Sports

Jody Genessy: Crossing the finish line made it all worth it for this Ironman

Comments

• itswhatithink West Jordan, UT
    July 1, 2011 11:39 a.m.

Jody
    I have followed your column for several years and laughed with you, cried with you and felt your pain as I have been on my own journey. You getting ready for this triathalon has inspired me more than I expected. When you lost your weight I cheered. When you gained some of it back, I hoped you would find your way again - - - and look what you have accomplished...

My only wish was that you had had time to continue writing your column EVERY week - - I miss it so much.

Congrats - high 5 - - STANDING OVATION on achieving your goal and helpin the rest of us KNOW that we just need to follow your example..

Thanks for the email response - - you don't know how much it meant to me that you took the time to responde....NOW - KEEP GOING ! Don't STOP and keep us updated (at least once a month) on how you are doing PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!! - I mean the Jazz are in lockout right - so you have lots of time on your hands - keep running, biking and swimming AND DO IT AGAIN

• wyoming cougar Green River, WY
    June 30, 2011 3:46 p.m.

I just finished my first olympic triathlon this last saturday in Vernal- in the Clydesdale division. The training hours are well worth the sense of accomplishment when crossing the finish line.

I would love to someday do a 1/2 or full ironman, and am inspired by your story- especially at being able to stay the course and find the time to train for those distances. Keep it up!

Thanks for the inspiration.

• Cheryl Kamenski SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    June 30, 2011 9:31 a.m.

Congratulations, Jody! I am not sure if you remember me, but we sat alongside Brett in the pressbox at the Grizzlies games prior to the Winter Olympics (I was covering the Grizzlies for the Standard-Examiner). Anyway, I applaud your efforts and the reasons behind them. I recently finished my first half marathon and so I marvel at how you made it through such a long swim, bike ride and then full marathon! Simply amazing and I am so happy for you! Way to go and keep moving forward. Take care!!

• singlentri_ing BOUNTIFUL, UT
    June 29, 2011 11:05 p.m.

Your article made me cry...in a good way. SO inspiring. I've been doing triathlons now for 3 years and it's people like you that got me started in doing triathlons. This article is what is giving me courage to do my first Olympic distance tri in August. This article is what makes me want to sign up for an Ironman next year.

• gbo Draper, UT
    June 29, 2011 9:21 p.m.

Great job. Having done one, I know your pain and triumph. Crossing the finish line made it all worth it. Way to fight through it. Pain is temporary but the accomplishment lasts forever. You are an Ironman!

• dave.run262 SANDY, UT
    June 29, 2011 5:33 p.m.

Now, Jody, for the rest of the summer you can get on your bike and just "lasissex les bons rouler." No worries about cut-off times for awhile.

• CVader Bluffdale, UT
    June 29, 2011 4:12 p.m.

Well done funny man. Loved the article,thanks for sharing. I followed you all day, you had me nervous as a cat. You are a great inspiration.

• Brian Nicholson
    June 29, 2011 2:52 p.m.

Admittedly, I was a doubter, but now a believer. Nice work. What an inspiring story.

• trigator2151 Bluffdale, UT
    June 29, 2011 1:40 p.m.

Jody G! You are a true inspiration!!! Your dedication to your IM Journey and dusting yourself along the way when you faltered shows that there are no limits. I, along with your family and friends, are so very proud of you!!!

It was my absolute pleasure helping you along the way, and truthfully, you helped me just as much, in knowing that giving back can go a very long way.

Thank YOU!!!!

Always your Bud and Mentor (but I don't think you need that any more ;),

Steve

• cindy g BOUNTIFUL, UT
    June 29, 2011 1:25 p.m.

Thank you for sharing your story. I am so happy for you. Great job and congratulations! You inspire more people than you'll ever know. I will think of you when I'm running and think I can't go any further.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    June 29, 2011 12:24 p.m.

Congratulations Jody: Amazing feat you accomplished, keep working hard, thanks for the good work you do covering the Jazz.

• Trent Toone
    June 29, 2011 10:39 a.m.

Jody, I am so happy for you and inspired at the same time. Thanks for showing us how it is done. Keep going the distance, man.

• utahprincipal801 Sandy, UT
    June 29, 2011 10:21 a.m.

Great story and great example, Jody! I have loved following your health journey. I am inspired and hope I can get back to exercising!

• slcfreddy RIVERTON, UT
    June 29, 2011 9:55 a.m.

Awesome Jody!! I remember you from the way back days at SLCC, can't think of a better outcome for you and your family.

• Larry Curtis
    June 29, 2011 9:53 a.m.

Thank you for overcoming doubts and obstacles and being proof that you and the rest of us have great power to accomplish. Well done my friend.

• Golfhack20 West Jordan, Ut
    June 29, 2011 9:51 a.m.

What a great story. In all reality it was a DREAM!!! A TRUE DREAM!!! My eyes tear up as I type this to you with admiration and gratitude!!! What a cute picture of you and your beautiful family! Might I add the Iron Man outfits your kids are wearing are adorable!!! You are an inspiration to all!!!

• Far Post Cedar Hills, UT
    June 29, 2011 9:48 a.m.

I've followed you every now and then as you've progressed towards this goal. I'm sincerely impressed by your dedication and willingness to do something so difficult...sticking to your promise. Your children are very fortunate to see in their dad such an example of perseverance. You help me remember that I too can do hard things. Thanks.

• Logan Dunn
    June 29, 2011 9:42 a.m.

Amazing Jody! Congratulations on completing your Ironman. What an incredible story!

• chigbee ,
    June 29, 2011 8:55 a.m.

What an amazing story Jody. It's such an honor to work with not only an insanely talented writer but someone with the character needed to take this journey. So inspiring!

• utahutesfanatic Palos Verdes Peninsula, CA
    June 29, 2011 8:41 a.m.

That was a truly awesome and inspiring story! I loved it. Congratulations on your incredible triumph Ironman!

• Red Salt Lake City, UT
    June 29, 2011 8:34 a.m.

Good work bro! I love the journey you are on! Keep it up. I would love to hear a write up when you finish the Leadville 100 Mtn. bike race.

• WPLyon NORTH SALT LAKE, UT
    June 29, 2011 7:52 a.m.

Congratulations Jody! Extremely well done and much kudos to you and the patience from your family while you prepared and did this. I rode a very fast trike (from Utah Trikes) 330 miles in four days in CA last year, the oldest guy riding and in the process till now have lost 60 pounds. Where we are at now I can no longer ride my trike or any bike because of the horrible traffic of Lima Peru but I understand the sense of accomplishment. Congratulations again for your accomplishment and for your life, your family too!

• aunt lucy Looneyville, UT
    June 29, 2011 7:31 a.m.

High Five!! Very inspiring story.

• weedeater Murray, UT
    June 29, 2011 7:25 a.m.

Wow. W.A.Y T.O. G.O!!!!!

• MickO Williston, ND
    June 29, 2011 2:30 a.m.

J'ai fait tous les trois, mais jamais ensemble - memes en reve. Vous etes incroyable!
    On vous admire.

• sbc Mesa, AZ
    June 29, 2011 12:18 a.m.

What a story! I love it. I've worked one of the aide stations in the Tempe Ironman and what a remarkable event. It was the people like Jody that made it so fun to witness and gave the energy that I felt. Way to go!