Sports

Utah Jazz: 5 questions with Jeff Hornacek

Comments

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    July 29, 2011 6:37 p.m.

has anyone realized how seriously good our team is going to be in the next few years?....its scary for me...the potential this team has...all they need is to put in the effort...i hope...the guys...come to a local gym...and work out...do some usual practice runs that they do during the season...work on the same plays...they were working on....if they did that...and then the season comes in...our Team would shock the NBA...they dont need to have a superstar...all they have to do...is play team basketball...every move should be...and must be...made..thinking it would help the team...we've got arguably the most solid front court....and if...our 6'6 rookie...agrees to play the point...and imporoves on it...we would have one hell of a core...it may sound far fetched for most...but i can see this team...win a championship...Let's Go JAZZ...

• ed Los Olivos, CA
    July 18, 2011 7:23 p.m.

Thanks amgolfer. Good advice.

• Dr Truth SLC, ut
    July 18, 2011 5:53 p.m.

I think Horny knows a thing or two about shooting. Horny on CJ Miles....he shoots off balance to much and he doesn't shoot it the same way every time. When CJ gets in trouble on his shot it looks more like he's throwing it than shooting it. Watch Dirk, he practices his off balance shots over and over again. If CJ did that more, then he might make a few more of those sling shots he does at times.

Watch Hayward, he practices shooting in balance and with the same consistent form. Jeff can give you the techniques, you have to practice and work at it to get better.

What did Jeff say, not all of the young players listen.....makes you wonder how come CJ hasn't improved his shot selection and technique....

• amgolfer Malibu, CA
    July 18, 2011 3:29 p.m.

Horny is doing a great job.

It's interesting how Douglas makes the first ignorant comment and then several land blast him and he doesn't even defend himself????....hmmmmmm, go figure. It's all about character and some seriously lack it, unfortunately. This should say a lot folks. So, please, and I mean please, ignore his utter nonsense. He obviously knows zero about the game of basketball. I have commented on this before regarding his cynical and pessimistic ways.

I like the Jazz's future. Horny will con't to help the team.

Thx for all your support Jazz fans....Let's hope we can resolve the labor dispute soon so we can see what we have and check out our new additions. Go Jazz....

• ed Los Olivos, CA
    July 17, 2011 3:53 p.m.

CJ is a second round draft pick that has lasted six years.....way more than most. He is productive and does not cost a lot. I am not sure why everyone wants so much from him. We should be happy that a second-rounder can play. Mathews? He was once in a lifetime. Nobody should have to get compared to him.

• Willard Mesquite, NV
    July 16, 2011 11:15 a.m.

I think the main ingredient for improvement, if the talent is there, is the desire to do whatever necessary to get better. Do you remember back in the day when Stockton and Malone were among the few that worked out over the summer. Do you remember when prevailing thought was lifting weights interfeared with a basketball player's technique. I wish more players had the work ethic of Malone and Stockton. Do you remember Malone calling out "Tag" on his "work ethic." If players wanted it as bad as Stockton and Malone did, we would have more players like them. So in summary, the desire to get better accompanied by hard work is probably the main ingredient for most to improve. I don't think you can teach desire.

• JFFR Salt Lake City, UT
    July 15, 2011 8:14 a.m.

Thats the thing with CJ Miles. I'm pretty sure he thinks he's Kevin Durant, Dwayne Wade, Kobe Bryant etc.

No actually. He thinks he's CJ MILES. His first 4 years he had no confidence all of a sudden he has WAY too much.

Paul Millsap is on fire versus the Heat? "Thats okay, because I'm CJ Miles. I'll jack up the last shot!" "Sundiata Gaines hit the game winner? I'm not that excited cuz it should have been me! I'm CJ MILES!" (Go watch the YouTube videos, you'll see what I'm saying. P.S. Atleast we have YouTube... the league can't take taht away from us)

Unfortunately, I think Paul Millsap needs to realize the same thing. I LOVE the guy, but I don't think he's an All-star. He might be better off coming off the bench, but I don't think he wants that role.

