Sports

BYU football: Defensive end Matt Putnam ruled academically ineligible

Comments

• Jeff ls Farr West, 84404
    Aug. 7, 2011 5:06 p.m.

Wow, here we are already. I find it interesting to note that this problem is academic and can be fixed easily. It is up to Putnum. Isn't it interesting how Ute fans like lifelong and others just have to churp in. Lets see, I think they still have an issue that hasn't been dealt with yet. As I recall there was a young man who plays for Utah and he was convicted of drunk driving and driving the wrong way on the freeway. I am not making a judgement here, it is not my place. The U of U will have to rule on this and his opportunity to play. I find it amazing how people and universities act on certain mis-judgements by students and players. I am sure the list goes on and on. I find it really interesting, will he be able to play, will it be swept under the carpet? I know that answer if he was at BYU. As a long time season ticket holder I want no games with the U. They are taking scheduling space.
    Jeff

• RaininTime Orem, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 3:52 p.m.

@ Anne26: Of note is your personal attack of my intelligence. Would your children ever do that?

• Anne26 West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 9:10 a.m.

@Rainintime: I am a Utah fan, and I am none of the above. I currently have two children who attend BYU, and thankfully they raise the bar and intelligence of BYU fans. They would never write a post like you have just written; they have too much class.

I wish the best for Putnam and the Cougs, just not when they play Utah. What an exciting year for football in the state!!!

• RaininTime Orem, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 12:50 a.m.

What is a Ute fan?

1. A Ute fan is mostly more of a Cougar hater, than a Ute booster.
    2. A Ute fan usually accuses Dick Harmon of being a Y homer, all the while ignoring articles by Dirk Facer, Brad Rock and the myriad of TV and Talk radio personalities in this area that are more of the PR arm for the Utes, than anything actually objective.
    3. A Ute fan knows the BYU roster better than he knows the Ute roster.
    4. A Ute fan did not get either accepted or recruited into BYU, hence questions anything and everything related to BYU.
    5. A Ute fan trumps their move to a BCS conference, yet just two years ago decried the BCS for its money-grubbing hypocrisy and elitist explanations for ignoring the many in the name of the few.
    6. A Ute fan isn't necessarily classless, as is proud of those who are classless, especially those who are classless towards BYU, hence they say, "Go Utes."
    7. Most of the Salt Lake media are Ute fans, yet consider it an insult when they are poignantly pro-Ute, in an effort to be unbiased, hypocritically so.

• panamadesnews Lindon, UT
    Aug. 6, 2011 4:30 p.m.

To LifeLong Ute: I didn't know any of the Ute fans were fortune tellers. I look forward to learn how accurate your prediction will be. There are many variables - too many to accurately predict how well BYU, or any team, in fact, will be able to play in the coming year. I could say the exact same thing about the Ute team, but I am not going to set myself up for embarrasement as you have done. I look forward to both teams doing well. My hope is that both will win all of their games, with the exception of the BYU vs Utah game on Sept 17. I look for BYU to win that game. There are more tangibles to help predict the outcome of that game than there are for your prediction. The only thing I can say for certain is that the BYU team and fans are anticipating an exciting season as BYU steps into the realm of independence, a road they have never tread before. Lastly, I say, we will unite and we will conquer.

• Cougar_Independence OMAHA, NE
    Aug. 6, 2011 1:30 p.m.

@mgr63

I was an athlete at BYU, all 4 years, graduated from the highly renowned Mariott School of Business. I know about being a student athlete.

My question for you is this: how do you know Putnam isn't trying?! Perhaps he is trying, but just not doing well. How hard are his classes? What is his major? How many credits is he taking? Is he already eating help from tutors?

The reason I ask all these is because you don't know! I don't know either. So don't jump to assumptions or judgments! Until you can answer any of these questions with actual facts, I could care less what you write.

Regarding the Oklahoma game, BYU knocked out Bradford. Do you know how many total passing yards he had before BYU knocked him out? 60. That's all. He played almost the entire first half, and he had 60 total passing yards. I would say BYU's defense did just fine holding Oklahoma to just 13 points.

How about TCU in 2006? How about Vegas Bowl 2009? Top 25 teams BYU has beaten. We will do it again this year.

Go Cougars!

• SportsFan Orem, UT
    Aug. 6, 2011 10:52 a.m.

GACougar

mgr63 is your prototypical BYU-obsessed hater - talking negatively about BYU, the LDS church, and anything else associated with BYU is what he lives for.

• mgr63 DALLAS, TX
    Aug. 6, 2011 10:41 a.m.

Thanks for the laughs cougar fans. I love reading your commentaries......truly special, very special.

• riddlemethis Clearfield, UT
    Aug. 6, 2011 10:40 a.m.

