Sports

Sometimes on Sundays: Move to Pac-12 will find Utah Utes playing more Sunday games

Comments

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    July 26, 2011 10:02 p.m.

Cougar_Independence | 9:28 p.m. July 24, 2011
    OMAHA, NE
    @tomahawk

You can use me as an example of someone who cares about Sunday play. BYU is full of athletes like me. I know, because I'm friends with many of the athletes at BYU.

-------------

That is fine, and you may have misinterpreted my statement.

Of course some LDS faithful strictly observe the Sunday guideline. But I still stick to my opinion that MOST do not adhere religiously (no pun intended) to it. The reason... is because most people (LDS or otherwise) don't view the issue as one of major importance.

Being active on Sunday is by no means on the same levels as more frowned upon activities like committing adultery, using drugs or alcohol, or having premarital sex. As I said before, it is a minor guideline that LDS faithful try to observe if it's convenient. But it's way low on the list of priorities.

That said, 99% of potential recruits will not care one way or another whether Utah (or even BYU) plays on Sundays. This debate is much ado about nothing.

• NightOwlAmerica SALEM, OR
    July 26, 2011 3:47 p.m.

Farid @ Pocatello said:

"LDS athletes with Mission plans aren't going to play for a Utah team that plays on Sunday. It's just not going to happen."

Really? LDS athletes have gone to other schools and played on Sunday before after returning from missions. And not just in football. UTEP, Wisconsin, Washington, Stanford and USC are some examples.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    July 26, 2011 1:38 p.m.

"Sure, some do it, but they are usually very embarrassed if seen by another member buying milk or going to a game. "

Why would they be embarrassed to be seen by another member doing the exact same thing?

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    July 26, 2011 1:36 p.m.

"If their passion and interest in something that cannot put food on the table is great enough, then they will gladly pay for it themselves, and if they are successful, I will happily cheer them on. However, if they want financial assistance from me in education, then they need to pursue a skill or profession that can reasonably be expected to enable them to support and have a family. I am raising them to be adults, not perpetual teenagers floating from one fancy to another with no apparent aim. I do them no favors by subsidizing that. "

So I guess the daughter is only getting college funding if you expect her to be something other than a stay at home mother?

• Farid @ Pocatello Pocatello, ID
    July 26, 2011 12:42 p.m.

Tomahawk Red said: "Certainly, most LDS kids/athletes don't care whether they play on Sundays. I know a lot of people who are active LDS members who have told me the "Sunday rest day" provision is one they adhere to if its convenient, but its one they're willing to overlook if anything important is going on."

In 33 years as a member of the Church, I have NEVER heard an active LDS family member say that. Sure, some do it, but they are usually very embarrassed if seen by another member buying milk or going to a game.

I think they'll be seen if they play on Sunday.

And regarding recruiting and the Sabbath, I think some of the kids who aren't planning to go on a Mission might not consider Sunday play a problem. But no one can really believe that a young man or woman planning to go on a Church Mission will be willing to play "an occasional" game on Sunday.

• NightOwlAmerica SALEM, OR
    July 26, 2011 10:41 a.m.

sammyg said:

".....You know absolutely nothing about the issue."

You are absolutely right. I will never know what its like to be a BYU fan living in a world of fantasy.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    July 26, 2011 12:01 a.m.

Does it seem like the moral high road is getting a bit steep?

If you think it's wrong to play sports or watch sports or read about sports or post responses on DN sport threads or cheer for Steve Young on Sundays that great's for you.

There are clearly folks who disagree.

Problem is, because of justification, this is an issue that could land one in a hypocritical situation pretty easy. This is best left for the individual to decide: be it Jimmer, a Red Rock gymnast, a physician, a starving Philipino fisherman, or the BYU guy who claims he got an "A" in calculus because he didn't study on Sunday.

Good for you.

• The Jazz Truth Draper, Utah
    July 25, 2011 11:34 p.m.

"Eli Herring is a former Brigham Young University (BYU) offensive tackle who decided not to play in the National Football League for religious reasons involving working on the Sabbath and made his intention clear to all NFL teams prior to the 1995 NFL draft.[1] Nonetheless, the devout Mormon was drafted in the 6th round by the Oakland Raiders.[2] He is one of few people to get drafted in the NFL after declaring an intention never to play. He now is married with seven children and works as a school teacher and assistant football coach at Mountain View High School in Orem, Utah."

Sounds like one heck of a trade off!!! This is me laughing :)

• sammyg Springville, UT
    July 25, 2011 11:08 p.m.

@NightFoulUS

If I never typed another comment I would know without fail that Cougar_Independence would probably represent my opinion and feelings correctly on issues probably 99.65% of the time.

I reserve the right to disagree on anything just to make things interesting. That equals .35%.

You know absolutely nothing about the issue.

• Tommy2Shoes Lehi, UT
    July 25, 2011 9:01 p.m.

Frankly there are very few athletes coming from BYU or Utah that will turn pro. Those that do will most likely have to display their unique talents on some Sundays. Not all Sundays, just some Sundays. They will have off season Sundays that they can enjoy keeping the sabbath day. My son left BYU for the halls of medicine. Trust me when I say that he has to work a lot of Sundays curing the sick and injured. I'm glad there are thousands that care for the sick on Sunday. Before I retired as an accountant I had to work several Sundays observing inventory counts or preparing a presentation for unreasonable bosses who knew I preferred not to work on the sabbath.
    Owners of athletic teams have Sunday games because they get rich providing entertainment to folks that either don't care to keep the Holy Day or believe going to a sporting event doesn't violate the sabbath as long as one has attended church that week. Enjoy your frivolity and let the athlete decide whatever he/she wants to do. I'm nobodies judge.

• Alex 1 Tucson, AZ
    July 25, 2011 7:32 p.m.

GoshJarcia:

"But lets take sports off the table, you really are going to hinder your child's passion and interests by not only telling them where they can and can't go to school but by also telling them what they can study? I work hard for my money as well but I wouldn't use that as a bargaining chip to force my own agenda down my child's throat. "

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    July 25, 2011 7:27 p.m.

PGVikingDAD,

Your son is lucky that he has been playing football in Utah because if you lived in another state he would have already had to make the choice of playing on sunday or not. In other states baseball, tennis, golf, swimming, basketball and some football leagues are played on sunday. Most athletes coming to BYU from outside Utah have been playing the sports I mentioned on sunday. He may get four years reprieve from playing on sunday while at BYU but if he turns pro he will be playing on sunday. Sorry, those are the facts.

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 25, 2011 5:32 p.m.

Word from our rival - Colorado

They loved this. They said Colorado papers are doing the same thing. Trying to write a story (any story) that would make Colorado State appear to be relevant.

Welcome to the big time!!!

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    July 25, 2011 5:14 p.m.

I wonder how much my season basketball tickets will end up costing me per game when I have to deduct the Sunday games from the equation? Hopefully the Sunday games are kept to a minimum. If not, next season, I will cancel my season tickets (which I have held now for a very long time).

• GoshJarcia SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    July 25, 2011 4:02 p.m.

re ALEX 1 First off I'm glad that you have reduced gender studies and women's studies as "worthless", I'm sure that all the people in the world that have used that degree in a positive manner to help battered women etc. would be happy to know that some dude from Arizona views their degree and their career as worthless. But I wouldn't expect much more from someone representing the state that recognizes legal racial profiling.

My comment was based on the fact that his kids are good enough to have colleges look at them for athletic scholarships, so in that case the father isn't paying 10's of thousands of dollars for an education. But lets take sports off the table, you really are going to hinder your child's passion and interests by not only telling them where they can and can't go to school but by also telling them what they can study? I work hard for my money as well but I wouldn't use that as a bargaining chip to force my own agenda down my child's throat.

• UU702 Layton, UT
    July 25, 2011 3:53 p.m.

The Utes will not lose a signle recruit to this; if they go somewhere else it will be because they don't want the "PAC12 Experience"...thanks to bronco for that illogical logic.

One school could/will use this as negative recruiting and you don't think the Utah coaches will have a rebuttal? Wishful thinking nay sayers...write this article when Utah no longer has a substantial number of LDS athletes in it's programs; until then it is the aforementioned wishful thinking of those who were uninvited.

