Family

Times has a 'Mormon Moment' at Hill Cumorah Pageant

Comments

• DRay Roy, UT
    July 28, 2011 9:44 a.m.

In "the world" folks tend to like edgy, impure art and candidates for President, that is why Mormon's stand out, they are not conflicted, trying to have both goodness and badness at the same time.

• panamadesnews Lindon, UT
    July 27, 2011 8:20 p.m.

To Grace: How would you feel if you found out on judgment day that Joseph Smith was a prophet called of God and that the Book of Mormon really was hidden by the Prophet Moroni, son of Mormon, for whom the book is named, to come forth in the latter days, and was in truth another testament of Jesus Christ? I think you would feel exactly as Saul of Tarsus felt when he received a vision of the Lord Jesus Christ, who asked him, "Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me? It is hard for you to kick against the pricks". But then might it be too late for you to change your life, as Saul (Paul) did, since your earthly life at that point would be over. I offer that only as a question for you to ponder. I testify that Joseph Smith was (is) a prophet of God and all the revelations he received were from our Heavenly Father. He said once, "I never told you I was perfect, but all of the revelations I received are from God".

• awsomeron1 Oahu, HI
    July 15, 2011 5:01 p.m.

Huntman and Mitt, dualing Non Mormon, Non Issues. Claim the fame but have no real game.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    July 14, 2011 4:54 p.m.

OnlytheCross & Grace (probably the same person)

"My point is that even Muslims with their great heritage, millenia of persecution for having strange doctrines & practices, and telling the world that only they have the truth, could put on an impressive epic of their history, and Christians would still object to the message of their pageant, right?"

As long as they preach tolerance, love, and peace I would have no problem with a "Muslim production." It is when they preach "death to all Infidels" or "join Islam or die," that I would object. There is nothing in the LDS message at the pagent that is offensive or oppressive. It is uplifting and bears "good fruit." So, no, I really can't understand the hate and intolerance from many of the protestors. Are they really that insecure in their own religion that they have to go out of their way to try to discredit the Mormon faith with distortions and mistruths? I appreciate their right to protest, but just don't ask me to understand it. I just find it very curious.

• IJ Hyrum, Ut
    July 14, 2011 4:23 p.m.

When did Jesus ever protest anyone's beliefs. He simple taught the truth. If you object to me enough to protest, spend your time spreading your "truth" as Jesus did. It is a mean, Satan led, individual who wears away his life kicking against the pricks. Love the sinner - hate the sin.

• Grace Bakersfield, CA
    July 14, 2011 1:09 p.m.

Really, only in one church would folks donate this much? And "even if it's not true"- what a way to live?

Let me introduce you to the rest of the world. I've lived in fabulous communities whose divorce and suicide statistics don't come close to any of our states. I have Muslim friends who are horrified at the rampant immorality of our society and schools into which they have immigrated, fair Deseret included. My dear father could not believe that the Univ. of BYoung, where he had sent me from the California of the '70's, had to expell students for breaking the school code of conduct.

Having passed out literature at events where I object to the message, may I help some here understand that it's not the good communal lifestyle of the LDS that is being protested. It is simply Joseph's original message on the BoM Introduction page.

• OnlytheCross Bakersfield, CA
    July 14, 2011 12:13 p.m.

For another perspective to be shared here, (from another BYU Humanities major):
    There seems to be two opinions being expressed here. 1- The quality is great. No one has belittled the production value or dedication of the Pageant and its players. 2- But many have tied in extraneous analogies with their kudos of its quality. They have been upset that anyone would dare object to the pageant, but have given no information on why there is protesting.

While many religious productions can be fabulous, with great effort and expenditure involved, the message is the focus. I feel that point was missed in all the fuss about the protestors. What is their complaint? Why does the man come so far to object to the Pageant?

I think we can all agree that there are many devotees who give much of their time and $ to worshipping their beliefs. Consider the life-long sacrifice of Muslims, who actually risk their lives in just the Hajj (trek) to Mecca. But their sincere experience around their sacred Kaaba, Abraham's temple to God, cannot be equated with the truth of their claims.

I propose that you allow people to object to the message without offense.

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    July 14, 2011 11:00 a.m.

Thanks for the feedback Lone Star. Luckily, like WaybackCougar, I don't rely on pageants to increase my testimony.

