Sports

BYU football: Enthusiasm high as Cougars open fall camp

Comments

• Bunnyhop SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Aug. 8, 2011 11:41 a.m.

It is incredibly fascinating how Utah fans who say they dont care about BYU - seem to care so much about BYU

• JonnyDanger HOUSTON, TX
    Aug. 8, 2011 11:21 a.m.

(cont)HOWEVER: If ESPN's willing to broadcast 10+ games in the first year-after a 7-6 campaign, with the "terrible" opponents y'all keep ragging on-how is our game total going to drop in coming years? According to Ute trolls we should have a guaranteed 6+ WAC wins a season and I think everybody will agree that the schedule will get better as time progresses...so if ESPN wants 10 games this year it is only going to get better as I see it. Furthermore-BYU was several million in the black the last few years with the MTN's piddly payouts, so it's not like we're hurting for the money.
    As far as conference goes-BYU dreamed of BCS as well...before we knew about Indy. For me I can now watch all the games and attend several-so although I would be happy about a BCS conference invite in the future, I am stoked about our current independence! If I was a Utah fan living in Texas I would get to see maybe two games this year and still less than half once the network comes out since I am not "regional". How is that better?

• JonnyDanger HOUSTON, TX
    Aug. 8, 2011 11:16 a.m.

Zelph: Your points as I understand them:
    -Utah's guaranteed $30M (starting in 2015)is larger than BYUs contractual $8M plus individual game payouts (no argument-I don't think BYU will get more than $30M in the near future and there is a lower bottom-end-$8M).
    -BCS conference affiliation is a dream we all shared and Utah now has it while BYU doesn't. Again, no argument to that exact statement.

Aug. 8, 2011 7:53 a.m.

@ZelphExists

So far from your arguments, the only way Utah is in a better position than BYU will be in the monetary returns the Utes will get starting in 2015. I'm more than willing to admit that the Utes will be in a 'better' situation as far as bringing money in is concerned. So if we're talking about money, than absolutely, Utah will be in the better position.

But overall, for BYU, this is the perfect situation. They don't have to worry about conference commissioners telling them what to do, they have the freedom to work out their own schedule without Sunday play, they can have BYUtv replay any game at any time after the game is played, they already have an app that allows BYUtv to be played on all mobile devices...

And, even though ESPN only guaranteed a minimum of 3 games a year on their networks, in BYU's first year of independence they will appear on the ESPN networks in a minimum of 10 games. That says something about what ESPN thinks of BYU.

Utah being on Versus with USC says something about what the PAC 12 thinks of U.

BYU's exposure>Utah's.

Aug. 8, 2011 7:43 a.m.

@mgr63 "I think that BYU/LDS positions on social issues also really hurt them as well. The run-in that BYU had with Stanford in 1978 over the Church's African American position and the 2008 LDS involvement with Prop 8 in California I'm sure really turned off PAC-12 schools."

I'm sure that did have a lot to do with it...but again, I don't see how this applies to 'mainstream education'. BYU is primarily an undergraduate school for a reason. From everything I understand, the purpose behind BYU is for LDS youth to get their undergrad at a school with an LDS environment and then head out into the mission field for grad and post grad work.

As for the medical school, it's true that BYU doesn't have one. Neither do ASU, WSU, and Colorado...I'm pretty sure that's not a requirement to be in the PAC 12 :)

So again, what is this mainstream education you speak of? BYU offers all the same undergrad classes and programs as every other major institution, except for a specific pre-med. So I don't quite see your point.

But then again, I usually never do :)

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    Aug. 8, 2011 7:21 a.m.

worf | 9:35 a.m. Aug. 7, 2011
    Mcallen, TX

The cougs beat Oregon, Oregon St, Oklahoma, Arizona, etc.---Utes lose to UNLV.

BYU is independent and the utes not.

-----------

A) Utes want nothing to do with independence. When are you people gonna get that thru your heads?

B) The Utes beat Bama, Oregon State, Pittsburgh, TCU, USC, Michigan, UCLA, Cal, etc. Cougars lose to Utah State (and probably will again this year).

How embarrassing.

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    Aug. 8, 2011 1:34 a.m.

Hey Ute fans! I thought BYU was now beneath your dignity. I thought you now looked at them as though we were Weber State or SUU or Snow College; that you had finally put the BYU rivalry behind you and were looking to fish for a bigger, better rival from the PAC-12.

But from all the comments I've read so far, it sounds like you still love BYU. I mean, you love kicking BYU just as much as always.

Are you trying to impress your fellow PAC-12 schools with all your mud throwing, or perhaps, deep down, you truly realize no matter what, there's no rival you will ever, ever love more than BYU.

• riddlemethis Clearfield, UT
    Aug. 8, 2011 1:06 a.m.

GoUtesss | 2:32 a.m. Aug. 7, 2011
    SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    " The losses aren't coming from WAC teams or MWC teams etc."

Oregon State lost to Boise St (WAC), TCU (MWC)
    Wa State lost to SMU (Conf USA)
    Cal lost to Nev (WAC)
    Washington lost to BYU (MWC)

" I'm looking forward to all the televised games of the cougars getting smoked and getting brought back down to earth."

I'm looking forward to the Utes getting smoked and getting brought back down to earth. Just won't be able to watch it on TV.

• Mesa Coug Phoenix, AZ
    Aug. 7, 2011 11:41 p.m.

Zelf

I for one would not change positions with Utah. I live in AZ and would not be seeing BYU play unless they played the real U (Arizona) or ASU if we were in your shoes. I could even live with occasional mediocre seasons as long as I can watch my team on ESPN or BYUtv.

• ZelphExists Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 11:01 p.m.

@truecoug1: BYU may have it better for this year and this year only. And thats a big maybe. But after that, once the new PAC12 settles and the money starts to distribute evenly and the PAC12 Network gets in effect, there is no way you can honestly say that BYU is in a better position. You know it and everyone else knows it!