• Daventry1701 SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    July 25, 2011 3:24 p.m.

This is a rediculous reaction about a non story. The Sunday play issue is a non revenue sport issue only. Maybe 1 basketball every once in a while and that dissapoints me...but not for the reason you think. I would love more Sunday afternoon college basketball games.

by the way....Utah already has had a big boost in recruiting from the PAC 12. Denying that would be delusional....and yes, were getting a better in state class than byu as well.

I for one am in favor of not playing byu in football anymore. They are a good team but the simple fact is it looks bad to lose that game and means nothing to win it.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    July 25, 2011 3:23 p.m.

the Days of bYu using THEE University of Utah as an additional religous institution are thankfully gone. Let's hope this brings about even greater diversity.

• Tommy2Shoes Lehi, UT
    July 25, 2011 3:09 p.m.

Look on the positive side folks.
    Non-LDS and LDS-light Utah fans will be able to go to the event and get better seats.
    BYU games won't needlessly conflict with a Sunday Utah game.

Good luck to everyone and let's CTR.

• NightOwlAmerica SALEM, OR
    July 25, 2011 3:06 p.m.

Cougar_Independence said:

""No inside scoop about any of this because its common knowledge."

I've yet to see Larry Scott or any Pac10 president make an official statement similar to what you are posting. Just because you live in pac10 country doesn't mean you speak for the pac10 or their schools.

I'm aware of what the "common knowledge" that has been rumored. Yes, liberal schools like Stanford, Cal, and Oregon don't want a conservative, Private, Christian university, but the pac10 is never going to state that publicly.

Thanks for your official pac10 statements commissioner Knight Owl."

Uhh you don't speak for all BYU cougar fans either.
    I know what I read and hear from regional media outlets about Pac 12 information here. Don't need to prove anything to you. Your post says enough already. And you know what I said is true. You just can't handle the fact that its not official for you.

• Thlete Draper, UT
    July 25, 2011 2:33 p.m.

Football will never be on Sunday, especially not the PAC-12 title game. Sundays are for the NFL. So all those so concerned about the athletes and fans playing football on Sunday, you only need to worry if your athlete/team is playing in the NFL. As for non-revenue sports, it looks like that might happen more often, so BYU might get more women's soccer recruits from in-state instead of the U.

• Alex 1 Tucson, AZ
    July 25, 2011 1:20 p.m.

GoshJarcia:

"I just feel bad for your kids to have a father who won't allow them to make their own choices, especially when it comes to what college they go to. "

It all depends on who is footing the bill. If Dad is paying, then he can do whatever he wants with his money. If the son wants to go to another school over the objections of his dad, then he will have to do so on his own dime.

As for me, I would be willing to help my children with their education, even if they don't go to BYU. Even then, I worked hard for my money, and I am not about to throw it away in a bad investment. This means that the offer of help is not a blank check. It is subject to my discretion.

For example, were they to decide to go to an Ivy League school and pay an Ivy League tuition for a degree in Women's Studies, they wouldn't get a dime from me, especially if he is the breadwinner. My child's education is an investment and I'm not going to throw money down the toilet for a worthless degree.

• Swoop Salt Lake City, UT
    July 25, 2011 1:12 p.m.

"Sunday play/practice = dealbreaker for an LDS collegiate athlete."

And for many LDS Utah fans attending Utah athletic events on Sunday.

It's sad to see Utah going from being a conference leader in the MWC, to being a spineless, lapdog in the PAC 12. Despite all of their chest beating about finally being one of the big boys, it's becoming more and more apparent that Utah will do whatever the PAC 12 tells them to do.

• jeru0455 SALEM, OR
    July 25, 2011 1:11 p.m.

I'm sure the Utes will do the right thing and try to minimize the number of sunday games for their LDS players, but you don't just walk into a club on your first day and start telling everyone how the club is going to work. BTW if you want to play in the NFL (or most sports professionally) you'd better get used to playing on Sunday. It's too bad, but that's the way the world works.

• think4yourself Salt Lake City, UT
    July 25, 2011 1:04 p.m.

PGVikingDad.... I would wait until schools offer you kids scholarships before you go spouting off about where they will be going to school. I am sure it hasn't crossed your mind that the only schools that will pay your kids to play might have Sunday games or practices. I am not sure BYU football and basketball will be offering roster spots because you played coed softball at BYU and your wife was offered a scholarship at Utah.

• GoshJarcia SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    July 25, 2011 12:38 p.m.

re:PGVikingDad I just feel bad for your kids to have a father who won't allow them to make their own choices, especially when it comes to what college they go to. Both of my parents are graduates from BYU and you know how much input they had on where I went to school...none. At that point you have narrowed your kids choices down to two schools, BYU and Notre Dame in terms of top tiered athletic programs. You are honestly going to deny your child a great education if Stanford, Harvard, Yale, Columbia, etc offered them a scholarship because they could potentially have your child playing on Sunday? that's sad! Like Pac12South said, not playing on Sunday is the exception (in the MWC, which by the way is going to Sunday games now too because BYU is no longer around) not the rule.

Sounds like you're just bitter cause your wife was good enough to play at the U, but you weren't.

• PAC12Fan South Jordan, UT
    July 25, 2011 12:03 p.m.

The fact of the matter is the Pac 12 is a business. After the administrators see the reason for few sunday games, they will make concessions to the schedule for home games. For away games, I don't see a lot of changes being made.

Too many self-righteouss comments.

• shorts Payson, UT
    July 25, 2011 10:42 a.m.

Re: Mount Olympus The article dosn't say the 12-Pac will never play football on Sunday. It said they have no plans to play on Sunday. If the 12-Pac thinks they can make more money to play the title game on Sunday they will. Then will you say "Oh it is only one game." If Sunday play is not a problem for you that it is not a big deal. But I have several friends and my bishop are huge Ute fans but if the game is played on Sunday they will not go.

• PGVikingDad Pleasant Grove, UT
    July 25, 2011 10:42 a.m.

I was an athlete at BYU, and my wife was recruited by the U's basketball program. We're now raising two terrific athletes (my son is a 6'3" wide receiver who hasn't topped out yet, and my daughter is a 5'11", 180-pound 12-year-old terror on the courts), and Utah is officially OFF the list of potential college programs they'll attend. Sunday play/practice = dealbreaker for an LDS collegiate athlete.

• lasermann Orem, UT
    July 25, 2011 10:16 a.m.

Props to the Pac-10 for unwittingly giving BYU a great recruiting tool.

Regardless of how you feel about the sanctity of Sunday, do the athletes really want to be on a practice field or even playing a game on that day? Do their parents want them there? Or would they rather be resting for the upcoming week, spending a quiet day getting organized and prepared and staying off the field?

Come to BYU. It will never, ever be an issue.

• PAC12South Salt Lake City, UT
    July 25, 2011 10:08 a.m.

Re: laser. I think your reading something into my post that isn't there. I never said one thing about BYU athletes, or hypocrisy by BYU. Rather I was simply pointing out to commentors like you that the Sabbath day is not on Sundays for everyone. It is ignorant to give the Sabbath off for Christians and to not do the same thing for Jews, Muslims, or Adeventists.

Also agency allows people to choose. It is certainly not my job, your job, or any other commentators job to judge that choice.

Sadly all I see on this comments section, and implied in this article is judging people who play on Sunday. And Utah's decision to play on Sunday. Maybe there is something sinful about Sunday play? But not in everyone's eyes. If LDS athletes feel that it is wrong to play/ practice/ study/ on Sundays, then they are free not to. If LDS athletes want to play in the PAC 12 and on occasion play on Sundays, that is their choice.

• T.S.Zarathrustra Salt Lake City, UT
    July 25, 2011 9:25 a.m.

Can't wait to attend my first Sunday matinee basketball game. I don't care to argue with Mormons their Sabbaterian beliefs but it would be nice of them to show a little respect to the beliefs of the many Christian congregations who see no inconsistency between the laws of GOD and participating or spectating at a sporting event on Sunday. Please follow your own conscience and allow others the same latitude.

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    July 25, 2011 9:11 a.m.

