Utah Utes football: KJZZ lines up TV deal with Utes

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    July 26, 2011 3:07 p.m.

Speaking of BYUtv, the NCAA has called an Aug. 22 summit to discuss collegiate networks, according to CBSSports.com.

Texas is the key guy the NCAA wants to talk to concerning their soon to be launched Longhorn Network. CBS says they havent confirmed it yet, but the summit may also include BYU, the Big Ten, Notre Dame (who reportedly also wants to start their own network) and the Mountain West.

You dont have to be very smart to figure out that BYU and BYUtv are way ahead of the curve in this network business. The college big boys will be monitoring all that BYU and BYUtv does as an independent very closely.

I think the NCAA is very jittery looking at potential major changes looming in 2014 when the Big 12, SEC and (iirc) Big 10 come up for new TV deals. Once again BYU is the catalyst for change and breaking new ground. They are once again the straw that stirs the college football drink and everyone is paying attention to them as a result.

I guess being a "Pioneer" is just in their blood. Btw, Happy Pioneer Day!

• Hegdehog Bountiful, UT
    July 25, 2011 7:49 p.m.

"Utah's TV package will grow as the team is successful."

Yeah, maybe they'll get some games on the Home Shopping Network too. It's hilarious to see all the Utah fans change tunes now that they're finally getting a TV deal of their own. It's equally ironic that their first game is on a Thursday night.

"Non-BYU sports fans do not know BYU TV exists and will never find it"

I get the feeling you don't pay attention very well...the whole purpose of BYUtv is so that BYU fans can see BYU broadcasting. If BYUtv was worried about competing head to head with Versus, etc for the general sports fan then you'd see them advertising nationally to raise awareness, which they're not doing. They have ESPN to handle the national stuff.

That's just the point, BYUtv doesn't care about the general sports fan, they only care about BYU sports fans. I have family and friends who live all the way up in Alaska and they get BYUtv in their basic cable package and can now watch every BYU game on TV.
    Hopefully you'll finally get it (but I'm not counting on it).

• Hegdehog Bountiful, UT
    July 25, 2011 7:27 p.m.

"I'd rather be a team in a prominent conference with a shot at the Rose Bowl every year with the accompanying exposure that this brings"

Just ask Washington State fans, they're certainly living the Pac10.2 high life.

Nobody is buying it ute fan. Especially not from a fanbase that has a history of disappearing during lean years (check out attendance during the late 90's). Your fanbase just started getting a taste of some success on a fairly regular basis. Now that taste becomes once a generation or so. I hardly think many Ute fans will find that satisfactory.

• giantfan Farmington, UT
    July 25, 2011 4:03 p.m.

Re: hedgehog

Since you brought it up, the New Mexico Bowl scored a 1.8 in Nielsens, which factors to about 2.8 million households. In comparison, the Las Vegas Bowl scored a 3.3 or 5.4 million households. So, what we learn is that roughly 2.6 million more households watched Utah lay an egg versus those that watched BYU trounce UTEP. Go ahead and pound your chest over that exposure! I knew you'd have a qualifier though for not including the one positive bit of national exposure that BYU football scored last year. How much do you want to wager that more people saw BYU's victory over UTEP than saw any of BYU's games on Versus or CBSC or even the Florida State ESPN game?

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    July 25, 2011 3:33 p.m.

"BYU's landslide victory over UTEP in the New Mexico Bowl was on nationally televised ESPN last year. Don't you just hate it when facts get in the way of a good rant?"

I was doing you a favor by not mentioning it. Though it was covered "nationally" no one saw it....do I need to post the ratings? and how it compared with other dredge bowl games? Yea, I didn't think so.

Looks like your billions of bYu fans just didn't seem to care enough to toon in...sad really.

• pittsburgh Ute West Jordan, Utah
    July 25, 2011 1:32 p.m.

since you missed th point of my comment, I will use smaller words. I did not say anything about national coverage. I said that such coveage does not mean success. Norte Dame has has been independant for years with all of their games broadcast on NBC. If they couldnt win it all, I have zero faith bYu will.
    National coverage= national championship, history says no...

