Utah

Jon Huntsman Jr. stands by his Mormon religion

Comments

• Idaho Coug Meridian, Idaho
    July 21, 2011 12:23 p.m.

For all of you who are judging Huntsman's level of Mormonism, do you recognize that, of the 13 million members so proudly announced by the Church, the majority are inactive, have nothing whatsoever to do with the Church, or are much closer to Huntsman than Romney in their beliefs? If only die-hard, Romney-like members really count then let's start being honest and only report 5 million or so members.

• A voice of Reason Salt Lake City, UT
    July 21, 2011 11:10 a.m.

"I am amazed at the attitude of the LDS people in Utah. You sound so pompous!"

When LDS members from outside of Utah say things like this, it is obviously not us who are being "so pompous".

Such judgement is inappropriate; it is absolutely no different than saying 'if you're from Utah, you're not as good of a Mormon'. This viewpoint in itself is not a very LDS way to look at people.

Please reconsider.

• Southernmiss HATTIESBURG, MS
    July 20, 2011 7:07 p.m.

Obviously, from my screen name you can see that I am not a "local"! I am amazed at the attitude of the LDS people in Utah. You sound so pompous! I am an active member of the church and I personally choose to vote for those who have a christian faith, but I have learned that always choosing a mormon, whether in politics or business is not always the best choice! I am active in local politics and get quite an earfull about the various candidates. Even in the deep south, bible belt, Mitt is a favorite. His being a mormon was definitely a disadvantage last go around, but people have "seen the light" and are very aware of the error of their ways! Jon Huntsman, at this point, is a non-issue. No one here knows him. As I have read and listened to him, he seems to flip-flop on the issues, so I am not impressed and don't see him getting far. We will see. I am open... One thing is for sure, conservatives need to stand together or we will be in the same shape again after the 2012 election! Quit whining and get involved!

• hermounts Pleasanton, CA
    July 20, 2011 5:33 p.m.

There's nothing in the story that matches the headline. Nothing Huntsman says here is about his religion.

• Kimball Bakersfield, CA
    July 20, 2011 10:58 a.m.

Evangelicals will cut their own throats by blindly refusing candidates who are mormon. The two religious groups have more values in common than other voters. Anyway, I thought religious bigotry was un christian.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    July 20, 2011 10:27 a.m.

"With each day, the Huntsman campaign seems less and less like a serious attempt to gain a foothold in the primary and more like a stunt by Huntsman to become the 'conservative' (but not really) darling of liberal media outlets."

So, he's not the early favorite so he doesn't have a chance? Just out of curiosity, where were Kennedy, Carter, Clinton and Obama early in their campaigns?

• gramma b Orem, UT
    July 20, 2011 8:25 a.m.

@Cats: "The fact is, Huntsman is just coming across as so doggoned UNimpressive."

LOL. How can you say that? He's obviously very impressed with himself. He creeps me out every time he's on television. He is so prissy in his mannerisms, and always looks like he's straining to catch a glimpse of his fabulous self in the camera lens.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    July 20, 2011 6:57 a.m.

The fact is, Huntsman is just coming across as so doggoned UNimpressive. I guess this is just a chance to get his name out there for 2016. He can't seriously think he's going to get the nomination. It is to be hoped that we get a Republican in 2012, making Huntsman's 2016 presidential run unnecessary.

• amst plano, tx
    July 20, 2011 2:20 a.m.

It sounds like he is less active to me.

• JRJ Pocatello, ID
    July 19, 2011 11:33 p.m.

As an active LDS my choice is Texas Gov. We need to pull together to get rid of Obama and his cronies. All this nonsense about religion is just that - nonsense. The GOP has a strong line-up for a potential candidate. We simply need to focus on that one person and get busy. Please, please, please stay on the important things and leave the religion out of it.

• SLCAttorney Sandy, UT
    July 19, 2011 10:37 p.m.

Did I miss something? I've read this article three times and can't find a single quote or description of JH "standing by his Mormon religion." When he says "If it's about religion, I'll always come up short anyway", that's it? That's standing by? The title of this article is WAY too generous.