The Utah football team does not practice on Sunday. Kyle expects his players who have a religion to attend church. It is a team rule. Yes, Kyle allowed his players to attend a New Orleans Saints game on Sunday during Sugar Bowl week but that is about it. Kyle has an adult LDS Chaplain and other religious chaplains assigned to the team.

Calling out Chris Hill for not standing up to the PAC 12 over the sunday play issue is very disingenuous. If you go down that road then why not call out Jimmer, Collie, Young, Miller, Ainge and a whole host of other BYU athletes for not standing up to the NBA, NFL, PGA Golf and MLB for their sunday play activities?

The fact is the college conferences are an extenuation of what has transpired in little league play for decades. If you want to change the world of sports you will have to start at the little league level. Seven kids from the State of Utah probably most Mormon are now playing for PAC 12 schools other than Utah so apparently the sunday play was not an issue. I don't necessarily like it.

• Razzle2 Bluffdale, UT
    July 25, 2011 8:48 a.m.

Regarding personal choices; remember the incredible BB year of 1981.
    The College All-Star game was on Sunday. Coached by Frank Arnold (BYU) 1st team Danny Ainge (BYU) No Shows Danny Vranes (Utah) and Tom Chambers (Utah)
    Although Danny and Tom played on Sunday for the NCAA Tournament because it was for the team, the All-Star game was not necessary to them.
    Likewise, since the All-Star game was not an official team game, the BYU representatives were allowed to play on Sunday.
    Funny, how you can look at things.

• Go Utes Salt Lake City, UT
    July 25, 2011 8:42 a.m.

This season-ticket-holding Ute fan is very disappointed in the Sunday play. Sad that any major athletic conference has determined to hold sporting events on Sunday. Too bad.

• Vegas Las Vegas, NV
    July 25, 2011 8:41 a.m.

Well, I guess beggars can't be choosers.

• byu rugby Crystal Lake, IL
    July 25, 2011 7:21 a.m.

One little step at a time...

• Laser Iowa City, IA
    July 25, 2011 6:43 a.m.

re:pac12south

Wouldn't your assessment of hypocrites extend to all christian athletes who turn pro? Even those from the U? Just wondering why you're singling out BYU athletes.

But you are right, people can choose. If you truly believe that, then you should have no problem with BYU choosing not to play on Sunday. In fact you should be applauding them because of their use of free agency. Somehow your post suggests that free agency is valid only when people use it to make choices you believe in. You say BYU athletes are hypocrites for choosing to go pro, yet you say players who choose to go to the U to play on Sunday are just fine.

I think I see a hypocrite. You belief of free agency doesn't really extend to all people and situations does it. Just those that allow you to be argumentative.

• MidMajor4ever Syracuse, UT
    July 25, 2011 1:58 a.m.

Matthew 7:1 "Judge not, that ye be not judged."

• BlueNtheFace Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    July 25, 2011 1:38 a.m.

The UofU has been playing football and other sports on Sunday for decades now. Practice that is, not games.

The sabbath is the main reason I never played organized football. I played baseball as a youth because games were played on Saturdays only. But I had to forego All-Star games because they landed on Sundays. Teed off my coaches, but I warned them. Pop Warner football leagues in California, however, were played on Sundays. So I never gained the confidence in my youth to play in high school. I would have been awesome!! ;-)

As a UofU administrator, I wouldn't have thought twice about the sabbath when considering joining the PAC-12. It's a state school w/o religious affiliation. Go for it. The recruiting advantages far out-weigh the handicaps. The jury is still out on the attendance issue though.

Good luck Utes.

• PAC12South Salt Lake City, UT
    July 25, 2011 12:20 a.m.

This is the biggest non-news story I have read in a long time. 1) Student athletes have been playing on Sundays for several years. Frankly the MWC is the exception not the rule. 2) To assume that Sunday is everyone's sabbath day is absurd. It may be a surprise to some trapped in the Utah Co. bubble, but other religion's celebrate the sabbath on Fridays or Saturdays. Should sports only be played M-F 9-5 to cater to all faiths? 3) If you spent time paying attention in church instead of surfing cougar board on your boost mobile phone, you would have heard of the principle of free" agency. That is what ever human has... The free will to choose for themselves. If a student athlete wants to choose Utah and playing on Sundays, that is their choice. Will Utah lose out on some stellar 1 star LDS recruits in women's soccer? Possibly. But its not like players up at Utah didn't practice/ watch film/ travel/ do homework on Sundays before the PAC 12.

P.S. Don't vote for Mitt or Jon, because they will have to work Sunday

• PAC 12 loves U Sandy, Utah
    July 24, 2011 11:10 p.m.

The only great player and person to come out of Provo and byu is Eli Herring. The man turned down millions of dollars from the NFL to Honor the Sabbath Day. I have so much respect for that man. The rest of those former byu players that move on to the Pros are all hypocrites!

• bluecoug89 Highland, UT
    July 24, 2011 10:42 p.m.

@hedgehog,

99.999% of the world and its "morals" are going down the drain

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    July 24, 2011 10:36 p.m.

"Ute recruits will have to make a PERSONAL choice to attend the U and risk playing on Sunday's now."

Kids Mormon and non Mormon have been making that personal choice for a couple of decades now because outside of Utah kids in grade school on up have had to decide whether to play sports that leagues set up to play on Sunday. Most little league teams now play on Sunday. The article failed to touch this issue which affects Mormon kids nationwide. Many Mormon kids have given up playing sports because of Sunday play. Other Mormon kids play in leagues on Sunday in order to play and get better in their sports even those who choose to attend to play at BYU have probably already been playing on Sunday. I am not in favor of Sunday play but the place to address the issue is well before the college level.

• Independence Is Bliss San Jose, CA
    July 24, 2011 9:58 p.m.

The real issue is not whether or not it's right to play on Sunday. The issue is that Dr. Hill acknowledged that a significant portion of their fan base would rather not have games on Sunday, but was still too weak to stand up for fans wishes to the almighty Pac-12.

It's the same reason that USC can still play their rivalry game with ND late in the season, but Utah is too afraid to ask.

It's just very telling of where Utah stands in the Pac-12 and how they're approaching their membership.

• Cougar_Independence OMAHA, NE
    July 24, 2011 9:54 p.m.

@hedgehog

"99.999 of the nations population has no problem with this."

1) Why are you stirring the pot all the way from Michigan?

2) The LDS church recognizes that their morals & standards are getting further and further from the world's standards. That's never been the argument. The LDS church will never change it's stance on Sunday play. End of story.

Doesn't matter what 99% of the "world" thinks. BYU's standards are not "of this world". They come from higher up.

• Hellooo Salt Lake City, UT
    July 24, 2011 9:37 p.m.

Just another difference between the two schools, and more will show up over the years.

• Cougar_Independence OMAHA, NE
    July 24, 2011 9:33 p.m.

@knightowl

"No inside scoop about any of this because its common knowledge."

Thanks for your official pac10 statements commissioner Knight Owl.

• Cougar_Independence OMAHA, NE
    July 24, 2011 9:28 p.m.

@tomahawk

I'm LDS. I went to BYU. I was an athlete at BYU. I definitely chose BYU because of it's morals and stance
    On Sunday play.

• VictorVonTrap Draper, UT
    July 24, 2011 9:25 p.m.

I thought the U of U was a state / public university? Is the U of U student body solely comprised of Mormon students? Should state universities submit to religious tests in Utah, eg. not playing sports on Sunday? What happened to the separation of church and state? It appears that the argument advanced in this article is a canard.

• One Nil to the Arsenal! Gilbert, AZ
    July 24, 2011 9:09 p.m.

Hedgie..... I'm with you. I can't believe this is even an issue ( or that it made the news).

If your not going to play on Sundays, that's your choice. But I find this a bit comical. While I was in medical school, my LDS friends refused to study on Sundays. They said it was part of keeping the sabbath day holy. I'm fine with that. I respect that. But, after church these guys were over at my house watching the Lakers every Sunday wasting most of the day in front of the TV. HHmmmm, I'll Never understood that one. And then they wondered why their grades were so poor.