• byu116970 Tooele, Utah
    Aug. 7, 2011 10:55 p.m.

mgr63
    the only reason you got into the pac is texas turned them down and the pac freaked because they wanted a championship game and no other bcs team wanted in.
    by taking crappy colorado instead of someone like bsu proves that they didnt want to share with the non aq teams. so feel lucky instead you were plan z. why they picked you over bsu has nothing to do with play on the field, bsu would of made the conference much stronger maybe contend for the rose bowl.you are picked 3 in your division maybe 5 or 6 overall, nice addition to the pac. (FAIL).

Aug. 7, 2011 10:53 p.m.

@Truecoug,

I remember reading 4-5 articles pertaining to BYU's curriculum as it relates to other major universities and there were various things that were mentioned that I honestly can't remember, and I apologize for that. However, I know that the PAC-12 is a conference that prides itself in research and all schools have many graduate school programs and medical schools. Which, BYU is not as broad based as you know. I think that BYU/LDS positions on social issues also really hurt them as well. The run-in that BYU had with Stanford in 1978 over the Church's African American position and the 2008 LDS involvement with Prop 8 in California I'm sure really turned off PAC-12 schools. I know a lot of my more moderate LDS friends in CA were very upset about it. So, that's my speculative 2 cents worth. Have a great night sir!

• bballjunkie Cedar Hills, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 10:51 p.m.

@ZelphExists | 9:01 p.m. Aug. 7, 2011
    Salt Lake City, UT

Hey the last time I looked at a map it showed plenty of roads leaving this boring state. Check one out.

• ZelphExists Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 10:42 p.m.

Truecoug1: I am well aware that Utah won't receive AT LEAST 30 million until a few more years. So while I have your attention right now. Utah is guaranteed at least 30 million a few years from then on. BYU is only guaranteed 3 games every year which depending on performance and ratings could only equal 3-5 million. Who's position would you rather be in? Honestly??? And dont even bark up this tree about football. Especially BYU football. I was raised by BYU fans. I went to the Freedom Bowl in 86 and watched Byu get handled by UCLA. I went to the Freedom Bowl in 88 and witnessed Ty Detmers first game and Sal Aunese's last game with Colorado before he died the next year. Went to Holiday Bowls 89 90 91 and 93. Even as a little kid I knew i was always a Utah man. I even played with Doman from my high school football days and hes a better player than football IQ minded coach. Having seen how delusional Y fans have always been has turned me off to the zoo.

Aug. 7, 2011 10:18 p.m.

@mgr63 "It is not within the mainstream standards in education that ALL those schools have in common and pursue. Do they even teach anthropology at BYU? I don't know, honestly."

Yup, they do. In fact, my wife was trying to decide if she wanted to get into the anthropology major at BYU. It's supposed to be pretty awesome.

I don't know what you mean by "mainstream standards in education that ALL those schools have in common and pursue." I've heard you say it before, but never heard you explain it. Would you care to elaborate?

You're not just saying that about BYU because BYU is an LDS school with LDS standards and they require 12 credit hours of religion classes, are you?

'Cause that would be pretty bigoted.

Just curious.

Aug. 7, 2011 9:39 p.m.

@Truecoug,

Yes, you may be correct.....Utah is with the big boys and may be stuck in the high chair. However, it is nice to not get dissed and told talk to the hand because no BCS conference ever returned one call from Tom Holmoe. BYU is in the best possible situation that they can expect, considering not one BCS conference ever considered them. The curriculum at BYU is what was the difference. It is not within the mainstream standards in education that ALL those schools have in common and pursue. Do they even teach anthropology at BYU? I don't know, honestly.

Aug. 7, 2011 9:37 p.m.

@sweetnewss

I think it's great that Utah's in the PAC 12. Definite step up. I just think it's funny that Utah fans are so adamant that they're relevant now when no one else in the country cares...including the PAC 12, since they decided to put Colorado on more nationally televised games in their first year than U.

But that's ok..we still love U guys.

Aug. 7, 2011 9:23 p.m.

@Zelph

Oh contraire my friend, Provo is the "Mecca" for JellO, ice cream and boastful, delirious sports claims.

• sweetnewss Orem, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 9:22 p.m.

I love how when we were in the Mtn. West it was all about trying to become a BCS conference and why we deserved to be there. Now Utah is part of a BCS conference and BYU fans try to come up with a million reasons why it doesn't matter. If it doesn't matter, why did we both want it so bad?

I guess this means that when you get invited to the BIG 12 once conferences switch again it won't be a big deal? You won't be happy to be affiliated with Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Missouri,Texas A&M and AQ status because your conference will include Baylor, Texas Tech, and Iowa State? You'd rather keep your non-aq status and 6-7 annual WAC/MWC teams than be associated with the likes of those non elite bcs schools, right? I mean it just wouldn't be worth it to have to put up with the bad-news baylor bears every year!

Maybe putting it in those terms helps you realize how ridiculous your argument that the significance of Utah's move to the Pac12 is somehow lessened by Pac12 bottom dwellers.

Aug. 7, 2011 9:22 p.m.

@Zelph "Bored? Haven't you been bored enough with mediocrity for the last 20 years? Shouldn't you be used to boredom by now? Provo isn't exactly the mecca of excitement. Of course you are bored! Provostan!"

As I said, 'incendiary', meaningless drivel...talking about Provo being boring? (sigh) Tsk tsk.

Serious question: Do you happen to know anything about college sports, specifically football? What is a quarterback? How many yards does it take to get a first down? Even the basics would help me to know you are actually a knowledgeable fan, and not just a BYU hater.

Help me out here...and remember to bring that bib to the PAC 12 :)

• Andermart Pullman, WA
    Aug. 7, 2011 9:21 p.m.

The start of football practice makes me so excited for the start of football season, and yes, I am excited every year whether the team is great or not. But I also drink the kool-aid and I think they are going to have a pretty decent team this year. I just wish I lived in Provo still. Thank you for TV coverage. Bring it on.

Aug. 7, 2011 9:16 p.m.

