Faith

LDS Church General Authority Elder Marion D. Hanks dies at age 89

Comments

• ObamaRepublican Chandler, AZ
    Aug. 15, 2011 12:40 p.m.

I will always be grateful for the words Elder Hanks taught me the day he sealed my wife and I in the Temple. "I am sorry are the healing words, use them often". 18 years later we still heed his advice and council!

Thank you Elder for your service, your dedication to the gospel, your sealing authority that united a simple man and his wife so long ago!

• awsomeron1 Oahu, HI
    Aug. 14, 2011 2:15 p.m.

Being a Black Member of the Church. There are just to spins on the Vietnam visit stuff. In 1968 I watched Church Leaders come in and wisit the LDS Service Men. It was not5 aalways pretty with the LDS People for the rest of us.

Let it be 40 years have gone by, and I am glad he came, we where glad anyone came. I was married to a young Mormon Girl Woman at the time so there was some connection. I am also Married to a Fine Mormon Woman today. My former Wife joined the Church several years ago and my Son and Grandson. In 1988 I did the same.

I watch Conference and Read and this Elder was Cool and I liked him.

I also do not believe it was any fault of the Church Leaders from Salt Lake that their where any problems. I have always felt that that was local.

Where about 15 different Races in my Ward, lots of Vets WWII on, Japanese Vets, Hawaiian of my kinds Vets, White Vets, Then when we get done the Tongans take over with their metting.

Its about the Gospel First, all else 2nd.

• FDRfan Sugar City, ID
    Aug. 9, 2011 8:11 p.m.

A great man who influenced a lot of people for good.

• GGCinAZ Phoenix, AZ
    Aug. 9, 2011 9:37 a.m.

My wife and I have know Elder Hanks for most of our lives. He was a good friend of my mother when she was growing up. He was my grandmother's mission president. He lived in my wife's ward and she was good friends with his son Richard. He graciously agreed to perform our marriage in the Salt Lake Temple. He will be greatly missed by us.

Gary G. and Lisa Meredith Cannon

• A_Zion_State_O'Mind FAIR OAKS, CA
    Aug. 8, 2011 8:12 p.m.

I remember sitting in the old mission home, where now sets the conference center, & listening to Elder Hanks. I do not remember his words but I remember the feelings I felt as a young green missionary. It was 1966 & he instructed us missionaries just how Section 50 teaches us to teach. I count myself blessed to have shared his wisdom those many years ago. Thank you for your life Elder Hanks.

• joannedaveyhardy SAN JOSE, CA
    Aug. 8, 2011 1:12 p.m.

My memories of Elder Marion D. Hanks (Duff) began in 1949 when I was a Junior at West High School and was invited to sign up for Seminary. I did, and that was the beginning of my admiration for "Duff" as I took 3 of his early morning seminary classes and was able to graduate from Seminary. He was always available to counsel us in whatever problems we might be having and his solutions and wisdom remain with me to this day. Other than my parents, he was the greatest influence in my life in teaching the gospel in such illuminating ways. His stories and examples from the scriptures have stayed with me and strengthened me over the years. My husband and I had the blessing of hearing him speak and visiting with him in some of the missions we served together, and we both appreciate his love and concern for us and for all missionaries. His General Conference talks were always a highlight for us.
    There is no doubt where he is now and that is a comfort. Our love and sympathy are with his family at this time. Hopefully we will see him in the Eternities.

• barbararidinglowe Goshen, UT
    Aug. 8, 2011 12:28 p.m.

I am sorry to see him go. I always loved his talks and his home town way of speaking. My condolences to his family.

• Timbertek PROVO, UT
    Aug. 8, 2011 11:27 a.m.

Can remember Elder Hanks resonating voice/ the many talks and teaching I heard from him over the years, like it was yesterday. What he was about and what he was giving to us and the great person that he is-- we are so hugely lucky to have been impacted by him and to be able to listen to him teach. Can only imagine the Savior and Joseph Smith eagerly welcoming him on the other side: THANK YOU for your invaluable efforts and the huge difference you made, in building up the Kingdom and strengthening the Youth of the church!

• Theinvisibleman Horsham, W Sussex
    Aug. 8, 2011 9:03 a.m.

Elder Hanks was mission president in the 1960's when my parents were investigating the church. It was Elder Hanks who told my father that it was time to stop procrastinating and make a decision. Due to Elder Hank's influence the right decision was made. Many wonderful missionaries were involved during the two year teaching process and the whole of my family owe  a great debt to Elder Hanks and all his missionaries who changed not only our lives, but hopefully our eternity too. Our love and best wishes to all the family of Elder Hanks.

