Utah

BYU again No. 1 stone-cold sober

Comments

• BYUCOLORADO Castle Rock, CO
    Aug. 3, 2011 3:33 p.m.

I never saw alcohol my entire time there.

• AZCurmudgeon Show Low, AZ
    Aug. 3, 2011 12:52 a.m.

BYU is boring? How exciting can it be to wake up in the morning with a drink-induced headache, an overpowering scent of stale alcohol and vomit, and absolutely no idea about why you're clinging to a stuffed Barney doll and where your shirt went. Actually, I guess trying to find your way back to your dorm/apartment might be very exciting.

• JSB Sugar City, ID
    Aug. 2, 2011 11:38 p.m.

I'd be interested to know what universities have the lowest rates of STDs.

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    Aug. 2, 2011 8:24 p.m.

re: Goleta | 1:07 p.m. Aug. 2, 2011

I don't know about that. I'd bet kids apply to Cal St Chico & FL State simply because of their reps as party schools.

• Kent Larsen New York, New York
    Aug. 2, 2011 8:19 p.m.

Thanks to Tad for the mention in this article.

I did try to "top" the description from two years ago -- on the Notes from All Over section on Times and Seasons.

I don't know if I was successful or not in toping the previous description. But it was fun trying.

• taxed2death Sandy, UT
    Aug. 2, 2011 8:17 p.m.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life" --- Dean Wormer, Faber College

• Wally West SLC, UT
    Aug. 2, 2011 8:16 p.m.

re: Red Headed Stranger | 9:50 p.m. Aug. 1, 2011

Az St coeds >>> BYU coeds.

re: Cats @ 9:04 a.m.

Have you heard there is at least an ounce of truth in every pound of sarcasm?

• Shazandra Bakersfield, CA
    Aug. 2, 2011 6:23 p.m.

Congrats to BYU for this distinction.
    I went from '69-71, not fully thrilled to be going to a "country" Utah school when I left southern Cal at the cool age of 17. Two years later, with a little maturity and perspective, I was sad that I had to endure my junior year at UC Northridge (SFVSC). It was the epitome of hedonism and amoral academia, from profs to students.

The value of my education at the Y was inestimable. For those who follow the wisdom of the Writer of Proverbs, we only want His accolades. All you other party schools, hope you were educated in something of eternal value.

• Makoto13 SAINT CLAIR SHORES, MI
    Aug. 2, 2011 6:02 p.m.

When Michigan raised the drinking age to 21 I was in college and got punched in the face because I voted for the age hike. I congratulate BYU and may your streak continue for many years.

• A voice of Reason Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 2, 2011 3:38 p.m.

WoahTurbo:

You said, "Are you trying to tell me that drinking is more dangerous than something like... hmm.. say.. Sugar? or Salt? Give me the statistics of people who die from heart disease realated to obiesity and then compare them with your DUI numbers."

The problem is that your analogy is false, where mine provided an accurate description of what is actually taking place.

A DUI-caused accident can result in someone else being killed.

All obesity-related Heart Disease deaths are self inflicted.

"No Doctor, my health problems are because my wife fed me an unhealthy diet" - See the problem? Being drunk certainly will self-inflict, but the primary reason why it concerns others is this- We form our government to protect us. Anytime someones actions infringe these rights it most certainly warrants the public interest and gives cause for using law and enforcement to protect our rights.

As much as people hate drinking laws in Utah, we have a far superior system- allow people to legitimately do what they want in their home, but in public strict monitoring and regulation and when violated, strict enforcement. It preserves individual freedom and holds people to accountability.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Aug. 2, 2011 3:32 p.m.

@WoahTurbo, you're easily amused. Only a fool would defend alcohol. Alcohol has hurt more people than all wars put together.

@Rocket Science--don't have any answers, but some people are slow with cognitive reasoning.

• bluecoug89 Highland, UT
    Aug. 2, 2011 3:30 p.m.

@ Goleta,

You're just bitter that BYU didn't accept you

• Tad Walch
    Aug. 2, 2011 2:52 p.m.