@Zelph

I don't think we said our situation is better than Utah's. Fact is, BYU will never be invited to the PAC 12 because of the liberal stance of the universities and the Sunday play issue. Definitely not a good fit at all for BYU and there was no way an invitation would be forthcoming from the PAC.

BYU's in a great position for the unique institution that they are. I wouldn't trade where we're at for anything and I, for one, hope that independence is the long-term plan.

Again, as it stands currently, Utah won't be receiving 30 million dollars a year until about 2014-2015. They got stuck on Versus in their very first game in the PAC 12 while Colorado gets put on ESPN2. They have a TV contract with KJZZ for this year...I'll stop there.

Basically, as it stands, BYU>Colorado>Utah.

AS I've said before, U got invited to the 'big boys' table and got stuck in the high chair.

Hope you brought your big :)

• ZelphExists Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 9:01 p.m.

oh, and BYU online fan.. As much logic and sense as I make, please dont listen to me and do the same. Living in Utah is boring enough and I need the cheap entertainment. So please dont follow my rule and make complete sense. I need your delusion for entertainment purposes. Thanks and go PAC12!

• ZelphExists Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 8:58 p.m.

Truecoug1: Bored? Haven't you been bored enough with mediocrity for the last 20 years? Shouldn't you be used to boredom by now? Provo isn't exactly the mecca of excitement. Of course you are bored! Provostan!

• ZelphExists Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 8:53 p.m.

You seriously cant make this stuff up! You would rather turn down 30-40 million a year instead of have 10-15 million a year? You would rather be independent than to be included in what is arguably the 2nd or 3rd best conference. I never said that BYU was getting a raw deal. in fact, i'm man enough to say that you will be in a much better position. But to say that your situation is better than Utah's kills any credibility that you have. All my smart BYU fans agree. Its you online birdbrains that just have to much pride and over inflated self importance that cant see it. Utah is in a much better position and no matter hpw you spin it, there is no way honestly that you can say that you wouldn't trade places. You know it!

Aug. 7, 2011 8:39 p.m.

@mgr63 "We Ute trolls love to read what you cougar fans write. It is great entertainment. The amazing thing about it, is that you really believe it........can't buy that sort of comedy anywhere I know of. Cheers!"

I'm pretty sure that within the last 20 comments you and Zelph have combined for 4 comments that have said the exact same thing as above.

It's getting old.

I used to be entertained by your posts...now I'm just bored.

Aug. 7, 2011 8:17 p.m.

• panamadesnews Lindon, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 7:57 p.m.

Now I understand! Could the Ute trolls be prevalent on articles about BYU because no one reads the Ute articles, as is indicated by a previous poster? If that is the case, and I do not know for sure because I rarely read Ute articles, why would they want to comment on an article that no one reads. Makes sense.

• PistonHonda Houston, TX
    Aug. 7, 2011 7:36 p.m.

I love how Utes hated the BCS until they're a part of it. Can we now toss out the 2004 and 2008 Ute seasons, since those were primarily based on beating up non-BCS schools? Last I checked, about 50% of BCS schools really have no football history and are only part of the BCS due to conference affiliation. With 6 ranked seasons in its history, Utah will fit nicely as another mediocre BCS program that has small flashes of brilliance on rare occasion (even Wazzu has proven this). Unfortunately, BYU fans, Utes will proclaim their Pac membership forever as the eternal victory over BYU. Last I checked, though, Wazzu, Baylor, Kansas, North Carolina State, Wake Forest, Rutgers, Indiana, Iowa State (and the list goes on and on) never run around proclaiming how great they are simply because of conference affiliation. Actually,I've never seen 1 program besides Utah try so hard to base their program "quality" off conference membership. To every other football program, all that matters is winning -- period. It's a big improvement for Utah, but they have a long way to go before they prove themselves as anything but a flash-in-a-pan feelgood story.

• idaho cougar fan Twin Falls, ID
    Aug. 7, 2011 7:06 p.m.

No way BYU trades 10 games of national exposure, chance of going to a BCS game once every 6-8 years and make your own schedule for Utah's little NATIONAL exposure (not versus and fox regional, WHOOPIE), middle to bottom of the Pac-12 every year, with a chance to go to a rose bowl every 10-15 years (ask Arizona fans how many rose bowls they've gone to in 40 years.)If you really chat w/ BYU fans, they LOVE where they are.

Note to all coug fans, if you want to get away from Ute trolls, just start commenting on Ute articles. Nobody reads them!!!!

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 6:49 p.m.

@zuldf

"Seriously, aren't they a 7-6 team that lost to both Utah and Utah St. last year? Ok, BYU fans, run with that one and spin it all you want. I'm all ears."

And I suppose then 'your' team is the 'cupcake king' that could only put 13 points on the board against real teams like TCU, ND (with a bench QB), and BSU.

Nothing like seeing a #5 team drive off a cliff to irrelevancy in the most historic game EVER played at RES and then expecting something miraculous in the PAC 10.2?

Spin it all you want. I'm all ears.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    Aug. 7, 2011 6:39 p.m.

"Hey folks, I have 3 extra seats to the Idaho St. game at LES......Any takers? I'll buy the ice cream!"

I know you're not serious and are trying to make a point that nobody will want to see BYU play Idaho State or some WAC teams. However, I am very serious when I say that I know many people who would take your extra seats in a jiffy. If you are serious, send those tickets to me. We could use them. We watch BYU no matter who they play. The only problem will be deciding which 3 will get to go to the game.

• Cougars - Wise Older Brothers Anaheim, CA
    Aug. 7, 2011 6:37 p.m.

Latest Utah News

◦Backup Utah QB's inexperienced - 0 comments
    ◦Practice is still practice for U - 11
    ◦'Real football' begins for Utes - 5
    ◦3 OL coaches for Bergstrom at U - 1
    ◦Utah Utes football notebook - 4
    ◦'Another step forward' in Utes camp - 4
    ◦Forbes examines Pac-12 TV deal - 7

BYU football: Enthusiasm high - 72 comments

...including 20 from our little brothers on the hill

So much for our little brothers leaving their big brother behind.

