Sports

BYU's football media day will be broadcast live

Comments

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    July 12, 2011 10:14 p.m.

Papa Smurf Ute,

You are putting a LOT of words in my mouth. I never said I would prefer the Kraft bowl to a BCS bowl. I never said a BCS bowl was worthless. It would be nice to be in a BCS bowl game, and even better to win it. It's just that being in a BCS bowl is not the best standard of football success by which to compare yourself. Boise State did not make a BCS bowl last year, but they were at least as good as half the teams there.

In summary, a BCS bowl is a nice achievement, but the BCS itself is not all that great or fair in what they do. BCS bowl games would be much more meaningful if, instead of having mostly champions of AQ conferences plus a couple at-large bids, they just simply do the top 10.

I stand by what I say even if (or when, most likely) BYU goes to a bowl game. I don't agree with the BCS system as it is, and I certainly won't talk it up like it's the best thing. A BCS bowl win is always less than a national championship.

• cougarNV Las Vegas, NV
    July 12, 2011 8:42 p.m.

Howard S -

I second the reply of truecoug1- (I can't say it better)

"@Howard S. "Guess I'm just puzzled about how your comments and schadenfreude support the mission of your athletic program...
    "...to contribute to the mission of the LDS Church through the visibility of our positive example..."

You know, someone once said "Tolerance is the tool of the mischievous and the undoing of the weak."

The Church will tolerate criticism to a point before they make their stand.

I do, too.

I'm sorry that I bite back and that it offends you, Howard...but I'll only tolerate so much before I jump to the defense of my school.

I bleed blue, and I don't apologize for that :)"

I guess your smack is more to you than good fun :) It's just fun to me.

Go Cougars!

• MAFU Salt Lake City, UT
    July 12, 2011 3:43 p.m.

Did I miss TJ Fredette's performance at Media Day? I thought he was donning the argyle sweater one more time for another impromptu Rap concert that was going to be streamed live from the Jane Clayson Media Center.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    July 12, 2011 2:34 p.m.

Hedgie...
    Sorry guy I know just how lonesome you are out there on the edge of the Great Black Swamp...and even I am going to be leaving you behind you when I retire in Sept and return to Utah County. Oh and by the way. I won't have to watch all 10 BYU games on ESPN and possibly Oregon State as well. I have my season tickets for the home games.

There's a lot of trees out there in... around... and on the edge of the Great Black Swamp. There's always one falling somewhere so you take care little dude...and forage in the open.

• Dave S Holladay, UT
    July 12, 2011 2:01 p.m.

Re: Snack Pac & Veritus

Looks like I hit a sore spot for you two. Relax!! Maybe it's more like 50 of the 55 million households have no idea nor do they care that they have access to BYUtv. Does that make you two feel better?

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    July 12, 2011 1:27 p.m.

You know, someone once said "Tolerance is the tool of the mishchievous and the undoing of the weak."

The Church will tolerate criticism to a point before they make their stand.

I do, too.

I bleed blue, and I don't apologize for that :)

Go Cougars!

• Snack PAC Olympus Cove, Utah
    July 12, 2011 11:50 a.m.

Veritas Aequitas

Of course Dave S. has no data to back up his assertions. Why worry about facts when you can just make stuff up? Like the gazillions Utah is getting from the PAC 12, even though they have to raise student fees and ticket prices.

• IDC Boise, ID
    July 12, 2011 11:27 a.m.

I have to work today - stupid job. But my DVR is set for 3 hours of BYUtv today full of Cougar goodness. Now, where do I find 3 hours to watch tv. My throat is a little scratchy, maybe I can find 3 hours this Sunday.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    July 12, 2011 11:11 a.m.

Dave S | 10:42 a.m. July 12, 2011
    Holladay, UT
    "The article says BYUtv is available to 55 million homes yet 54 million homes probably have no clue they have this channel or have access to it or better yet don't even care."
    ===

Yeah, can you somehow back up that 54 million number?

Do you have names, or any evidence of what you posted?

Otherwise, why post something you clearly have no idea about?

• UoU 1991 Park City, UT
    July 12, 2011 11:09 a.m.

No question, BYU will surpass Utah in exposure this season; it won't even be close. BYU still has to deliver on the field, however, for all of that exposure to pay off.