• xscribe Colorado Springs, CO
    July 19, 2011 9:47 p.m.

I can almost bet that there are posts on here - I skipped most of them - by people who throw stones, yet don't live up to their religion also. Hypocracy?

• justice4all Moab, UT
    July 19, 2011 9:28 p.m.

As for me, I am voting for Romney. I think it would be great if 2 canditdates that are LDS would run for President of the United States. I did get the chance however to meet Huntsman in person. He took the time out of his very busy schedule to visit with a large group of disabled Americans in SLC. He spoke to them and was nothing but kind and considerate. It did not matter to him that they were disabled, some severely. I think that says something about his character too.

• Allen#1 West Valley, UT
    July 19, 2011 9:03 p.m.

Colin Powell would be a much better candidate than Romney or Huntsman. Both Romney and Huntsman got credit for positive things done by someone else whereas Colin Powell earned his reputation for being a leader.

• The Atheist Provo, UT
    July 19, 2011 8:02 p.m.

Bull,

"Keep your Atheism out of my culture and way of life."

It is not "your" culture. It is mine, too. And nobody is putting "atheism" into your "way of life". Only you can do that.

I repeat, keep your religious nonsense out of the Government and public arenas. I don't pay taxes to support your superstitious baloney.

Tom in CA,

"Atheist: This is not what the Founders had in mind when they framed the Constitution in this country. In God We Trust."

The Founders did not put God anywhere in the Constitution, nor did they put "In God We Trust" on legal tender. That was done by religious fanatics in 1956, and has been challenged effectively since then. In Lynch v. Donnelly (1984), the Supreme Court upheld the motto because it has "lost through rote repetition any significant religious content".

So, officially and legally, that meaningless phrase has been declared empty of religious content - kind of like Santa Claus. I'm OK with that. Are you?

• Monsieur le prof Sandy, UT
    July 19, 2011 6:55 p.m.

Journalism 101: "Know your readers and write for your audience." Check the newspapers of any city and it will have a preponderance of news pertaining to the locals and their interests. The headline was the worst part of this story, having nothing to do with the substance.

Huntsman isn't active and hasn't been active for some time. However, he said he "is proud of his Mormon roots." Oh goody. He is a fence straddler all the way, pretending to be what he isn't in Utah (Mormon and conservative), and then changing his tune outside the state. I've lost all respect for the man.

• Sandy Salt Lake City, UT
    July 19, 2011 6:38 p.m.

I sure hope Romney can get the nomination. He'll be a terrific president. What's with these Repubs?! We have such a jaded electorate . . .

• Brother Chuck Schroeder A Tropical Paradise USA, FL
    July 19, 2011 5:55 p.m.

Huntsman?-LOL. First off, this did not come from some Robert Bennett, former U.S. Senator from Utah, that is a part-time teacher, researcher and lecturer at the University of Utah's Hinckley Institute of Politics, if he was so smart, he would still be in Office. It came from us along with common sense. "Cut GOP Pork and Earmark spending!" and "Raise taxes on the rich!." The rich aren't hiring anyone, they are outsourcing and paying nothing for wages so they can make even more money. The rich don't care about the country, they care about being rich. If that is the most important thing in the country fine great they are doing a good job of it, record profits while the rest of the country is suffering. We can paint any picture we want, but that is the bottom line. Let's look at the GOP growing entitlement programs for BIG BUSINESS and the Koch brothers. The calamitous consequences of default combined with Democratic control of the White House and Senate means that Republicans cannot score a clean victory and use the debt ceiling alone to achieve a laundry list of Pork and Earmark conservative priorities.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    July 19, 2011 5:31 p.m.

JLFuller | 2:22 p.m. July 19, 2011
    Boise, ID

=========================

1. Show me in the US Constitution that he needs to do that to be POTUS.

2. Only his LDS Bishop has the right/needs to ask such questions.

• Zoniezoobie Mesa, AZ
    July 19, 2011 5:16 p.m.

