Opinion

Rachel Esplin Odell: Rock bands, Harleys and Mormonism

Comments

• WestGranger West Valley City, Utah
    July 29, 2011 10:21 p.m.

There is room for a wide variety of people within the Mormon religion. I would hope the same thing is true for the republican and democrat parties. He appears to be a basically good person with high moral and ethical values. I wish him the best in his political career.

• oldschool Farmington, UT
    July 29, 2011 4:58 p.m.

One of the best articles I've read in a long time. I would vote for Huntsman over Obama in a minute, but there are very few Americans who would not receive my vote against our current leftist leader, the man who demands compromise but seldom practices what he preaches. Still, I think Huntsman was taking the chicken way out when asked about his religion. And I do not respect him for signing the western governor's accord over man-caused global warming, which I consider to be junk science. And I dare say that I have read more pro and con over global warming than probably 99 percent of our citizenry.

• Tom_in_WV BUCKHANNON, WV
    July 29, 2011 1:46 p.m.

The issue for me isn't his faithfulness or religious purity....it's the fact that he wasn't exactly forthcoming with these attitudes when he was trying to get elected in Utah.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    July 29, 2011 9:21 a.m.

Today's Political purists tend to also be Religous purists.

2,000 years ago, they were called Pharisees.

• Rand FLAGSTAFF, AZ
    July 29, 2011 7:13 a.m.

Nice column, Rachel Esplin Odell. I am glad someone is willing to point out that not everyone needs to follow lockstep in a religion. Those criticizing Huntsman for not toeing the line of fervent testimony-bearing are no better than the Evangelical Christians who vehemently oppose any Mormon being elected as President. Different sides of the same dirty coin.