• B C Park City, UT
    July 12, 2011 11:03 a.m.

@Dave S

BYU's backup broadcaster, BYUtv, is already online and available free in 55 million homes and available through online streaming worldwide.

Utah's main broadcaster, the PAC 12 network, is still in development, and will only be available by subscription.

• Ufan Salt Lake City, UT
    July 12, 2011 10:51 a.m.

Dave S

EVERY BYU opponent that plays on BYUtv will be introduced to BYUtv.

Like a small stone cut out of the mountain without hands rolling forth to fill the earth!

• Dave S Holladay, UT
    July 12, 2011 10:42 a.m.

• Bottom Line Draper, UT
    July 12, 2011 10:34 a.m.

Looks like Ute fans are glued to BYU TV....welcome aboard.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    July 12, 2011 10:33 a.m.

hedgehog
    "hmmm, So bronko says winning the "state" championship is most important...."

Actually, Bronco said his goal is to win the National Championship. I think you have a problem called selective listening where you hear what you want to hear.

10 games on ESPN, with the likelihood that Oregon State will likely be on it to, leading to 11 games. Add that to the bowl game and BYU will have 12 games on ESPN!

• LonestarRunner Salt Lake City, UT
    July 12, 2011 10:31 a.m.

BlueCoug

This is EXACTLY what BYU was hoping for when they decided to go independent. BYU hasn't played their first game as an independent and already independence is a HUGE success!

----

hedgy

No, Bronco didn't say winning the "state" championship is most important. He said winning the "state" championship is the first goal. He said the ultimate (translated "most important") is winning a NATIONAL championship.

It's nice to see that you're following BYU media day though.

• Old Gregg Alpine, UT
    July 12, 2011 10:30 a.m.

@ Hedgehog,

Thanks for watching and helping BYUtv's ratings. Like I said earlier, I knew you would be watching since you are BYU's biggest fan!

I thought the media day went well so far. Interesting to hear the BYU might have the tallest group of receivers in the country. Should make for some good entertainment.

• Papa Smurf UTE Herriman, UT
    July 12, 2011 10:13 a.m.

Riverton Coug,

When and IF the Y gets to a BCS game, you cannot talk or say anything about it, along with all the other little Y fans since the BCS games are so bad, & not prestigious. You guys all talk about having an easier road to a BCS game as an irrelevent, yet you bag on them every chance you get. So by all BYU fans own logic, making it to a BCS game, playing in one, & winning it means nothing. So you would rather play in the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl as a 7-5 team then huh? Sounds good. I will remember this IF the Y ever gets into a BCS game, then talks it up like it's the best thing ever. The key there is IF, which with only having a tough Sept every year, then a weak schedule after that. I agree that it should be national championship or bust, but only 2 teams every year can do that, & it's tough to go undefeated. A BCS game is the next best thing, & the Y still has never been to one. So dont talk down the BCS games when you have never been.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    July 12, 2011 10:09 a.m.

hmmm, So bronko says winning the "state" championship is most important....

Bwhaaattt??

Did bYu just move down to the High School level? As far as I know there is no "state" championship in college.

Funny, it sounds like Bronko just created his make believe conference.... might want to let Utah and Utah state in on it.

• Utehaterforlife Syracuse, UT
    July 12, 2011 10:07 a.m.

Thats right, BYU is on TV and Utah only has like 1 game on TV, I sure hope you have your tickets cuz that is the only way to see a game this year, unless you have espn, oh wait Utah doesn't.

• Starfarer Mesa, AZ
    July 12, 2011 10:04 a.m.

Howard S

What a laugh

@Howard S. "Are such displays of bitterness, envy, and schadenfreude consistent with the mission of the athletic program you support?"

Why is it when ute fans (and liberals for that matter) attack someone, who then defend themselves, they claim the moral high ground and say if we were true to our standards we wouldn't be defending ourselves?

I got news for you. You attack me, me school, my religion, my team, I'm coming at you with both barrels.

I adhere to the Porter Rockwell school of Mormonism. Stand tall, saw off the shot gun, and ask, "you want a piece of me?"

Ever heard of the stripping warriors?