• Farid @ Pocatello Pocatello, ID
    July 25, 2011 1:12 p.m.

Just a thought here .....

What would happen if BYU and Utah simply stopped playing each other (I acknowledge it won't happen anytime soon).

After a few years, the hatred would cease (at least lessen) and Ute fans would kind-of root for BYU and vice versa. I know that right now, I would just as soon see the 'U' go 0-12 and suffer (it would make BYU look better). But if the two schools didn't play, I would probably watch some of their games and look forward to a good season for the Utes.

It's like Weber State. We don't play them, but they are "in state" so I check the scores and see how they do. I think the same would apply for the Utes.

Not saying it's what I'd like to see happen, rather just wonder how it would shake out if it did.

Good for Utah regarding the telecast(s). As an official "old folk," I remember the days when the NCAA limited the number of games you could have on television (it was like two or three). Prior to 1984, I think I saw BYU play once on TV. Yay for all-games-televised.

• LonestarRunner Salt Lake City, UT
    July 25, 2011 12:22 p.m.

"Non-BYU sports fans do not know BYU TV exists and will never find it..."

10 of 12 BYU games will be on ESPN this year; the Idaho State game on BYUtv and the pending Oregon State game (which could be on ESPN, Fox, or BYUtv), are hardly a concern as far as exposure.

BYU games on BYUtv will probably be missed by the casual channel-surfing sportsfans, but guaranteed, fans of opposing teams will find the game if they're one of the 60 million who have access to BYUtv. As word spreads of BYU games being broadcast on BYUtv, so will casual viewership.

• giantfan Farmington, UT
    July 25, 2011 11:58 a.m.

Re: ImaCaMan

You may be right that non-BYU fans will have trouble happening upon or finding BYUtv but that seems to be a moot poing since more than half of BYU's games will be on ESPN this year. The average fan certainly knows how to find that channel! What's even better is those that want to see BYU play will certainly have access to each and every game all over the world (ESPN, BYUtv, BYUtv app). Not something a Ute fan can reiterate in say California or Ann Arbor Michigan!

• giantfan Farmington, UT
    July 25, 2011 11:41 a.m.

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    July 25, 2011 9:19 a.m.

Sammyg said...

byU "was still in the game in the second half for a while" against TCU. LOL

Oh man! Can you really justify a 28 point loss? How was that exposure in Logan?

Still rolling!

• sammyg Springville, UT
    July 25, 2011 7:09 a.m.

@pitt ute

"It is so funny how many y fans are on this link. Are these the same bYu fans who say they dont care about Utah?"

You think this is funny? Go look up any BYU article and you will be humored considerably more by the shear volume of Ute fan comments respectively.

Several of us care about ute fans, thus we try to help them through some things. And of course several people just overlook facts all together.

Here's a prime example, there are about 2 million local fans within the reaches of the KJZZ tv signal. There's less than 10 out of state fans by fact of the comments to this article.

If you can't receive the tv signal and watch the games then why comment on the story? Does tv coverage and viewership determine national relevancy? Several BYU fans think so. Several Ute fans don't. Thus the banter.

The rivalry is deep and after having the PAC invite rubbed into the faces of Cougar fans for so long the ability to comment on the tv coverage is just another way to even the field.

ESPN = national coverage
    KJZZ = regional coverage

Glad for KJZZ.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    July 25, 2011 12:04 a.m.

This is exactly what I predicted would happen. Local station so local coverage. But the truth of it is that 99% of ute fans live in Utah so most of them will get to see the games. I am also willing to bet utah will make more money from KJZZ than they did from the mtn. One of the problems with the mtn for BYU was that BYU made alot more money from the local KSL broadcasts than they did from the mtn. BYU took a huge hit in the wallet with the mtn contract, several million dollars worth, and they did it for the good of the other schools in the mwc who had no tv deals at all, locally or nationally. The truth is all of the schools besides BYU, and maybe utah, made more oney from the mtn than ever before so that is why they consistently voted agaisnt BYU having any outside deal.

