.

btw, how much NFL playing experience does Norm Chow have? How much college coaching experience did Chow have when he started coaching at BYU?

It's amazing how clueless our friends on the hill are about the real workings of college football.

• PAC-12 Envy Taylorsville, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 6:03 p.m.

I love how Cougar fans don't understand that Anae's "conservative" play calling was designed to develop, but more importantly protect an inexperienced QB.

Dynamic offenses tend to expose the QB to blitzing DBs.

It will be interesting to see how Heaps reacts to being laid out by his first blindside hit from a blitzing DB.

• panamadesnews Lindon, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 6:01 p.m.

Don't even have a second thought about these Ute trolls' comments. They are just trying to foment trouble and unease. They want us to become negative in our thinking, hoping it will have some effect on the members of the team. We need to stay positive, very positive. Let's not play their game. BYU will be just fine. In fact I think they will be great. Just wait and see. Also, we need not be negative at all about something the media says. They want to drum up controversy, even those that are BYU reporters. That is what sells papers.

• Riddles in the Dark Olympus Cove, Utah
    Aug. 7, 2011 6:00 p.m.

"A new offensive scheme, an untried offensive coordinator, a quarterback who hasn't won against top ranked teams...yes good times are ahead."

Have faith; Wynn might still prove to be a serviceable quarterback and Chow might still have a little bit left in the tank.

Neither of them will have as good of a season as Heaps and Doman, but Utah might still qualify for a bowl game.

• panamadesnews Lindon, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 5:53 p.m.

To whatnext and others: Don't worry. Bronco will have the defense ready. I think that BYU's defense may been used to defending the "old" schemes from Anae's years of being the offensive coordinator, so when they started seeing new schemes, they may have been a little confused, as they practiced against the "new" offensive schemes. That is a good thing. It shows just what we want - to be able to confuse the opponents defense. Bronco's is one of the best, so if the offense can confuse them a little bit, that is a positive thing. It won't last long. Why worry about something like this after just one practice!

• mgr63 DALLAS, TX
    Aug. 7, 2011 5:50 p.m.

Doman counseled with Beck, Hall and Detmer for offensive plays? None of those guys have done anything in the NFL. Why doesn't he contact Steve Young or Jim McMahon? Those two have Superbowl rings! Yeah, this new offense will just be outstanding with the likes of Max Hall's input? Oh my goodness? Bronco had to put Hall in damage control mode he was so turnover prone, still is, as he rides the pine with the Arizona Cardinals, soon to be released no less. BYUs "new" defensive backfield should be every cougar's concern coming into the 2011 season. That is what will be the determining factor against decent teams.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 5:22 p.m.

Gary Crowton had a new dynamic offense also... that worked out well.

• JustGordon Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 4:44 p.m.

• whatnext Clearfield, Utah
    Aug. 7, 2011 3:38 p.m.

I like what is being said about the offense, but I'm a little concerned about the defense. I hope the confusion they showed at times during their practice with the offense is not an indication of how they will do during the season.

• SammyB Provo, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 3:03 p.m.

Some of you read that article differently than I did. Doman did not say he was moving to a passing game. He said he was going to mix it up...make it unpredictable. I believe we do need to pass more than we have been, but I feel he is smart enough to keep the running game moving forward also.

For the last few years my number one gripe has been the predictable offense. I am off the charts excited that this is happening.

• Hawkyo SYRACUSE, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 1:57 p.m.

I agree with many of you that we need to focus on both run and pass schemes in order to proper confuse and intimidate defenses. The reason the pass worked so well in the beginning with Warren, was because no one really knew how to defend against it, and ironically, if you'll remember, that passing attack created the nation's leading rusher Pete Van Valkenburg. It takes more intelligence and planning to play football now than it did back then. When you have a full arsenal of weapons to run and pass, you do both! It's the fun way to play. Oh man I'll die if this season doesn't begin soon!

• Farid @ Pocatello Pocatello, ID
    Aug. 7, 2011 1:10 p.m.

I agree with Idablue that the balanced attack is the most effective. That doesn't mean I didn't enjoy the 70's and 80's and all those 55 pass-attempt games. But two problems emerge with that kind of offense:

First, when BYU came up against teams with above average secondaries, they usually lost because they were dared to run and couldn't. In other words, they had no "Plan-B."

Second, there is no way that BYU will be able to successfully recruit top running backs like Curtis Brown, Harvey Unga and Joshua Quezeda when they will be limited to a handful of draw plays and receptions out of the backfield. So they end up with lesser quality backs and are then forced to pass more. It's a vicious circle.

While those Dewey Warren days (actually, just one year) were fun, I'd much rather have an offense that can pass for 300 yards and have a running back that can run for 100 yards in a game. I don't want to see those 550 passing yard games any more.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Aug. 7, 2011 11:47 a.m.

I think modern college football has shown us that a balanced attack is the most effective. Leaning to your strengths (pass or run) is fine but it is important for BYU (a passing team) maintain a decent running game to keep the opposition off balance. Hopefully BYU will use the run in a more unpredictable way. Last year you could pretty much guarantee that the 1st down play would be a run up the middle, 2nd down a run or 2 yd pass, and 3rd down a 2yd pass.

• TheSportsAuthority Arlington, VA
    Aug. 7, 2011 11:19 a.m.

The reason Bronco elevated Brandon to OC is becoming apparent. With a wealth of talented players, Brandon is setting the table for a very exciting, very agressive, and very productive offense. No more sitting on the ball at the 20 and counting on a 37-yard FG try to win the game for you.