• VonDieter DRAPER, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 4:50 p.m.

A morale builder he was ! I was serving in Vietnam, Marines 1967 active duty. Elder Hanks spoke to a group of us in a chapel in Da Nang on China Beach. After the meeting was over, I was able to visit with Elder Hanks with a few other guys. As we walked along China Beach he spoke to us with words of incouragement and wisdom that I will never forget . At that time I did not realize how much faith I would need for the time I served in Vietman . I lost close friends and almost lost my life many times in Vietnam. I am today disablied from serving in Vietnam. Thank you Elder Hanks for taking the time to be there with us at a time we needed you so much ! Thank You Dieter Kunkel

• If There is Anything Virtuous Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 7, 2011 1:43 p.m.

Over 20 years ago I heard a talk by Elder Hanks entitled "The Great Commandments." To this day I believe it is one of the best talks ever given on the second great commandment--that we should love our neighbors as ourselves. A few years later, I ended up exchanging letters with Elder Hanks on a very important topic. I will never forget how it felt to have a man who was in such a special position take what I had to say so seriously. It was great to receive that kind of respect. I will miss Elder Hanks and look forward to meeting him in the life after this one.

• DHB Hurricane, UT
    Aug. 6, 2011 9:46 p.m.

I remember and honor Elder Hanks by proxy for one of his British Mission Elders, Elder Lawrence James Slade, now deceased. Perhaps President Hanks and Elder Slade have enjoyed a reunion in the next life. Though somewhat troubled throughout most of his life, Larry loved President Hanks and spoke of him often. In particular he spoke of the individual attention and genuine concern that he received from his busy mission president. Larry was a dear friend, who I remember fondly. I'm smiling at the prospect of his reunion with his beloved mission president. Love and condolences to the Hanks family. Thank you for your lives of service that enabled the marvelous life of service of your beloved husband, father and grandfather.

• cowshed Provo, Utah
    Aug. 6, 2011 8:56 p.m.

Elder Hanks attended as a general authority an Aaronic priesthood awards night in Fillmore, Utah, in the early 1950s when I was about 12 or 13 years old. My father and I had the opportunity to sit opposite Elder Hanks at the banquet table. He regaled all of us at the table with some of his athletics experiences, including playing handball. I don't remember much of what he said in his speech to those in attendance, but I do remember that it appealed greatly to the young men who were there and made him one of those general authorities I always looked forward to hearing in General Conference talks.

The next time I met Elder Hanks in person was in 1991 when he attended our stake conference in Sandy, Utah to participate in dividing our stake and sustaining new stake presidencies. After the conference he interviewed me prior to my call as Bishop of our ward.

Like many Latter-day saints who knew him of knew of him, I will miss Elder Hanks, and wish the best to his family.

• OldWasatchWarder CENTERVILLE, UT
    Aug. 6, 2011 8:49 p.m.

I fondly remember my first memory of Duff. I was 7 or 8 years old (1952-53). He was my brother's priesthood advisor in Wasatch Ward. The youth held a fireside at my parent's home. Duff was the speaker. He related many spiritual experiences of WWII. I hid under the dinning room table in my pajamas to listen. I was riveted. While I remember only one of the stories he told that night, what remains in my heart is the spirit that pervaded the room. The front of our home was jammed with teenagers on folding chairs, but it was so quiet you could have heard a pin drop. No one wanted it to end.

• JanetS CEDAR CITY, UT
    Aug. 6, 2011 8:18 p.m.

Another story shows his "remarkable capacity for ministering to the one." My husband and I met Elder Hanks in the Honolulu Airport in 1970. We were ending my husband's 7-day "R&R" from Vietnam. Elder Hanks and I & my infant boarded a flight to San Francisco to connect with a late SLC flight, but mechanical problems kept us on the tarmac for 2 hours. We landed in SF just minutes before the SLC flight was to leave. I gathered up my infant, child seat, bag, etc. and started across the airport, thinking we'd be spending the night there. Running back in my direction was Elder Hanks. He'd sprinted to the SL flight, clear to the cockpit, & told the pilot (who hadn't been notified about us) to wait. Then he came back to help us get to the flight, taking my infant in his arms and carrying her as I ran behind him. It was a small thing, but typical of this caring man who really looked out for veterans & their families. He's one of the great ones & surely welcomed by many in heaven who he served here.

• BYR Woods Cross, UT
    Aug. 6, 2011 6:19 p.m.

