Utah

Popular Mormon mommy blogs revisited

Comments

• Liliana Montrose, CA
    Dec. 17, 2014 1:59 p.m.

I think it's awesome that women from different religious perspectives enjoy reading "mormon mommy blogs". "the basic messages expressed in these blogs — family is wonderful, life is meant to be enjoyed, celebrate the small things — are still lovely," wrote Matcahar, a self-proclaimed atheist. "And if they help women like me envision a life in which marriage and motherhood could potentially be something other than a miserable, soul-destroying trap, I say, 'Right on.' " Many women, especially today view that having a family is the worst possible thing than can happen in any one's life. But that is not true. Family is just that, enjoying and celebrating activities, such as the first day of school, baby's first steps, and other random things like birthdays or summer camp. Family, when each other upholds their divine responsibility as parents, can be a blessing in any one's life.

• @Charles the greater outdoors, UT
    June 28, 2011 2:42 p.m.

I'm wondering what is suffering in Mr. Spring's life to make the outlandish claims he does.

I'm also wondering what is being neglected in his own home when he sits on a Utah newspaper thread?

So Johnny, are you doing all you can in your home while you justify the tearing down of others on the Dnews threads?

Somewhere there is a verse of scripture that talks about an eye and a mote...Johnny, could you look that one up for us and return and report?

Blogs are a great way to share with your family and friends what's going on in your life. Pictures and videos can be uploaded for all to see. It is a great journaling technique and a way to share the gospel.

I believe in Conference one of the 12 Apostles encouraged blogging and using the internet as a way to communicate the gospel.

Johnny, could you look that one up to and return and report?

have a great day folks!

• Independent Henderson, NV
    June 28, 2011 2:17 p.m.

I take issue with the claim that these blogs present an ideal that doesn't exist or is unattainable. In fact, it's a pretty accurate, although extremely positive view of what my life is actually like. I make no apology for having an extremely happy family with an enormously talented and beautiful wife and children. Of course not everything is perfect, but what's wrong with emphasizing the positive in our lives? Are we supposed to pretend we are miserable? I think the way of thinking that says we should always focus on the negative in an effort to "keep it real" promotes a false sense of reality. And I think people who become offended by happy talented people should spend less time criticizing and more time developing their own talents in a positive and constructive manner. And once again, I think John Charity Spring should relax.

• tom_e Kaysville, UT
    June 28, 2011 11:37 a.m.

I really miss the news articles that at one time appeared on most news web sites. They have been replaced by the blogs. Cheaper to produce but they usually have no news content.

• Sarah Nichole West Jordan, UT
    June 28, 2011 11:19 a.m.

Um, John, did you ever think that blogging is a way to work from home while keeping an eye on your kids? It's not hard to type a few sentences at a time in between playing with and chasing the kids around the house. Before you know it, you have a decent article, your kids are taken care of, and the house is clean. The ads and page views bring in extra income for a lot of the more popular bloggers. It's not a bad second job.

• katiefrankie Provo, UT
    June 27, 2011 8:52 p.m.

@ John, how do you know they aren't blogging when their children are asleep?

• John Charity Spring Alloway, NJ
    June 27, 2011 8:32 p.m.

This so-called article misses the most important issue here. These mothers of young children are spending time blogging that they should be devoting to those children.

These women will come to regret the day they chose to ignore the counsel that "no other success can compensate for failure in the home. " Their neglect of their children will have tragic consequences.

Our society is already in the midst of an epidemic of substance abuse, crime, and immorality. These mommy bloggers are apparently content to contribute further delinquents to the total.

• RBN Salt Lake City, UT
    June 27, 2011 4:24 p.m.

I usually don't care to read the numerous copy-cat, over-exaggerated, and under-realistic "Mormon Mommy blogs".... and I'm a Mormon.

• katiefrankie Provo, UT
    June 27, 2011 3:39 p.m.

The article by Emily Matchar made me want to vomit into my keyboard. Her article was not only condescending (her talk about being an overeducated atheist made me want to fire back with, "Um, sweetie, you are supposed to wait until other people say that about you, not proclaim it smugly yourself,"), plus it revealed something I see as wrong about our culture. Her description of our lives as almost shrilly cheerful; with emo husbands in black glasses, skinny jeans, and tight plaid shirts; and crafts and elegant meals shown next to beautiful, well-behaved children gives a false sense of reality that makes actual Mormon mothers wonder if they will ever measure up to an ideal that DOESN'T EXIST.

• Former Utahn Westminster, CO
    June 27, 2011 1:42 p.m.

I agree. This was a fluff article.

I am not a fan of reading these blogs. Sometimes they've got good stuff but mostly it's "Look at my cool life"! Just another reason for Mormon woman to compare themselves to each other!

• perpetuallyso OREM, UT
    June 27, 2011 12:31 p.m.

I'm really confused about the content of this article. The point is that people of the LDS religion like to blog and can be popular when they don't share their testimony every other sentence? Okay, great?