• Cougar_Independence OMAHA, NE
    Aug. 7, 2011 10:41 a.m.

Doman will be put to test very quickly against an SEC defense in Ole Miss. September 3rd can't get here soon enough!!

• Hellooo Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 10:21 a.m.

Execution is the key to a successful offense and that takes lots of repetition. Nice to talk about variety and creativity, but if the plays are not practiced enough the offensive mistakes will not need much of defense to mire the team in multiple 3rd down and 20 situations. Boring may be predictible, but when executed it works. This sounds to much like a BYU recently fired head coach to give much confidence to me.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    Aug. 7, 2011 9:07 a.m.

The lack of a multiple dimensional offense was what was wrong with the Anae years. I'm actually amazed that BYU had the five 10 win seasons under his guidence...and that it took the other conference teams that long to finally pick his offensive scheme apart. It was admittedly... pitifully predictable and so lacking in imagination... that it's hard to understand why it succeeded...especially with the lack of any real passing threat. BYU will never be a predominantly running team...ever!!! Somehow Anae just couldn't grasp that. I'd have to attribute the success to great athleticism on the part of the players...more than Anae's offensive genius. I know that some will say that BYU actually passed more than it ran the ball... but a down and out schematic used to set up the run is not...nor ever will be an effective passing attack. Thank Goodness that Doman can see the difference and won't be afraid to stretch it out in the multiple passing lanes that BYU teams under Chow and Scovil... Edward's two best coordinators... previously blazed. It was like day versus night immediatly after Anae left and Doman took over. Things really are beginning to click.

• Laser Iowa City, IA
    Aug. 7, 2011 8:22 a.m.

• BigCougFan Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 8:07 a.m.

This will be an exciting season. I'm looking forward to watching every game.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Aug. 7, 2011 7:44 a.m.

There is plenty of talent on the offensive side of this team. If they can execute at a high level, they will be very good. 29 practices should be enough to get them clicking on all cylinders.

I'm almost as excited to see what DuPaix does with the run game, as I am to see what Doman does with the entire offense. I think we'll see some wrinkles that we have haven't ever seen before.

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    Aug. 7, 2011 7:13 a.m.

Love the fact that Doman has researched plays, is building his library of'em. This might be the most "out of the box" offense BYU's had in quite awhile.

Surprised that Apo didn't learn much during his redshirt year. "Swimming out there"? Good thing they're going to get his feet wet right away, instead of working him in over the year.

Still, swimming your way to being the day's leading receiver is nice news! Can't wait to see the Jake-Apo show for real. With Hoffman on the opposite side, neither of these guys can get double-teamed without someone being wide open, somewhere.

Judging by what I've read about Ole Miss's tall, fast receivers, BYU's "short" defense will need practice against Apo & Hoffman.

I had a nightmare last night that BYU's inagural independent season was marred by losses due to questionable ref calls and some key injuries.

Now that that's said (knock on wood), it should be a season to remember (for all the right reasons).

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 6:56 a.m.

While Boise State was still playing Division 2, BYU had already been running this stuff for a generation.

Tis Boise who copied BYU.

Remember it was Virgil Carter who first implemented the West Coast Offense with Bill Walsh at Cincinatti. BYU wrote the book on the modern forward pass in College Football, when teams were still running the Wishbone and I formations. Three yards and a cloud of dust was the norm. BYU broke the mold and the College football World followed.

It's about time BYU got back to it's roots. Things got stale in the eighties nineties with Chow. The Detmer years excluded. Chow needed a change to get back to his roots as well.

Let's hope the flanker returns also, remember the Bellini's? Bring it on.

• junkgeek Agua Dulce, TX
    Aug. 7, 2011 1:57 a.m.

Gary Patterson is wringing his hands with glee in anticipation.

• Independence Is Bliss San Jose, CA
    Aug. 7, 2011 1:49 a.m.

Love it! I think Apo was the leading receiver today with 55 yds receiving. Can't wait for him to get up to speed with the offense.

• CougarOnTheProwl Murray, UT
    Aug. 6, 2011 10:44 p.m.

What we saw Saturday was a multi-dimensional West Coast offense designed to make a defense cover the entire field on every play. And not be predictable.

Glad we have a New OC with fresh ideas and creativity, this offense is gonna be alot of fun to watch this season.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    Aug. 6, 2011 10:40 p.m.

I just hope we can stay pretty injury free, if we can things will be exciting and fun.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Aug. 6, 2011 10:27 p.m.

"They knew exactly what we were going to do, knew what our personnel groups were going to be all the time," said one player afterwards. "No more."

This was the hallmark of the Anae offense, and no team knew our offense and could predict our plays better than TCU. I truly, truly hope than under Doman's reign, teams like TCU will be forced to play us honest.

The hype about the Cougs this year is through the roof! I'm cautiously optimistic. I can only hope that we're half as good as we are hyped up to be.

One question: Why is Bronco holding open (to the media) practices, unveiling a new offense?

• Captain L Provo, UT
    Aug. 6, 2011 10:10 p.m.

Sounds great, this should be an exciting and fun season, getting everyone up to speed will be the chanllenge, but I'm confindent they will be good. Go Cougs.

• Mountainman56 Alpine, UT
    Aug. 6, 2011 10:06 p.m.

Best news I've heard in years. Anae's offense was boring, predictable and easy for teams with quality athletes to defend. I can't wait to see the combination of aggressive, innovative play calling with highly talented players. This should be fun!

• T-spoon West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 6, 2011 10:03 p.m.

I can't wait for the season to start in less than a month! This will be a fun team to watch, and I believe they are a team that could really make some noise. Go Cougars!