CNN accurately explains beliefs and misconceptions of LDS Church

• youtes taylorsville, utah
    June 30, 2011 10:18 a.m.

to Bill: You don't need continued revelation. The prophets weren't continually told about the Word of Wisdom. But we still live it.

• Bill in Nebraska Maryville, MO
    June 30, 2011 6:39 a.m.

To Grace: You make a bunch of notes without really gaining an understanding of why they occurred. Continued revelation is needed. Talking about temple oaths and why they occurred is between the President of the Church and the Savior of which is the head of the Church. The others really don't require any statements to the contrary because they basically are ridiculous as shown by your total hate.

And what book is villified by your Mormon relatives and now gifted at the door. If you are talking about the Book of Mormon, then you really don't understand the importance of this magnificient book.

• Utes Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    June 29, 2011 10:28 p.m.

"To do that about what?"

I was referring to the post by "Grace | 11:20 a.m. June 29, 2011"

• youtes taylorsville, utah
    June 29, 2011 9:53 p.m.

@Utes Fan

"To obfuscate, muddle, exaggerate, etc."

To do that about what?

• Utes Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    June 29, 2011 9:31 p.m.

"Grace: What's your point?"

To obfuscate, muddle, exaggerate, etc.

• youtes taylorsville, utah
    June 29, 2011 8:49 p.m.

Grace: What's your point?

• Eddie Syracuse, UT
    June 29, 2011 12:40 p.m.

I really think you need to go back to the King James version and read that scripture again.

If you got it out of some other version, then we need to talk about who is authorized to interpret the scriptures. There are a lot of KJ scriptures that are pretty poor, but other versions are so far off that one would hardly know that it is scripture.

Also, what do we do with all the missing scriptures?

• Grace Bakersfield, CA
    June 29, 2011 11:20 a.m.

The elephant in the room is why it takes a secular agency to shed light on a religion that has had its own prophetic voice for its entire 181 years? Just looking at the factual history of the church makes non-members dizzy at the 180's (ie., total reversals of its core teachings):

Maybe claiming that plural marriage is the order of heaven and then rescinding that revelation 50+ years later was confusing... Or proclaiming that black skin was a curse and prohibiting that race from priesthood vestments for almost 150 years was offensive to historical, Biblical Christians... Or could it be that vascillations on the temple oaths and then total removal of them in 1991 added to the confusion... Take the aggressive flight from/ and attack of any group that smacked of Joseph's D&C 132 revelation was hard to understand... As was the 20 year obfuscation of John D. Lee and his 50+ cohorts...

The LDS "evolutionary" process eventually has the earmarks of a religion that is in continual metamorphisis. If it isn't in perpetual reinvention, why is the book that was vilified by all 6 of my previous Mormon generations, now gifted at doorsteps?

• Max Syracuse, NY
    June 29, 2011 7:36 a.m.

Since the book of Revelations was written before many of the other books in the New Testament, I guess you would have to throw them out as well, right? The warning in Revelations was referring ONLY to the book of Revelations. Thank goodness for that. I really enjoy the New Testament. I would hate to have to throw it out.

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    June 28, 2011 10:08 p.m.

The truth is out there?

And not Cosmo Kramer's "out there"

• sharrona layton, UT
    June 28, 2011 9:13 p.m.

JM, The Bible is about Jesus blood redemption, you will find this scarlet thread throughout the Word of God. The Prophesy of the Blood, From the very beginning of human history, it is revealed. When Adam and Eve sinned, God shed innocent blood in order to make them clothes from animal skins (Gen 3:21). This is a picture of the covering of righteousness that we receive when the Lord Jesus Christ died for us.

God told Abraham to sacrifice his son Isaac (Gen 22).But, Abraham saw a ram in a thicket. Isaac was set free, but an innocent animal's blood was shed instead.
    The night of the Passover, God instructed each house to slay a lamb and put the blood on their door. God said in Ex 12:13, "When I see the blood, I will pass over you." In the temple, thousands of sheep, oxen, and doves were killed and their blood spilt as sacrifices for sin.