P.S. Careful with your CJ Miles YouTube highlights!

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    July 14, 2011 7:34 p.m.

@JFFR

i agree that he could be a solid 12-15 pt a night guy...he would probably have a big game here and there...but...noting his lone 41 pt effort...im not sure it would be a regular thing...i think...for him to be successful...he needs to embrace the 6th man role...i think he would have an advantage playing against second stringers...i just hope that there would be a season...so that he could prove his worth...im not praising him or anything...its just that...CJ should know that he wouldnt be an all-star...because he really isnt the best guy out there...he is an option...but he isnt the best...and he should accept that...move forward...and do his best on his role...kinda like grant hill embracing a lesser role....he became more effective...

• JFFR Salt Lake City, UT
    July 14, 2011 8:32 a.m.

Kirilenko should start over CJ. But CJ is a solid 3rd or 4th option on offense. When the lineup was Watson-Hayward-CJ-Millsap-Elson, he and Millsap shouldered the scoring responsibility. That forced CJ to take a lot of unwise shots (Hayward will now take some of that responsibility, which will help.) When you talk about forced unwise shots plus the occasional "CJ Miles thinks he's Kevin Durant" moment...it adds up to pretty sloppy stuff.

Put CJ Miles in the right role and I think he can be a 15+ points a night guy. With the occasional 30pt game (he scored 41 pts when he was 23 years old...) But I'm always way too optimistic when it comes to CJ.

CJ probably should have gone to college. There was a great article on ESPN a year ago about the jump from high school to NBA for him. He never had to use picks in high school, he could always just beat everyone he played against. All of a sudden he wasn't the best, thats a huge adjustment. He didn't know how to set screens or use screens.

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    July 14, 2011 1:27 a.m.

@JFFR

really? a starter...i'd choose Hayward overhim if its just potential...but i agree that he may be a solid player...but i'd rather have him off the bench...especially with the lineup we have now...and what we could have in the next draft...CJ may flourish in other teams...and if he wants to be effective and help the team play...he should have improved his shot selection...6 years...same bad decisions...although he is slowly and steady improving...it might take him at least 2-3 more years to become a consistent player...he'll probably end up like John Salmons....CJ should have went to college...and he could have been a much complete and better player than he is right now...

• Jazz Cop San Francisco, CA
    July 13, 2011 11:45 a.m.

How do you do it? Live in Phx, Az.; work as a coach for the Jazz; and have your children in school in different places? You seem to be doing a really good job, but it seems like allot for one person to handle. Some might say you are just doing a good job managing things, but if all you were doing was managing things then why would you stretch yourself so thin. Wouldn't it just be easier to focus on one aspect of your life, then be passionate about the spectrum of your life that focuses yourself as a person?

• JFFR Salt Lake City, UT
    July 13, 2011 8:47 a.m.

@Kakashi- when did I claim CJ was something special? I just said he works hard.

I think he is a solid role player. Personally, I think he's better off in the starting lineup. He's a great option if he's the 3rd or 4th option in the offense. When he came off the bench and was the 1st or 2nd option, he struggled.

Sure he has 6 years in the league, but lets remember he didn't get too many minutes back when he was 18 and 19 years old. He's the same age as Wesley Matthews and in the same ball park in quality he brings to a team (Wesley is a little bit better right now, but I still think CJ has more potential. CJ when he's 27 will be better than Wesley when he is 27.)

For 4 years I've been waiting on a "CJ Miles breakout year" Well, I've stopped believe in breakout years. Players don't breakout, but they can improve their game. CJ's not gonna be an all-star next year, but I think he'll continue to improve and be a solid player.

• Anonigma Murray, UT
    July 12, 2011 3:25 p.m.

@Captain L:

I just follow CJ on twitter, I don't really know him and he usually only responds to people he knows.