So it's ok to waste your Sunday in front of the TV or PS3 after church, but playing to hopefully advance your professional career is not? I guarantee most LDS aren't doing geneology, writing in journals, or singing EFY songs on their day off. I think it's a bit hypocritical, but I can respect their decision. And the comment about BYU being left out of the PAC 12 b/c of this......Wow, I won't even waste my breath on that one.

Got tickets to ASU game in SLC. Pumped!

• Coug Pleasant Grove, UT
    July 24, 2011 9:00 p.m.

Keeping the Sabbath holy is a personal choice. There are rewards and consequences for most choices in life.

I got a kick out of a story shared by ElRay L. Christiansen during conference in 1962, "An acquaintance of mine had purchased a lovely boat. When I stopped by, he was admiring it. I surmised that he was getting it ready to take it, with his family, to the reservoir the next Sunday. He said, 'It is in readiness except for one thing.' Then he asked me, 'Could you suggest an appropriate name for the boat?' I knew him very well. I thought for a moment, and then I said, 'Well, perhaps you should name it The Sabbath-Breaker'."

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    July 24, 2011 8:57 p.m.

re: Cougar_Independence | 4:29 p.m. July 24, 2011

"BYU will never play on Sundays, and this is the ONLY reason they were snubbed by the Pac10"

Right. If you keep repeating that eventually even you will believe it.

• NightOwlAmerica SALEM, OR
    July 24, 2011 8:56 p.m.

Cougar_Independence said:

2) Please enlighten me with the other "reasons" BYU was not invited to the pac10? I didn't realize you had such te inside scoop? You must know Larry Scott or some of the pac10 conference commissioners? Are you holding out the inside scoop? The only public statement made by BYU regarding the pac10 snub was made by Bronco: "There are some conferences which simply do not want a faith based institution.". Pac10 has no private, religious universities in it's conference.

BYU hold strong to standards."

I live in Pac12 country, here is why.

A. BYU is a religious institution.
    B. Its not a research institution that fits with the type of school the Pac 12 wanted.
    C. California, Stanford and Oregon were and are the most vocal about having any religious school in the conference.

No inside scoop about any of this because its common knowledge.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    July 24, 2011 8:43 p.m.

"And my taxes will pay for breaking the sabboth!"

Richie

Imagine what your taxes would be if no one worked on the "sabboth".

• Chris Bryant SLC, UT
    July 24, 2011 8:27 p.m.

Personally, I would choose not to play on the Sabbath, but come on folks. How many BYU athletes go on to play football in the NFL? Thats sunday play. I don't think having to play an occasional game on sunday will really deter very many from choosing Utah.

Utah has team meetings on sundays, and it hasn't really been an issue in the past. Sounds like desperate BYU fans are trying to stir the pot, but thats par for the course as far as Im concerned.

• Cougar_Independence OMAHA, NE
    July 24, 2011 8:25 p.m.

@knightowl

"This is exactly why no BCS conference will invite BYU to join in the first place.

And you are dreaming if that is the only reason why they were snubbed by the Pac12."

1) I agree with you on the BCS invite for BYU. I would want BYU to get the invite, but not if it means compromising our morals (I use our because I'm a BYU alumni/former athlete). In that case, no BCS conference will cancel Sunday games for BYU. This is the day Prophets have forgone when "the world's standards will get farther and farther from the Lord's standards" and BYU will never lower or change it's standards.

BYU hold strong to standards.

• Richie Saint George, UT
    July 24, 2011 8:21 p.m.

And my taxes will pay for breaking the sabboth!

• Mount Olympus Salt Lake, UT
    July 24, 2011 8:07 p.m.

In summary:

The article is blowing things way out of proportion. Football will NEVER play on Sunday. Basketball will rarely have games on Sunday.

Next season in basketball and Football Sunday is not an issue. No Pac-12 football team plays on Sunday, and there are zero conference basketball games on Sunday (men's or women's).

Baseball and Women's Tennis may be playing more on Sunday, but I don't think that is really going to impact much of anything.

Mostly this article and reaction to it is BYU trying to pound their chests and say look how righteous we are.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    July 24, 2011 7:58 p.m.

99.999 of the nations population has no problem with this.

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    July 24, 2011 7:52 p.m.

The author of this article and most of the posters so far have made a MUCH bigger deal out of this than it really is.

I would venture to say most (yes most) LDS members dont put much stock into the Sunday issue. It is a practice that only the die hard Mormons adhere to on a regular basis.

• Cougar_Independence OMAHA, NE
    July 24, 2011 7:33 p.m.

Many comments are confusing Organizational Choices vs. Personal Choices.

BYU, as an organization, will always stand up for it's morals. This includes no playing on Sunday. I was an athlete at BYU, and I truly appreciated sunday off. I got to spend time with family, friends, church members, BBQing, and relaxing. My personal choice was to obey the sabbath.

Some BYU athletes choose to play on Sunday's AFTER their BYU career, eg. Steve Young, Jimmer Freddette, etc. That is their PERSONAL choice. They are no longer BYU students when they do this. I don't judge them for their choices, neither should we.

Utah, as an ORGANIZATION, has just chosen to join the pac10, knowing they will have to play on sundays. They may lose some LDS recruits, who don't want to practice or play on Sunday's. They may not lose some LDS or Non-LDS athletes forthis reason, but they may lose SOME.

A BYU recruit will never have to worry about that moving forward. Their 4 years at BYU will have every sunday off.

For me, I chose BYU.

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    July 24, 2011 7:30 p.m.

@MESOUTE

The BYU Cougars football website, along with FBS schedules, has the game listed for 6:30 MST. (But maybe it's changed?) Regardless, the point remains the same...it's a personal choice for each person regarding keeping the Sabbath Day holy.

BYU supports the standards of the church and as an institution, they do not allow Sunday play for their athletics. The U is under no such obligations. They're both great institutions...we'll have to see if the Sunday play issue affects the U at all.

Go Cougars!

• IDC Boise, ID
    July 24, 2011 7:15 p.m.

Playing professionally on Sunday is far different than playing recreationally or college sports on Sunday. Some professionals have to work on Sunday. If you are an athlete in college, you have a choice. I feel sorry for the athletes who will now choose to play on a day that they would prefer not to play on. I hope LDS athletes or others with religious convictions (including coaches) don't have to face this choice very often.

• SLC BYU Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    July 24, 2011 7:03 p.m.

@NightOwlAmerica:

While I think you're overplaying the "No Sunday Play" issue of BYU pertaining to any possible invitation to join the Big-12 Conference, the Sunday Play issue is important to some top ranking senior leaders of the LDS Church who want to scale back athletics at BYU (they got their way up in Rexburg a decade ago remember), or eliminate them entirely, since football in particular is a Sunday league with thh NFL. Some view LDS athletes in such Sunday oriented leagues as "counterproductive" to the missionary efforts of the church. Also it is well known that these leaders (albeit a minority) also don't like athletics at BYU since it detracts and essentially destroyathleticscs and the mission of state run universitys...most notably Utah State.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    July 24, 2011 7:00 p.m.

Good thing there's no national debt debate to distract us.

• Independence Is Bliss San Jose, CA
    July 24, 2011 6:29 p.m.

I invite all the Sabbath-loving Ute fans out there to come root for a team that will stand up for your beliefs and won't throw them out the window for money.

Cougar nation would love to have you!

Come see how great it is to root for a team that dictates, rather than one that is dictated to.

• Mount Olympus Salt Lake, UT
    July 24, 2011 6:29 p.m.

re: Judge Smailes

Wait, which school has sold all tickets for every game in 2011, and which school still has many tickets left?

• crowntown1 Corona, CA
    July 24, 2011 6:24 p.m.

Why is playing on Sundays an issue when several play on Sunday in the NFL or NBA?.

• NightOwlAmerica SALEM, OR
    July 24, 2011 6:08 p.m.

Cougar_Independence said:

""However, Sunday games will now become more common for Utah as it competes in the Pac-12 Conference, which, like most conferences around the country, regularly holds sporting events on Sunday."

BYU will never play on Sundays, and this is the ONLY reason they were snubbed by the Pac10.

Good for BYU for standing up for it's morals and standards.

Enjoy the Sunday play utes..."