In the summer of 1970 at the age 18, along with 13 other recent high school grads, I was on the work crew for the Hill Cumorah Pageant. He came to speak with the missionaries at the hill, so the work crew were invited to attend. He spoke then opened the time up for questions. One missionary was bold enough to ask about wearing the temple garment ALL hours off the day, regardless of the activity, such as if one was swimming. Elder Hanks caught the real intent of the question and smiled. His reply? "Wear the uniform best suited for the sport."

• I M LDS 2 Provo, UT
    Aug. 6, 2011 5:01 p.m.

89 years is a life filled with service, great memories, and wonderful family. God speed, Duff. You have earned your eternal rest.

• colleen peters Portage, MI
    Aug. 6, 2011 2:17 p.m.

Hard to find room for another comment but I extend condolences to his family and mourn for the loss, to us, of another of the "good guys". I went to West w/Duf Hanks, a great basketball player and one of the leaders, even then, along w/Elaine Anderson (Cannon) whom I admired as they were a year ahead. Often as a reporter for SL Trib/DesNus of the forties and fifties I ran into him doing a "lunch tour" for people at the old Museum on Temple Square. I later became a tour guide for the "new" visitors centers and often thought of him, a quiet guy who treated everyone the same and glowed w/goodness. He will be missed. colleen moore peters

• goatesnotes Kamas, UT
    Aug. 6, 2011 12:55 p.m.

I went to his office years ago to gather biographical information for a tribute we offered him as he stepped down in is roll as an adviser to Sigam Gamma Chi and Lambda Delta Sigma. When I asked his secretary to summarize, she simple said, "He treats people the way the Savior would if He were here."

Amen.

• BigRich Orem, UT
    Aug. 6, 2011 10:33 a.m.

He was an example of the Savior and the best way I can honor him is to try my best to follow his example.

• frankreid Roy, UT
    Aug. 6, 2011 10:29 a.m.

I remember Elder Hanks as the man who set me apart for my mission to Brazil in March, 1958. It took place in his office at the old Church Administration building which still stands next to the Joseph Smith Building on South Temple.
    It would have been just another setting apart by him except for what happened. He laid his hands on my head then began to pray and was praying for several minutes when there was a knock on his door. The person continued to knock, again and again. When it was obvious that they weren't going away he paused and then removed his hands from my head, excused himself and walked to the door. I never saw the person there but it sounded like a woman and I assumed one of the secretaries.
    He then apologized to me and laid his hands on my head again. It took about a full minute for him to restart the prayer. I thought he might start over, but he just picked up from where he had left it and continued on. I wish I had a copy of that prayer and blessing.

• nmsunshine ALBUQUERQUE, NM
    Aug. 6, 2011 10:11 a.m.

Another giant oak has fallen. Heaven sings to have another great servant coming home. May we remember this wonderful man and the good life he led and rejoice for the lives that he touched and made better. Sending heartfelt gratitude and sympathy to the Hanks family.

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 6, 2011 9:18 a.m.

The greatest talk I ever heard from him was his general conference talk on forgiveness in the October 73 sessions. Absolutely life changing. I urge all to read it. My brother was under church discipline at the time for a grave error on his part and this talk helped heal wounds of the soul. I too like him want to qualify as a friend of Christ. I know he did.

• Import BOUNTIFUL, UT
    Aug. 6, 2011 8:38 a.m.

"remarkable capacity for ministering to the one" - I testify he ministered to this one. As a young missionary struggling with the challenges of learning the "rainbow" discussions in the MTC in 1979, he ministered to me. I am grateful to this day. I saved a letter he wrote to me for many, many years.
    I have long believed that there is more joy on the other side when loved ones re-unite than there is sadness here on earth when someone leaves this life. And if we could see that joy on the other side, it would ease our sorrow here somewhat. I am happy for him, but also grieve for his family.
    He still is a great and spiritual ambassador of Christ, I have missed hearing him speak at General Conferences. I will continue to follow his Christlike example of ministering.

• Julianne North Salt Lake, UT
    Aug. 6, 2011 8:24 a.m.

We have lost a good man and speaker. I have enjoyed listening to Elder Hanks growing up and will miss him dearly. To the Hanks family, I hope and pray that the lord will bless you and your family until we see your father and husband again in a better world.

• RSD Pepperell, MA
    Aug. 6, 2011 8:19 a.m.