• shawnfaux@gmail.com Cedar Hills, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 6:34 p.m.

Hey ute fan a quick snap shot of your articles and comments:

Backup Utah QB's inexperienced 0
    Practice is still practice for U. 11
    Baseball Sunday: Hometown report 0
    'Real football' begins for Utes 5
    3 OL coaches for Bergstrom at U. 1
    Trio battling for reps as Ute's RB1 9
    Arizona looking to become elite 0
    Utah Utes football notebook 4
    'Another step forward' in Utes camp 4
    Forbes examines Pac-12 TV dea l7

Not even your fans care to talk about Utah football. You got to love how you are all more intrested in BYU than your own team. Thanks for the laughs!

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Aug. 7, 2011 6:23 p.m.

mgr63 and his new best friend H-hog are two peas in a pod - a match made in heaven. Both are obsessed with Cougar Football - they'll never be able to cut the chord. Both are starving for attention.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Aug. 7, 2011 6:11 p.m.

"I can't wait to see their posts after week 3."

mgr63: Oh, don't worry.

BYU 41
    utah 10 - what say you??

• JDL Magna, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 5:54 p.m.

Zelph said:

I would say that 99% of BYU fans would trade Utah with their PAC12 situation in a heartbeat. And if you say that's not true, you are lying and you know it. 100% of Utah fans would NOT trade places with BYU. Case closed!

I think there were many BYU fans that felt snubbed by the Pac12 early on but very few now days. Congrats to U for the Pac12 invite.

Your problem is with the second half of your statement. It needs to read 100% of Utah fans COULD NEVER trade places with BYU. U is dependent on a conference and would never survive independence; no brand, no money, no national prominence, no history, no ESPN, no NOTHING.

u are small, u are weak, u are...

In 2009 U were crying foul with the bogus BCS and now you have embraced it. what irony and hypocrisy.

BYU is on the edge of busting the establishment again, u may be the casualty of !the breakup with roses adorning the coffin. Casket closed

• AltaHawkFan Sandy, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 5:52 p.m.

re: GUtlesss

Haven't you heard ? The Cougars are not your rival anymore. Colorado is your new rival. Go away ... you don't want your snooty pac12 'friends' to know you're mingling with those beneath you.

Enjoy pac12 mediocrity.

• RepresentBlue West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 5:52 p.m.

@ZelphExists, GoUtess, mgr63

Let's talk about spin. It is going to be so satisfying watching BYU destroy the Utes on Sep. 17, and then coming on to these message boards and hearing the likes of you three spin the 20+ point beating you are going to receive. You all know its coming.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 5:32 p.m.

@goutesss

"I've seen several comments along the lines of why are ute fans trolling the cougar articles."

Well I'm not one that comlains about it as I like to read the latest idiocy from ute "fans" but to answer your question it is this.

utah "fans" claim they have now left BYU behind, they do not care about them, they do not consider them a rival, the BYU/utah game in September is now the 11th most important game on their schedule, etc.

If that is all true then why are utah "fans" like yourself spending anytime at all reading, and commenting about, BYU articles? It just proves to all of us that BYU is still your #1 rival, what BYU does is still far more important to all of you than anything the school you claim to be fans of does, that you are still jealous, you are still little brothers, you are still obsessed, fixated, and consumed with BYU.

I'll assume you'll deny it but of course the fact you will read this and reply to it proves I am correct.

LOL!

• ZelphExists Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 5:01 p.m.

@mgr63 Exactly. I have no problem with BYU sports. I do, however, just can't keep from looking at these boards. Its the best cheap entertainment one can find. BYU fans and their 'spin' is an amazing thing to watch.

• Solomon the Wise Alpine, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 5:01 p.m.

"the rivalry will diminish for the U players as the years pass and I really don't see Chris Hill scheduling BYU much after 2012"

65 posts so on an article about BYU's opening practice -- at least half of those posts by BYU-hating trolls.

Last Wednesday, the article the "Pac-12 preview: Colorado..." was published -- a grand total of 9 comments were posted on the article, 4 by BYU fans, 5 by Utah fans (4 of them defending Colorado), not a single solitary post by a Colorado fan, and not a single solitary post by Utah fan with a negative comment about Colorado.

In other words, Utah's new "rivalry" is the dead on arrival.

Hill will never stop scheduling BYU because he knows that he would lose a sizeable contingent of "Utah fans" who are and always will be nothing but BYU haters. The BYU haters would be lost without the BYU-Utah rivalry.

Aug. 7, 2011 4:57 p.m.

@ZelphExists

Poor guy...you and mgr are both very similar. You spout off nonsense and throw out random conjecture ("when BYU has another mediocre season and ESPN only puts them on 4-6 games a year", e.g.) and when we refute your points, instead of responding to them, you immediately turn around and throw out some more useless drivel.

It gets kind of boring, actually, since it's the same thing every day.

My "dream" is that U posters come up with some different, witty material that has a small amount of cogency to it.

Sadly, you and mgr keep bringing me back to reality :)

Aug. 7, 2011 4:36 p.m.

@GoUtesss

I agree with you 100%. Although the rivalry will diminish for the U players as the years pass and I really don
    t see Chris Hill scheduling BYU much after 2012, if at all. If BYU goes 6-6 this season the ESPN ratings will be huge. BYU might get more money if they lose because millions will tune in to watch that......I know I will, especially if they pan the audience, priceless. Then, the cougar fans will brag about how much money BYU is making. Their "spin" never ceases to amaze me. Great fun though ya gotta admit.

• GoUtesss SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 4:07 p.m.

I've seen several comments along the lines of why are ute fans trolling the cougar articles. Uhhh take a good look at the ute articles and see for yourself that you cougars are trolling the ute articles too. I think that's a pretty dumb question to ask why ute fans are trolling the cougars articles and not any of the other teams in the pac 12. It's one of the biggest rivalries in the country, of course the utes are going to hate on you cougars and of course you cougars are going to hate on the utes. Why are you cougar fans so excited to watch your team suffer on national TV going 6-6 for this upcoming season?