Isred and Rogerdpack2 bring up a good question. Do schools want or not want to be known as party schools?
    The fact is the title is unwanted, as proved yesterday by Ohio University's swift reaction to being named the top party school.
    ABC reported: "Ohio University's party reputation has long vexed administrators at the riverside school of about 20,000 students."
    In The Chronicle of Higher Education, a professor wrote, "my university topped the party-school list, to my chagrin."
    ABC5 reported, "Ohio University is the place to party, according to the most recent rankings from the Princeton Review. But the universitys president isnt too happy with that distinction."
    (Ohio has been among the top 10 on the party list 12 times since 1997.)
    The president's email to faculty and staff: "In the past five years, we have enacted programs and policy changes that have helped reduce instances of high-risk behavior at Ohio University including a 49 percent decrease in alcohol-related judicial violations and an 8 percent decrease in self-reported high-risk drinking by our students."
    Ohio's reaction is typical of schools that hit the party list.

• Rocket Science Brigham City, UT
    Aug. 2, 2011 2:34 p.m.

Again I find it interesting how some persons are anti BYU regardless of what the topic is. This is just something that Princeton decided to publish, no competition just information. For Stone cold sober, BYU would always expect to be one of the best. As for sports teams there is always a hope to be among the best but never at the expense of other standards.

Just a question for all the anti BYU crowd. If you don't care, Im surprised you enven read the article - but what do you have against BYU? I'd like to know. If it is your favorite sports teams are Utah, Utah State, etc. I understand but other than competition in NCAA atheletics what do you have against BYU?

• marcamus goochland, va
    Aug. 2, 2011 2:24 p.m.

congrats cougars!!

• WoahTurbo Murray, UT
    Aug. 2, 2011 1:51 p.m.

worf that was hilarious! you seriously have me laughing. That has an awesome ring to it... Drunken Sugar Addict husband. High on Salt. Hilarious! (Ironically some bathing salt was taken off the market a couple months ago because kids were getting high on it).

• Goleta Holladay, UT
    Aug. 2, 2011 1:07 p.m.

Fact is, no one cares about these rankings. When students apply to schools, they want the one that will give them the best job and the best training. In that regard, most schools in Utah aren't even in the top 20 in most categories.

I'll take my stone cold degree from Stanford over anything BYU has to offer.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Aug. 2, 2011 12:58 p.m.

@WoahTurbo:

No difference. Someone high on salt ran over my dog. My neighbors were divorced because the wife was beaten by her drunken sugar addicted husband.

• WoahTurbo Murray, UT
    Aug. 2, 2011 12:27 p.m.

Voice of unreason,

• Rocket Science Brigham City, UT
    Aug. 2, 2011 11:57 a.m.

Some believe a normal college experience involves drinking despite the fact that many college students are under age. Breaking the law seems to be OK if it is binge drinking and at college. I'm glad BYU and a few other schools have a different standard.

It is interesting that the U has had to do things to try to control persons bringing alcohol into Rice Eccles Stadium in order to try to avoid the offense those persons gave to others of their own fans. Attendance was down some years ago in part due to the oout of control drunken fans offending other U fans. I beleive the attendance has been up since they instituted more strict alcohol rules at U games.

It is nice that alcohol is not a worry at Level Edwards Stadium, except of course when a few U fans attend, bring in alcohol and unfortunately give other U fans a bad reputation.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Aug. 2, 2011 11:51 a.m.

It's amazing how ten thousand colleges can be permissive with drinking,sex, attire, and partying. Than with just one college with an honor code, the wrath of Chris B is kindled. Doesn't make sense.

• Jemmy Greenwood Village, CO
    Aug. 2, 2011 11:21 a.m.

BYU earns my respect for this distinction. I'm a graduate of the University of Colorado (graduate school). What passes for undergraduate education at CU is a laughable. I'd never send my child to CU due to the prevailing party atmosphere there.

The discussion about sports is just silly. Seriously, who cares about the sports teams? I could not care less. I attended university to get an education.

• A voice of Reason Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 2, 2011 10:27 a.m.

bluecoug89: Agreed!

bikeboy: "Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life." - GREAT quote!

-------

Any rational that drinking doesn't risk damaging and/or deadly affects on this world is a rational of denial. People will say 'but not everyone gets drunk and does something stupid'. My reply, 'yes, but 1) So many of them do, and 2) Your ability to make decisions decreases with each drink, increasing your level of intoxication; therefore making the first sip a risk and each following swallow an even greater risk each time.'

It's a game of Russian Roulette. Not everyone gets hurts so it's okay, right?

What a perfect analogy... I think Russian Roulette works perfectly! See, I simply won't sit at that table, because I believe that it's about as illogical as it gets. The only real problem with my analogy is that Russian Roulette isn't as bad as drinking- you don't point the gun at people not sitting at the table. Drinking and driving does exactly that.