• Noodlekaboodle Salt Lake City, UT
    July 12, 2011 10:12 a.m.

@ Rockon,
    In the NHL when they lost a season they took the combined win-loss record of the previous 3 seasons and weighted the odds for the draft order based on those numbers. I would imagine the NBA would do something to that affect.

• ADMan NANUET, NY
    July 11, 2011 10:28 p.m.

I would love to see the Jazz bring in Dantley to fill that last coaching spot.He could help these young players develop a lost post game...NOONE did it any better !!!

• B Russ Ephraim, UT
    July 11, 2011 5:24 p.m.

@ Ed
    Doug has a player that he is very fond of and I recall him making numerous posts about his admiration for this player. I am fairly certain it is Carlos Boozer that Doug really likes.

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    July 11, 2011 5:10 p.m.

@JFFR
    lets face it...CJ had 6 years is more than enough to prove himself...let's not waste our time...he wont be an all-star...he wont be a clutch performer...he is simply a role player....decent but erratic...and that's just about it...6 years playing pro-ball and still have mediocre numbers?...come on...i know he is young...but im no longer expecting much of him...i'd rather see Hayward get the ball rather than CJ...at least Hayward knows when to shoot and when to pass...and is and would be a great playmaker for our team...CJ should be happy...and should just accept the backup role...he should just know his role...and dont jack up too many ill-advised threes...

• ed Los Olivos, CA
    July 11, 2011 3:24 p.m.

Doug10
    Just curious. You don't like the owners, the front office, the coaches, or any of the players. What is it, as a Jazz fan, that you like?

• JFFR Salt Lake City, UT
    July 11, 2011 1:42 p.m.

CJ Miles was interviewed on 1320 KFAN right after they extended his contract. He was asked about his work out regimine. He said he's preparing himself to be able to run the floor all night long while maintaining his strength. CJ has never had a problem of coming into training camp out of shape (if he had, Sloan would have called him out and I would have rememebered) CJ is busting his tail off this summer as he has for the past 5 years. He eats, drinks and sleeps basketball.

He is a hard worker, fans just like to speculate. He doesn't looked as ripped as other NBA players, but that is his body type.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    July 11, 2011 12:31 p.m.

Anonigma: If you can communicate with CJ via twitter, ask him what kind of workout routine he has and suggest that if he wants to be as good as a Kobe or a Ray Allen, he should find out (in detail) what their pre game and off season workouts are like and copy it.

• JFFR Salt Lake City, UT
    July 11, 2011 8:42 a.m.

@Doug10- Since Hornacek came on as shooting coach Kyle Korver set an NBA record for 3pt % in a season (Yes its true that Kyle Korver was already a good shooter, but Hornacek did work with him and made him better) Wesley Matthews became a solid 3pt shooter, Paul Millsap starting nailing threes, Gordon Hayward went from 29% at the college 3pt line to 47% at NBA.

I think the man knows what he is doing.

• Doctor J Manti, UT
    July 11, 2011 6:57 a.m.

cj...next year he will break out...we'veeen hearing this for 6 years...he seems to like to drive...right to the drive thru at McDonalds

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    July 11, 2011 5:57 a.m.

@Maverick

he does have a good jump shot during practice...but in game...he is terrible...maybe if he lessen the on the move jumpshots...where in instead of straight up jump...he jumps going to the sideways...those shots...he misses...but if he sets his foot...its a done deal...but...practice and in-game scenarios are different...in game...he would have chucked 5 ill-advised shots all misses...and 5 more decent shots...going 3/5...if he really is that good...how come it took him 6 years to improve into a mediocre player?...wake up...if he wasnt lazy...last year should have been his break out year...but he never took the chance...but he is a good pickup...since he is cheap...

• scalman Temecula, CA
    July 11, 2011 5:49 a.m.