Just one more reason BYU left those leeches behind.

So this is good for utah and is actually a good example of why they need a conference. This sort of deal is the best they can do on their own.

• ImaCaMan Redlands, CA
    July 24, 2011 9:06 p.m.

Non-BYU sports fans do not know BYU TV exists and will never find it, pending their service even carries it. Versus, CBSC, as a sports fan I check them out every Saturday. Having lived all over the country, outside of the Ward no one cares about BYU or their TV station. They sure aren't going to go out of their way to hunt down that staton to watch one of the many chump-of-the-week home games BYU has scheduled. ha!

• pittsburgh Ute West Jordan, Utah
    July 24, 2011 5:35 p.m.

It is so funny how many y fans are on this link. Are these the same bYu fans who say they dont care about Utah? I find it funny that all these zoobies think a good TV deal will spell instant success. Notre Dame has had all of their games nationally broadcast on NBC for years and they have an amazing history for their program. But how many national championships have they won in the last 10 years? If a team like ND with all their history, fans and great TV deal havent been able to win the big one, what makes bYu think they will. Good luck in the nothing bowl again bYu, we will be playing in yet another BCS game very soon.
    Go Utes!

• sammyg Springville, UT
    July 24, 2011 3:41 p.m.

That's funny.

BYU held TCU to 31 points and was still in the game in the second half for a while. Your guys gave them 47.

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    July 24, 2011 12:15 p.m.

BYU & games on TV = Nephites & Rameuptom.

• zeba Brigham City, UT
    July 24, 2011 11:53 a.m.

@TJ: The story is about KJZZ covering the Utes locally where the majority of fans are located. There are not many state colleges that have huge national followings, or have all their games nationally broadcast.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    July 24, 2011 10:25 a.m.

"KJZZ is better than BYUtv. Period End of Story Final Stick a Fork in It.
    Anyone who says differently isn't a fan of true sports, like I am!"

What planet are you from? BYU goes to 60 Million homes. Kjazz goes to about 2 million. If your a fan living in Utah, Kjazz is great. If not, your out of luck unless your a big fan of radio.

What you say is true but off point a bit. I wasn't talking about who has the easier path. I simply stated that BYU could go to a BCS bowl and Utah could be sitting home in December in reply to a anti-Y person.
    BYU could even end up there with one loss if they are ranked high enough and their loss is against a top 10 team. Not likely but possible if the circumstances are right.

• WestCoast1 Escondido, CA
    July 24, 2011 9:57 a.m.

A very nice post by "More Mature Y Fan". The rivalry has certainly seen things swing from one side to another. My grandfather used to tell me stories of when the U so completely dominated the Y for 40 years or so that there was talk of taking the Y off their schedule. USU was the only local competition that the U had to get up for, along with Colorado. But things change.

Looking at the whole picture, I, too, think that this next step is good for both the U and the Y. I also think that by going separate ways, the bitterness and ugliness of the rivalry will soften and hopefully become one where there can be mutual respect from both sides.

• zeba Brigham City, UT
    July 24, 2011 9:05 a.m.

This is good news, and not unexpected. Hopefully HD cameras will be used which is very different then just broadcasting on KJZZ HD. I have Comcast, that has KJZZ HD, and every high school and college sporting event I have watched on KJZZ HD has been without HD cameras... So the picture quality looked like The Mtn... Does anyone know if HD cameras will be used? And when will KJZZ HD be available on DISH and DIRECTV?

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    July 23, 2011 10:52 p.m.

More Mature Y Fan...

You live up to your screen name! Great post!

I agree with your remarks 100%!!!

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    July 23, 2011 10:40 p.m.

If anything it will make games a ton easier for local fans to see. It is hard not having Jazz games on KJZZ because they used to be easy to watch on TV. Not so much anymore.