Aug. 7, 2011 3:49 p.m.

Aug. 7, 2011 3:39 p.m.

@ZelphExists,

Love the posts bro! These cougar fans are a blast aren't they? I can't wait to see their posts after week 3. Cheers!

• ZelphExists Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 3:15 p.m.

Truecoug1: your dream is my reality.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    Aug. 7, 2011 3:08 p.m.

"BYU football. Seems to always be winning off the field and losing on it."

Well, IF that is the case, then in the long run (meaning after this life), who will be in better shape?

"I would say that 99% of BYU fans would trade Utah with their PAC12 situation in a heartbeat. And if you say thats not true, you are lying and you know it. 100% of Utah fans would NOT trade places with BYU. Case closed!"

How about I take a survey in my BYU classes next semester (I'm guessing there are a lot of BYU fans among the BYU students, but of course you know much more about BYU than even we students do, so you tell me) asking them if they would trade spots with Utah. If it is less than 99% then you lose. How confident are you in your claim? If this were a bet, how much money would you put down?

• Jeff29 Cedar City, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 3:08 p.m.

I think something has been missed when looking at the records of the Utes' PAC 12 opponents for this year. The argument/excuse from Ute fans is that their records were worse than MWC teams (or others) because they played other PAC 10 teams. Unfortunately, this doesn't work; the only way to determine the real strength of a conference is by the out-of-conference record. The combined record of the Utes PAC 12 opponents who were in the PAC 10 last year was 44-55 (that's 99 games). 72 of those games were against each other and obviously resulted in a 36-36 record. Therefore, the out-of-conference record of those team was 8-19 (which looks even worse when you consider the PAC 10's stated non-conference scheduling goal was 1 quality team and 2 patsies).

I'm actually very interested to see the final SOS rankings at the end of this year.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Aug. 7, 2011 2:49 p.m.

Funny how U say BYU is the 11th most important game on your schedule, yet U are flooding this article with your posts.

Just because I'm curious, I read the article about USC's first practice. I figured it would be flooded by ute trolls also, since that's your first PAC12 opponent. Not a single ute troll posted a single comment.

So I thought I better check out Colorado's first practice, since that's the U's new rival. Again, to my disappointment, not a single ute troll posted a comment.

Reality, ute trolls cannot leave their big brother security blanket. The word obsession needs to be reiterated one more time. This is the most important game of the season for hh, chrisb, mgr, zelphie and others. Otherwise they would not be here.

BTW, U should check out the t-shirts the Buffs are selling. They'll remind you of your big brother to the south.

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 2:36 p.m.

ZelphExists

So BYU fans are dumb or liars because of what may or may not happen in a year? That's rich. Here's the other side. BYU does so well in the first year of independence that ESPN increases the amount per game they pay BYU and they still televise at least 10 games.

The craziness is that we haven't even played a game this year and you are already talking about next year. Just grab a cold one and enjoy KJZZ. Worry about next year after the season is over.

• Hawkyo SYRACUSE, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 2:25 p.m.

I think most BYU Fans are quite comfortable with Independence as it sits right now. Of course, we haven't played a down. Utah should be very excited about their prospects for the future. They'll eventually get the money they desire, and with some winning performances on the field, which they are bound to have, they will likely get more face time on tv. Let's face it BYU fans, we have shouted along with the rest of the "mid majors" that the BCS was not all that far above us in quality football. Utah took a small step up in my opinion. THey should have about the same trouble winning in the PAC as they did in the MWC, which wasn't too much. The PAC has proven itself to be vulnerable in ways that coaches like Whit Patterson, Peterson, and Bronco, have been able to exploit with relative frequency. The Utes may not "own" the pac, but they will be a threat to anyone not taking them seriously. Mark it Down!

Aug. 7, 2011 2:17 p.m.

@ZelphExists continued

By comparison, ESPN and ESPN2 show in 100+ million homes nationwide and come standard on basic cable and satellite subscriptions.

I'll let you do the math on who gets the better exposure.

So I ask you, is BYU's dream really to be shown in 40 million homes 2 times a year?

Or is it to have every game shown nationwide on ESPN or on their own TV network that reaches more households than the PAC 12's 'mighty' network, while not having to worry about Sunday play or being beholden to conference presidents and commissioners?

According to you, I guess I must be dumb, or a liar, because I'll take independence over the PAC 12 any day.

• Hawkyo SYRACUSE, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 2:14 p.m.

MGR63, you do realize that Honor Code is anti-BYU and his comment was tongue-in-cheek, right? If not, well now you know.

Aug. 7, 2011 2:12 p.m.

@ZelphExists "So a year from now, when the PAC12 Network is showing every Utah game on national tv and Espn will only pick up 4-5 games after a another mediocre year, what will your excuse be now?"

Hilarious post! This just goes to show your ignorance of your own school's network!

The PAC 12 'national network' will start off in 40 million homes (15 million less than BYUtv) and that's limited to the PAC 12 region. People back east will have to buy a separate sports package in order to see the PAC 12 national channel.

It will only show select PAC 12 football and basketball games that people will actually want to see (and if they want to see Colorado more than U this year on national TV, I don't see things changing much for U in the future).

Utah maybe gets 2 games on the national channel, if they're lucky.

Their other games will be shown on the PAC 12 regional network, which is limited to only the Utah and Colorado markets...that IS a step up from KJZZ, but not by much.

• ZelphExists Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 1:51 p.m.

BYU's dream is Utah's reality

• ZelphExists Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 1:40 p.m.

So a year from now, when the PAC12 Network is showing every Utah game on national tv and Espn will only pick up 4-5 games after a another mediocre year, what will your excuse be now? If you are a BYU fan and deny that you wouldn't trade a PAC12 invite for independence than you are either dumb or a liar.

Aug. 7, 2011 1:25 p.m.

@ZelphExists "I would say that 99% of BYU fans would trade Utah with their PAC12 situation in a heartbeat."

