Opinion

Kathleen Parker: Thank you, Mitt and Jon, for rejecting the 'pledge'

Comments

• raybies Layton, UT
    July 19, 2011 4:23 p.m.

Mormons are accustomed to rejecting creeds by which others require to define one's values.

• Curmudgeon Salt Lake City, UT
    July 18, 2011 9:36 p.m.

The oath of office contains a pledge to uphold the Constitution. That is all that should be required of anyone seeking public office. Those who make extraneous pledges to special interest groups are needlessly tying their own hands for the sake of pandering to an extremist base, which will use the pledge as a bludgeon to keep the pledgees in line. The result is that the pledgees become beholden to a special interest group, which makes one wonder who is really in charge of leading the country, and whose freedom has been compromised.

What is even more galling is the implied threat from these fringe groups to blackball and defeat those who don't knuckle under, falsely imputing lack of commitment to one principle or another.

Bravo for the courage of every candidate who shuns pledges, and shame on those who succumb to the pressure, as well as those who apply such pressure.

• Herbal Tea Partier Kearns, UT
    July 18, 2011 7:39 p.m.

Well written, Ms. Parker. And good point that it would be superfluous for Romney and Huntsman to sign such a pledge as per their already membership in a religion of family fidelity.

• Darrel Eagle Mountain, UT
    July 18, 2011 11:59 a.m.

@Voice of Reason

I fail to see how a ban on same-sex marriage will help "those struggling with SSA, my own children, and myself."

Addicts will do what they do regardless of the law (homosexuality itself is not banned, only the marriage). I myself am not gay, and as such, the temptation to act as such is non existant (maybe I just like girls too much). As for my children, I cannot see it harming them anymore than alcohol. If I teach them right, then what they do is on their own conscience as an adult.

I failed to see "where soon children - my children if I lived there - will be indoctrinated with the lie that homosexuality harms no one" in the article posted the other day. All it said was that schools were to teach Gay history. To claim this is somehow indoctrination is like claiming teaching about 1930's Europe is an endorsement of Nazism. Not true.

• RanchHand Huntsville, UT
    July 18, 2011 9:08 a.m.

I don't always agree with you, Kathleen, but on this issue, we are in agreement.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    July 18, 2011 9:04 a.m.

The only pledge one should take is the peldge of alliegence.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    July 17, 2011 8:33 a.m.

Republicans need to get out of the bedroom and into the budget meeting.

• PressureDrop Provo, UT
    July 17, 2011 1:33 a.m.

Here, here! It's not surprising that Jon Huntsman rejected this pledge (as he does all others), but I was happy to hear that Mitt Romney also refused to kowtow to this group. Also not surprising is the fact that Michele Bachman DID sign it -- even before the controversial slavery portion was excised. After all, this is the woman who thinks it's a good idea to abolish the Environmental Protection Agency!

• The Taxman Los Angeles, CA
    July 17, 2011 1:00 a.m.

Couldn't agree with Kathleen Parker more. And I would put Grover Norquist's Pledge (that all Republican members of the House have signed) at the top of the list of dumb things to have signed.