Give it up kitty cat fans. An invite to the Big12 is not going to happen. They are not going to give special privileges to BYU over anything Texas dictates.

• MESOUTE Wandering, Earth
    July 24, 2011 5:58 p.m.

@truecoug1

Apparently ESPN, who you will no doubt gloat will be televising the game, has the BYU Hawaii game listed at 12:00 a.m. EST Sunday December 4th. So I guess ESPN has it wrong and you have it right? So be it, it does not bother me. Nor was I "worried" about you. I was curious that is all.

• Laser Iowa City, IA
    July 24, 2011 5:46 p.m.

re: mightymite

You couldn't be more delusional in your desperate interpretation. No school is secular or it instantly becomes hypocritical of its non-discrimnation clause. Also there are many, many people of other faiths who believe the same as the LDS in terms of Sunday being a holy day. They feel they sold out to the PAC 12.

Don't ever sacrifice for what you believe in.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    July 24, 2011 5:40 p.m.

"For the sake of the Christian (not just LDS) players, I hope they don't play home games on Sunday."

Funny how everyone wants to play around with stuff to avoid potential religious conflicts, but let's not forget that saturday is the Jewish sabbath.

• wer South Jordan, UT
    July 24, 2011 5:26 p.m.

All is vanity.

• kitsutsuki South Jordan, Utah
    July 24, 2011 5:24 p.m.

I am not sure I have seen a more "thin-skinned" bunch than University of Utah fans! Complaining about the Deseret News (which is simply reporting what we already know - that the Utes are going to be playing more on Sunday) or these vicious BYU fans claiming that the LDS recruit will no longer want to go to the University of Utah. Give me a break!!!

The facts are as follows, so deal with it:

1. The Utes will play more games on Sunday.
    2. We don't know if they will play football games on Sunday. They will play basketball games on Sunday.
    3. For some athletes Sunday play MIGHT prohibit them from signing with Utah.
    4. For the majority of athletes they recruit, Sunday play will probably not be an issue.
    5. BYU fans have no right to self-righteously judge LDS kids who choose to go to the University of Utah.
    6. BYU and Utah fans have no right to self-righteously judge former BYU athletes who choose to play professionaly on Sunday.
    7. Everyone needs to chill out and get ride of the "poor me" mentality.

Go Cougars! I can hardly wait for Nove, oops, September!

• Canyontreker TAYLORSVILLE, UT
    July 24, 2011 5:14 p.m.

This article was really slanted. I just looked up Mount Olympus's claim that Sunday was not an issue in the PAC 12 and Mount Olympus is right.

No Sunday Football
    No Sunday PAC 12 Basketball - the Sunday games were pre-season set up by the individual schools.

Chris Hill knows this. So, he had nothing to lose to act all "what's best for the conference" for the Des News questions.

Sorry, vollyball and soccer were the exceptions though.

• BYU DUDE Provo, UT
    July 24, 2011 5:01 p.m.

• mightymite DRAPER, UT
    July 24, 2011 4:57 p.m.

The university of utah is a state run secular school, end of story! Sounds like the byu faithfull still have sour grapes. I take this this article and these comments by lds people and byu fans as nothing more than trying to make yoursleves feel better in very dark and uncertain times for programs at byu.

• Judge Smailes Cedar Hills, UT
    July 24, 2011 4:45 p.m.

Darn it!! Sunday Games, Now the stadiums are going to be only 1/3 full rather than 2/3!

• Razzle2 Bluffdale, UT
    July 24, 2011 4:38 p.m.

BYU will be independent forever. I admire that alot.

• Razzle2 Bluffdale, UT
    July 24, 2011 4:38 p.m.

Both Oregon schools have said no-way to Sunday home games for the revenue sports. There market is Portland, and the fans hate the Sunday night drive home. So, the only Sunday games being discussed are the national TV games and the non-revenue games because of travel time.

• Randy01 Lees Summit, MO
    July 24, 2011 4:30 p.m.

A couple of points:

1. Moving college football games becomes a very real possibility in the world of NFL and NBA lockouts. If the NFL situation is not resolved, it becomes compelling for two reasons, for teams a greater opportunity to be on television, and for the networks, a change to soften advertising revenue losses.
    2. As far as recruiting goes, it will make a difference for some LDS recruits, but not others. Someone whose stated goal is to play in the NFL or NBA is already planning to play on Sunday. If they have elected not to serve missions as well, there additional evidence that they would choose sporting success over observing the gospel.

Some of the best moments in BYU history have come when a talented prospect stays out of the draft specifically due to the Sabbath requirement. It has happened and these young men are to be commended.

• Cougar_Independence OMAHA, NE
    July 24, 2011 4:29 p.m.

Good for BYU for standing up for it's morals and standards.

Enjoy the Sunday play utes...

• riddlemethis Clearfield, UT
    July 24, 2011 4:15 p.m.

Blackrulon:

Thank you for breaking the sabbath and commenting on the aforementioned sunday article in the desnews to tell us all we support people that break the sabbath.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    July 24, 2011 3:55 p.m.

I'm not sure this is news, but I'm glad it was published. I think most people already realized that joining the PAC12 would require more Sunday play. It's not like the PAC12 did a bait and switch on U. This is who the PAC12 is and one of the reasons why BYU was not invited to join the conference. Utah does not have the clout to change the conference.

I know it's already been said, but I do think it will be interesting to see how this influences recruiting - especially if the NFL lockout persists and U are required to play some football games on Sunday.

• goodDr. sandy, UT
    July 24, 2011 3:46 p.m.

Mesquite,
    In Australia, most of BYU's Saturday games are played on "Sunday". I believe that it depends on what time of day the game is played in the location the game is being played. By the way, BYU actually has fans in every time zone, not just MST.

• bluecoug89 Highland, UT
    July 24, 2011 3:39 p.m.

I am a member of the LDS church and I speak for most christians when I say that it is so important that we keep the sabbath Day Holy. So many people have lost the importance of this special day and have let the world and it's teaching dictate their lives. That being said, everyone has the choice to do it or not. What I don't like though is when sometimes it seems like people use their beliefs as grounds to put themselves above others. I feel like some people have done that here and have used that as grounds to say why they think BYU is better than the U. The truth is, when people use their own religious beliefs to set themselves above others like that they lose the real meaning of those teachings. It would be nice if the U (and any other school) decided to let the sabbath day remain holy, but I am not one to decide or judge their decision and I for sure won't use my beliefs to try and bring them down. I just ask that those who are affiliated with Christianity don't lose sight of the meaning of the Sabbath.

• Mount Olympus Salt Lake, UT
    July 24, 2011 3:22 p.m.

Why are the Deseret News articles all glass half empty for the Utes, and glass half full for BYU?

2012 There are 0 Sunday football games for every team in the Pac-12.
    2012-2013 Basketball season, 0 Sunday conference games for every Men's and Women's basketball team in the conference.

but yet they always discuss potential future problems with the Utes and Pac-12 and Sunday play.

However with BYU they always focus on the positives and never discuss things like how BYU only has 1 BCS team coming to play in Provo this Football season, and that would be Utah.

• Observation-ist Ogden, UT
    July 24, 2011 2:58 p.m.

For the sake of the Christian (not just LDS) players, I hope they don't play home games on Sunday. That not only puts the players in a pinch, it also puts the fans in a pinch.

Lest this devolve into a LDS vs Haters discussion, the LDS church isn't the only church who believes in the Bible and the Sabbath. You can fool yourself into thinking that attending a sporting event as a family constitutes keeping the Sabbath Day holy. IMHO, cheering, yelling, etc. isn't in keeping with the spirit of the day, let alone the actual written word.

I hope the PAC-12 will let Utah play Sunday games on the road. My fear is that they've identified themselves as a secular university and the PAC-12 schedulers won't give much deference to the Utes. There only hope is to convince the powers-that-be that attendance will be attrocious on Sunday. That will only happen if the Christians in the valley practice what they hear preached on Sunday. Good Luck ... sincerely ... good luck.

• SLC BYU Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    July 24, 2011 2:16 p.m.