@truth machine:

great post.

@mgr 63:

BYU has an ineligible player due to academics and you call him out.

Utah has an ineligible player due to academics, so you can either call him out or or take back what you said about Putnam.

If you don't that = hypocrisy.

(Maybe the = sign wasn't the symbol to use, after all you did mention your struggles with math 105...)

• Steve_Timmins LAS VEGAS, NV
    Aug. 6, 2011 10:28 a.m.

To all of my fellow Ute fans who feel the need to try and run smack, please leave this story alone. If you are real Ute fans, you'd know that we've already had 1 4* player declared ineligible and are waited to hear about 1 more who is 50/50. Every program deals with this stuff. I was a bit surprised to hear that Drew Phillips was still having problems. Good luck to everyone trying to get cleared for fall camp and here's hoping that everyone stays healthy.

• GACougar Atlanta, GA
    Aug. 6, 2011 10:15 a.m.

mgr63, why do you care so much about this kid that you are posting seemingly endless comments? Just what is your motivation? Perhaps knowing that would tell us more about you than anything you say in your posts.

• Truth Machine Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 6, 2011 9:52 a.m.

to mgr63 and all of the other BYU haters piling on Putnum

Question: Why isn't projected starter Benji Kemoeatu practicing with the Utes?

Answer: Because he's ACADEMICALLY INELIGIBLE!

But instead of Benji's academic issues being the headline of a story, Whittingham carefully buries the announcement in this innocuous little blurb:

"Considering the ineligibility of projected starter Benji Kemoeatu, and the graduation of guard Caleb Schlauderauff and center Zane Taylor, Whittingham calls the offensive line "the leanest area as far as depth goes" on the team."

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 6, 2011 9:51 a.m.

@mgr

1st of all there isn't a "jordan wynn thread" so I went ahead and read the comments on just about all of the utah articles. I found exactly 0 comments from BYU fans that are in any way "nasty" and directed towards jordan wynn.

As per usual you are just making things up. You realize you don't have any credibility at all don't you? Probably not but the fact remains you don't have any.

Keep posting please as you are a shining example of all or university of utah fandom. You verify every stereotype of utah fans.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    Aug. 6, 2011 9:50 a.m.

mgr63: For you to call this kid a disgrace shows your poor character, if anyone is being disgracefull it is you my friend, grow up, show some understanding and compassion. You don't know what he has done and what he hasn't done to try to keep his grades up. Talk about claseless, you take the cake.

• mgr63 DALLAS, TX
    Aug. 6, 2011 9:49 a.m.

@Cougar Indy,

You certainly are a struggling person. My goodness? I went to that BYU vs Oklahoma game at Cowboy Stadium in 2009. Heisman Trophy Award winning OU quarterback Sam Bradford finally got things going at the end of the second quarter after suffering multiple drive killing false-start penalties on their first three possessions. He was marching down the field absolutely carving up BYU's suspect, as always, secondary when he was blitzed by the BYU safety and knocked him out of the game. A true freshman came in as his replacement. He had never taken a snap, but only a few times in practice. BYU barely held on for a 14-13 victory. The 2009 OU team ended with an 8-5 record, the worst in coach Bob Stoopes' tenure at OU. Tell me that was a "road thumping" sir? HAHAHA! You are something else my friend.

• mgr63 DALLAS, TX
    Aug. 6, 2011 9:46 a.m.

@Cougar Indy,

• Captain L Provo, UT
    Aug. 6, 2011 9:45 a.m.

mgr63: Those posters (mostly ute fans) that think BYU fans are not humble enough because they say they think their team can win 10 or 11 games or have goals to go undefeated have a problem. There is nothing wrong with a fan having high hopes for their team and expressing their hopes, that is not being arogant or proud, it's being hopeful, and for that to offend or upset you is rediculous. Your hatred of BYU is sad. Like I said before, what causes you to have so much hate and to despise BYU or the church?

• mgr63 DALLAS, TX
    Aug. 6, 2011 9:26 a.m.

@Cougar Indy,

You don't know what you are talking about. We are not talking about admissions standards here. He obviously was accepted to BYU. NCAA academic eligibility is a C average which he failed to do for more than two semesters or cumulatively. He signed a contract with BYU, didn't do his schoolwork, he took their money for his education/support and let his team down. I had a math tutor so I could pass math 105 because I cared. The athletic departments bend over backwards to help struggling student athletes.....I know, as I've been there, you haven't, obviously. He is a disgrace. If he couldn't keep his commitment then he should have gotten help, or quit so another kid would be more honorable for the wonderful opportunity he was given. I had a teammate do it and he was the #2 player on our golf team.......he really let us down by not doing his schoolwork. You need to think, or have more discovery before you speak, and stop whining sir.