And finally, the Lord Jesus Christ died upon the cross. His death was the fulfillment of all the prophecy and promises. Rev 13:8 proclaims that He was slain before the foundation of the world. He came to die.

• annewandering oakley, idaho
    June 28, 2011 8:49 p.m.

There were a few small inaccuracies but on the whole it was a nicely presented video. I was pleasantly surprised since you see so many inaccuracies out there.
    For the person who said the church was conservative hmm That kind of comment has always bothered me. The Church is not political. Many people in the church are conservative politically but that is not the Church. Politics is not our religion. It might pay to keep that in mind. :D

• Southern Belle Atlanta, GA
    June 28, 2011 1:39 p.m.

I am an employee of CNN here in Atlanta and a Mormon. Glad to see something postive written about my employer.

• Independent Henderson, NV
    June 28, 2011 1:36 p.m.

"Where did we get to a place that the trappings became so dominant in our Church?"

I don't know that it has been that way in my experience. As a member of an Elders Quorum Presidency, I have to say most of my involvement in the church is simply getting down to the nitty-gritty of helping myself and others to live a Christ-like life, that is to say serving people in very practical ways. And the thing that stands out most from my experiences in the church from childhood and throughout my youth is learning about the Savior, his teachings, the Atonement, etc. Sure, I learned about Joseph Smith and Golden plates, etc., but always in the context of the broader mission of the savior and his gospel, and I make no apology for it. These things were essential to the Savior's mission in my view.

• JM Lehi, UT
    June 28, 2011 1:32 p.m.

@IdahoCoug I agree that Christ is the Center of our lives, the center of the BoM and the Gospel, but He is also the center of everything, every trapping: auxiliary, service project, calling, Home Evening, Word of Wisdom, etc. My point of view is that Christ changes some "trappings" as cultures and people change, and others stay the same (and you might notice more of those eternal truths as you reread the BoM, attend the Temple, and continue your studies :), carry on).

All things point to Christ.

@Moniker Some fulltime DN commentators admit they are "anti-Mormon." "DN anti-Mormon" refers to them and people who try to work something negative about Mormons, LDS faith, etc into every article, perhaps hoping to lead down.

Sometimes they pretend to be LDS in their first comments, then not later etc.

A recent AP article discussed how "anti-Mormonism" is alive, while some other forms of bigotry are dying. We shouldn't bury our heads about this.

Many keeping bigotry alive reject the title "anti-Mormon," even to themselves. Some dont want us to know what they are up to, others know that anti-Mormons are often "mean people" who fight "COEXISTing.

• full disclosure Providence, UT
    June 28, 2011 1:26 p.m.

RE: Razzle2

I'm not sure why your ancestors journals claim that polygamy started with Brigham Young around 1850. That is simply not true. Joseph Smith introduced polygamy long before even his wife knew about it. You should read Todd Compton's (active LDS), I believe sold at Deseret Book "In Sacred Loneliness".
    Also CNN's reporting although accurate seemed to me like he took the "Preach My Gospel Manual and was using that as his source.
    One more thing, people- we do still practice polygamy in our temples and it's doctrinal! (See section 132 of the D & C) I have asked my wife that if something ever happens to her what her views would be if I marry someone else and are sealed to that person too. Is that not polygamy?

• Idaho Coug Meridian, Idaho
    June 28, 2011 11:09 a.m.

Linus - great comment! My favorite LDS quote was by Joseph Smith who said (I paraphrase) that outside of the Savior everything else is just trappings. As I am re-reading the Book of Mormon it is clear that it is almost soley looking for and teaching of Jesus Christ (with a few wars and contentions thrown in for good measure). You have to strain to find any of the trappings of Mormonism within that book that seem to dominate much of who we are perceived to be today.

Where did we get to a place that the trappings became so dominant in our Church? It can be very difficult to get through the "clutter" of everything else Mormonism and to the heart of the Gospel - Jesus Christ, His atonement, and our need to honor his atonement by being as loving and charitable as possible.

