Sports

BYU Cougars: BYUtv app a huge hit with Cougar fans

Comments

• Broom Hockey Champ Alpine, UT
    July 21, 2011 1:45 p.m.

I don't believe in moderation when it comes to BYU creamery attendance.

• vegassportsfan Las Vegas, NV
    July 20, 2011 6:28 p.m.

for those who care about the scriptures and moderation, found just one:
    Philippians 4:5
    Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand.

All could consider the advice. Maybe our conversations would be more respectful. I hope both schools do well and will cheer for mine when we play each other.

• BYUHOCKEY American Fork, UT
    July 20, 2011 7:41 a.m.

OUTstanding!!

• Broom Hockey Champ Alpine, UT
    July 19, 2011 5:01 p.m.

The other day, I was watching some of the legendary BYU moments on my iPad in the BYU creamery as I scarfed down some ice cream. It doesn't get much better than that.

• Alpine Blue Alpine, UT
    July 19, 2011 11:51 a.m.

Magnificent job Ryan et al at BYUtv. Thank you on behalf of all Cougar fans.

BTW, how soon before we can expect an Android ap?

• J1MMERED FARMINGTON, UT
    July 18, 2011 9:25 p.m.

@COUGARNATE
    well that wasnt a very nice comment CougarNate.......

• Indifferent SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    July 18, 2011 7:48 p.m.

It is true, BYU must create an amazing app to help fans re-experience the glory days.

• hoost Walnut Creek, CA
    July 18, 2011 10:58 a.m.

At first I was thinking "how about an app for streaming games live?" but on demand access to archived espn games almost immediately after the games are done being broadcast is pretty dang good.

• TheCrow American Fork, UT
    July 18, 2011 9:59 a.m.

I'm not sure what this article has to do with Utah football? Anyways, I love the app. It works great and looks great. This is better than anything offered by anyone in sports (including ESPN). Keep up the great work BYU!

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    July 18, 2011 9:24 a.m.

Looks like (for football) we'll have until October 22nd for the satellite companies to begin showing BYUtv in HD.

What is BYU itself doing on this?

• flynn is the coolest Salt Lake City, UT
    July 17, 2011 11:31 p.m.

What does Utah do for it's fans? Raises ticket prices and tuition costs! (despite projected hikes in FB revenue).

BYU? Creates a system to bring the games to fans for free!

'Yes, I love technology, but not as much as" BYU "you see. But I still love technology- Always and forever. Always and forever"

• BlueSaint South Jordan, UT
    July 17, 2011 9:54 p.m.

@Hank Pym

"moderation in all things"

I think you heard it from your Mom!

• Floyd Johnson Broken Arrow, OK
    July 17, 2011 9:38 p.m.

Hank Pym:
    (meden agan) was inscribed at the temple of Apollo at Delphi. It means "nothing in excess".

Aristotle wrote a book on the topic "Rhetoric" he attributes it to Chilo, an individual respected in ancient Greece.

Many people attribute it to the Bible. It isn't there. Twain references it as a joke "All things in moderation, including moderation." It sound very much like Franklin also.

I propose that from this point forward we just say that Hank said it.

• Brent T. Aurora CO Aurora, CO
    July 17, 2011 9:08 p.m.

Don't have an iPhone or an iPad (or, as someone mentioned an Android)... don't use iTunes or anything Apple.

• jimbobb Modesto, CA
    July 17, 2011 9:03 p.m.

It's all really good but seriously when is Dish and Direct TV going to start brodcasting in HD?

• aficionado Sandy, UT
    July 17, 2011 8:46 p.m.

the app also lets you watch all the other sports. this isn't just about football. reliving the jimmer season? I'd love to that. Watching the men's soccer games is pretty fun too. try it out. its great

• BlueSaint South Jordan, UT
    July 17, 2011 6:23 p.m.

I'll go to other BYU comment boards, and it is just overrun by Ute trolls! It's almost scary. I mean, don't the Utes have anything going on? These Utah trolls need something to excite them about their program. Seems nothing can help with that BYU addiction....Not even a PAC-10 invite!

• Laser Iowa City, IA
    July 17, 2011 3:39 p.m.

I've started watching the games on BYUtv is it fantastic.

Thanks for all your posts jealous ute fans! You can always gauge your impact by how your rivals react!

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    July 17, 2011 3:29 p.m.

re: BlueSaint | 11:59 p.m. July 16, 2011

I can't recall where I heard it, but "moderation in all things"

Has that piece of sage advice been discarded in the pursuit for notoriety & fame?

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    July 17, 2011 3:13 p.m.

@hedgehog

I think BlueSaint was referring to the fact that Colorado has garnered more interest from being in the PAC12 than Utah...not only do they have more games on TV than the U, but their big game against USC is on ESPN2, as opposed to the U's, which has been relegated to Versus.

Nobody outside of Salt Lake even cares that they're in the PAC12...heck, it seems like the PAC12 doesn't even care that U got in.

I wonder if anyone outside Utah will even know that the Utes are in the PAC 12 since they won't be able to see any of the games.

The PAC's treating U very well, eh?

U get invited to the "big boy" table and get put in the high chair while Colorado gets a seat and second helpings.

Ouch.

Go Cougars!

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    July 17, 2011 2:58 p.m.