• More Mature Y Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    July 23, 2011 9:11 p.m.

Two things have forever changed the rivalry for the worse. Money and the internet. In my days of fandom Utah wasn't the focus; the Holiday Bowl was. Utah was a win virtually every year.

I also remember the friendly cooperation between Utah and BYU. BYU didn't have a place to practice in foul weather so Utah allowed BYU to practice in Utah's dome. Today that wouldn't happen because there is importance placed on recruiting and the dollars star athletes bring to the school. Secondly is the behaviour of the fans on the internet. It seems there is almost a competition to be a bigger fan from both sides.

The fact is that BYU signed an excellent TV contract that appears to reflect the direction the First Presidency wants to go. Exposure over monetary gain. Utah has no TV contract because it joins in the last year of the PAC's current contract. That is the sacrifice they are making. BYU is heading to a great journey as is Utah. Can't see the situation for what it is? BYU gets greater exposure immediately. Utah sacrifices for a year then has a splendid contract. In the end both schools win.

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    July 23, 2011 7:48 p.m.

Of course all that is true. But one thing needs to be clarified.

To get to a BCS game, BYU will need to go undefeated... period. A 1 or 2 loss BYU won't get in. But Utah can still get in with 1 or 2 losses.

That's where our conference affiliation brings the most value, and why us U fans believe we are in a better place than BYU is.

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    July 23, 2011 7:36 p.m.

Bitterman (fitting name) ...

If all of the utes games were on KJZZ, you might have a point.

Since they're not... you are a troll.

Thanks for playing.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    July 23, 2011 6:29 p.m.

Good news for those in Utah.

Some fun Saturdays coming up.

• G-Swenz Providence, UT
    July 23, 2011 3:50 p.m.

Why not sign a deal with a team that wins, recruits in-state kids, and has good fan support: a.k.a. Utah State

• CKS007 Clearfield, UT
    July 23, 2011 2:21 p.m.

Wow, both Utah and BYU will be on local free over-the-air digital HD television. I'm glad to see that the schools are finally catching up to Utah State. (grin)

On another note, it's good to see sports back on KJZZ (ya know, the reason LHM purchased the television station) after the Utah Jazz abandoned their local fans for greed.

• Hardcore UTE-FAN!! Spanish Fork, UT
    July 23, 2011 2:05 p.m.

KJZZ is better than BYUtv. Period End of Story Final Stick a Fork in It.
    Anyone who says differently isn't a fan of true sports, like I am!

• BigCougFan Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 23, 2011 1:39 p.m.

I'm happy there will be more Utah games available on tv this year! This is great news for football fans in the state of Utah.

• BYU/RSL Fan Provo, UT
    July 23, 2011 1:28 p.m.

@ Rock...

What? Was it something I said? The Utes have fans here in Utah, right?

I was just saying that the KJZZ distribution is adequate for the Ute fans here in Utah.

• MESOUTE Wandering, Earth
    July 23, 2011 12:53 p.m.

I find the comparisons between TV exposure useless. I am comfortable as a Utah fan saying that BYU has Utah licked as far as exposure and TV footprint (next year and the year after as well) and KJZZ is less than ideal (especially if Steve Brown is involved at all). Big deal. It does not bother me. BYU has a larger fan base spread out over a larger region. Big deal. Are we as Utah fans here to cheer for our team or rip on the other team? All I care about as a fan is this . . . is my team winning? Is my team giving it their best effort and leaving it all on the field? I cheer for my team and couldn't care any less about TV.

• davidutefan Evanston, WY
    July 23, 2011 12:50 p.m.

as a season ticket holder, I just hope they pick up some of the road games.

• Razzle2 Bluffdale, UT
    July 23, 2011 12:05 p.m.

Arizona State, Oregon State, UCLA, and Washington don't have guaranteed national TV deals. They have to win first. Utah is in the same boat. KJZZ is just a back-up after MT ST.