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    July 12, 2011 9:51 a.m.

Dave Brown on television exposure, "BYU will be right in there with the SEC guys; when all of the stats come out, BYU will be right at the top of the heap."

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    July 12, 2011 9:34 a.m.

BYU continues to move up and away from the MWC. Remember, some of you, how you were boasting about your need to throw yourselves a PAC party and why wasn't BYU throwing an independence party. ESPN is throwing BYU a party today. Kind of like the one the TUN had on July 1st only with a few million more people.
    I wasn't going to mention it but since so many of you are already here...

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    July 12, 2011 9:23 a.m.

ESPN VP Dave Brown, "Our schedule was lacking because we didn't have BYU on. Now they'll be a big, big part of our lineup."

• Vegas Las Vegas, NV
    July 12, 2011 9:20 a.m.

Just watching the Media Day coverage and saw that 10 football games will be on ESPN! 10! Man, it's good to be a Cougar.

• TrueBlue Orem, UT
    July 12, 2011 9:16 a.m.

ESPN just announced that ESPN networks will be carrying TEN BYU games this season - seven games are already committed to ESPN channels!

• anti BCS Anaheim, CA
    July 12, 2011 9:04 a.m.

Tomahawk Red

BYU already won a national championship without the aid of a major conference.

BYU already won a Heisman Trophy without the aid of a major conference.

BYU already signed an exclusive 8-year contract with ESPN without the aid of a major conference.

It took LaVell 5 years to crack the Top 20, 8 years to win a bowl, and 12 years to win a national championship.

Bronco is already ahead of that schedule.

• Doctor J Manti, UT
    July 12, 2011 8:50 a.m.

NO MORE mtn!

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    July 12, 2011 8:03 a.m.

Tomahawk Red

Two very reasonable questions, reasonably asked. Thanks for visiting!

Some Utah fans, by definition Utah trolls, like saying someone who has never been out on a date with a girl will never go out on a date with a girl. So much fun to be had with that analogy, but I will leave it to my creative brethren on both ends of the Wasatch front to build on it.

"Why is it that every time one of these "BYU ESPN" articles comes out, Y fans bounce off the walls with excitement?"

BYU fans ARE excited! Something I don't seem to sense from the fans on the hill (although in fairness, because it requires a case of EXTREME boredom to drive me to the Ute articles, I really don't know). BYU fans don't go off the wall until the trolls show up on ESPN articles and, as with everything else Blue, try to explain it away into non-existence.

Finally, yes, you are oh so right. The NBC deal hasn't helped ND win more games, but they are still Notre Dame. You have to admit, things are changing for BYU, but correct, ultimately what matter happens on the field.

• PAC12Fan South Jordan, UT
    July 12, 2011 7:16 a.m.

Must be a slow day in sports for the world leader. Woman's billiards, pro bowling tour, skeet shooting and an Independent meeting. Big advertising dollar day. I'm excited! Will Larry Scott be in attendance?

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    July 12, 2011 7:10 a.m.

@truecoug1
    @cougarNV

"...we do not bash...but when we do, we win!"
    "...part of the fun.:)"
    *********

• CaliforniaCougar Lake Elsinore, CA
    July 12, 2011 4:54 a.m.

And why is going to the Pac 12 better?

I simply just want to see BYU on TV and this is by far greater than I could have imagined.

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    July 12, 2011 2:56 a.m.

Aren't you guys aware of the ESPN deal BYU signed? It's a foregone conclusion that BYU will be on ESPN... yet you keep acting like it's a surprise.

On the other hand, Utah does not have an ESPN deal. Therefore, we will not be on ESPN as much as BYU. The point of all this is, we get it. You're gonna be on ESPN more than us... the same way we're gonna be on Fox more than you.

However, this is not how they determine winners on the field. Just thought I'd let you know.

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    July 12, 2011 2:51 a.m.

Uteanymous

" Although membership in an AQ-conference would be nice, BYU doesn't need AQ conference membership to bust the BCS ceiling"

As evidenced by?

That's like saying someone who has never been out on a date with a girl doesn't need any help dating a girl.

The history says otherwise. And for BYU football to get to the BCS, they can use all the help they can get.

• Hegdehog Bountiful, UT
    July 12, 2011 12:00 a.m.

