Sports

Brad Rock: Utah Utes football: Linemen need to protect Jordan Wynn to get wins

Comments

• Cougar_Independence OMAHA, NE
    Aug. 6, 2011 9:10 a.m.

How to get Jordan Wynn to wet himself:

Whisper in his ear "Jordan Pendalton is coming."

Fear the JP!

Jordan Wynn goes down in 2011, Utah will not
    Make it to a bowl game...

• Clear Thinker Draper, UT
    Aug. 6, 2011 8:22 a.m.

Wow the coaching staff is extremely worried about the vulnerability of Wynn lasting this season. A brand new offensive line at this point is poor timing. I hope that Wynn can survive the season from a health perspective, but I wouldn't bank on him getting past the first couple of games. A healthy Wynn could produce a solid season an injured Wynn could be disasterous.

• MichiganCoog Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 6, 2011 7:31 a.m.

Mr Rock? How long did it take to figure that one out? Gee do ya think? As cougar fan, or any fan for that matter...if you don't protect your QB, you lose. I think the Utes have an adequate OL, the real question is Mr Wynn? With a veteran OL last year, he looked like a dear-in-the-headlights, when under pressure...with a veteran OL and experience RB's. Now that he has 3 brand new RB's (yes talented), and a less experience OL, a new offense, and no experienced backups at QB, Utah is one hit away from total disaster...

We a comment just mentioned: "Offensive coordinator Norm Chow acknowledged "it scared the heck out of us" when Wynn went down on the quarterback-running back exchange mix-up." ...says it all.

Good luck Utez, ya'll are gonna need it.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 11:19 p.m.

@MiP

"Oh and if any team loses their starting QB it's not good. What if Heaps goes down at Ole Miss?..."
    ===

The story is about the O-line...

Which means any good DC is going to try to expose that and get to Wynn.

I'm not hating on the guy.

What I said stands.

However, I don't see much faith in Wynn's durability coming off the hill...

Quoting the Utes' OC.

What happens when the kid gets hit?

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    Aug. 5, 2011 9:04 p.m.

sammyg | 1:19 a.m. Aug. 5, 2011
    Springville, UT
    "Time to really start worrying. I'm thinking Montana State could actually expose the Utes in the opening game."

Uh, are we supposed to "mark this down?"

Veritas Aequitas | 11:27 a.m. Aug. 5, 2011
    Fruit Heights, UT
    "Although SammyG is a bit over the top, he is correct that if a school can get to Wynn early, it could mean a long season for the Utes."

Except that HE didn't actually say that. The article did. It said that with a healthy Wynn, the Utes could win the south, but with an injured one they could lose every conference game. I agree that's possible. I even agree it's possible an FBS team could lose to an FCS team (ex: Jacksonville St. on the road at Ole Miss last year) and the Utes won't take MSU for granted. But worried? Hardly. Ask sammyg to make a bet on it...then we'll see.

• CocoNutzz Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 1:25 p.m.

Wait a minute...If the linemen cant protect the QB they could lose games??

It must really be a slow news day if this is what the DNews is writing now a days

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 11:27 a.m.

Wynn looked solid on TV last night.

"Utah Utes football: Linemen need to protect Jordan Wynn to get wins" seems to be dead on.

If there is a percieved weakness in the O-line, look for the defenses to come extra hard after Wynn. It will be interesting to see how the kid handles the pressure.

I hope that bgl is correct, and Wynn has the protection to be healthy all season.

Chow can't play chess without the proper pieces.

• LehiUte Lehi, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 11:18 a.m.

Protection of the QB is always important. The O-line has been very good for Utah and I don't see any major letdown this year. The days of wondering how in the world the Utes will be able to replace a good starter after graduation or injury are fading quickly as depth is building. I'm confident in this coaching staff and the program that is continuing to strengthen itself.

• bgl Santa Monica, CA
    Aug. 5, 2011 10:55 a.m.

Anyone who lines up alongside of Tony Bergstrom and John Cullen had better be good. I trust these two as leaders of the offensive line as much as Beadles, Taylor and Schladerhoff. I think the Utes are sandbagging a bit here and that our offensive line will be stellar with solid starting crew and a few beasts waiting for reps on the sidelines, like hungry Dickensean orphans staring at a breakfast table of kippers, bacon and eggs and fried bread.