For me, my testimony centers on the Savior, service and charity. Everything else is trappings and clutter.

• Linus Bountiful, UT
    June 28, 2011 10:16 a.m.

While I appreciate the effort to provide some accuracy in their depiction of the trappings of Mormonism, there was no effort to accurately characterize their core Christian feelings of love, reverence, gratitude and worship of Jesus Christ as Savior and Redeemer of mankind through His great atoning sacrifice.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    June 28, 2011 10:11 a.m.

"Fox may be biased, but it is fair to say they are more balanced than the others. During the Massachussettes senator elections they were pretty much 50/50 in Republican/Democrat coverage while the others were about 70/30 in favor of Democrats"

But does it count if the anchors all show bias for Republicans and against Democrats. Fox covers Obama a ton but how much of that was calling him a radical, socialist, extremist, who some say isn't born in america or isn't christian, who has a radical pastor who teaches black liberation theology...and he's a racist? Even if it's 50/50 that doesn't mean it's fair and balanced.

• gizmo33 St. George, Utah
    June 28, 2011 9:07 a.m.

it wont change anything the people that always have nothing but negative comments and views towards the people of the LDS faith will not change their perception one iota. but thats ok I know a lot of LDS people and they will just keep on going and never be discourged

• mtgirl2 Saint George, UT
    June 28, 2011 8:12 a.m.

"Evangelicals are famous for keeping their flock in the dark as much as possible and discouraging them from any sort of investigation. Pretty sad but very predictable."

Are you serious? I think you have it backward. In Revelations it warns people not to add extra-biblical "revelations" (i.e., book of mormon). I used to belong, I know there are good people in your church, well meaning, but the Bible is what you need to follow, and they don't encourage that. Its all about joseph smith,etc. You are the ones kept in the dark. Hope you will have an open heart. Have a blessed day.

• Moracle Blackshear, GA
    June 28, 2011 7:21 a.m.

Professor Butler gave an amazingly accurate account of Mormon belief. The only error I noticed, was a small one, that doesn't have a bearing on doctrine, which was her statement that the vision of Moroni was in the Sacred Grove, rather than in Joseph's bedroom.

Congratulations to CNN and Professor Butler for a great representation of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

• Freedom Huntsville, UT
    June 28, 2011 7:09 a.m.

Nice. I think we should thank them. Maybe that would encourage more accurate reporting.

• 1Infidel APO, AE
    June 28, 2011 6:27 a.m.

You misrepresent the Pew Study. The Pew Study did not rate the broadcasters on their "truthful reporting" or knowledge of current events. It rated those who watch the programs on they, the viewer's grasp of current events, and then backtracked or linked their knowledge in response to their questions about TARP, auto bailouts, etc, to give the ratings for "most informed viewers claim to watch which broadcast."

People with the best/accurate answers to the questions listed the comedy shows as their most-watched show. Fox-viewers were kind of mediocre, but way way above the marks given those who claim reliance on network newscasts. All that tells me is that the better read/up-to-date viewers are bored with typical news/info sources, and can laugh harder as they really know what's going on despite the twists and turns of Colbert and Stewart.

• moniker lewinsky Taylorsville, UT
    June 27, 2011 10:51 p.m.

I have to say that the term "anti-Mormon" really bothers me and a lot of people I know.
    If somebody has a particular criticism of the church or something that doesn't quite rub them the right way, that doesn't necessarily make them "anti-Mormon". I happen to have more than one criticism regarding LDS doctrines and practices, but I also have a lot of LDS people in my life whom I love. My criticisms and reservations don't make me anti-Mormon. Moreover, I have spent over 30 years educating myself (25 within the church) and I never say anything that I know to be false.
    When you use the term "anti-Mormon", you attempt to swiftly and abruptly discredit a person before really listening to or digesting what they have to say.
    If somebody says something that is factually incorrect, I think it is appropriate to point out the error and, in addition, provide the correct information. If it isn't a matter of factuality but rather perception, it's fine to share any insight that you feel might make a difference in helping somebody see things a different way.
    The term "anti-Mormon", however, is divisive.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    June 27, 2011 10:13 p.m.