I must confess I'll be watching it on ESPN3.com tomorrow.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    July 11, 2011 11:46 p.m.

Howard S. | 9:44 p.m. July 11, 2011
    Taylorsville, UT

"The BCS is the biggest stage of college football..."
    ===

I thought the biggest stage of college football was having one game on Versus...

• cougarNV Las Vegas, NV
    July 11, 2011 11:41 p.m.

@ Howard 11:09

proverbially U can dish it out, but....

If these comments were being made on a U article by Cougar fans, that might not be consistent. But throwing back smack at those who sling it from their "bitterness, envy ..." is part of the fun. :)

U will have your future dictated to you by your new conference. The Cougars will have fun shaping their own future.

Go Cougars!

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    July 11, 2011 11:15 p.m.

Elder Bruce R. McConkie said: "Brethren, we do not bash, we do not bash, we do not bash...but when we do, we win!" So, in answer to your question...yup!

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    July 11, 2011 11:14 p.m.

Howard S. ---- Sarcasm detection Fail!

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    July 11, 2011 11:09 p.m.

@truecoug1

"...looks like the PAC 12 has your bib all ready for U."
    *************

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    July 11, 2011 11:03 p.m.

@hedgehog

Hey hedgie, remember how a while back you were raving about Travis Wilson being so much better than Tanner Mangum because ESPN had TW as the 36th best QB and Tanner as the 70th?

Just for fun, you should check out the ESPN recruiting home page tonight...guess who'll be staring right at ya?

Yup, Tanner Mangum, who is now a 4 star recruit and ranked as the 19th best QB in the nation, according to ESPN.

But Travis Wilson is still really tall, so U have that going for you :)

Go Cougars!

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    July 11, 2011 10:58 p.m.

@Howard S. "Utah has been invited to the BCS party. If they win in the PAC 12 there will be plenty of exposure."

Why does Utah have to win in the PAC 12 for it to get exposure? Those two BCS wins weren't enough?! That's so weird! I mean, Utah fans have been telling us Cougar fans since 2004 that BCS wins are the "end all, be all" of college football!

So why does Colorado, who is 34-49 since 2004, have more games on ESPN AND on TV this year than Utah?

Enjoy the high chair, Howard...looks like the PAC 12 has your bib all ready for U.

Go Cougars!

• BYU/RSL Fan Provo, UT
    July 11, 2011 10:51 p.m.

If hedgehog comments on a BYU article, is he still a jealous troll and a dummy?

If Howard S. trolls on a BYU article, is he showing is little brother syndrome?

Funny, the hicks on the hill keep saying that BYU has no national following or national brand. Yet those at ESPN who have been involved with and covering BYU's independence and ESPN partnership have kept saying that it is a feasible and beneficial move by both parties because of BYU's brand and national following.

ESPN knows that BYU has a HUGE national following that will be tuning in. ESPN also knows that pathetic sissies like hedgehog and Howard S. (aka The Haters or Little Brothers,) will also be tuning in, not only in hopes of seeing a BYU loss (good luck with that,) but also because the Utes are nowhere to be found on national TV this season.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    July 11, 2011 10:47 p.m.

@little howie

"Does BYU with their national brand-lite expect to do better in independence than Notre Dame?"

Yep, in due time and sooner than U think and definitely before the Utes.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    July 11, 2011 10:46 p.m.

@TrollPolice

Acceptance?

Utah has been invited to the BCS party. If they win in the PAC 12 there will be plenty of exposure. If they lose they will still collect a $30 million check for being at the party.

If BYU loses, they will quickly become invisible and irrelevant collecting a pittance from the self proclaimed world wide leader.

BYU seems to be trying a little to hard to simultaneously show that they belong at the BCS party while pretending that they don't mind at all being left out.

• Jeff29 Cedar City, UT
    July 11, 2011 10:45 p.m.

More people will see BYU's media day than will see Utah's season opener.

• riddlemethis Clearfield, UT
    July 11, 2011 10:42 p.m.

Howard S. | 9:44 p.m. July 11, 2011
    Taylorsville, UT
    @Riverton Cougar

"It can't get any better than the BCS!
    ********

Right you are...