Comforting, I think, that Hornacek believes that Burks has the "shooters eye". Waiting to see both Burks and Kanter hitting those 15 foot jumpers, besides all the other things they do.
    @Kakashi...plz consider dropping your Ostertag/Fes comparisons. It's a valid comparison so far in Fes's career as far as free throw percentage and work ethic, but I saw Ostertag play a LOT and he was far short of Fes in all-around skill level. Ostertag was an excellent shot-blocker some of the time. That is the only thing he did better than Fes.

• Anonigma Murray, UT
    July 11, 2011 12:34 a.m.

I'm not really sure about Miles' off-season routine. I started following him on twitter and I can't understand a word he says.
    Derrick Favors has an awesome work routine based off his twitter....I'm really glad the Jazz have him.

• Maverick West Jordan, UT
    July 10, 2011 9:27 p.m.

Miles has been working out with Ray Rice (Baltimore RB), so you are all wrong if you think he doesn't have an off-season routine. Why do you say he is lazy? Remember when he came into the league he was a stick, he's added a lot of muscle which has help his ability to drive to the basket. Sorry to break it to you, but Miles has probably the best jump shot on the team, next to Harris. Don't even compare Miles with Fes, that's insane! The guy is like 23 yrs old and gets paid below the NBA avg salary. He really is underpaid compared to other comparable players.

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    July 10, 2011 7:42 p.m.

CJ Miles has no work ethic...like what i've been saying...he is Mediocre at Best...a decent role player that needs to come off the bench for 10-15 mins...Fes...is Fes...Ostertag v2.0...the only thing...but he is still worth the 3rd C rotation...you just cant teach height and bulk...he has 6 fouls to use...raja...you cant coach him on his mechanics anymore...unless he is more than willing...like Jason Kidd...i sure hope he picks it up next season...

• Rock On Pocatello, ID
    July 10, 2011 7:41 p.m.

JAZZ LINE UP
    KANTER at the 5 (3rd Pick),
    Favor at the 4 (3rd Pick),
    T Jones at the 3 (11th Pick), and if they move up in the lottery?
    Hayward at the 2 (9th pick)
    Burke at the 1 (12th Pick),
    Throw in Jefferson, Milsap, Harris (like the 6th pick), and WHOA in a couple of years what just might happen? On Rookie Salaries, my mind just starts running with the possibilities. Look at the height of that line up, who could match up to that, and the athleticism.

• Rock On Pocatello, ID
    July 10, 2011 7:41 p.m.

So if the season is washed up how will the draft Positions be place? Like they were the last complete year? So will Minnesota pick first? or the same teams in the lottery? Minnesota does not have their 1st pick but does have the Jazzs 1st pick, The Jazz have Golden States 1st Pick so what would the line up look like? Then how the the projected draft look? Will CLEVELAND get H Barnes? on top of the rookies they have Now? We know that in the 1st 10 picks 3 or 4 will be Freshmen. The Jazz will get T Jones or Perry Jones with the Golden State Pick. What will the teams look like then? Some teams Could be supporting 4 or 5 lottery picks over the last 3 drafts starting together. Kinda reminds me of how Tim Duncan made it to San Antonio. and that made them a power house for 15 years. Who could that be?

• Doctor J Manti, UT
    July 10, 2011 5:55 p.m.

Doesn't Jerry West have shooting video out yet???

Maybe that would help.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    July 10, 2011 5:53 p.m.

Anonigma: I agree.

• Anonigma Murray, UT
    July 10, 2011 2:48 p.m.

I blame Hornaceck for Hayward's shooting percentage

• Dustin Idaho Falls, ID
    July 10, 2011 2:41 p.m.

We could use a lot less Doug10 fans and a lot more fans who are loyal to their team. There is no way that Hornaceck made these guys bad shooters. They all figured that out on their own.

Captain L, I'm with you. I think the players need to take a hit and stop whining about everything. The owners have had more and more pressure put on them over recent years to pay the big salaries for top players. A hard cap is what the league needs.