I think the Church-owned newspaper has every right to publish whatever news, stories, or commentaries in regard to its religion and the large readership who share that faith, as well as those not of this faith, but are affected by its presence and the presence of its members in the community.

It would be up to the editor and publisher to make changes if their revenues were greatly affected by such content.

Meanwhile, Huntsman has the right to run for office and expouse his religion if he chooses to, even if many see his candidacy as a waste of time and money.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    July 19, 2011 5:07 p.m.

This has been something of a fixation lately, no?

• A voice of Reason Salt Lake City, UT
    July 19, 2011 5:00 p.m.

I posted this on another article.

"People who complain about such "Mormon" comments should consider the following.

They chose, according to their own free desire, to come to the website of a 'Mormon' owned newspaper, that has a 'Mormon' themed insert paper every week, and online has a whole section dedicated to 'Mormon' topics.

Also, that 'Mormon' comments being found in abundance in a Utah newspaper is no different than if we all were reading a paper published by the Vatican. Catholic comments outrageous or tiresome? No, not really. Comments saying 'there are too many catholic comments' actually are the comments that people tire of."

---

Now, in the friendliest way of saying this possible I will conclude with this. I often tell people that if you are uncomfortable living in Utah, why would you stay? I don't mean it rudely, only in that I would leave boston if I hated it there. If people don't like an LDS themed paper, or the comments on here... no one should feel unwelcome here, but there is another paper in Utah much less friendly to the church. We choose what we read.

Whether comments or articles, don't like it? Read something else.

• A voice of Reason Salt Lake City, UT
    July 19, 2011 4:54 p.m.

My not voting for huntsman has nothing to do with his ability to appear 'more Mormon' or a lack thereof - My dismisal of him as a valid candidate to consider is purely because he promotes a specific level of 'Mormon ties' catered to each audience he addresses.

You either are, you aren't, or you can even call yourself a 'jack Mormon' if you really want... but to tell one group you are and one group you aren't. THAT is my problem.

I could care less how 'good of a Mormon' a candidate is. Romney has some very good things about him, and a few things I can't stand. Senator Hatch has a few things I really like but many things I don't. I look at everyone on a case by case basis and their religion isn't a factor.

There is a difference between voting on someone because their Mormon and voting on someone because they don't mind telling people their Mormon. The latter really has nothing to do with the religion at all, only honesty.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    July 19, 2011 4:51 p.m.

"Has anyone asked Huntsman if he is a member in good standing? Does he have a current recommend and does he attend the temple regularly? Does he pay a full tithing and fast offerings? Does he attend 75% of his meetings?"

Last I checked he was running for President, not running to be in the First Presidency.

• Razzle2 Bluffdale, UT
    July 19, 2011 4:45 p.m.

Someone here is judging Mormons by their temple and meeting attendance. I am afraid they have lost the true meaning of Christianity. ..Like the Nephites that prayed in the square and top of towers to show off their worthiness.
    Is he a good Mormon? ...Better to find out how often he raises his hand to do service for his fellow man.
    I did, and Huntsman is an example to me.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    July 19, 2011 4:25 p.m.

I hope people wouldn't vote for Huntsman because he's an "active" Mormon. As an "active" Mormon, I'd be voting for him because of his leadership.

Unless your his father, wife or his home teacher, Huntsman's worshipping is frankly none of your business.

Mitt Romney 2012!

• dumprake Washington, UT
    July 19, 2011 4:23 p.m.

It doesn't matter what Huntsman says, he lost the respect of the LDS community when he completely waffled and crumbled when asked about his religion a month ago. He's not a serious candidate for president anyway, he's only testing the waters.

• Brother Chuck Schroeder A Tropical Paradise USA, FL
    July 19, 2011 4:15 p.m.

Re: Tom in CA - 2:10 p.m. Vallejo, CA
    Bro Chuck: I want to know who got your vote.