-----
    Kind of like how you're craving approval and acceptance with your multiple posts on a BYU article?

• TrollPolice Salt Lake City, UT
    July 11, 2011 9:56 p.m.

Howard S.

Approval and acceptance are obviously in short supply up on the hill -- see ABC/ESPN PAC 12 schedule for 2011.

Fortunately for U, a team that really does have national approval and acceptance was kind enough to throw you a bone.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    July 11, 2011 9:44 p.m.

@Riverton Cougar

"It can't get any better than the BCS!
    ********

Right you are...

The BCS is the biggest stage of college football... that's why BYU desperately craves BCS approval and acceptance.

• Swoop Salt Lake City, UT
    July 11, 2011 9:34 p.m.

UU32

ESPN 3 - BYU Football Media Day: Legends Roundtable Panel - Tue, Jul 12, 03:00 PM

It's easy to think of MANY former BYU football players who would fit into a BYU Legends Roundtable discussion.

But who would Utah invite to a Utah Legends Roundtable discussion since Utah doesn't have a single player who's ever won a national individual award and there isn't a single Utah player in the National College Football Hall of Fame?

The vast difference between a legacy program and a program that's only had a couple of great seasons.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    July 11, 2011 9:29 p.m.

The BCS is so prestigious! Every year 10 teams get to play in one of these coveted bowls. Not 2, but 10! And not necessarily the top 10... sometimes even unranked teams get in while top 10 teams are left out. But that doesn't hurt its prestige at all! After all, a team in a BCS conference with 4 losses is WAY better and more exciting to watch than a Boise State team that lost only one game by 3 points in overtime to an almost-undefeated team! I mean com'on guys! It can't get any better than the BCS!

• deductive reasoning Arlington, VA
    July 11, 2011 9:22 p.m.

UU32

"Article about media day turns into a bashfest between Utah trolls and BYU trolls."

The media day is strictly for BYU. It has absolutely nothing to do with Utah, how except for Utah being one of BYU's opponents.

So please explain how a BYU fan "trolls" an article about BYU's football media day.

Second, why are Utah fans, who have supposedly "moved on," still trolling BYU football articles?

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    July 11, 2011 9:09 p.m.

So predictable. Article about media day turns into a bashfest between Utah trolls and BYU trolls.

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    July 11, 2011 8:57 p.m.

@ Howard S.,

Sure. Why not?

Lately (BCS era), ND's football prowess has waned (lots of reasons, most having to do with coaching), while BYU's has risen, especially since Bronco took over the helm.

Long-term history is fun to look at and beat your chest about. ND fans can do that. And should. It's deserved.

However, recent history is more of an indicator of what's to come. BYU's past several years shows it'll be more competitive over the next few years than ND.

Recent history is kinda why Utah's going to have a rude awakening in its first year in the Pac-12. Its recent history shows that it can't win on the road against Pac-10 teams.

BTW, NO BYU supporter, including BYU staff, believe BYU's cache is up to par with ND's. We respect their history.

We're just going to go about making our own during OUR independence!

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    July 11, 2011 8:41 p.m.

National brand?

What good is it if it can't get you to the big stage of college football... you know... the BCS?

Notre dame is a national brand. Notre Dame has a legacy that makes the BYU mini-legacy pale in comparison.

With all that branding and legacy Notre Dame has a mediocre 58% winning percentage in the BCS era.

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    July 11, 2011 8:38 p.m.

Correction; meant to say "... in the top 10 or even 15 (BCS rankings range)."

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    July 11, 2011 8:35 p.m.

BYU's chances of getting a BCS bowl, even a championship shot, are better than Utah's over the next half decade or so because the Utes are in an AQ conference and BYU is independent.

Don't understand? Here:

> Utah has to deal with the likes of USC and Oregon to get there. EVERY year. Little chance they'll get past two or more schools of that caliber in any given year. The SAME BCS teams will confound Utah's chances every year.

And, Utah's road record vs Pac-10 schools over the last two decades is dismal. That won't change any time soon.

> BYU will have enough BCS teams on its schedule every year to create a high enough SOS to attain a BCS bowl birth if they are either undefeated or one loss (it being vs another top 10 team).