A few years ago, I was told by multiple people who served in the military in Iraq that Fox News was the only news station that reported it accurately. They didn't like the other news stations because they twisted the story to fit the liberal view, while Fox told it how it was.

Fox may be biased, but it is fair to say they are more balanced than the others. During the Massachussettes senator elections they were pretty much 50/50 in Republican/Democrat coverage while the others were about 70/30 in favor of Democrats (the margin may not have been even that narrow, either). Some Republicans don't like Fox because of how fiery it can get, while the Democrats hate it because it often exposes the truth.

That being said, I am rather surprised that CNN actually reported this accurately, and I hope Fox comes out with one of their own to improve their reputation.

• Razzle2 Bluffdale, UT
    June 27, 2011 9:52 p.m.

Anderson Cooper on CNN is part of the cause of misconceptions when he reported each night the news on Warren Jeffs with the Salt Lake Temple in his background.

• RAB Bountiful, UT
    June 27, 2011 9:29 p.m.

I am never satisfied with these kinds of public explanations of LDS doctrine for the simple fact that they always focus on the issues that are of the most interest to outsiders rather than focusing on the doctrines that are actually the most important. They spend all their time defending the LDS Church from common misconceptions instead of informing people that the basic differance is simply the fact they church leaders seek to be led by revelation directly from God.

• Shaun Sandy, UT
    June 27, 2011 9:22 p.m.

How could the liberal CNN do an accurate news piece on a religion that is clearly to the right?

I thought liberals hate America and hate religion.

• I M LDS 2 Provo, UT
    June 27, 2011 9:15 p.m.

Are you kidding? I have yet to have a Gospel Doctrine teacher who can present the Gospel accurately! I have not had a single seminary or institute teacher who taught it accurately. Why should I expect CNN to get it right?

• Max Syracuse, NY
    June 27, 2011 8:56 p.m.

I am amazed that anybody got it right. It just shows you that journalists and academics can get it right if they try. However, I do wonder with Reverend Huckabee at Fox if they would ever be as accurate. I once heard a news anchor at Fox say that Mitt Romney's home state was Utah. Yes, the governor of Massachusetts is from Utah. Other comments related to the LDS church seemed well off the ark. No, I don't think Fox will ever nail this one down as CNN did.

• DanO Mission Viejo, CA
    June 27, 2011 8:37 p.m.

Yes, the "truth", the questions Pew asked are completely biased (sarcasm)

Percent who could name:
    The current vice president
    Their states governor
    The president of Russia
    Percent who know
    America has a trade deficit
    The party controlling the House
    The Chief Justice is conservative
    Percent who could identify
    Tom Foley/Nancy Pelosi
    Richard Cheney/ Robert Gates
    John Poindexter/Scooter Libby

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    June 27, 2011 7:57 p.m.

I wish most "Utah Mormons" will watch this video and finally accept the fact we are no longer "bread white" and all from Utah.

In fact - Utah Mormons have been the minority of Church membership for quite some time now.

I waiting patiently for the 1st Hispanic Apostle to be called.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    June 27, 2011 7:56 p.m.

It is probably true that your circle of friends in Taylorsville is all aware that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints does not practice polygamy. I have met people in Detroit who were confused about this subject. I also met people on my mission in Las Vegas who had false notions on this topic. I have also found website that speak of Warren Jeffs as a "Mormon Leader" giving no indication that he is not part of the same group that the missionaries who come knowking at people's doors are.
    In the US media the coverage of this has gotten better in the last few years, but there are websites that spread false information and many people skim the news so slightly that they will come away with false impressions.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    June 27, 2011 7:49 p.m.

Actually the best place to link is mormon.org. That website is specifically geared to telling people about the Church.

• the truth Holladay, UT
    June 27, 2011 7:18 p.m.