• Razzle2 Bluffdale, UT
    July 23, 2011 11:50 a.m.

Last year I lost my job, my tickets, and my cable TV. I hung to the games with ESPN Radio and KSL Radio (BYU Games) and ESPN gamecast online. Great to have free TV football again.
    Although this year I am going to all of the Utah games plus 2-3 road trips to make up for last year.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    July 23, 2011 11:26 a.m.

"But how did the 3 national games go last season?"

"It is pretty clear to see who is and is not relevant on the National Stage."

Let's tak a look at ol' bYu National games last year..K?

Air Force Versus LOSE
    Fl. St Versus LOSE
    Utah St ESPN LOSE
    TCU Versus LOSE

And all four were blowouts.

Thanks for playing

• --JEFFE-- Cedar City, UT
    July 23, 2011 11:09 a.m.

So lets see...

BYU = 8yr contract with ESPN (World Wide Leader in Sports) who will feature BYU 10 times next season.. Every game that is not on ESPN will be shown on HD BYUtv. BYU is set up to receive anywhere from 9-12 million in the first year of Independence. Keep in mind BYU had an athletic program running in the black already with the 1.2 million mtn. west payout.

Utah= 1 game on ESPN (thanks to BYU) 1 game on Vs. (thanks to USC) and 1 game on FSN (FSN?) - Then Utah can also be seen on Kjzz. Which is strictly regional. I guess the bright side is, Utah has 3 games on national TV. But how did the 3 national games go last season? (47-7) (28-3) (26-3). I think this years games on National TV will probably turn out about the same. Utah has some serious ground to make up before catching up with even the bottom teams in the PAC.

It is pretty clear to see who is and is not relevant on the National Stage.

BYU > Utah

• Rock Of The Marne Phoenix, AZ
    July 23, 2011 10:30 a.m.

Sammy G and BYU/RSL fan, thanks for joining us. It is always good for a laugh to read the threads regarding my Utes (even while in the Middle East) to find without fail the petty thoughts of certain Y fans directed against my Utes. Thanks for showing your support to the U of U which obvivously occupies way too much of your time. WestCoast1 was right, Utah's position is far better than BYU's anf only a reality challenged Y fan would see it differently.

• DH48 West Jordan, UT
    July 23, 2011 10:18 a.m.

Utah's TV package will grow as the team is successful. Both schools are embarking on a new journey. Let's hope both enjoy tremendous success.

GO Coug's, Good luck Utes!

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    July 23, 2011 10:13 a.m.

westcoast. You have some good points but there are other considerations. BYU has several "bowl" type games a year, nationally televised along with all their other games. Every team has an uncertain future. Look as Washington, Colorado and every other bottow third team in every conference, BCS included. IF BYU does well enough, they will be in a BCS game at some time in the near future. No guarantees, but that is possible. If Utah does bad enough, they could be sitting at home during the bowl season.
    No guarantees for either is there.
    Being a team in a prominent conference only takes you so far doesn't it. Ask Washington State or Colorado if they wouldn't trade a bunch of their affiliation money for a couple of good seasons and a BCS game. I am sure that any sports fan with a knowledge of the national football landscape would agree.

• WestCoast1 Escondido, CA
    July 23, 2011 9:15 a.m.

sammyg from Springville, UT:

I'd rather be a team in a prominent conference with a shot at the Rose Bowl every year with the accompanying exposure that this brings, as opposed to a team with an uncertain future with no guarantees other than a small bowl in Dallas overshadowed by the Cotton Bowl each year. Any other sports fan with knowledge of the football landscape would agree with me as well.

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    July 23, 2011 9:02 a.m.

A one year bandaid for just a few games. No big deal. The big deal starts in 2012. I'm glad to get more of the loose ends tied up for this year of transition.

Go Utes

• BYU/RSL Fan Provo, UT
    July 23, 2011 9:00 a.m.

KJZZ will be adequate for the Utes' target audience.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    July 23, 2011 7:42 a.m.