More than anything, this is why Salt Lake City will NEVER be home to a relocating or expansion NFL team. If it is more of a $$$-maker for BCS leagues to play Sunday events and tourney's than to take a program like BYU which is the size and scope and Independence doesn't work to keep BYU up, then Provo just might as well become Rexburg right now and end the agony.

• 9er4life Provo, UT
    July 24, 2011 2:10 p.m.

I curious why dnews would write about the Utes since they predominately support the Y. My only conclusion is that this article is intended to hurt the Utes in recruiting since they have taken away many of the highly touted in-state football recruits. And bringing up the topic of Sunday play is their justification to negate the Utes advantage in recruiting.

• 9er4life Provo, UT
    July 24, 2011 2:03 p.m.

When it comes to playing in a BCS versus mid-major conferences, most Utah's highly rated football recruits don't mind playing on Sundays. Those 4-star recruits go to BCS schools like Utah and enjoy the opportunity to play at a high level environment. Lower rated recruits who don't have the opportunity go to mid-majors in the state like USU and BYU.

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    July 24, 2011 1:46 p.m.

@MESOUTE continued

Therefore, an LDS athlete can choose whether he wants to play for a school that completely upholds his beliefs, or one that doesn't. That's a completely personal decision.

But the point is, both BYU and Utah are different institutions. It doesn't bother me in the slightest that Utah will be playing more on Sundays because they can What does bother me is when people say you can get the same experience at Utah as you can at BYU, because you can't.

"BYU is scheduled to play a game that kicks off at 10:00 p.m. MST on December 3rd in Hawaii".

It's actually scheduled for 6:30 MST, 2:30 Hawaii time, so fortunately we won't have to make that "difficult" decision...but thanks for your concern :)

Go Cougars!

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    July 24, 2011 1:40 p.m.

@MesoUte "They project their beliefs onto Utah fans assuming that we believe as they do (or should), that we are all going to have a clash of conscience over these games on Sunday."

I would venture to guess that most BYU fans are "projecting their beliefs", as you put it, in response to the Utah fans, the guys on 1320 KFAN, and the ESPN 700 crew who have all stated that LDS kids can receive the same experience at the U as you can at BYU.

The truth is, you can't.

As has been mentioned, the U is owned by the state and is a secular institution. They have no honor code, no weekly devotionals by GA's, and you are not required to take religion courses. There is, therefore, no need to abide by the standards of the LDS church, which is just fine.

BYU, on the other hand, is owned by the church and is committed to uphold the standards of the LDS faith. There is, therefore, no Sunday play allowed. That doesn't make BYU better than Utah.

They're just different.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    July 24, 2011 1:40 p.m.

"I hope that they know that they are breaking a commandment and will have to answer to the Lord when it comes to judgement day. "

Well at least in the telestial kingdom I'd be able to see Jimmer play.

• ParkCityAggie Park City, Ut
    July 24, 2011 1:33 p.m.

I like what the late George Carlin had to say about the sabbath: Muslims Friday's, Jews Saturday, Christians Sunday, God has a three day weekend!

• MESOUTE Wandering, Earth
    July 24, 2011 1:31 p.m.

@Balan,
    I agree with your comment about individual choices and you obviously have a more broad perspective and general understanding of this than Cougar nation. Yet here you have BYU fans criticizing the University of Utah for being part of a conference that will require them to play a few games on Sundays and in essence are ostracizing any potential LDS recruits that will not mind being a part of Sunday play. It is a personal choice for a recruit and BYU fans on here will undoubtedly question their standards if they choose to play at Utah. BYU fans frame their arguments to reconcile with their own version of logic and reason and do not even realize the mind games that their "harmless" statements about Sabbath play have on any fine and upstanding LDS man or woman who decides that Sabbath play is OK for them. It does not mean that they are denying their beliefs, it just means that they are making an individual choice.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    July 24, 2011 1:19 p.m.

@Dave S of Holladay

fyi
    BYU does not play in a non-BCS Conference.

They are Independent.

Nice try though.

As far as Utah's Big Stage?

Here is what a Big Stage looks like, Utes....

BYU, "Every Game on National TV", with 11 of those on ESPN.
    Then replays of those games, also on National TV.
    Now that's a Big Stage.

Where is Utah?

kjzz errrrr nice stage. LOL

BYU is playing the Met...

Meanwhile, Utah.... is headlining at Evergreen Jr. High's rendition of The Sound of Music.

• Mount Olympus Salt Lake, UT
    July 24, 2011 1:18 p.m.

People need to realize that this will NOT effect football at all. There were what, 3 total FBS games played nationwide last year on Sunday.

College football conferences know that it would be very stupid to try to compete against the NFL. The only reason it was ever mentioned was if there was a possibility that the NFL was still in lockout, then college games may make sense on Sunday, but otherwise no conference is going to have many/any games on sunday.

I don't understand why BYU can have coaches shows on Sunday, but then criticize others for playing. If Sunday is so important to you, then have the coaches show another day.

If this sunday play slightly hurts the Utes women's volleyball team, I really don't think too many people will complain.

• MESOUTE Wandering, Earth
    July 24, 2011 1:08 p.m.

The reaction of BYU fans is quite interesting. They project their beliefs onto Utah fans assuming that we believe as they do (or should), that we are all going to have a clash of conscience over these games on Sunday. Sunday is not my Sabbath, it is yours BYU fans. I do not push my beliefs onto you, please react in kind. Sunday is set apart as the Sabbath by Christians the world around, but it is not the only day that carries the connotation of Sabbath Day. It is not your concern. By the way,at present, BYU is scheduled to play a game that kicks off at 10:00 p.m. MST on December 3rd in Hawaii. During the late stages of the 3rd quarter I wonder if fans decide to turn off the television because a portion of the game will indeed be played on a Christian Sabbath according to Utah time. Only you know whether you live by the letter or the spirit of the "law". Players will be playing on a Saturday night, but what will all of you god-fearing fans do about watching the end of that game? Just curious.

• Balan South Jordan, Utah
    July 24, 2011 1:03 p.m.

BYU, as an extension of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will NEVER play athletic events on Sunday. All members of the Church, BYU fans or otherwise, understand this.

Individuals however have agency to choose what they do, including playing / working on Sundays as a profession.

The hypocrisy of those who criticize athletes who choose to play on Sunday is astounding. It is their life, their decision, their career - and they should be able to choose what they deem best without the criticism that comes from many self-righteous individuals posting on these articles.

• DD JayMario American Fork, UT
    July 24, 2011 12:53 p.m.

I shouldn't be typing this on Sunday, but go cougs and go utes.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    July 24, 2011 12:37 p.m.

Henry Drummond | 11:27 a.m.
    San Jose, CA

"I'm not LDS and I have to admit I find this confusing. I've noticed that Church businesses operate on Sunday. There is never a problem with LDS athletes playing on Sunday. I don't quit understand why college athletics should be any different."
    ===

People have the right to choose.

You are comparing apples and oranges. Many college athletes do not go on the play professionally, however, if they do, that is their professional decision to provide income for their family, and I will never question that issue. It's a personal decision.
    ............................

The Utah Jazz have played Sunday games, and been successful at filling the arena.

The question about attendance at athletic contests will be answered by whether or not the Utes are winning.

I believe there are many people in Utah who would enjoy something local to do and would easily snatch up any unused ticket to go watch the Utes.

I loved watching Sunday games at Dodger Stadium, and would roll up to the U to watch them play.

As far as recruiting, this is another example of where BYU and Utah are different from each other, not better.

• mr. j Cottonwood Hts., Ut
    July 24, 2011 12:20 p.m.

That's a little spineless Chris Hill to just say you'll be treated like everyone else. It would have been irresponsible not to join the pac-12 but it never hurts to make the request.

On another note, its good to see the drought has ended on articles about Utah. It's good to see the dnews could fit a story or 2 in about utah amid all the non-stories about BYU.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    July 24, 2011 12:12 p.m.