Thanks to sixpacktr for reminding us what dedication it takes for the performers and the local church community to host such a production.

• CA. reader Rocklin, CA
    July 14, 2011 10:17 a.m.

Remember folks, there is no such thing as bad publicity. Thanks to all those who attempt to denigrate the Church overtly or covertly.

• WaybackCougar Salt Lake City, UT
    July 14, 2011 9:36 a.m.

The first time I saw the pageant I felt the same as Truthseeker. All my life I had heard how amazing it is. When I finally saw it, I felt it tried to do too much. While impressive in its portrayal of epic scenes, it lacked an interesting, coherent story. I felt much the same about the Manti pageant. I guess they're not for everybody but I'm glad there are some for whom they are a gateway to joining the Church.

Personally, I prefer to visit Palmyra when it isn't overrun with people and am fortunate to have had that opportunity several times. A quiet walk through the grove followed by contemplation in the Palmyra temple is better than a thousand pageants.

• sixpacktr Lancaster, NY
    July 14, 2011 7:41 a.m.

I was on assignment yesterday as it was one of our ward's days to act as security. Got to sit on top of the hill by the monument and look out over the landscape and watch people as they came up the hill to see the view and look at the monument. All I can say is that the look of happiness on everyone's face (and not some 'cult-like trance' happiness, but true happiness) on everyone's faces was very heartwarming. As my SS teacher said when I was a teen long long ago 'it is true, but even if it isn't, can you imagine a better way to live?'

I had the opportunity to speak to a cast member yesterday, from Indiana, who said that only in the church could you convince people to 1) spend their 2 week vacation in Western NY in a play, 2) have them work from 8:30 a.m. to 10 at night rehearsing, 3) have them pay all of their own expenses, 4) have them pick up and clean the chairs after the last performance and 5) have them consider themselves richly blessed!

What a church!

• Lone Star Cougar Plano, TX
    July 14, 2011 5:50 a.m.

Dear Truthseeker - go to the Nauvoo Pageant. It is live and extremely well done. The actors and production is truly top-notch. Then, please visit all the sites there and your testimony will increase. It truly is a wonderful place. By the way, you will see "the dogs yapping at the caravan" there too. But I feel sorry for them.

• The Caravan Moves On Enid, OK
    July 13, 2011 11:59 p.m.

Listen to your wife. Get back to where you belong, bub....

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    July 13, 2011 10:56 p.m.

Reading my great, great, great grandfather's journal the other day about when he came to the U.S. via New York, of course. He mentioned the names of various plays he attended in New York, including one called "The Mormons," which he enjoyed. So, really, history repeats itself.

I must say when attended the Palmyra Pageant 15+ yrs ago I was a little disappointed. I was expecting a live production, not a lip syncing act with no live dialog or singing. Guess my expectations exceeded reality. Is it the same with pageants elsewhere?

• LDSareChristians Anchorage, AK
    July 13, 2011 10:54 p.m.

I can't help but wonder if the Hill Cumorah Pageant would win a few Tony's of it's own, if only Hollywood would even consider a peek at the event!

• AZRods Maricopa, AZ
    July 13, 2011 8:04 p.m.

I took a friend who happens to be Catholic, to this year's Mesa AZ Easter Pageant.
    And when he ran across the street to get some water, he was confronted by a couple of these protesters. They were quickly silenced when he proceeded to explain to them that he was a guest of an LDS friend, and he was Catholic.
    And how disgusted he was to see someone claiming to be "true Christians" come to a beautiful non-denominational religious program (the story of the life of Christ) to spout off their ignorant and crude rhetoric.
    He told them he'd never seen such a thing done at any of his church's programs or activities! Yay to our Catholic friends!

• Two Cents Springville, Utah
    July 13, 2011 6:45 p.m.

My parents joined the church after seeing this pageant 50+ years ago. I'm glad the Times shone a little spotlight on this amazing, spiritual production. The antis will always be there protesting, but the spirit overpowers anything they come up with.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    July 13, 2011 6:42 p.m.

I wonder what the point of mentioning protestors is in articles like this. I think the New York Times would get a better picture by just ignoring them.

• SpringvilleEd SPRINGVILLE, UT
    July 13, 2011 6:10 p.m.