RE: DanO | 3:21 p.m

Name a source that isn't biased.

Even Pew Research has a liberal bias.

Colbert Report and The Daily show are comedy shows with a strong liberal bias, NOT a good source or real information.

If you rely on the comedy network for your information, you are deep trouble my friend.

• jmort SLO, CA
    June 27, 2011 7:14 p.m.

I hope Fox News does the same thing (explains LDS beliefs) in the near future. It will be interesting to see how "fair and balanced" their presentaion is and compare it to CNN's reporting.

• sharrona layton, UT
    June 27, 2011 6:30 p.m.

Mugabe,The Chistian Church. The N. T. uses the word church to translate ecclesia, in Greek literally "the called out" referring to those who are saved(invisible church) and not to a religious assembly.

We know that all things work together for good to them who love Godand are called according to His purpose. (See Romans 8:28) The Sovereign God(uncreated creator) of the Bible, who calls(elects) according to his purpose.

Nicene creed: We believe in one holy(sanctified) catholic(universal believers) and apostolic Church.

Gospel(euangelion,2098)Good News or Good message. St Paul, By this gospel(evangelical)l you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain. For what I received I passed on to you as of first importancea]: that Christ died for our sins according to the criptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures,(1Cor 15:2-5).The true Gospel was never lost.

• BYR Woods Cross, UT
    June 27, 2011 6:23 p.m.

@ Emily, regarding the LDS church discouraging its members to search LDS history from sources other than LDS, while I see you point, I think that is changing. Especially in light of Anderson/Turley tome on Mountain Meadows, Bushman RSR and the JS Papers. The problem with historical sources, of either side, there is too much bias. I think and hope that is finally changing.

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    June 27, 2011 6:12 p.m.

That is nice to get some fair coverage and to not pander to some religions that don't care for the LDS church. As for polygamy, there is still quite a few people that do think that this is part of the church practice. I don't know if Romney or Huntsman would become president, but I do hope that they will not feel that they have to hide what their religion is. I do think that people in this nation are understanding who the Mormons are more, but there will always be misconceptions and people who try to spin things to make it sound like they are following some really bizarre ideas. I read some of the things anti's will spin and if I didn't know more then they obviously do, I would be quite alarmed. Wish with the internet, people would check out what they read.

• ? Fort Knox, KY
    June 27, 2011 5:58 p.m.

Job well done, CNN. Certainly, more could be expounded upon, but folks who want to know more can do that by going to the church website or visit a church in their local area.

• Razzle2 Bluffdale, UT
    June 27, 2011 5:48 p.m.

I'm a conservative that does not like Fox News.
    CNN did good based on the time constraint.
    For everything CNN got right, MSNBC is messing it up even worse.
    For the record according to my ancestors journals, polygamy was not introduced to the general church until 1850 under Brigham Young, although he used quotes from Joseph Smith. Most members never practiced it, as it was commanded only to a few. However, since the polygamous were so prosperous, the majority of the next generations came from polygamous families.

• Mugabe ACWORTH, GA
    June 27, 2011 5:23 p.m.

The world is on a campaign to change the name that God has given us that entitles us to become "fellowcitizens with the saints and of the household of God." In every dispensation the Lord has appeared personally to settle disputations as what name we should be known by. He came in 3 Nephi, when the people were murmuring about this thing. (27:4)

He came in our dispensation, Doctrine and Covenants 115:5, and revealed to all of the people, not just the prophet, the same information, "For thus shall my church be called in the last days, even The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. (v 4)"

Why do you suppose that the word "Latter," is included in the name? It has to mean that those who were members of Christ church in former times were also called saints. Judging from Paul's teachings, It appears that this name change was the result of the apostasy of the early saints.

We may be doing more harm than good by trying appeal to the other "faiths," if there is such a thing. The scriptures teach us that there is "One Lord one faith one baptism."

• moniker lewinsky Taylorsville, UT
    June 27, 2011 5:11 p.m.