Reply: I DO NOT VOTE for a person just because he is a Mormon. Here's a example The ONLY balanced budget the Utah GOP knows, is on the backs of the Elderly, the middle-class, poor, Veteran's, disabled, the sick and dying, and the homeless, not for BIG BUSINESS, and yes it is urgent that the debt ceiling be raised by this Friday. Numerous trillions of dollars in debt was caused by the GOP in 2008 that crashed America. To date, no one got cited for this fraud either. All they want to do is take order's off of the Koch brother's to rip apart Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid. Plus hide those deregulation loop-holes for the rich that filter their profits in off shore tax safe havens and pay "NO TAXES" at all. While the DN Utah RINO talked on AMTampaBay 970-WFLA, Sen. Mike Lee pushes his book "The Freedom Agenda"( that should-be-burnt)?. He could start by firing the Koch Brother's, and let Social Security alone for the Elderly. Stop breeding RINOs Utah.

• Anon 64 Oahu, HI
    July 19, 2011 3:58 p.m.

What on Earth makes you think that this man has a chance. John Huntsman is a Non Issue evan in the State Of Utah.

If John Huntsman is a True mormon the I just may be the Queen Of England.

Last time i checked people often do not Vote for Mormons simply because they are mormons, no other reason is needed.

Huntsman winning in Utah is like Obama winning in Hawaii. Non Issue does not matter.

• Independent Henderson, NV
    July 19, 2011 3:43 p.m.

I'm not seeing evidence in this article that matches the headline. Huntsman wasn't really standing by his religion so much as he was deflecting attention from it, saying that it's not an issue. I don't fault him for that at all. It's just that I don't see this as evidence that he is "standing by his religion."

• Jonathan Eddy Payson, UT
    July 19, 2011 3:31 p.m.

Here's how Americans REALLY vote:
    1. Who has the shiniest teeth?
    2. Who kisses the most babies?
    3. Who will make it their promise to give all Americans free housing, free health care, free retirement, free food, high paying jobs with no skills (only to those that see work as a virtue) and change we can believe in?

Obama and Romney could be neck and neck with Huntsman trailing a close third.

• Doug10 Roosevelt, UT
    July 19, 2011 3:25 p.m.

Wow lots of interest in a not so interesting article.

Point out everyone except Mitt is running for 2016..... Does tht mean Mitt is going to give up after this try?

Somebody wants an answer if they voted for Mitt or Obama...last I checked Mitt got trounced in the primary and you were not even allowed to vote for him when the crunch time came. Outside of Utah Mitt is tied with Sarah who is not running and is behind the Texas govenor who hasn't announced yet.

So far all of his millions he has pitched in and the many more millions he has raised are not doing so good for him.

On the other hand Huntsman has been running about 6 weeks versus the 24 months Mitt has had the bone around his neck. There is still plenty of time in the race which is bad for Mitt but good for Huntsman, Texas gov, and Sarah.

• awsomeron1 Oahu, HI
    July 19, 2011 3:21 p.m.

If he did stand by his faith, Abortion would be overwith in the US and unfunded every where else.

Go to the Church Web site and read the Offical Stand on Abortion and the actions that can happen for being on the other side of the issue.

I also agree with JL Fuller

• plyxply SLC, UT
    July 19, 2011 3:19 p.m.

I will be very happy when Huntsman bows out of the race, every time his name or face pops up I can only think of how he says one thing and does another. Par for the course with any politician I realize but he just rubs me the wrong way. Trust fund boy who used daddy's name and money to get into politics. He claims he's a Mormon when it's convienent, yet votes against Church principles in the most important issues where the Church has taken a stand.

• Richard Saunders Provo, UT
    July 19, 2011 3:14 p.m.

@Pagan | 1:45 p.m. July 19, 2011
    I would hope that no one calls you a Mormon hater for pointing that out.

To those who say this is a Mormon-owned paper I understand that. A few articles here and there (about Romney and Huntsman's religion) would be appropriate I think but there seems to be one nearly every single day! I appreciate that I have a paper that gives me the positive stories there are involving the church, but maybe they don't need to make them all about Romney or Huntsman.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    July 19, 2011 3:06 p.m.