I kindly suggest that no one offer a counterargument my point, unless they intend on posting the number of DUI related deaths recorded in the world each year before their argument.

• bjb SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Aug. 2, 2011 10:11 a.m.

I need to get my BYU friends to take this survey! It might help knock BYU out of the #1 spot!

• WoahTurbo Murray, UT
    Aug. 2, 2011 10:02 a.m.

Thanks for the spelling lesson Riverton Cougar, I appreciate it. And yes Cats, I never miss a chance to get a jab in there. I'm not trying to feel better about myself, I just enjoy ruffling the feathers of the self righteous, naive, close minded people that dominates utah county. It gives me the warm fuzzies ;)

• bikeboy Boise, ID
    Aug. 2, 2011 9:34 a.m.

There are three other colleges where use of Demon Reefer is lower than BYU? I'm shocked! Shocked, I tell you!

Good on you BYU students! As Dean Wormer said, "Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life."

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    Aug. 2, 2011 9:10 a.m.

"aw... to live in the bubble that is utah county... who needs alcohol when you have Dr Pepper and Mtn Dew? Mormons pound soda harder than an alcoholic pounds beer and liquor. mmmmm! Sugar and Caffiene!"

First of all, it's spelled "caffeine". Second, I can tell you from personal experience that you are completely wrong. While some are addicted to caffeine, many Mormons avoid caffeine and soda, so the generalized statement you make is like saying all Germans are in favor of genocide. No drinks on BYU campus even contain caffeine. What an ignorant thing to say.

Chris B, hopefully we can both agree that there are more important things in life than your school having "the best" athletes. Besides, for being the 25th most prestigious football program of all time with a national championship and 3x as many top 25 finishes as the U, I'd say BYU is doing well at landing great athletes! Are they "the best"? Probably not, but they have their freedom from addiction and guilt and shame that comes from doing the stupid things college students do at almost every other university.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    Aug. 2, 2011 9:04 a.m.

Dear WoahTurbo: Just can pass up a chance to bash BYU and Mormons, can you. Are you trying to feel better about yourself?

• DD JayMario American Fork, UT
    Aug. 2, 2011 9:01 a.m.

With the high cost of a college education, I can't imagine any parents, LDS or not, happy to send their kids to a college identified as the "partyingest."

• bluecoug89 Highland, UT
    Aug. 2, 2011 9:01 a.m.

@ A voice of reason,

It was a funny comment but it's true. I have lived outside of "the bubble" as people call it and what he said is pretty true. I have seen people beat on their families first hand, I have seen the streets literally covered at night with drunk men sleeping with the dogs because they weren't allowed home if they were drunk, I have seen people literally urinate all over themselves, and I have seen people make complete fools of themselves and not even realize it, all because they were drunk. Why would you want to do that to yourself? You might as well beat yourself across the head with a hammer. At least you're not hurting those you love, just yourself.

• bluecoug89 Highland, UT
    Aug. 2, 2011 8:53 a.m.

I love how everyone is trying to bash BYU and being stone cold sober but didn't you guys ever stop to think that we want that? That we're proud of that? You guys make it sound like it was some kind of accident or something. Nothing you guys say can and will make us feel bad. It's an uphill battle that you will NEVER win.

• WoahTurbo Murray, UT
    Aug. 2, 2011 7:28 a.m.

• rightascension Provo, UT
    Aug. 2, 2011 5:45 a.m.

congratulates BYU on this landmark achievement.

Alcohol consumption goes on at BYU -- any BYU bishop can give you the statistics. However, BYU and to a lesser degree UVU both demonstrate less hypocrisy on alcohol than other universities, which decry for the record illicit drug abuse and yet regard binge drinking among under age students as a cute f rite of passage. How long will that fly in the face of logic?

• Honor Code Denver, Colorado
    Aug. 2, 2011 2:10 a.m.

I've been to a lot of sporting events in Provo and I've come to the conclusion who needs alcohol when you've got all that sugar to pass around???!

• A voice of Reason Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 2, 2011 12:32 a.m.

To Mountanman, Wow man... like... that would save a lot money... dude! Where's my hammer?

lol, I don't think I've read a funnier comment on here than yours!

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Aug. 1, 2011 10:50 p.m.

Good job on not drinking BYU students. Now just keep from lighting each other on fire at abandoned mines.

• Chris B's psychiatrist Iowa City, IA
    Aug. 1, 2011 10:21 p.m.