I can't speak for the world, but nobody I know is laboring under the delusion that mainstream LDS practice polygamy. If it wasn't clear already, we can thank Big Love for getting the word out.

The question that people ought to be asking themselves, in my opinion, is not if mainstream LDS practice polygamy, but: Was Joseph Smith, a founding prophet to both the LDS church and the RLDS church, visited by an angel with a flaming sword and threatened by said angel if he declined to practice polygamy?

Joseph Smith did claim to be visited by an angel and threatened if he did not practice polygamy.

Those who believe this account should not be embarassed by polygamy or apologize for it because it must have been instructed of God.
    Those who reject this account care little that the LDS church has since abandoned the practice.

It seems that simple to me, anyway.

• Mugabe ACWORTH, GA
    June 27, 2011 4:55 p.m.

I watched the short clip done by Professor Butler, and there were some things that she did not get right. I don't mean to be nick picky, nor is it my intent to criticize the commentary, but when answering questions concerning the Church of Jesus Christ, the doctrine, pertaining to the question, should be taught. The statement that Professor Butler made that, "Joseph was the founder of the church," is way off base, and is misleading, not in harmony with the doctrine. one of the four important doctrines we are to make sure that the people we teach understand is found in "Preach my Gospel." It states:

Beginning with the First Vision, God has again reached out in love to His children. He restored the gospel of Jesus Christ and his priesthood authority and organized His Church on the earth through the Prophet Joseph Smith. the Book of Mormon is convincing evidence of this Restoration. (Page 7)

This is important because it establishes that God did not restore to this earth a "Christian church." The Christian church was the only church organization on earth, after the apostasy of the early Saints, and prior to the restoration of the gospel.

• coleman51 Orem, UT
    June 27, 2011 4:35 p.m.

Analysis of the Church was fair but constrained by time. Many people would like to expand on some of these beliefs. I guess they could go to lds.org but I doubt many would. Overall, it was as fair an analysis I have seen.

• DanO Mission Viejo, CA
    June 27, 2011 3:21 p.m.

VST, while you might trust them, it doesn't mean they're unbiased, they just seem to support your own biases. And Eddie, according to Pew Research, public knowledge of current affairs isn't Fox News strong point. They scored a 35 on high knowledge level. Admittedly, CNN scored a 41, but both were bested by Colbert Report/Daily show at 54.

• guswetrust Cebterville, Utah
    June 27, 2011 3:14 p.m.

I thought it was a nice description without getting defensive or pointing fingers. Just nice and to the point!...And, very understandable!

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    June 27, 2011 3:12 p.m.

My cousin has a moral disability. He can take advantage of other people, and he doesn't seem to see it as something that is wrong, that he ought to be ashamed of. If you watch the movie "The Bad Seed", you will get an idea of what I am talking about. Some people are just wired differently.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    June 27, 2011 2:37 p.m.

["What political news source do you trust the most?"

Fox News scored the highest at 28%. CNN was second at 18%. All of the others were way behind these two (10% or less).]

If, as conservatives believe is the case, everyone else is the "mainstream liberal media" and then there's Fox... wouldn't that mean Fox would win because all the others are splitting the mainstream media vote? So I don't think the poll really says all that much except that Fox News is where conservatives get their news. I have a feeling that if asked "what political news source do you trust the least" fox would also win that one for the same reason. It's rather anomalous which tends to lead itself to strong opinions one way or the other.

• Idaho Coug Meridian, Idaho
    June 27, 2011 2:20 p.m.

I have to agree that this was one of the most neutral and accurate non-LDS depictions of Mormonism that I have seen. It doesn't come close to answering every question people will have or addressing every aspect they may have heard about but it also didn't perpetuate false beliefs.

Now the challenge remains that even a very neutral and accurate portrayal of the LDS faith will still seem very odd and silly to many. That is just the nature of spiritual and supernatural beliefs. They tend to defy logic by their very nature which is why religion is all about faith.

• Eddie Syracuse, UT
    June 27, 2011 2:14 p.m.