And, BYU can get into a national championship game in this time span by winning out AND having that year include beating one or more BCS teams that also finish in the top 10-15 (BCS rankings range).

It's more plausible for BYU to get to a BCS bowl sooner, because BYU doesn't have to face the same yearly demons.

• MichiganCoog Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 11, 2011 8:28 p.m.

Utes--Big brother wanna-bees, but still the little bro after joining the PAC10.2:

--> ...it'll be 100 years from now when Utah wins its' first Rose Bowl...

--> ...Going forward, however, Utah's football program will look back to 2004 and 2008 as the only 2 significant years in their football history, and wished they could have back their glory days of the MWC, when they could reach the 10 win plateau once again...and defeat anyone in their league. But wait, even during their 7 years of glory (that abruptly ended after their 2010 season) they still managed to lose to everyone of the bottom feeders of the MWC brothers, especially that 0-27 debacle against a 2-10 UNLV squad in 2007...

--> ...until the day that Utah surpasses a 7-6 record in the PAC10.2, they will continue to fight to remain out of the basement of the PAC10.2 with their basement buddies WSU and/or Colorado...It will become the norm for Utah Football for years to come...

• Uteanymous Salt Lake City, Utah
    July 11, 2011 8:20 p.m.

Cougars -- Utah's Best Big Brother

--> You do realize, don't you, that USC is the only PAC 12 team that has ever won a concensus national championships (#1 in both polls)?

--> BYU's move to independence only seems "panicky" to Utah fans who are scared to death that BYU's move to independence has the potential to overshadow Utah's move to the PAC 12 -- we've already seen that with television scheduling

--> Although membership in an AQ-conference would be nice, BYU doesn't need AQ conference membership to bust the BCS ceiling

--> The ceiling does exist for Utah, even though Utah fans are too blind to see it -- no PAC 12 team is going to get a BCS championship game invite if two teams from the SEC, Big Ten, or Big 12 are undefeated; even mighty USC, ranked #1 in both polls, was shut out of a BCS championship game; Oregon, in 2010, is the only PAC 12 team besides USC ever to play in a BCS championship game, and only then because there was only one undefeated team from the SEC, Big Ten, and Big 12

• Cougars --Best Little Brothers Irvine, CA
    July 11, 2011 7:36 p.m.

-->...It will be getting more exposure and TV revenue than ever...
    However, as long as the current BCS structure remains in place, the best way to reach the BCS and/or the national championship is to play in an AQ conference, which gives Utah a significant edge, even disregarding the fat Pac-12 paycheck...

-->...Going forward, however, Whittingham has a slightly more established staff, highlighted by new offensive coordinator Norm Chow (whose predecessor, Dave Schramm, had plenty of good years and remains on staff). Mendenhall, on the other hand, shook up nearly all his key staff during and after last year's 7-6 disappointment, anointing himself defensive coordinator and promoting quarterbacks coach Brandon Doman to offensive coordinator. The moves seemed a bit panicky...

-->...until the day BYU either gains AQ-conference affiliation or the sport's postseason model undergoes a radical restructuring, it will always face a ceiling that no longer besets Utah...

• Christy B Salt Lake City, Utah
    July 11, 2011 7:35 p.m.

*raises both hands*

• Independence Is Bliss San Jose, CA
    July 11, 2011 7:29 p.m.

Raise your hand if you will be streaming this all day at work tomorrow.

Hedgy? Christy B? It's okay to admit it.

• cougarNV Las Vegas, NV
    July 11, 2011 5:41 p.m.

For those who care,...

I was in the store today where they were showing football highlights on all their big screen TVs. I got the football bug bigtime! When I got home I decided to watch the New Mexico Bowl which I recorded but had never watched.

After watching Heaps and Van Noy and Quezada & Hoffman & Co, and hearing of the positives of the changes at coaches and attitudes, I AM STOKED for the coming College Football season!!!!!

Go Cougars!!!!!!

I know when Ground Hog Day is, but when is Hedge Hog Day?

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    July 11, 2011 5:39 p.m.

@Hedgie

If a tree falls....yada yada yada.......

Utah still won't be a National School with a National Brand, enough to merit 7 ESPN broadcasts, so far, as BYU already is doing.