@wwookie
    Not hard to figure out the reasoning that if someone is good enough to play professional such as in the NFL or NBA that those members of the church who become major early starting players or more stellar players will only on average be playing for 6-8 years of thier lives but will make Fortune 500 CEO like salaries over that time period...therefore having the ability to providing financial security and better educational, quality of life opportunities as well as possible positive missionary experiences for thier families. Why wouldn't the church encourage someone like Steve Young who did... or Jimmer Fredette who more than likely will... become a sporting ambassador for the church.

and by the way...You live in my home town so represent it well on these blogs regardless of whether you are a Ute, Cougar or Aggie fan.

• The Jazz Truth Draper, Utah
    July 24, 2011 11:51 a.m.

Listening to some off these comments is laughable. First off it's a Sunday game once in a while. I think you will be ok if you miss a Sunday of church mo's. Second this is football and kids won't stop playing on Sunday, they don't care. There goal is NFL and if you think for one second they will quit playing when they get there you obviously are sheltered.

Hey BYU fan I highly doubt you stop rooting for your guy when he makes it to The League and plays on Sundays because he's breaking the sabbath. You will get over it.

To the people who think this will be a recruiting angle for BYU. They might try but nothing will change. Really sit and think about it, college is merely stepping stone for these players who want to play beyond college which is the goal since they have been 8 playing gremlin football. Nothing will change.

• NightOwlAmerica SALEM, OR
    July 24, 2011 11:49 a.m.

Julianne:

"I am a BYU fan and I am glad that we left the MWC and won't be playing on Sundays in which the Lord said "Thou shalt keep the Sabbath day holy" and Utah Utes and its fans will not be keeping the Sabbath day holy by playing on Sunday. I hope that they know that they are breaking a commandment and will have to answer to the Lord when it comes to judgement day."

Tell that to Jimmer who will be playing on Sundays.

• NightOwlAmerica SALEM, OR
    July 24, 2011 11:46 a.m.

Memo to BYU fans:

Please tell all of your LDS athletes not to think about going pro. They will be playing on Sundays.

• I Still Can't Say It Holladay, UT
    July 24, 2011 11:43 a.m.

@Independence Is Bliss

"We don't want to play a ton of games on Thursday late at night . . . but it's clearly what the ESPN schedule turns out to be."

Translation: "it doesn't matter what our fans want, we sold our souls to ESPN"

Spineless.

• BlueSaint South Jordan, UT
    July 24, 2011 11:38 a.m.

I have been saying it for months...Sunday play will hurt the Utes! Not only in LDS recruits, but also in non member recruits that hold the same principles. When this subject was brought up a couple of months ago as something the Utes would probably have to adhere to as member of the PAC, I knew immediately BYU could never be in the PAC, and that BYU came out on top of all this realignment. The effects won't be immediately noticed, but as recruits realize the Sunday play for the Utes?....Lets just say 'NO CONTEST'!

For the Utes, this has got to be a SCARY position. The coaches and Hill won't admit to it, but it is something that could devastate the fanbase and recruiting. Seems Utah really is lost without BYU!

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    July 24, 2011 11:27 a.m.

• Lone Star Cougar Plano, TX
    July 24, 2011 11:26 a.m.

I am sorry that the Utes made this decision to play on Sunday. Will there be consequences of this decision?

Maybe they can still work with the conference to get concessions but it looks like they did not think everything all the way through about the joining the PAC conference. At least I hope that is the case. I would hate to think they would decide outright to ignore the Sabbath.

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    July 24, 2011 11:22 a.m.

All the byU homers on here making it sound as if every game the Utes play, every match they have or meet will be held on the sabbath is typical and hypocritical.

If you are going to go on and play in the big leagues, this is something they should get used to. I know there have been some who have said no to Sunday play (a few) but for those that have the skills and have taken them to the next level, they have had to make the adjustment to further their careers ie (Chad Lewis,Paul Kruger and even the Jimmer)

They go to church when they can and fulfill their obligations on the field.

Btw...This will not affect the Utes ability to get kids that want to play at the next level.

• Dave S Holladay, UT
    July 24, 2011 11:09 a.m.

I think most blue chip athletes would prefer to play on the big stage that is the Pac-12 if they are called on to play an occasional Sunday game than play in a non BCS conference of irrelevance.

Nice try though Cougs on spinning this as a recruiting tool to help your school but I don't see it that way at all.

• Idaho Coug Meridian, Idaho
    July 24, 2011 11:05 a.m.

I don't think this will have much affect on recruiting LDS kids to Utah. LDS pro athletes have played on Sunday for decades because that is when the game was scheduled. Ute athletes are in the same boat. Maintaining a scholarship is their job for 4 years.

It really comes down to the kind of LDS environment the kids want. Utah offers a much more open, diverse, relaxed environment while being able to enjoy the Church and fellow members on campus. BYU offers one that is much more rigid and hard-core. Two schools that offer a lot for the LDS athlete depending on their personality.

• isrred Logan, UT
    July 24, 2011 10:48 a.m.

"As a Utah alum, this is very disappointing. Selling our birth rite for a mess of pottage. Sad indeed."

The University of Utah is a STATE school. A secular institution. The idea that they somehow have a "birth rite" to maintain or other religious "sabbaths" to observe is absurd.

• Johnson72 Salt Lake City, UT
    July 24, 2011 10:48 a.m.

Is not Sunday just another day of the week?

• Moderate Salt Lake City, UT
    July 24, 2011 10:40 a.m.

We go to the movies on Sunday. We eat at restaurants, and shop at the mall on Sunday. We watch the NFL, NBA, and MLB on Sunday. But people are shocked shocked shocked that some college sports will be played on Sunday??

Y'all are terrible actors.

• UtahUte16 Salt Lake City, UT
    July 24, 2011 10:32 a.m.

This article is just bait for BYU fans to chest thump about their decision to go independent. I swear even the Ute articles are slanted towards BYU fans here at the DN.

• Julianne North Salt Lake, UT
    July 24, 2011 10:31 a.m.

• Unbiased Viewpoint Draper, UT
    July 24, 2011 10:30 a.m.

Very disappointing to read Chris Hill's remarks about effectively being a slave to the Pac 12 wishes. Multiple times he mention how important it was for Utah not to make waves as if only Utah benefits from the Pac 12 membership. Chris should emphasize that the Pac 12 also is benefiting from Utah's membership unless it is truly a one-sided relationship.

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    July 24, 2011 10:19 a.m.

When the move to the PAC was announced, I predicted in this paper that BYU would have more success recruiting in Utah. This is a good example of how this can happen, although not one of the reason I gave. I'm sure that there will be LDS kids that will play for Utah even if they have to violate the sabath day...but some will not. It makes me wonder about the Utah coaching staff. Those who have concern about such things, will now have to violate their principles to keep their jobs? Do they care? Will Utah fans who care about the Sabath day still attend games?

• Richard Saunders Provo, UT
    July 24, 2011 10:15 a.m.

There is some serious cognitive dissonance going on here. If we are going to criticize the U of U for this decision, then we should criticize Jimmer Fredette for his decision to play in the NBA, which always has games on Sundays, especially in the playoffs when it counts. A choice has the same merit, whether made by an organization or an individual. Two weeks ago, this newspaper published in their "Faith" section an article lauding an athlete for his commitment to not play Sunday games and the respect he earned. Sometime before that, they published an article calling Jimmer "the greatest Mormon missionary". Deseret News, it would be wise to not make a big stink about Sunday games, because, I may be wrong, due to the beam in my eye, but it looks like you are starting to reveal a little 2x4 in your own.

• GoodGuyGary Houston, TX
    July 24, 2011 10:12 a.m.

The recruits should take notes that being a Ute means you could be demanded to play on Sundays.

• blackrulon Ogden, UT
    July 24, 2011 10:03 a.m.

Amazing comments here. I find it curious that many people applaud BYU (a division of the LDS church) for no Sunday play while ignoring that the story was published in the Sunday edition of the Deseret News. The deseret News published on Sunday, KSL radio and television broadcast 7 days a week, KBYU radio and television broadcast 7 days a week. If posters were sincere about honoring Sunday they would avoid doing anything which cause people to work on Sunday. It appears to me that it is okay to force others to work on Sunday while proclaiming Sunday to be a day of rest. I will believe people are sincere about honoring the Sabbath when LDS owned and operated business cease broadcasting and oublishing on Sunday. Making money apparently trumps honoring Gospel doctrines.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    July 24, 2011 9:46 a.m.