@ MenaceToSociety

You have not seen the "test" that was given to a various people about current events. FOX News people scored much higher than CNN or any other news givers. The quality of questions were such that made it completly unbiased.

This article really suprised me also. CNN is not known for its facts, but I do have to admit, they have turned things around the last few months. Maybe they have been looking at the polls and see where they are vs FOX News along with MSNBC, and the big three news networks.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    June 27, 2011 2:06 p.m.

'Accurate' and 'religion.'

That's cute!

• Emily Salt Lake City, UT
    June 27, 2011 2:05 p.m.

Patriot, I couldn't help laughing when I read your comment

"CNN could save itself a lot of trouble by just adding a link to lds.org. People could then find out all they wanted about our beliefs and then some. You can never trust a news organization to be accurate ... too much bias and political motivation in the big news organizations today."

Bias and "political" motivations is exactly why many people would seek out a news organization to find out about a particular religion instead of going directly to the source. A third party is more likely to be transparent, since they aren't trying to convert you. CNN used a very neutral tone, which I appreciated.

These remarks can easily be applied to the LDS church as well, since they discourage their members from using outside sources to investigate church history and beliefs. Even if a book or article is historically accurate, it can be labeled "anti-Mormon" if it doesn't present the church in a positive light.

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    June 27, 2011 1:46 p.m.

Well done within the time constraints and fairly stated.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    June 27, 2011 1:04 p.m.

Another step in the right direction. Maybe more people will start to realize that an LDS president will not try to force their values on the citizens of this country any more than JFK tried to as the Catholic president.

• Sparky908 Yakima, WA
    June 27, 2011 12:59 p.m.

Good job. A fair video with all the key facts in place within the time constraints. Nice to see a fair impartial report. Hats off to Mr. Ferguson.
    Keep up the good work.

• JM Lehi, UT
    June 27, 2011 12:59 p.m.

Now if we could just get the DN comment anti-Mormons to be accurate.....: )

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    June 27, 2011 12:58 p.m.

CNN could save itself a lot of trouble by just adding a link to lds.org. People could then find out all they wanted about our beliefs and then some. You can never trust a news organization to be accurate ... too much bias and political motivation in the big news organizations today. I think most of the fear and hate misinformation is coming from the evangelicals since they see their bottom line ($$$) being effected if a Mormon is elected. Evangelicals are famous for keeping their flock in the dark as much as possible and discouraging them from any sort of investigation. Pretty sad but very predictable.

• dbfox Grand Junction, CO
    June 27, 2011 12:53 p.m.

Draper, UT

You answered your own question. Fox rocks, CNN sucks.

• MenaceToSociety Draper, UT
    June 27, 2011 12:37 p.m.

Why would you be surprised CNN got it right? It's not Fox News.

• Brother Chuck Schroeder A Tropical Paradise USA, FL
    June 27, 2011 12:30 p.m.

"Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices
    whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance."

-1 CORINTHIANS 13:4-7

"Jesus replied, 'The most important commandment is this: The Lord our God is the one and only Lord. And you must LOVE the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your mind, and all your strength. The second is equally important: Love your neighbor as yourself. No other commandment is greater than these.'"

-MARK 12:29-31

"So now I (Jesus) am giving you a new commandment: Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should LOVE each other."

-JOHN 13:34

"We LOVE Him, because He first loved us."

-1 JOHN 4:19

When I was at the lowest point in my life, I heard a chap named Dr. Robert H. Schuller saying, "Tough times never last, but tough people do!".

• LDSareChristians Anchorage, AK
    June 27, 2011 12:20 p.m.

Wow, other then ending abruptly, that was a good video.

• johnnylingo62 Gray, TN
    June 27, 2011 12:18 p.m.

Wow, I'm shocked... CNN got it right with the facts in this short clip. That's great and I really appreciate it. yes i do.

• XelaDave Salem, UT
    June 27, 2011 12:17 p.m.

I watched this last week and while you could nit-pic here and there and want this or that added I thought it was fair given the format and time constraints- that is about all you ask for in such a forum