Utah is a nice Regional Commuter School, without the College Town experience.

Salt Lake Mayor just proposed a Sister City agreement with Pullman Washington.

What's up with that?

• In Stitches Provo, Utah
    July 11, 2011 5:14 p.m.

riddlemethis | 4:16 p.m. July 11, 2011
    Clearfield, UT

That was Awesome!!!!

• Striker Omaha, NE
    July 11, 2011 5:04 p.m.

Just for fun, I went to ESPN3 to check it out and BYU is all they are covering tomorrow! They are the top two featured events coming up! This ESPN deal is as sweet as it gets!

• sports-junkie West Jordan, UT
    July 11, 2011 4:25 p.m.

Christmas in July, fellas!

• Striker Omaha, NE
    July 11, 2011 4:19 p.m.

As they say "if a tree falls in the forest...."

I'll finish that. "If a tree falls in the forest, it may fall at the bottom of the u on the hill, forcing true fans of their school who don't spend all their time bashing others to paint it white to create a new letter on that little hill." Granted, it won't look like the true Y on the mountain, but SLC needs one of those too for true fans in that area. Thanks for being a fan of the big Y!

I have a break from school and working, so I plan to watch all morning on BYUTV!

• Doctor J Manti, UT
    July 11, 2011 4:18 p.m.

Awesome!

• Farid @ Pocatello Pocatello, ID
    July 11, 2011 4:17 p.m.

I can't begin to describe my feelings as Media Day is almost upon us. Twenty-five years ago, I lived in Palm Beach Florida and this was the totality of the BYU coverage I was able to find (Palm Beach Post): "Robbie Bosco threw for 317 yards and two touchdowns as number-seventeen BYU beat Wyoming 33-10."

That was it.

Today, Saints around the world will be as close to the Cougar athletic program as those living in Provo. We'll be able to watch football in March and basketball in July. And hopefully, Cougar baseball will be televised often and it can become as important as the football and basketball programs.

Special times, these are. Special times .....

• riddlemethis Clearfield, UT
    July 11, 2011 4:16 p.m.

hedgehog | 3:43 p.m. July 11, 2011
    Ann Arbor, MI
    As they say "if a tree falls in the forest...."

If the DNEWS writes a BYU article and hh doesn't troll it, was the article actually written?

• Laser Iowa City, IA
    July 11, 2011 4:12 p.m.

Hedgie what happen if a tree falls on ESPN?

I know you'll be watching tommorow to find out. You can resist...you are becoming a cougar fan...

• Broom Hockey Champ Alpine, UT
    July 11, 2011 4:05 p.m.

This is historic. I know I will be watching. I want to see how it differs from WAC and MWC media days. I want to see if they discuss the broadcasts at all (i.e. who will be the broadcasters? Will advertising be like other programs on BYUtv?, etc.)

To be fair, the article said that only portions of the event will be covered on ESPN, but I'm going to be huddled around my TV/computer catching all that I can while enjoying a frozen treat from the BYU creamery.

• Laser Iowa City, IA
    July 11, 2011 4:03 p.m.

This is going to be fun. A lot of work tommorow is not going to get done!

• Old Gregg Alpine, UT
    July 11, 2011 4:01 p.m.

Obviously you heard hedgie....and responded very first. And I bet you'll be watching too being that it is on national TV.

I'm glad BYU is doing using their resources for this media day. Should be fun to hear from everyone.

• Starfarer Mesa, AZ
    July 11, 2011 3:55 p.m.

As they say "some village is searching for..."

As they say "when you live in glass houses..."

As they say "when you have to prove your better than someone else..."

As they say "but we have 2 BCS wins..."

As they say "we're better than you..."

As they say "but, but, but..."

As I always say "I would still rather be a cougar, that to be u..."

• Cougars - Wise Older Brothers Anaheim, CA
    July 11, 2011 3:52 p.m.

As they say "if a tree falls in the forest...."

make sure you're not a hedgehog standing under it!

BYU's media day is being covered by ESPN and BYUtv. Any BYU fan in the world will be able to watch it live or via replay.

Will Utah's fans have that kind of access to Utah's media minute?

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    July 11, 2011 3:43 p.m.

As they say "if a tree falls in the forest...."