• Hawkyo SYRACUSE, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 10:45 a.m.

For Utah's sake I hope Wynn gets protection, because he gets happy feet when he is pushed out of the pocket. I can see USC, BYU, and a couple of others like AZ St giving Wynn fits. Hopefully the Utes win the south division. Good luck Utes, you're going to need it!

• Dave S Holladay, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 10:34 a.m.

RE: Brave Sir Robin

I couldn't have said it any better myself. sammyg needs to focus on and worry about his own mid-major independent program and leave the big boys alone.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Aug. 5, 2011 9:59 a.m.

sammyg, you must have taken a wrong turn on the internet somewhere. This is a PAC-12 article. The articles on non-AQ, mid-major independents are back on page D17.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 9:11 a.m.

How good a scrambler is Wynn? I seem to remember that he has average mobility. If he can scramble a little, the Utes should be OK. I seem to remember that he was surrounded by a better O-Line and skill position players the last two years. I am also a little surprised that the U O-line is in question. They are usually a pretty deep group.

• DrUte Woods Cross, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 9:10 a.m.

???????????

Wow, prophets of Doom! It was axiomatic on every team I ever played for that every person had to be ready to step up. No one has a free ride.

Surprise Surprise! People get hurt in D1 football. (Something new here?)

In fact, it's not IF someone is going to be dinged, it's WHEN.

Shreve & Hayes know that, & the coaching staff will use this time to help them get ready. The U coaching crew is solid & top notch. I'd bet a sawbuck they've been doing high intensity transition stuff (playbook & timing) for weeks now. Spring Ball is not the End All.

In fact, I'd like to see both of them get some quality playing time this year. Hayes has great statistics (altho in a different venue) and Shreve can throw a ball THRU a receiver. They ain't chopped liver by any means. I hope they get a chance to show their skills in a significant way.

So c'mon, show these guys some love, give them a boost on the blog.

Lots to look forward to this year, Go Utes!!!!!

• Moderate Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 9:07 a.m.

The way the DNews has been covering both teams, I suppose tomorrow's headline will be "BYU Cougar football: Lineman need to protect Jake Heaps to get wins".

• Dand_Ute WEST JORDAN, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 8:31 a.m.

I think that then new offense will help. But Wynn HAS to be tougher. He is going to get hit. That's not a question! He will get hit sometime this year and if he can't handle it, the season it done. It's precarious at best.

• pittsburgh Ute West Jordan, Utah
    Aug. 5, 2011 8:25 a.m.

T.S Zarathrustra, have you ever seen Benji play? The man is not only huge, he is strong and fast. There are some that feel he is NFL ready today. He would have been a starter for sure. I dont think anyone was expecting him to make it this year as much as they were hoping he would. Benji would have been a great addition, now we just need to work around that loss. I cant wait to see the new O under coach Norm.
    The new exciting PAC 12 era for the Utes begins in 3...2...1

• Ufan Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 8:17 a.m.

Coach Whit may want to consider moving a couple of defensive linemen to offense. If Wynn goes down to an injury, losing every conference game is a real possibility.

• T.S.Zarathrustra Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 7:19 a.m.

How on earth did Rock come to think of Benji Kemoeatu as a projected starter? He has good bloodlines and enormous size and is therefore worth taking a chance on. At best he was going to make the two deep and provide some injury insurance. It is axiomatic that the OL must protect a team's QB and this year's bunch looks fully ready to do so. if Kemoeatu had anyone else for brothers Utah would never have taken any interest in him. Utah has never been counting on him. His absence is neither unexpected nor of much consequence.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Aug. 5, 2011 1:19 a.m.

Time to really start worrying. I'm thinking Montana State could actually expose the Utes in the opening game. If they can't do it, then I'm sure USC will and of course... the Cougars as well.

Sweet revenge coming soon!

Ute panic begins in 3... 2... 1

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 4, 2011 10:20 p.m.

I hope Hayes gets up to speed quickly because Shreve didn't look too good in the Spring game.
    I hate to say it but I just don't trust that Wynn will stay healthy against Pac12 defenses and an O-line that is very thin.
    Just being real. That being said, I'll hope for the best. Go Utes!