Sports

Ex-Jazzman Deron Williams headed to play in Turkey if NBA lockout is not resolved

Comments

• mohokat Ogden, UT
    July 8, 2011 7:19 a.m.

A Turkey to play in Turkey! what a fit.

• CougarKeith Roy, UT
    July 7, 2011 11:32 p.m.

Actually, why should we care???

• 1tobeamup Murray, UT
    July 7, 2011 11:05 p.m.

I don't think D-Will will be on the same team as Kanter. Deron is playing for a Euro-league team and Enes is playing for the national team. Besides, Deron is going to Enes' back yard - if anyone has the leverage there, it's Enes.

• 1tobeamup Murray, UT
    July 7, 2011 11:01 p.m.

I feel bad for his wife and kids!

• Hellooo Salt Lake City, UT
    July 7, 2011 10:15 p.m.

Great idea D-Will, this move shows the NBA exactly how much its players are over paid $200,000 month versus 16.3 million a year or in other words less than 10% of the NBA pay scale. Guess the owners may have a point.

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 7, 2011 10:03 p.m.

Turkey! How fitting.

• Penguin Inc. Salt Lake City, Utah
    July 7, 2011 9:15 p.m.

That's great, Deron. You're such a great guy. I remember that commercial you did where you call all our buddies on your phone, but everyone is busy. That was great. Nice work. Have a nice life.

• philaD Clifton Heights, PA
    July 7, 2011 9:07 p.m.

I say Good for Deron. I wish Utah still had him in the backcourt, but if he's want to ball, and at rock bottom wages, I respect that.

D-Will. Come visit philadelphia anytime man. I've got a nice air mattress you can sleep on in the spare room!

• Richie Saint George, UT
    July 7, 2011 7:35 p.m.

Don't let the door hit you in the back deron.

• byronbca Salt Lake City, UT
    July 7, 2011 6:19 p.m.

That DWill trade KOC pulled off is looking better and better every day. I bet NJ isn't happy at all about this. So much for doing what is best for his career by giving his wrist some extended rest. Too bad he wouldn't play for the Jazz at that price.

This would be the equivalent of a US worker who makes $17 an hour moving to a third world country to work for just over $1 an hour. Good luck with that.

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    July 7, 2011 5:05 p.m.

you know he's a free agent after next season...who knows...he might sign back up with us...its worth a shot trying...think about it...conspiracy...to buff our own team with NJ's picks...and get our player back...just a thought...its impossible...its pointless...but still a thought...

• B Russ Ephraim, UT
    July 7, 2011 4:48 p.m.

KOC did us a big Favor plus Kantor, what ever we get for Devin Harris and a possible lotto pick in next years strong draft. All for just Torrey Ellis!

• Mrknowitallthetime redondo beach, california
    July 7, 2011 4:22 p.m.

If I was in the front office of the Jazz, I would take careful consideration on what Deron Williams is going to be saying to Enes Kanter. Something to consider anyways?

• Morgan Duel Taylorsville, UT
    July 7, 2011 4:19 p.m.

Here is an interesting thought. Williams plays for NJ and then signs a deal with the LA Lakers. In 2013/2014 season he takes the Lakers to the NBA Championship and then thumbs his nose at his former teams.

There is justice after all.

• We the People Sandy, UT
    July 7, 2011 4:18 p.m.

I still miss you, Deron!

• Anonigma Murray, UT
    July 7, 2011 2:55 p.m.

Actually, I just thought of something.
    This just proves that the Players Association doesn't represent the players at all. Stupid Derrick Fisher and co.

If Williams plays in Turkey, he'll make much less money (I've heard 200k/month) compared to $17 mil he was due next year).

In other words, he'll play for a lot less money...which...is what the lockout is all about.

• Vince Clortho S_SPRINGS, UT
    July 7, 2011 2:12 p.m.

I'm surprised that more players haven't sought out some option in Europe with similar clauses...

• Anonigma Murray, UT