Shucks! It was sure fun gloating about ESPN and AM radio.

I guess I'll waste time now allowing the 'ute fan' to grow within me and watch a game or two.

A regional tv contract for a regional team, I like that.

• sports fan Provo, UT
    July 23, 2011 7:24 a.m.

I like it, due to the PAC still being under its pathetic old broadcasting rights deal the possibility stands that a lot of games won't be nationally broadcast so Utah sets up a one year deal with a local provider that will greatly benefit the state. Just one more way the university of Utah is giving back to the community. Next year when the new deal comes onto effect something like this will not be possible.

Love being a Ute fan!

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    July 23, 2011 6:52 a.m.

@ TJ, My, aren't we a bit jumpy this morning, are we? But I can understand where you're coming from, bro! Like you said, "...the ESPN horse is long dead, buried, and decomposed." Here's hoping none of the airhead fans from either side will start such nonsense as you referred to. I'm a huge Cougar fan but I also love to see the Utes continue to be a great success and root for them against all their opponents except BYU. Glad the Ute fans will be able to see their team locally on TV. The future indeed is looking great for both programs, but it won't mean a dang thing if they don't win. Go Cougs! Go Utes!

• Bitterman west jordan, ut
    July 23, 2011 4:58 a.m.

"TV" is most certainly not TV. Or have you learned nothing from the sad and pitiful tale of the MTN? Market exposure, and the resulting revenue, is very much the driving force behind the conference expansion that has become the primary ammunition for the utes cries of "supremacy". But the good news is that with one notable Ann Arbor exception KJAZZ should indeed cover and serve the sum and total of the ute fan base. Rather than troll, this BYU fan wishes to congratulate the utes on finding the perfect fit.

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    July 23, 2011 4:40 a.m.

This is actually good news. I was nearly certain that the Montana State game would not be televised (like the San Jose game last year).

It doesn't matter to me, since I will be at all of the Ute games this year. But it's nice the rest of the fans can see it on TV.

• pittsburgh Ute West Jordan, Utah
    July 23, 2011 4:33 a.m.

I have mixed feelings here. Of course I am happy to be able to see my Utes play on TV any time I can. But I would love them to have more national exposure. Since I have young children, I cant make it to every game so I love having them on locally. When I lived in Pittsburgh me and several Ute fans would get together and watch games on Versus and others. As the program continues to improve, the bigger TV deals will follow.
    Go Utes!!

• riddlemethis Clearfield, UT
    July 23, 2011 2:13 a.m.

Any channel > The Mtn.

• 79Ute Orange County, CA
    July 23, 2011 1:24 a.m.

For us non-Utah Utes, we'd like to see the U on ESPN a few times. Between Versus, CBS College Sports, and the Mtn there were very few U games I couldn't see. KJZZ isn't enough for a university trying to be a national power (or even a regional power trying to get some exposure outside of the Great Basin). I wish Hill & Co. could get us more exposure here in SoCal. After all, this is where U'll be recruiting for football and basketball to match the PAC-12 talent level, so what can U do for us out-of-state tuition payers?

• Tommy2Shoes Lehi, UT
    July 23, 2011 1:11 a.m.

Y fan here, glad we can watch all Utah games, most likely now with this deal. Love Coach Whit and Chow. Wish them every success this year. If they are great this year they'll be snapped up by Fox, if not, KJZZ works for me. It will be at least as good as BYU TV and probably Utes will earn some extra cash and who doesn't need that. I'm an old PAC-8 and Cal season ticket holder that appreciates a great college football game. Both schools better start recruiting players and assistant coaches. Next, upgrade all athletic programs starting with football and basketball. Hope we all succeed.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    July 23, 2011 12:18 a.m.

TV is TV. As long as we can get it locally, life is good for Ute fans. I will be watching them.

And Y "fans" \ U trollers. Shut up about comparing to ESPN. That horse is dead buried and decomposed.