@ Red Headed Stranger: Thanks for your comments and pointing out the realities of alcohol abuse. I too have see the tragedies of alcohol abuse and the lives of many talented young people damaged. A school that teaches responsibility, temperance, and high standards in all aspects of life including academics is to be commended.

• crowntown1 Corona, CA
    Aug. 1, 2011 10:05 p.m.

why is this being reported? THey should be number one sober uni. A bigger story would be if they weren't.

• Red Headed Stranger Billy Bobs, TX
    Aug. 1, 2011 9:50 p.m.

Chris B,

- An intoxicated driver hit my mom's car. Her neck moved forward so much she had lipstick on her shirt.
    - An intoxicated driver ran through an intersection at 50 mph hitting my second cousin and killed his wife and two children under 5.
    - The grandmother who raised my wife was an alcoholic. I will withhold the details, but my future wife was subject to repeated public humiliation because of the things her grandmother did.
    - Two different women with whom I shared an office both had teen age daughters who got drunk at parties and were raped. Both young women had significant subsequent mental, family and legal problems.
    - I knew an engineer who had transferred from Arizona State to BYU. He said that the academic competition at the Y was much harder than ASU. In Arizona his classmates were bleary eyed and hungover.

I went to college to learn. I turned down an academic scholarship at the University of Washington to be in a place where academics was taken seriously, not the grotesque bacchanalia you seem to think is "normal." I had fun, I had girlfriends and I studied hard. Please leave things you don't understand alone.

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    Aug. 1, 2011 8:44 p.m.

Why would anyone with a brain drink alcohol? Why not just hit yourself in the head with a hammer everyday? The effects are about the same and think of the money you would save!

• A voice of Reason Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 1, 2011 8:43 p.m.

Chris B:

1) I am one of the most sports illiterate persons on this entire planet. I know maybe 10 names in sports but I hardly know who they are... I only hear them frequently. And you're trying to tell me that Jimmer isn't a top athlete? lol, even I know otherwise.

2) I grew up asking 'what does football have to do with education?' - No offense intended to sports lovers out there... but I'm still asking that question.

My second point wasn't really to make the sports point I often question... I'm relating it to this point... a school full of students who don't drink has a LOT more to do with education than one full of binging, sex-craved, party-life, behaviors... which are contrary to what 'growing up and taking responsibility' have anything to do with.

BYU getting this award is a mark of honor in a dwindling society. I respect this label and hope it continues.

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    Aug. 1, 2011 8:31 p.m.

What does all this mean? To me it means my kid fought in Iraq so your kids can party in college,but not at BYU. For which I express my deep gratitude for both my son's and for BYU's honor. Something the world could certainly use more of.

• Wally West SLC, UT
    Aug. 1, 2011 8:31 p.m.

re: Mormon Ute | 2:15 p.m. Aug. 1, 2011

"In fact, I think the gap is widening between BYU and the rest of the universities."

Other schools are drinking more to cope w/ the new independent attitude?

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Aug. 1, 2011 7:22 p.m.

rodgerdpack2
    Many students look for schools with a party reputation but I doubt you will find any school administrators who will say that they are happy that their school has a party reputation. Why? Because they are grown up and mature and have fully functional brains.
    As a parent, if you want your kids to party and be immoral, you have some pretty serious issues of your own to deal with.

The college in LaCrosse Wi. is near a popular park that borders the Missisippi river. In the past several years at least 3 students have been so drunk that they have fallen into the river and drown. A student during frat initiations at USU got so drunk a few years ago he died of alcohol poisoning. I wonder if the parents of all of the students who have died from alcohol or drugs or contracted HIV from "partying" with infected partners wish their children had decided on BYU?

But you go ahead and send your kids to the party schools. Odds are they won't be one of the ones who die or are messed up for the rest of their lives. Willing to take the chance with your kids?

• Anne26 West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 1, 2011 6:49 p.m.

@Dutchman:Yes, BYU is the #1 stone cold sober university, and as a member of the LDS church, I would expect nothing less. That being said, the University of Utah was just ranked #1 in technical start up companies, passing up the likes of MIT and the California Institute of Technology. Pretty great to have two universities that lead the nation.

• Hawkyo SYRACUSE, UT
    Aug. 1, 2011 6:49 p.m.

It makes me wonder has the poll only been going on for 14 years or did someone else have the title of stone-cold sober ahead of BYU 15 yrs ago?

• apache1 Phoenix, AZ
    Aug. 1, 2011 6:37 p.m.