Boy, those Sunday games are really going to put a dent into attendance at those wildly popular basketball games on the hill!

Bahahahahahahahahhah

• jdub Ephraim, UT
    July 24, 2011 9:41 a.m.

I agree that Sunday play is inappropriate. It is too bad that Chris Hill didn't have the backbone to say, "As members of this conference we have a dominant religion in our student body that try to obey the commandments handed down millenia ago on Mt. Sinai. We would like to avoid Sunday play whenever possible to be respectful to their beliefs." Instead we get this, "We are the low man on the totem pole and we don't dare ask for anything because we aren't really a full member of the conference and um, um, um..."

• Independence Is Bliss San Jose, CA
    July 24, 2011 9:29 a.m.

"We don't want to play a ton of games on Sunday . . . but it's clearly what the Pac-12 schedule turns out to be."

Translation: "it doesn't matter what our fans want, we sold our souls to the Pac-12"

Spineless.

• ExecutorIoh West Jordan, UT
    July 24, 2011 9:25 a.m.

I think this will hurt the U's recruiting efforts when it comes to recruiting LDS and other faith-based kids.

• Daventry1701 SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    July 24, 2011 9:13 a.m.

Yay Sunday games!!!! Despite the article not acknowledging some of us would be happy about this, I'd be delighted.

• juni4ling Somewhere in Colorado, CO
    July 24, 2011 9:05 a.m.

From Cross Country to Track and Field. From Basketball to Golf...

University of Utah's recruiting just got a little bit tougher...

Like it or not, LDS kids do not want to practice or play on Sunday. Some might even forego a scholarship altogether to avoid "playing" on Sunday.

I get called-in to work in my LE capacity job sometimes on Sunday. But on every other Sunday, I, myself, and I teach my kids to avoid sporting events, and other non-essential activities in honor of "The Lord's Day."

If BYU (or SUU, or Utah State, or Weber State, etc.) can guarantee kids that have been raised in active LDS homes that they will never have to practice or play on Sunday, BYU has an advantage over the U of U in going after active LDS kids... And, like it or not, the U of U has a *lot* of active LDS involved in sports...

The Lords Day is a big deal to a lot of active LDS kids...

I was recruited in HS. One of the things that determined where I went to school was how the coach honored my desire to serve a mission, and Sundays off.

• wwookie Payson, UT
    July 24, 2011 8:50 a.m.

I wish the culture in America still had one day a week that was truly non-commerical, but gone are those days in the U.S. I will attend Sunday games only if they are major events (championships, major out-of-conference games). Otherwise I'll just be watching on TV or catch the highlights later in the day.

Never understood the BYU thing - they encourage their star players to go into the NFL draft and play on Sundays, yet won't play on Sunday. I imagine the cougar fans have 101 excuses as to why it's not hypocritical of them to watch and support their favorite players playing on Sunday and then attempt to belittle schools/conferences that do play on Sunday. Again, I guess that's just the culture they breed down there.

• Hoosier in Utah Spanish Fork, UT
    July 24, 2011 8:27 a.m.

Don't think for a moment BYU won't use this as a recruiting tactic. This is one of many reasons BYU would never had received an invite to the PAC-xx conference--and would never had accepted without this concession.

Utah moving to the big leagues can only be a good thing, but they are going to lose recruits to "that team down south" due to pressure from parents, bishops, but possibly most of all, their own personal convictions.

• Dektol Powell, OH
    July 24, 2011 8:14 a.m.

Sure would be nice to visit and watch UofU vs SoCal on a nice Sunday afternoon. A great family outing seeing top notch football, tailgating and eating BBQ and enjoying the day with friends all having a good time.
    A lot better than those self righteous types telling everyone 'never on Sunday' while the go home from or skip church to watch pro football on TV.

Congrats to UofU for helping move Utah into the 21st Century - and doing so openly.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    July 24, 2011 8:11 a.m.

Welcome to the real word!

• Fred Vader Oklahoma City, OK
    July 24, 2011 8:02 a.m.

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    July 24, 2011 8:00 a.m.

How could playing on Sunday possibly be a headline?

• Ben H Clearfield, UT
    July 24, 2011 7:58 a.m.

Now it is clear why the Pac-10 passed on BYU.

• Marky Mesa, AZ
    July 24, 2011 7:36 a.m.

This is great. More Sunday games for the Utes means that LDS kids and athletes from other faiths that honor Sunday as the Sabbath day will have even more reasons to attend BYU.

• I Choose Freedom Atlanta, GA
    July 24, 2011 7:30 a.m.

. . . "never on Sunday," to accommodate fellow MWC member BYU's policy of not playing on Sunday."

Hummm, No, I think that is God's policy. BYU just chooses to comply.

• JimmyRay Greenfield, IN
    July 24, 2011 7:20 a.m.

We get it--Utah should not have joined the Pac-12. Can you go back to writing articles on BYU and how it made the best move in NCAA football history by going independent.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    July 24, 2011 7:12 a.m.

Commisioner Scott has even indicaed that the Pac 10.2 is willing to play Sunday football games.

Sunday games for utah, Sunday practices for utah, games televised on kjzz or kued.

ESPN ignores them.

Oh yea, every LDS Athletes Dream Scenario?

NOT!!

• Laser Iowa City, IA
    July 24, 2011 6:57 a.m.

It's not a "culture" thing why Sunday games are not preferred it's a "biblical" thing. Most Christians know that, it doesn't matter what faith you belong too. Keeping the sabbath holy is part of every christian religion code of conduct. It's one of the very basic fundamentals of Christianity.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    July 24, 2011 6:50 a.m.

Independence > conference peer pressure

I sincerely hope that Sunday play is held to a minimum out of respect to those players and fans that it makes a difference to.

• Rock Of The Marne Phoenix, AZ
    July 24, 2011 6:44 a.m.

As Mormon and a Ute fan the Sunday play issue is my least favorite part of joining the PAC 12. Hopefully money talks and they at least won't have to play home games on Sunday as attendance will be lower meaning less money. It would be nice if they would not make Utah play on Sunday at all but I am pretty sure that isn't an option that will be offered. Thankfully the major sports will likley only be on Sunday during playoffs. I respect BYU for holding fast on this issue. Good Morning Utah from the sands of Arabia.

• dumprake Washington, UT
    July 24, 2011 6:36 a.m.

Ah, the price you pay to become more like the world. You get money, glory and praise, but you must slaughter the Sabbath to do it.

• ER in EUR Belgrade, Serbia
    July 24, 2011 5:30 a.m.

I think this article missed a great angle. What impact will this have on recruiting Mormons? Will the BYU coaches hammer to the Mormon guys and gals the Sunday point? If my kid were being recruited I would certainly like the idea that they will observe the Sabath. I think this will help BYU in that the Pac-12 and the MWC schedule their games on Sundays. Makes the decision easier.

• JapanCougar Apo, AP
    July 24, 2011 3:28 a.m.

Everyone needs at least one day of rest each week--a time to relax from the day-to-day duties and refocus.
    It's too bad that sports, shopping, and business have all become so important that we can't take one day off each week from these activities.

• My2Pence Pleasant Grove, UT
    July 24, 2011 1:33 a.m.

Reading this article reminded me of a principle long forgotten by our modern secular society.

Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.(Exodus 20:3)

"And hallow my sabbaths; and they shall be a sign between me and you, that ye may know that I am the Lord your God." (Ezekiel 20:20)

"We have become largely a world of Sabbath breakers. On the Sabbath the lakes are full of boats, the beaches are crowded, the shows have their best attendance, the golf links are dotted with players..even ball games are played on the sacred day. Business as usual is the slogan for many, and our holy day has become a holiday. And because so many people treat the day as a holiday, numerous others cater to the wants of the fun-lovers and money-makers." (Spencer W. Kimball - Ensign, Jan 1978)

College sports have jumped on the band-wagon because there's money to be made. It's unfortunate that it pits us against a divine injunction.

As a God-Respecting Ute fan, I'll cheer them along, six days a week.

• sports fan Provo, UT
    July 24, 2011 12:49 a.m.

i have got to get one of those ties.