Utah

LDS leader, author, speaker Chieko Okazaki dies

Comments

• GentleDove Mesa, AZ
    Aug. 5, 2011 11:54 a.m.

What an elected lady! She was such a ray of heavenly sunshine that shone into our very beings and filled us with the love of the Lord and with the light of truth that was simply but profoundly shared by her. May her family be blessed by heaven because of she was a woman of God.

• pedrotan Tacloban City, Philippines
    Aug. 4, 2011 11:41 p.m.

She is an example of what integrity is all about. I want to live my life at its very best because I have known her. I love you, Sis. Chieko!

• Elder Allen MORGAN, UT
    Aug. 4, 2011 10:37 p.m.

I first met Sister Okazaki over 40 years ago as a green missionary in Kobe, Japan. She was my mission mother and so very kind and understanding. She was a good cook and I was blessed to eat many of the meals she prepared especially for us missionaries. I remember her joking with me when I received my first mission assignment. I was sent to Matsuyama and had little command of the Japanese language. She had to pronounce it for me several times and finally gave me the spelling and I wrote it on my hand so I could remember it. She surprised me with birthday cards, long after she had left Japan. I loved her and President Okazaki and they loved me. She has been an inspiration and friend for over 40 years. Her words and wisdom will continue to inspire. My condolences to her posterity and God bless her in her new assignments.

• SLMG Murtoa Australia, Victoria
    Aug. 4, 2011 3:06 p.m.

Dear sister Okazaki,
    You will be truly missed but your teachings will live on into eternity. Thank you for all you have given to each of us as members of the Church. Your books, tapes, CDs and talks have strengthened many testimonies, especially mine.
    You are deeply loved by myself and I'm sure many - many more.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    Aug. 4, 2011 12:39 p.m.

I would point out that Sister Okazaki was not the first LDS Church leader of non-European descent. This distinction would probably go to Adney Y. Komatsu, also a Hawaii born child of Japanese parents, who was called as an assistant to the 12 in I believe 1974. Elder Kikuchi is currently the longest serving non-emeritized member of the 1st quorum of the 70, and he was called in I believe 1976. He was only the second general authority not resident in the US or Canada at the time of his call, the first having been Charles Dedier. Elder Kikuchi was the first general authority called from Asia, would remain the only one for about a decade and the only member of the 1st Quorum of the Seventy from Asia until Elder Teh was called about 6 or so years ago.

• Democrat Provo, UT
    Aug. 4, 2011 11:47 a.m.

Does anyone know what day Sister Okazaki died? Both the Deseret News and Tribune have nice articles but unless I'm out of it, I dont' see the date of her passing.

• katamb-midvale Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 4, 2011 11:02 a.m.

Well done, thou good and faithful servant. We'll miss you Sister O.

• Global Warner Provo, UT
    Aug. 4, 2011 10:49 a.m.

Dear Chieko, we will miss your insights and poignant stories. You were of such service to the women of the Church, as well as the larger world. You also helped us males be less obsessed with the love of power, authority and all things chauvinistic. Having benefitted from your wisdom on a number of our NGO boards and projects to empower the poor has been a rich blessing in my life, as well as to many others.

• cougar76 Raleigh, NC
    Aug. 4, 2011 10:41 a.m.

I am sure Herbal Tea Partier's first comment was meant for "rightascension" and not "easterobserver."

• Herbal Tea Partier Kearns, UT
    Aug. 4, 2011 9:12 a.m.

easternobserver, what in the world are you talking about?

Antoher thing that confuses me is in the article it says that the funeral will be on October 10th. Please tell me that was a mistake and the funeral is really August 10th.

My condolences to her family and millions of friends around the world. She's a special lady and I have been uplifted by her talks and books. Thank you to her family for sharing her with us.

• IdahoGirl Pocatello, ID
    Aug. 4, 2011 8:54 a.m.

Avery humble, classy lady! I had the opportunity of meeting her & she made you feel like you were the only person she was talking to when you were with her. I love her & am saddened by this news, but oh what a wonderful reunion for her! God bless her family during this time. We will always remember Sister O!

• Macaw Herriman, UT
    Aug. 4, 2011 7:59 a.m.