By the way who was the genius who put Derek Fisher at the head of the Union? The man has been on the Lakers almost his whole career. He doesn't know what small market teams are dealing with.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    July 10, 2011 1:54 p.m.

This lockout is going to be a a real pain, I wouldn't be surprised if the whole season was missed. I hope not but the players seem resolved that this is going to be a long drawn out thing and the owners know things need to change. It makes me sick to think there may not be a season but I don't see things getting worked out anytime soon. I side with the owners more than the players, I know no one forced the owners to pay the salaries they have but things in the last CBA proved to be bad for business and those are the things that need to be changed. I hope the players will see that and not be too proud and stiff necked. They (the players) will still make millions even with the changes that need to be made.

• louisiana jazz man Dubach, LA
    July 10, 2011 11:23 a.m.

we need to find out if millsap has had a shooting coach the last couple of years and who it is. he has got better every year. i suspect mostly from hard work. he was in farmerville louisiana the last week working out with the local boys club. cj was probly in dallas sitting on the couch eating chips and drinking coke

• Jesse Tooele, UT
    July 10, 2011 10:47 a.m.

I do hope they upgrade the coaching staff though. I went to the first game of the Tyrone Corbin era and the bench looked sad. Corbin, Layden and Horny. Not quite as good as Sloan, Johnson, Corbin and Layden.

I think the staff needs a serious upgrade.

• Jesse Tooele, UT
    July 10, 2011 10:44 a.m.

I was reading the article thinking that a negative Doug10 comment was coming. What do ya know, first comment. I know you have to have a personal grudge against him for some reason, what is it? He may or may not be a good coach, but he hasn't even had enough time to judge that.

Also, Raja was not brought in for his 3pt shot, it was for his leadership and D, but he didn't give enough of any of that.

• The Great Houdini Rye, CO
    July 10, 2011 10:42 a.m.

cj and fes are both lazy and out of shape,bell is old and just about done,and price never could shoot although he works hard,Let`s wait on Burks and Kanter,have a feeling both will shine and hopefully miles will be gone soon

• Osgrath Provo, UT
    July 10, 2011 10:19 a.m.

I doubt that the best and most in-depth coaching in the world would get Fes to where he could hit free throws. At Raja's age he should be beyond coaching on the mechanics of his shot.

I think someone is just setting up a straw man to blame because some of the players are not capable of shooting any better than they do (Fes, Bell, Price) or don't have the mental consistency to make themselves good shooters (C.J.).

• Large Tuna Salt Lake City, UT
    July 10, 2011 10:05 a.m.

Hornacek can't be blamed for any of those players' shooting woes, that's ridiculous. CJ and Fes have been terrible their whole careers, Jeff can't come in and turn their game around in 20 games, that's impossible. Especially considering who you're talking about. Bell is too set in his game, there isn't anything Jeff can tell him that will make him improve. Plus it doesn't even make sense that a shooting coach would cause a veteran to go down in shooting percentage, please explain how you think there's even a correlation there.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    July 10, 2011 9:24 a.m.

Doug10: Your crazy if you think Jeff is the reason CJ, Fes, Price, & Bell have been having shooting problems. The players have to be held responsible for implementing the principles they are taught. Jeff can teach them but he can't shoot it for them. He also can't put in the time necessary to make the adjustments needed to become consistent. To blame Jeff is just crazy. Jeff played the game smart and took advantage of the little things to make himself better, if the players will listen and apply what Jeff teaches they will get better.

• Doug10 Roosevelt, UT
    July 10, 2011 1:01 a.m.

Since Jeff has been the shooting coach CJ has been in the tank, on and off, Fes is unable to hit a free throw, or any shot for that matter, Raja Bell brought in for his 3 pointer has been shooting blanks. Price has worked with Jeff for years and is feared by nobody in the NBA.

I am glad to hear Jeff is not under contract as it may allow the players to do some damage control and work without him messing up their shots.

Jeff, like Adrian Dantley was a great player but is abysmal as a coach