Absolutely...I've always wanted to make no money in my first year of a BCS conference, get stuck on Versus and FSN Regional, and have 8 games of the season only on the radio (I do like Bill Riley). Not to mention the Sunday play and liberal stance of the schools in the PAC 12. Man, BYU is in a tough place right now with independence.

10 games minimum on the ESPN family of networks in the first year of independence, 12-15 million dollars a year moving forward, with the ability to control our schedule and no fears of having to play on Sunday?

BYU really got the short end of the stick!

Aug. 7, 2011 1:20 p.m.

@mgr63 "I am so "jazzed" for this season watching BYU football."

I am so jazzed for this season LISTENING to Utah football.

Hmmm...it's just not the same, is it?

I hope you like Bill Riley...

@mgr63 "I'm telling you what folks, reading what BYU fans post continuously is something that cannot be purchased. The best entertainment in this world, always has been."

Funny, mgr...I've always thought that YOU'RE the best entertainment on BYU comment boards :)

We love you, man...you, hedgie, and Chris B are what make us BYU fans get up in the morning :)

• bluecoug89 Highland, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 1:06 p.m.

ZelphExists,

I think that you are 99% wrong. Oh gosh, I must have lied. No, never mind, I am pretty sure I didn't. I seriously don't know anyone that would want to trade with Utah, and that's not a lie. We are all pretty happy about it down at the Y.

• bluecoug89 Highland, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 1:04 p.m.

mgr63,

Your posts are getting boring bro, you should go meet up with Chris B and hh and maybe they can give you some pointers. Just a tip.

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 12:35 p.m.

Jealous U,

You are spot on. HH and Chris B don't even try to sound credible, so it comes off somewhat entertaining. mgr's problem is that he fabricates lies to sound credible and it just comes off as a typical Ute fan.....boring.

• ZelphExists Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 12:27 p.m.

• ZelphExists Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 12:16 p.m.

BYU football. Seems to always be winning off the field and losing on it.

Aug. 7, 2011 12:07 p.m.

@Jealous U,

If a person doesn't cheer for BYU they have no "honor." I wanna see them play in a bowl game in December! GO BYU!

• AltaHawkFan Sandy, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 12:02 p.m.

re: mgr63

In previous posts, you've tried to convince us that BYU is no longer your rival and that you are going to ignore the Cougars. When is that going to start ? Please let it be soon ! You bring nothing of worth to this conversation.

BYU has a lot of returning experience at nearly every position and a fairly new coaching staff. It will be interesting to see how the offensive and defensive schemes have been adjusted.

Aug. 7, 2011 11:56 a.m.

BYU fans should talk after week three of this season, after two road games and playing the U, which always plays BYU tough. Then, they'll have a few cupcake games to restore an element of confidence. Working towards the "Armed Services Bowl" should be BYU's objective this year. I hope they achieve that lofty goal! Go BYU!

• Jealous U Alpine, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 11:47 a.m.

Looks like someone is trying to stir the pot, but his shtick is getting so boring that's not working anymore.

At least hh and his twin ChrisB are somewhat entertaining with their constant lame predictions.

Aug. 7, 2011 11:27 a.m.

I'm telling you what folks, reading what BYU fans post continuously is something that cannot be purchased. The best entertainment in this world, always has been. Good luck BYU!

• deductive reasoning Arlington, VA
    Aug. 7, 2011 10:58 a.m.

GoUtesss

"Yeah that 45-62 record may not look so great, but you have to realize the majority of those losses are coming from quality teams."

So when ASU(6-6), which didn't even qualify for a bowl game because the Sun Devils only had 4 wins against FBS teams, beat Arizona(7-6), that was a "quality" loss for Arizona?

When UCLA(4-8) and Washington State(2-10) beat Oregon State, those were "quality" losses for OSU?

When Oregon State(5-7) beat USC, that was a "quality" loss for USC?

You need to step back from the PAC12 bias and take a whiff of the stuff you're shoveling because it ain't roses.

USC (on probation)
    Arizona(7-6)
    ASU(6-6)
    UCLA(4-8)
    Colorado(5-7)
    Washington(7-6)
    California(5-7)
    Oregon St(5-7)
    Washington St(2-10)

That's Utah's "brutal" PAC 12 schedule for 2011.

Lots of "quality" losses in that schedule.

• Wldflwr Lehi, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 10:56 a.m.

@ Veritas Aequitas - Great comment, but I don't think bigutefan knows what intrinsic or extrinsic mean.

As far as ignoring hh's comments - can't do it, they are like reading the joke of the day.

Counting the days! Can't wait to see what this team is going to be able to do.

GO COUGARS!!!!!! Yes, I am yelling!

Aug. 7, 2011 10:51 a.m.

@ Worf,

Sir, that is the greatest post I've ever seen. Are you actually a human being? Astonishing!

Aug. 7, 2011 9:59 a.m.

@Honor code,

I bet you can't wait to beat all those WAC teams at LES. How fun is that in "reality?" How about those road games against real programs....sweatin' it out as they approach? Winning is what is all about at BYU, and then "spinning" the value of those wins is what cougar fans aspire to. I wanna see some good football, not that sort of nonsense. But, who knows, BYU always has "let-down" games, so there might be a wee bit of entertainment value, ie the trouncing that USU handed the Y last season, a true classic. That was great! And, it will happen again for sure with some Div 2 quality squad. That is why it is so much fun to watch BYU in this century.......As Forest Gump would say....."Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get?" I am so "jazzed" for this season watching BYU football.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Aug. 7, 2011 9:39 a.m.

GoUtesss

By quality opponents, you mean... each other?

Look, folks, this sword cuts both ways. Haven't we all, for the past several years, gloried in the fact that the MWC as a conference, held it's own against the PAC, or better. Was it two years ago the MWC was 4-1 against the PAC in bowl games?

Not that much has changed. In getting Utah, they picked up a team that inflicted more than a few of those losses over the PAC. In picking up Boise, the MWC replaced Utah quite admirably.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Aug. 7, 2011 9:35 a.m.