'The paper is owned by the church and is writting to their audience.' - Bull | 2:36 p.m. July 19, 2011

I disagree.

This paper is catering to A audience.

Not a SPECIFIC audience.

Want to cater only to LDS members? That's fine, and perfectly within your rights.

But when you open yourself up to the general public...?

You make yourself open to the criticizm and opinions they have.

Want to avoid contnetion?

Only talk with people who agree with you. :)

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    July 19, 2011 2:41 p.m.

"Keep religion in your Churches and temples and OUT of the Whitehouse, the Courts, the Legislature, and any and all other public forums."

• Bull Layton, UT
    July 19, 2011 2:40 p.m.

Keep your Atheism out of my culture and way of life.

• Bull Layton, UT
    July 19, 2011 2:36 p.m.

'Is it just me, or does the Deseret News post more articles about the "Mormon" issue than anyone else? If we don't want others to make issue of a candidate's religion, then we should not either. Please, Deseret News, let's leave religion out of it, unless you are dead set of making Mormonism an issue in this campaign.' - Richard Saunders | 11:39 a.m. July 19, 2011

Of course they post more news on the Mormon issue! The paper is owned by the church and is writting to their audience. If you do not like it read a different paper. But for me, as part of their audience and a member of the church, I like the articles. I like to see how the world is viewing the LDS religion. In the poltical race they are going to talk about what is interesting and in this case, news outlets find the Mormon religion an interesting subject.

• The Atheist Provo, UT
    July 19, 2011 2:23 p.m.

Anyone who makes religion a part of their campaign automatically loses my vote. It is a blatant attempt to garner votes by appeal to religious affinity rather than substance and key issues. It is cowardice in the extreme.

• JLFuller Boise, ID
    July 19, 2011 2:22 p.m.

• Fishback Salt Lake City, Ut
    July 19, 2011 2:14 p.m.

Amazing - Judging by the comments here, the only region of the country with religious bigotry is right here in Utah! Mitt's drubbing of Jon among republicans has nothing to do with politics (look at their records) but everything about who's the "better Mormon."

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    July 19, 2011 2:10 p.m.

Bro Chuck:

When the vote boils down to Romney (The Mormon) v. Obama (The Muslim/Christian), I want to know who got your vote. Or, maybe you can say it now. And don't give a three paragraph response to this question.

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    July 19, 2011 2:07 p.m.

I appreciate the DN having articles that tell about Mormon people, it is my only place to stay connected to my roots. And religion does play a big part in things, look at the coverage of Obama and Rev Wright and also Obama and speculation of what religion he now practices. I would compare Huntsman to Obama in their religious apologetics.

• CHS 85 Sandy, UT
    July 19, 2011 2:05 p.m.

What religion was George Washington? How about Grover Cleveland, Andrew Jackson, Abraham Lincoln, William Taft, Ronald Reagan, James Madison, Millard Fillmore, etc. Who cares?

• Brother Chuck Schroeder A Tropical Paradise USA, FL
    July 19, 2011 1:48 p.m.

The surveys showed he's nothing more then a vote stealing poster boy to help flip flop Romney get elected. Republican presidential hopeful Jon Huntsman has just proved he can keep 1,100 graduating college kids awake for 17 minutes and even led them in a popular local cheer about kicking butt. But is the understated 51-year-old Jon Meade Huntsman Jr. really the answer to the Republican Party's personnel problem? He is, after all, a pro-civil-union Mormon who has just finished nearly two years of service for Obama in the land many Americans consider the new evil empire. He is pro-environment a little too green for many in his party and hardly anyone knows who he is. But Huntsman has a particularly difficult needle to thread on religion, in that he is a Mormon, which makes him suspect to a large segment of voters. Yet he is also a Mormon of a different, stripe, one who is not overly religious and draws inspiration from many religions and philosophies. He and his wife are raising an adopted daughter from India in her native Hindu religion, and another daughter was married in an Episcopal Church (heaven forfend!).