He was a great example of a great teacher. Humble, approachable, and personable. He spoke in a simple, easy to understand way that touched your heart and went to your very soul. I've seen him stand in a room and with only the scriptures in hand, ask people to pick a page, then a column, then a verse. Then he would discuss that verse, and though it might be a verse I would have passed over many times without a second glance he was able to teach great lessons from what I and others thought was a ho-hum, non-descript verse. He was an amazing teacher. Thank you, Elder Hanks. Well done.

• trapdinutah South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 6, 2011 7:18 a.m.

Living in Tokyo Prefecturein the mid to late 60's just after the first stake in Tokyo was formed, our seminary teacher called us late one night to tell us a general authority had a layover in Tokyo, and was available to talk to us if we could get up to the mission home. After a long train ride into downtown, Elder Hanks and President Komatsu met us. I will ever remember sitting on the floor of the mission home around Elder Hanks as he spoke to us. Then, in the middle of speaking, he stopped and was quiet for what seemed a long moment. Then, he said to us, "I promise you, in the Name of the Lord, that some day, a Temple to the Lord will stand on this very spot." I don't remember one other thing he said (I was only 13-14). But, when the Tokyo temple was announced years later, I was not suprised at all where it was to be located. Thank you, Elder Hanks, for the time you took out of your busy schedule to create such memories.

• Honor Code Denver, Colorado
    Aug. 6, 2011 6:04 a.m.

Had the chance to sit next to Elder Hanks on a flight from New York to Salt Lake City. Great guy!! Condolences to his family, he was one of the better guys!!

• common sense in Idaho Pocatello, id
    Aug. 6, 2011 2:34 a.m.

Just a brief true story about this great man. Back when I was a missionary in Auckland, New Zealand Elder Hanks came to a zone conference and it was announced by our mission president that Elder Hanks would address us for a few minutes. He stood up, walked to the podium with nothing but his scriptures in hand. He opened up the scriptures and gave the elders and sisters there an experience we would never forget. Four straight hours of teaching about the Savior straight from the standard works. We were enthralled and captivated to say the least. A learning experience from a master teacher. It was one of the highlights of my missionary experience. Age has dimmed my memory somewhat but I will never forget that experience that I had as a young missionary from a devoted disciple of the Lord Jesus Christ.

• Utah Girl Vernal, UT
    Aug. 6, 2011 12:32 a.m.

I was privileged to take Institute classes from Elder Hanks in the middle 60's, and when my 1st husband and I were married, he performed the ceremony in the Salt Lake Temple. He was a wonderful teacher, and kind and gentle man, filled with the spirit, and ever ready to give service. Thanks so much, Elder Hanks, for being the example and inspiration that you always were. My condolences to his family at this time of temporary separation from him. How blessed we are to know that families can be eternal!

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 7:58 p.m.

Duff was one of my fav's..........he will be greatly missed!

• ks5 South Jordan, Utah
    Aug. 5, 2011 6:32 p.m.

Is this a recent picture of him.?

• Brother Dave Livermore, CA
    Aug. 5, 2011 4:53 p.m.

When I was younger, I would always remember Brother Hanks giving addresses in
    General Conference. He was one of the BEST, I always thought: one that I always looked forward to. This was back when David O. McKay was prophet, Hugh B. Brown, and J. Rueben Clark were counselors.

It's sad to see him leave this world, but in the Next World, I'm sure he will be a gifted speaker and worker there too. He lived a Good Life here in
    Earth Life.

God Bless Elder Marion D Hanks!!!

• Global Warner Provo, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 4:34 p.m.

The heavens rejoice though our tears flow here on earth. Last week, Chieko died. Now my friend, Duff, who I just visited a few weeks ago. He was chairman of the board of Enterprise Mentors in the Philippines, always leading our meetings with great humor and insight. We were partners on the Ouelessebougou Alliance board for a decade or more of work in Mali. He mentored me, loved me, and supported our poverty-fighting projects around the globe. Duff was so wise, so kind, so humble. Decades ago he pushed for the Church to encourage missionary community service among the poor around the world. His sermons were always uplifting and expressions of joy. He left a legacy of community service through his beloved wife, Maxine, kids, and grandchildren, many of whom Ive enjoyed collaborating with in places like Nigeria, Guatemala, Honduras, and Thailand. Thank you, Duff, for your stories, example, and personal concern for each of us.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 3:13 p.m.

I loved his sermons and talks.

• Gr8bald1 San Diego, CA
    Aug. 5, 2011 2:54 p.m.

A good, kind, thoughtful, and most humble man. I had a nice chat with him at Aspen Grove one summers afternoon back in the 80's. I was lifted by his spirit -- and that he just honestly wanted to get to know the "Saints".