@ GoUtesss

If the utes can't beat quality teams, they should have gone Division 11. Playing them hurts BYUs SOS. The cougs beat Oregon, Oregon St, Oklahoma, Arizona, etc.---Utes lose to UNLV.

BYU is independent and the utes not.
    All BYU games nationally televised, not the Utes.
    The past forty years--the utes grew with BYU TV revenue and former players,--the utes ???
    The cougs have great fans, the utes have hedgehog and chris b.

Need I say more? Montana State 35 Utah 17.

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    Aug. 7, 2011 9:28 a.m.

@ Honor code. What happened to the Utes the last time they played a WAC team called Boise State?

• Cougar_Independence OMAHA, NE
    Aug. 7, 2011 9:01 a.m.

@goutes

Yeah, 2-10 Colorado's blowout loss to 5-7 Cal was definitely a quality loss.

And I'm pretty sure one of Cal's losses last season came against WAC team Nevada. And I believe Boise State beat both Utah and Oregon State, and of course Boise was in the WAC last year.

How about those quality opponent losses!

• Mountainman56 Alpine, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 8:42 a.m.

Hedgie

Actually we learned a lot from this report. I guess that your need to try to find something negative to say on every BYU article is so overpowering that you threw out that weak sauce comment. If you can't do better than that, why bother?

Bigutefan

You've already been schooled well by TrueBlue and riddlemethis but let me pile on a little more. Do you think that anyone in the country other than you and hedgie actually thinks that playing the sisters of the poor from the PAC 10.2 is somehow superior to playing UCF, TCU and Hawaii? Playing "BCS" schools might make you feel warm and fuzzy but from a SOS perspective and gaining any national respect for beating them, it won't get you anywhere.

• BigCougFan Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 8:00 a.m.

I can't wait for the season to begin! And for the record.. I get a kick out of the closet cougars (utes) who continue to follow a team they pretend to have no interest in. I can't remember the last time I read an article about Utah's football team. Ute football is meaningless. The only quality team in the state is BYU (apologies to the Aggies).

Aug. 7, 2011 6:39 a.m.

Since when hasn't the BYU squad and their hopeful fans not been excited during the pre season? T-shirt and poster printing always at a feverish pitch, sports boards slammed with with claims of "perfection and glory." I think it is always great fun observing such a spectacle............and then "reality" sets in when the season commences and evolves. That, as I see it, is the "real" gift. Good luck BYU!

• Honor Code Denver, Colorado
    Aug. 7, 2011 6:32 a.m.

I can't wait til we beat up on those WAC teams at LES!!!

• byu116970 Tooele, Utah
    Aug. 7, 2011 2:53 a.m.

if utes were picked 3 in their own division that means their the 5th or 6th best team in the conference did somebody say poinsettia or vegas if any... nothing changes.

• byu116970 Tooele, Utah
    Aug. 7, 2011 2:40 a.m.

@bigutefan oops you forgot,

About your 10 bcs team how many are the preseason top 25, um "zero" byu has 2. of those 10 bcs teams how many had losing or mediocre records, all 10. USC had the best record at 8-5, and 5 of them had losing records.

you are a bcs school,so you will join duke, kansas, wsu..... you know, the schools that are gravy training off the teams that are actually good because they cant seem to do it themselves.

you are the 28 ranked utes at least for one game any way, well considering your tailspin at the end of last year, you know that you got that ranking only because of your conference affiliation.

you claim the rivalry game as the 11th or 12th most important game, but seriously this years game will be one of the most heated in years. they will try to prove bcs worth. do you really want to start the season 1-2 or 0-3

byu will most likely be ranked higher than you before the season is over

• GoUtesss SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 2:32 a.m.

@riddlemethis
    Yeah that 45-62 record may not look so great, but you have to realize the majority of those losses are coming from quality teams. The losses aren't coming from WAC teams or MWC teams etc. I'm looking forward to all the televised games of the cougars getting smoked and getting brought back down to earth.

• Independence Is Bliss San Jose, CA
    Aug. 7, 2011 2:25 a.m.

Correction: The contraction should be you'ren't - almost forgot my 2nd grade grammar rules.

One more thing: Some people look at Jordan Wynn and ask why; I look at Jake Heaps and ask why not.

• Independence Is Bliss San Jose, CA
    Aug. 7, 2011 2:20 a.m.

@bigutefan, I'm sorry man, you got slaughtered. Cut your losses and go home.

@ the 12 some odd posters who responded to a simple comment from hedgehog; I ask, why? Haven't you figured out by now that he just does it to get a rise out of BYU fans? There's no way he actually believes the nonsense he types. Leave him be. (unless in fact he is a she, in which case, leave her be).

I already posted this on the other board, but here's a tip: When you see hedgehog's name, skip the comment. It's great, I highly recommend it!

These comment boards are much more enjoyable when you're'nt (contraction of you are not - I just invented it) subjected to adolescent tantrums.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 2:00 a.m.

bigutefan | 11:51 p.m.
    Las Vegas, NV

"Utah is a BCS school, BYU is not."
    ===

See, here is my little dilemma:

Utah is BCS, BYU is not.

Now, I do understand the bowl situation, but has affiliation changes really done anything to improve either team.

bigutefan, teams get better from intrinsic changes, not extrinsic. The BCS Utah team that walks on the field against MSU is not that different from the non-BCS Utah team that walked off the field against BSU in the Vegas Bowl last year.

So, like BYU, Utah really has to earn their stripes on the field. An invite does not make you a BCS team, but establishing conference "cred" will. Utah is really a BCS intern this year.

See, what I learned from the article is that Heaps only threw one incomplete pass, nobody ate a bee, and the QB did not scare the heck out of the OC by getting knocked down by the RB (well, one of them).

And if BYU is your 11th most important team to play, tell me, are you on those other ten teams articles ten times as much?

Admit it...

You're feeling inadequate and overcompensating...

Relax.

• riddlemethis Clearfield, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 1:35 a.m.

bigutefan:

learning really is so much fun isn't it?