• mgr63 DALLAS, TX
    Aug. 6, 2011 9:20 a.m.

@Cougar Indy,

• Cougar_Independence OMAHA, NE
    Aug. 6, 2011 9:01 a.m.

@mgr63

"We will never see them thump a great team on the road"

2009, opening game. #20 BYU beats #3 Oklahoma without star running back Harvey Unga.

Good comment mgr63.

• Cougar_Independence OMAHA, NE
    Aug. 6, 2011 8:40 a.m.

@mgr63

Academic standards at U of Hawaii < academic standards at BYU. How do you know this kid isn't trying? You don't know!

Bashing a kid cuz' of grades = classless ute!

Go Cougars!

• riddlemethis Clearfield, UT
    Aug. 6, 2011 8:28 a.m.

lest the grammar police show up, I meant to type there not their

• Colorado Reader Littleton, CO
    Aug. 6, 2011 8:19 a.m.

Correction.we would NOT have enough. Sorry.

• Colorado Reader Littleton, CO
    Aug. 6, 2011 8:17 a.m.

If BYU held the athletes to the same academic standards that the rest of the student body is held to, we would have enough players to field a team! Average ACT for incoming students is a 28 and GPA is 3.8. Looks like it is the athletes that keep it that low! I wonder what the averages are at the school up North! Life is more than Football! Go Cougars!!

• mgr63 DALLAS, TX
    Aug. 6, 2011 7:33 a.m.

@Cougar Independence,

Just a small lil' dig is all my friend. If you want to see "nasty" comments this morning.....go to the Jordan Wynn thread and see how the coug fans carry themselves.......pathetic. I was a full ride scholly Div 1 athlete at the U of Hawaii and it was an honor, treated it as such.......gotta go to school and do your work, or you aren't on the field.......It is that simple. I don't feel sorry for him at all.

• @scottymack28 PROVO, UT
    Aug. 6, 2011 7:31 a.m.

Putnam would be a good guy to fill in for other players this year, and would still be if he could be eligible. However, we have other guys that can fill that void, so I'm not completely worried about him not being around. Good to have in if he was there, but BYU will be fine.

• mgr63 DALLAS, TX
    Aug. 6, 2011 7:23 a.m.

I agree Captain......BYU does put solid teams on the field nearly every year, play very well, if not great as a team at times. And personally, I think Bronco is a GREAT defensive coordinator. But, that isn't what they expect at BYU. The "dreams" of greatness and the teams that they put together now are not capable of that "Return to Glory." They simply cannot, never will be able to recruit certain player types that would enable them to do so. It is impossible, as those kids won't attend BYU, or last long enough there if they chose to. BYU will never make it to a BSC bowl EVER! Now, their schedules for the upcoming few years are weak......of course BYU will achieve a winning record. We will never see them thump a great team on the road however......notta! And this Heaps kid hasn't played a decent game yet against a good team.....so, it remains to be seen in my opinion. That is why BYU fans, after coming off a 7-6 "ABQ toilet bowl" winning season should really try to be more humble........but that is more improbable than BYU winning a legit NC.

• Cougar_Independence OMAHA, NE
    Aug. 6, 2011 7:07 a.m.

@mgr63

"Nothing like a lil' good news to brighten one's day! Go Utes!"

This is the typical classless ute we are talking about. If you want to trash talk someone for their on field performance, then that is fine. This kid is struggling in school and you call it "good news"? How about thinking about a kid's future and showing a little concern for someone trying to get their grades in order to graduate and have a life where he can support himself? Or support a family?

Classless utes, try to not to kick a kid while he is down. I'm glad cougar fans keep the trash talk classy and to "on the field" matters. I will definitely not be bashing any ute football players for not making grades.

Show some respect and a little class. Wish this kid some luck with getting his schoolwork back in order.

Good luck Matt. Go Cougs!

• Captain Sweatpants Hampstead, NC
    Aug. 6, 2011 5:55 a.m.

To my fellow Ute fans who think that BYU will struggle this year - don't kid yourself. The Cougars always, or nearly always, put a solid team of the field, and several unbiased experts predict that they will have a 9 or 10-win season. Hopefully one of the losses is to the Utes.

To Matt Putnam - get your academic issues corrected. Your education is more important than football, and making the grade has to happen before you can play. Good luck.

• mgr63 DALLAS, TX
    Aug. 6, 2011 5:30 a.m.

Nothing like a lil' good news to brighten one's day! Go Utes!

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    Aug. 6, 2011 1:39 a.m.

Hope he can participate. He's a good person, just has trouble with grades for some reason. I don't know.

• riddlemethis Clearfield, UT
    Aug. 6, 2011 1:22 a.m.