It is a miracle that the Hill Cumorah is LDS owned, with a grand story told of how that was accomplished. I can't help but thank the Prophet Joseph for Article of Faith 11: We claim the privilege of worshiping...dictates of our own conscience...allow all men the same...how where or what they may. The USA, only country in the world where we have this freedom so extensively. Thank you, Father in Heaven.

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    July 13, 2011 5:59 p.m.

Yes, he will miss here in the hereafter.

• Utah Native Farmington, UT
    July 13, 2011 5:45 p.m.

@Hitterite: Haha, pretty much the only thing this humanities major remembers from college geography is that the Hill Cumorah is a drumlin formed by glacial ice movement. But what a exceptional drumlin the Hill Cumorah is! Glad the pageant is getting so much publicity.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    July 13, 2011 5:22 p.m.

It's still just a drumlin.

• Californian#1@94131 San Francisco, CA
    July 13, 2011 4:42 p.m.

* ....one man who protests at the pageant every year despite the fact that his wife of 30 years is LDS. When asked how it is to leave her in Florida every year while he travels to Palmyra to protest the religion she loves, the man said: "'It's a heartbreak every day.'"

"'I tell her I'm going to miss her, and I love her,' he said. 'She says the same.'" *

Sounds like a marriage made in heaven. I wonder how these lovebirds found each other. It must have been interesting to be their kids.

• samhill Salt Lake City, UT
    July 13, 2011 4:16 p.m.

"....including one man who protests at the pageant every year despite the fact that his wife of 30 years is LDS. When asked how it is to leave her in Florida every year while he travels to Palmyra to protest the religion she loves, the man said: 'It's a heartbreak every day.'"
    ==========================

Hmmm. The question I'd ask is, "If your wife is LDS and ,presumably, believes all the stuff you're protesting in Palmyra, why not save yourself the pain of separation and the long trip every year and simply perform your protest in front of your wife?"

So many birds with one stone.

• cindyacre Shelley, ID
    July 13, 2011 4:00 p.m.

We were there (in New York) last Friday - the stage is as big as our yard (.5 acre)! Twelve hugh lighting/sound towers - 100's of cast and performers - the special effects were incredible, the message even more so. The two sweet older local-area ladies who sat next to us said they go to the Pageant every year - they thought it was just great. They wanted to know if Mormons still practiced polygamy! They loved the stories and the message.

The Lions and Rotary Clubs told us that they were so appreciative to the Church for allowing them to set up food stands (funds goes back to the Palmyra community). Mormon bashers were there, but most everyone just kind of chuckled at them.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    July 13, 2011 3:07 p.m.

It's one thing to dedicate your life or part of your life to proclaiming your religion. It is quite another thing altogether to dedicate your life or part of your life bashing someone else's particular religion. Mormons sometimes have their causes, but I seriously doubt you would see Mormons protesting and bashing at a Baptist convention.

• Laser Iowa City, IA
    July 13, 2011 2:59 p.m.

So this protester claims to break his wifes heart every year as he fights against the very thing she believes? This is either the most heartless man ever born or she is LDS by name only.

What's his religion? Maybe the wife should spend the same amount of time protesting his religion and yelling at members of his congregation. Evidently that would fit his definition of being a good christian.

• AZRods Maricopa, AZ
    July 13, 2011 2:55 p.m.

It would have been unimaginable to see this kind of attention and focus on the LDS church even 10 years ago.
    TWO members of the LDS church running for president of the United States...
    The New York times ongoing articles and attention focusing on the LDS church.
    Of course the sleazy play about the BofM has only stirred up interest from those wanting to get "the rest of the story".
    And ongoing publicity programs by the church like I'm a Mormon, which happens to have been timed perfectly with all the other publicity going on.

So to those who continue to proport that no one really knows or cares about the church outside of Utah, or that the LDS church is going to shrink and whither away from all of the outside pressure of society, guess what, we've dealt with pressure and exposure since day 1. And like they say, this isn't 1830 anymore and there aren't just 8 of us.

• ave guy Murray, Utah
    July 13, 2011 2:34 p.m.

It seems the Mormon religion is intent on lifting others up, sharing burdens, and teaching Christianity. How misguided can someone be who tries to make life better for someone else?