Here's the dirty little secret about Utah's BCS opponents that you and all the other ute fans don't want us to know: Utah's 9 PAC 12 opponents record last year was ...wait for it... da da da da 45-62. So beat your chest all you want about the BCS teams on the schedule.

We heard incessantly from Ute fans that after the Utes were picked to finish 3rd in their division that preseason polls don't mean anything. So which is it? You get to tout the USA today coaches poll for the preseason 28 spot, but sweep the PAC 12 poll from media day under the rug?

BYU has RB's who between them played a single down of D1 college football. Utah does not.

BYU has a backup quarterback who has played at least a down of D1 college football. Utah does not.

BYU has an offensive coordinator who hasn't been fired by 3 other schools Utah does not.

Utah can be seen on KJZZ BYU cannot.

Btw, if BYU is only the 11th most important game on your schedule, what are you doing on a BYU article?

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Aug. 7, 2011 1:10 a.m.

Thornhog, I read an article on the utes. I posted a question about you and nobody knows who you are. Maybe you can learn how to be a ute or Irish and keep your posts there. Adios.

• bluelife FARMINGTON, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 12:48 a.m.

bigutefan

I love commenting on the articles of the eleventh most important team on my teams schedule too........what a moron.

• TrueBlue Orem, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 12:36 a.m.

bigutefan

"Utah will play 10 BCS opponents, BYU will play 4."

Except for sanction-crippled USC, NONE of Utah's 9 PAC 12 opponents had a better record than BYU last season; and all but two of them had worse records.

BYU will play two pre-season Coaches poll Top 25 teams.

Utah will play none.

Utah is a BCS conference member, but so are Duke, Washington State, Indiana, Iowa State and a bunch of other BCS conference cellar dwellers.

Didn't Utah get DESTROYED by two non-BCS teams last season?

It's going to be fun beating up on one of BYU's four "BCS" opponents on September 17th!

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Aug. 6, 2011 11:53 p.m.

Ole Miss, here I come. Looking forward to a great year.

I'm also looking forward to UW's 2nd year with Sark as coach. My guess is better than last, and don't they play Utah in Seattle? I'll have to watch that one if it is on TV.

Go Cougs and Go Dawgs! Beavers, too (except for two games, UW and BYU).

• bigutefan Las Vegas, NV
    Aug. 6, 2011 11:51 p.m.

@CougFaninTX, learning is fun!! Just a few things that you might have missed:

Utah will play 10 BCS opponents, BYU will play 4.

The BYU-Utah game is the second or third most important game for BYU this year, but for Utah, the rivalry game ranks 11th of the 12 games scheduled.

Utah is a BCS school, BYU is not.

Utah will play in a BCS conference, BYU will not.

The preseason USA Coaches Poll has Utah ranked 28th with 50 points. BYU is ranked 43rd with 5 points.

I am disappointed with the article, where is the one stat that is actually very important to Provo fans and will create an amazing amount of buzz over absolutely nothing:

Who ran up Y mtn the fastest? So important!

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    Aug. 6, 2011 11:14 p.m.

Oh, hedgehog, you are so predictably wrong.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    Aug. 6, 2011 10:26 p.m.

The O-line sounds deep and solid, that means the offense should be productive.

Go Cougs!

• Captain L Provo, UT
    Aug. 6, 2011 10:26 p.m.

This should be an exciting yr for cougar fans, I said from the first time I saw Heaps that he could be the best QB we have ever had and that is saying alot, but I still believe that to be true. Time will tell but there is alot of reason for high hopes. If the D can come out playing as well as they finished the season last yr, this could be a magical season. There is reason to smile.

• Chase Saint George, UT
    Aug. 6, 2011 9:56 p.m.

Enthusiasm was even high among little brothers. Always so interested in what big brother is doing.

• LEDSFW Las Vegas, NV
    Aug. 6, 2011 9:53 p.m.

Glad to see Chambers out there. Some young men get angry, embarrassed and leave. Others get right, get better and stay. O'Niel is a fine young man for staying.

• CougarOnTheProwl Murray, UT
    Aug. 6, 2011 9:42 p.m.

At last it officially begins, 2011 fall camp is underway! 4 weeks until kickoff against Ole Miss, cant wait!

Go Cougars!!!

• BluCoug Provo, UT
    Aug. 6, 2011 9:37 p.m.

"if you're a bYu fan....you learned nothing from this report. "

It's HIGHLY doubtful that you never read this report. You just have an addiction to post on any BYU article regardless of the story.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Aug. 6, 2011 9:37 p.m.

@hh
    Everything I need to know (about the Cougars), I learned from the D News.

I learned that BYU is playing two pre-season ranked opponents and the Utes are playing none.

I learned that BYU has 10 games on ESPN and Utah has 1.

I learned that BYU has their own TV network and the Utes do not.

I learned that BYU knows who is going to be running the ball (RB) and the Utes do not.

I learned that BYU has a back-up plan at QB (just in case) and the Utes do not. Hopefully, neither team will have to use.

I learned that BYU is deeper at every position than they've ever been, and the Utes are still trying to fill in holes.

I learned that most experts believe BYU will be much improved over last year, and there are a lot of concerns on the hill about Wynn's shoulder, the offensive line, who will play RB, and whether the offense will grasp Chow's new offense.

I learned I can't wait until Sept 17. Go Cougs!

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Aug. 6, 2011 9:20 p.m.

Great article for getting excited about BYU football. I hope to see another one every day for the next month.

hedgie....a true expert on nothing. Since your not a BYU fan, how would you know if BYU fans learned anything?

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    Aug. 6, 2011 9:15 p.m.

"if you're a bYu fan....you learned nothing from this report."

And what did you learn hedgehog? My experience in the past year or so is that you don't learn anything.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Aug. 6, 2011 8:57 p.m.

hedgehog

Not from your posts either.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    Aug. 6, 2011 8:45 p.m.

if you're a bYu fan....you learned nothing from this report.

• IDC Boise, ID
    Aug. 6, 2011 8:30 p.m.

Finally!

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Aug. 6, 2011 8:11 p.m.

Like cold clear mountain water on a hot summer day.