• So. Cal Reader Escondido, CA
    July 19, 2011 1:48 p.m.

Love it. "During a recent interview with The Washington Times, Mr. Huntsman checked off his accomplishments as Utah governor from 2005 to 2009." I reread to see if there was any mention of how small the State of Utah is, comparable to San Diego County (2.7M). But didn't see it. Accomplishments in such a small state, working with a republican-controlled state legislature. I'll take Mit accomplishments in Mass, dealing with a democratic-controlled state legislature, any time!

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    July 19, 2011 1:45 p.m.

I agree.

But if I say it, I'm a Mormon 'hater.'

• gramma b Orem, UT
    July 19, 2011 1:24 p.m.

What an unbelievably misleading headline. There is nothing in the article, or in the Washington Times article, that has Huntsman "standing by" his religion. His comments are just another attempt at deflection.

• A voice of Reason Salt Lake City, UT
    July 19, 2011 1:10 p.m.

Huntsman stood against the Church with energy sollutions.

Huntsman stood against the Church with a law that hurt a few charities.

Huntsman stood against the Church with his recent support of the LGBT cause.

Huntsman stood against the Church by 'distancing' himself for the campaign.

Huntsman stood with the Church when his 'distancing' became news.

--------------

That, my friends, is dishonesty in a campaign.

• Halospawn FARMINGTON, UT
    July 19, 2011 1:05 p.m.

No, Gov. Huntsman it really isn't about leadership when it comes to evangelical fundamentalists. You presume that they vote on a rational basis. However, there isn't an American alive who doesn't first do a gut-check before casting their ballot. You, or Mitt, may have my in 2012, not because of my doctorate in political science, but because you and he pass my gut-check. May the Lord bless the fundamentalists with tolerance and respect.

• skeptic Phoenix, AZ
    July 19, 2011 12:48 p.m.

Religion and god is what you make of your life, what you contribute to earth and mankind, there is no taking sides, just a sliding scale of good (god). Mathamatically it is not difficult to plot. I imagine that Mr. Huntsman is fairly high on the scale.

• Independent Henderson, NV
    July 19, 2011 12:48 p.m.

Everyone except Romney is really running for 2016 anyway.

• Brother Chuck Schroeder A Tropical Paradise USA, FL
    July 19, 2011 12:33 p.m.

typo repost

Then have Huntsman sign that Pledge then, if Jon Huntsman Jr. stands by his Mormon religion. Ban same sex marriage and also abortion, tee backs and Hip Hop/Rap and also rock and roll music, plus Harley's and the noise they make.

Till then.....

Top Ten Pieces of Wisdom From Mom

10 Paying taxes is for losers

9 Neighbor's stereo too loud? Cut his power lines

8 If you're going to vandalize the Ed Sullivan Theater, disable the security c ameras first

7 Whenever Regis calls, pretend your hearing aid is on the blink

6 If you catch a player's 3,000th hit, sell the ball and buy a Corvette

5 Always tip the dealer

4 No one cares how you feel

3 There's big money in black market cigarettes

2 Never bring a stun gun onboard an airplane

1 Tell your son his show is great, even if you prefer Leno, Kimmel, Stewart, Colbert, Conan, Fallon, Ferguson, and Lopez

Important: Do You Support Pres. Obama's Re-Election?

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    July 19, 2011 12:18 p.m.

Huntsman would be set up very well for 2016 if someone far right like Bachmann were to win the primary and then get trounced in the general.

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    July 19, 2011 12:02 p.m.

Bout time he acknowleged something about being Mormon, he was much too quiet about it before.

• American First Merced, CA
    July 19, 2011 11:52 a.m.

Too late...I'm not interested in Democrat light or Mormon light. ROMNEY 2012!

• Richard Saunders Provo, UT
    July 19, 2011 11:39 a.m.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    July 19, 2011 11:38 a.m.

Huntsman can run as a mormon because his faith is so hard to define...you can't be hung out to dry over what you can't explain...