@ I Still Can't Say It,

And yet, here you are, still saying it by showing your interest in all things BYU.

Pretty obvious BYU's quite relevant.

Thank you for your patronage.

• Honor Code Denver, Colorado
    July 17, 2011 2:42 p.m.

Does KOOLAID have a new app.?

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    July 17, 2011 2:40 p.m.

"All that going for the UTES, and somehow there's still lack of interest!"

blewsaint,

Says who? Your only source for information..Dnews? You live in a LDS vaccum.

• BlueSaint South Jordan, UT
    July 17, 2011 2:15 p.m.

@I Still Can't Say it

All that going for the UTES, and somehow there's still lack of interest!

• I Still Can't Say It Holladay, UT
    July 17, 2011 1:23 p.m.

The Utes get the PAC-12, BCS access, millions of new revenue, more prestige, better recruits, legendary coaches, etc...

The Team in Provo gets a new app.

Enjoy!

• gonefishn Salt Lake City, UT
    July 17, 2011 12:39 p.m.

The move to independance is far better than the MWC, I am very happy TRUE BYU football fans will have better access to their team. As for the "Ute haters" like cougar independendence, I guess ignorance is bliss? To all Ute haters, Larry Scott has stated several times every Ute Game will be televised but due to the fact it is the last year of the old contract the platform will not be determined until a week or two in advance to provide maximum flexiility to the TV partners. This is a one year situation and well worth the price of admission to the Pac 12 (not to mention the 30 million a year thats on its way). To say anything differant is immature and a purposeful attempt to cloud the truth.
    Fact is both teams are in better shape, why the constant comparison? Apples and oranges.

• utesovertide Salt Lake City, UT
    July 17, 2011 12:25 p.m.

BYU fans: this is a great thing you have going. Why do you need to celebrate ont these boards by trashing on the U?

If you're going to trash on your rival, at least get it right. This AM radio talk is stupid. Utah will be on TV this year, but Utah has to negotiate the deals for each home game. Away games are either controlled by Fox or piecemeal deals with other providers under contract with the home team (old Pac 10 system).

So it is expected to be a bit hectic. Our Pac 12 deal with Fox/ABC/ESPN doesn't start until next year.

The Pac 12 has been talking about making mobile apps that broadcast the Pac 12 games in partnership with Google or Apple. I'm glad to see BYU is going down this route, because it will prove to Larry Scott that mobile access will need to be a part of their plans.

• Craig Salt Lake City, UT
    July 17, 2011 12:24 p.m.

They will get much more people enjoying their site with an Android app.

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    July 17, 2011 11:06 a.m.

Cougarnate: I think troytown was teasing.

(DN wouldn't let this go through the first time because your name is all caps! Funny).

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    July 17, 2011 10:50 a.m.

re: TroyTown | 1:25 a.m. July 17, 2011

The Utes on ESPN? Isn't there something is byu's contract that should prohibit this?

re: COUGARNATE | 10:08 a.m. July 17, 2011

"I don't know about you but I'll take the watching any time over listening to a horrible radio announcer."

So, you don't care for Wrubell either?

Seriously, to quote comic book guy (Simpsons), "Most Obvious Headline ever"

• GACougar Atlanta, GA
    July 17, 2011 10:23 a.m.

Great app. Already one of my favorites on my iPad.

• COUGARNATE Lyman, WY
    July 17, 2011 10:08 a.m.

@troytown,
    "I don't see what the big deal is; Utah fans can download the ESPN 700 app and listen to Bill & Spence."
    Really? With BYUtv's new app you can "WATCH" past games and BYUtv. While u fans can "listen" to a horrible local radio show. I don't know about you but I'll take the watching any time over listening to a horrible radio announcer.

• Cougar_Independence OMAHA, NE
    July 17, 2011 10:07 a.m.

"But that tells you how people want to view their content. Our goal is to provide it on as many different platforms that we can reasonably support. We're just getting started."

This is a great quote from the article. BYU wants to provide video content to as many fans as possible on as many platforms as possible. Thank you BYU and thank you Tom Holmoe!

On the other hand, what radio station is Utah's first game on? What AM channel?

• WestGranger West Valley City, Utah
    July 17, 2011 3:15 a.m.

At the time, not as good as the PAC12, but much, much better than the MWC. Most importantly there is now freedom from the ridiculous limitations of the Mountain TV contract. BYU TV is unleashed! How long will Boise St. want to stay in MWC? My guess is that Utahns and BYU fans will be surprised that Utah is a contender right away.

• TroyTown Anaheim, CA
    July 17, 2011 1:25 a.m.

• BlueSaint South Jordan, UT
    July 16, 2011 11:59 p.m.

All BYU, All the time!.....Life is too good! Somebody pinch me?

• Chad S Derby, KS
    July 16, 2011 11:13 p.m.

Yes, this app is sweet. Very polished, perfectly functional, lots of archived games to watch. Free to download. I doesn't get any better!

• Cougar_Independence OMAHA, NE
    July 16, 2011 10:46 p.m.

10 games on ESPN for BYU this year.

1 game on ESPN for Utah (courtesy of BYU).

ESPN + BYU TV > bottom dweller of pac12.

ESPN proves, once again, what team from the state of Utah is relevant.