Lifelong Ute | 7:11 p.m. Aug. 5, 2011
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Let the excuses begin for another awful season. This team was going nowhere with him. Still going nowhere without him. Good time of year to be a Ute

-----

Good time of year to be a Ute? Are their other times of the year when it is not good to be a ute? Don't worry I'm sure I'm not the only one that noticed the freudian slip of you not looking forward to basketball season.

• Iheartblood Salt Lake, Utah
    Aug. 5, 2011 11:31 p.m.

Very interesting post Football43. Thank you for supplying that info.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Aug. 5, 2011 11:25 p.m.

Does the phrase "gnashing of teeth" come to mind here? If every Ute show up present and ready for duty the first practice, I will be impressed, but really, this many guys and someone let the grades slack over the summer, and you think the whole team is doomed to repeat last year???

Just keep talking to yourselves: "The cougars will self destruct, they aren't all that good, they will be blinded by our shiney new PAC something patches, they're just a bunch of too slow, undersized choir boys anyway."

Bet you liked the "girlzee state" comment. Until you had to eat it.

• football43 Morgan, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 11:21 p.m.

The last post was for our two Ute fans, Life long Ute and Ken. The guys couldn't wait for an article to come out so they could pile on.

• football43 Morgan, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 11:17 p.m.

"After tying Colorado State in 2001, BYU's football program has led the conference in all-academic selections for nine-straight years. In 2010, BYU's 30 honorees led all conference institutions as Utah had 18..." Deseret News February 11, 2011

"The baseline to enroll at BYU and to be part of its football program is a 3.3 GPA, coupled with a 19 on the ACT. There is a bit of a sliding scale, as someone could qualify with a 3.0 GPA and a 24 on the ACT, according to coaches, but they try to stick as closely to the stated "baseline" as possible.

Most schools, particularly state schools, don't have enrollment requirements quite as high as BYU's. Utah, due to its joining the Pac-12, recently raised theirs to a baseline of a 2.6 GPA and an 18 on the ACT..." Deseret News July 5, 2011

Probably at any other school in the PAC 12 he would be eligible to play. The bar is a little higher on the "team down south" than on the "team up north".

Good luck to Putnam on becoming eligible.

• Cougar_Independence OMAHA, NE
    Aug. 5, 2011 10:25 p.m.

I hope Matt can get his academics in order. At least BYU doesn't try to hide it though, like some schools, eg. SEC, big 10, etc.

Time for Manumaleuna to step up!

• BluCoug Provo, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 9:50 p.m.

@ Lifelong Ute

utah will hit rock bottom this year, don't fool yourself.

• Max-was-right springville, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 9:17 p.m.

I see the classy ute fans are out bashing on a young man trying to make it in life....stay classy ute, fans stay classy...

• Randy01 Lees Summit, MO
    Aug. 5, 2011 8:54 p.m.

Tom, obviously you really don't know too much about SEC football.

It was interesting that there was very little coverage of the USA Coavhes poll in the DesNews. I am sure that if either BYU or UTah were ranked, it would have been different.

Sure enjoyed the coverage of the Sporting News ranking BYU 29th.

• CougarOnTheProwl Murray, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 8:43 p.m.

Putnam still has time to get his school work in order and become eligible to play again. If he for some reason doesn't, it gives someone else an opportunity to step in and fill the starting position. BYU has plenty of depth and talent at the position so they will be fine.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Aug. 5, 2011 8:01 p.m.

If this were the SEC it would be a non-issue. No one there is ever academically ineligible. Could say the same for a few other (BCS) programs around the country.

• BYR Woods Cross, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 7:31 p.m.

At least the "team down south" has the integrity to follow the rules.

• flatlander Omaha, NE
    Aug. 5, 2011 7:20 p.m.

Happens at most schools. Makes one wonder what the senior was thinking. Could not make it through summer school

• Ken Sandy, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 7:15 p.m.

And the "exposure" continues. Can this school go a couple months without someone getting kicked out for one reason or another? Shooting yourself in the foot before you even step on the field. And this is why no one and I mean no one knows how to choke like the team down south.

• Poqui Murray, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 7:14 p.m.

tsk! tsk! You have to do your homework if you want to go out and play.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Aug. 5, 2011 7:14 p.m.

This is very disappointing news. I guess it's reasons like this that you have depth. Hopefully, Matt gets his school work in order and we see him on the field next year.

• Lifelong Ute Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 7:11 p.m.

• lonestar Fort Worth, TX
    Aug. 5, 2011 7:07 p.m.

The press release has been reworded - He is CURRENTLY ineligible, and won't participate in fall camp but is working to become eligible for the season.

• RSLJAZZBYUUTAH Syracuse, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 6:59 p.m.

31 tackles is it? Not a big loss a DE!