I remember the first time I saw Sister O speak in General Conference and how impressed I was with her. I always loved her talks, they were so down to earth and humble. She was loved and will be missed.

• jdcray Richmond, VA
    Aug. 4, 2011 7:44 a.m.

As an alumnus of SVU, I'm so grateful for the invaluable service she rendered as a member of the Board in the final decade of life. Her example is inspiring!

• manaen Buena Park, CA
    Aug. 4, 2011 7:43 a.m.

Farewell, dear Sister. Your compassion richly blessed my life and many others' lives. I still use your talk on healing from sexual abuse to help women here in SoCal.

• Ricardo Carvalho Provo, UT
    Aug. 4, 2011 7:37 a.m.

I think Sister Okazaki may have done more to shape the cultural sensitivity of the Church than any other leader. Thank you and may you enjoy the next stage of your life.

• Julianne North Salt Lake, UT
    Aug. 4, 2011 7:20 a.m.

My condolences go out the the Okazaki family. May the Lord bless you until we see your mother and grandmother again. I always loved hearing her speak and we will miss her dearly.

• easternobserver Denton, MD
    Aug. 4, 2011 7:04 a.m.

About 20 years ago, I was blessed to attend a Relief Society Conference in Philadelphia at which Sister Okazaki was the featured speaker. Her wisdom, humor, and the spirit that flowed through her to the sisters had a profound impact on me as a relatively new member of the church and overwhelmed young mother. She was such an awesome storyteller and had a special knack for drawing parallels with everyday objects/situations to give insight into the scriptures and gospel principles. I always looked forward to her next book and still go back to my collection of them often. Disciples, in particular, is special to me, as it was published around the time that we were coming to grips with the extent of our youngest son's profound disabilities. A section in a later chapter of that book was just what I needed to accept the situation and press forward. Sister Okazaki dedicated her life to being one of Heavenly Father's instruments in bringing comfort and joy to untold numbers of women around the world.

• rightascension Provo, UT
    Aug. 4, 2011 5:49 a.m.

When priesthood correlation took control of the LDS Church in 1970, one of its goals was to insure no woman auxiliary leader ever became an independent power in her own right. It has been successful, for the most part. Yet a few women outsmarted correlation to become superstars. She comes to mind first, along with Sheri Dew. I oncesaw her live in action once in the mid 1990s. She was one of the great LDS speakers of her generation.

• paperboy111 Lindon, UT
    Aug. 4, 2011 1:23 a.m.

Chieko Okazaki is in my estimation one of the most spiritual and greatest LDS leaders, bar none, the church has ever seen.

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    Aug. 3, 2011 11:41 p.m.

The Spirit world is rejoicing, they have just had a vibrant and powerful woman join with them. I really admired her and am happy that she is able to be with her husband now.

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 3, 2011 9:54 p.m.

She was amazing and always oozed integrity.....Condolences to Ken who would never take advantage of a client...he must have learned the value of integrity from his mother...

• Sarah B SLC, UT
    Aug. 3, 2011 9:47 p.m.

I was so surprised to find out her age. She always seemed so energetic. Condolences to her family.

• mytymouse09 SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Aug. 3, 2011 9:10 p.m.

Always loved to hear Sister Okazaki speak, and enjoyed her books also. What a special lady, an "elect lady" indeed! Thank you to her family for sharing their loved one with us, and I'm sure their understanding of the Gospel will help bring peace to their lives during their time of sorrow.

• cindyacre Shelley, ID
    Aug. 3, 2011 7:08 p.m.

Met her in Miami - wow what a spiritual powerhouse!

• md Cache, UT
    Aug. 3, 2011 6:56 p.m.

A great lady!

• coltakashi Richland, WA
    Aug. 3, 2011 6:12 p.m.

Sister Okazaki served with her husband when he was president of the Japan-Okinawa Mission (basically Japan south of Tokyo) from 1968-1971. Her compassion and love for the people of Japan is something she will take with her.

• jca Cedar City, UT
    Aug. 3, 2011 4:44 p.m.

Congratulations, Chieko Okazaki. A life well lived. Enjoy your reunions. :)