OMG !!! I can't believe that so many people have gone for the throat of BYU, why is it such a grevious sin to be the #1 stone cold sober school in the nation for 14 years running? I would remind people after all this is a church school and probably the #1 church school in the nation, what would it say if this church founded school was the #1 party school in the nation or the school with the most cases of SSD's or the school with the most drug related deaths or some other badge of dishonor that other schools are labeled with. I would remind people that no one forces the students to attend BYU and if they want they are free to go to school elsewhere. I can think of alot worse titles to claim besides the #1 stone cold sober school in the nation for 14 years running, no, I say wear that badge of honor with pride!!! Brigham Young is smiling down on you with pride!!

• Razoo Toquerville, UT
    Aug. 1, 2011 6:07 p.m.

A badge to be worn with honor. BYU rocks!

• Portland Trail Blazers Sandy, UT
    Aug. 1, 2011 6:06 p.m.

Most classless fans and most band wagon fans goes to Utah. No other school came close.

• ClarkKent Bountiful, Utah
    Aug. 1, 2011 4:34 p.m.

Although BYU wasn't my school of choice, having a stone cold sober school is a whole lot better, in my opinion, than having a school that turns it head on all of the underaged drinking. Afterall, many colleges student are not even old enough to legally drink in most States!

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Aug. 1, 2011 4:34 p.m.

crisb;
    And again we see another reason BYU will ever be a national contender in basketball and football

For some reason, more top athletes are wanting to go to college where they can have a low peer pressure experience and maintain some self respect.

Sounds like a reasonable desire.

Stay classy and act mature while competing for national titles in football, basketball and other sports.

or...

Attend a school where alcohol and drug abuse abound. Where sexual promiscuity is encouraged and women are valued mostly for their lack of moral values and willingness to "party in a morals free environment". Many will have guilt, low self-esteem and suffer from depression their entire lives because of the way these boys, who desired this type of fun, treated them while in college.
    But; what the heck. It's all part of the college experience that they are entitled to right? Underage drinking(since most won't be legal drinkers until they are seniors), easily obtained "illegal substances" and women to take advantage of while they are impaired and unable to make rational decisions.

Well at least their #1 stone cold will continue... And they will be greatful for it.
    Classy, don't you think?

• rogerdpack2 Orem, UT
    Aug. 1, 2011 4:09 p.m.

I don't think the other schools are saddened to be #1 party schools are they?

• Laser Iowa City, IA
    Aug. 1, 2011 3:44 p.m.

I clink my glass of milk to BYU! A distinction to be proud of for the sober and completely misunderstood by the inebriated.

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    Aug. 1, 2011 3:34 p.m.

Congratulations BYU! Nothing wrong with being sober. It keeps the air med helicopter from the U of U from coming to the rescue. By the way, the U will continue its break out research on how cold stone caverns can hold huge resevoirs of natural gas that will lead us to energy independence.

• defibman Syracuse, UT
    Aug. 1, 2011 3:03 p.m.

The only thing that Chris B cares about is football or basketball and he has a very short memory with the Y beating the u badly in bball and almost had the upset of the century in football this past year. It seems that the Y has no problem in getting quality players who want to remember their college days and experiences (Like who has the best team in whatever sport).

Go ahead and make fun of be #1 in stone cold sober, while u try to find what u are #1 in anything. u will always be "middle of the pack" in everything.

• BobP Port Alice, B.C.
    Aug. 1, 2011 2:45 p.m.

Jimmer didn't seem to mind.

• owlmaster2 Kaysville, UT
    Aug. 1, 2011 2:43 p.m.

I'm glad they got this "prestigious" recognition but at the same how "boring"?

But I guess it has it's advantages. You don't have to buy liquor to have a party, just jello.

• isrred Logan, UT
    Aug. 1, 2011 2:31 p.m.

"This year, the unwanted title of partyingest campus goes to Ohio University-Athens."

This is the Dnews' byu/LDS bias shining through. Those "party-schools" take pride in taking that top ranking, it is hardly "unwanted".

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 1, 2011 2:20 p.m.

And again we see byu byu will never be a national contender in basketball or football

For some reason, top athletes just want to have a normal college experience.

Sounds like a reasonable desire.

Stay in the 19th century or compete for national titles(in something people care about like football or basketball)

or...

continue with your dominance as #1 stone cold.

Well at least their #1 stone cold will continue

LOL

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Aug. 1, 2011 2:15 p.m.

Congratulations BYU! I don't expect the Y to relenquish this title any time soon. In fact, I think the gap is widening between BYU and the rest of the universities.