Sports

Jimmer Fredette's jersey helps him know he's arrived in NBA

Comments

• Captain L Provo, UT
    June 30, 2011 9:25 p.m.

Tyler, it's obvious you can't see talent when it's in front of you, according to Corbin the Jazz would have taken Jimmer if he had been there and Sac. took Jimmer at 10, not because he's a celebrity or something but because he has the skills you say you don't see. Jimmer has the skills to be very successfull in the NBA, not just a reserve or role player but a starter and possibly an allstar, if players like Nash and Price can become allstars, so can Jimmer, he has as much potential as they do or did. Jimmer's shooting and ball handling are already aba level, his passing is much underrated, his floor vision is good, he won't be the best defensive player in the league but he will do fine. Jimmer is a winner and he is a hard worker, he will put in the time to improve in the areas he needs to and will prove people wrong who doubt him.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    June 29, 2011 1:49 p.m.

"Would you mind clarifying your "cult" comments? Are you referring to star NBA player groupies or simply trying to bash a geographic region/religion? Either way your comments make little sense."
    ---Indiana Coug, directed to MiP

I'm not sure how my comment made little sense to you, other than you not agreeing with it. I was talking about Jimmermania and the amount of pub he gets---much of which I feel is justified but sometimes out-of-proportion to his status as an NBA rookie and his college career which netted 3 NCAA tourney victories.

"Cult" followers was a quote from his new coach. You'd know that if you had read the article.

No question many of Jimmers followers have acted crazy---as many fans do---even bowing to him on national TV. Don't believe me that some of his fans can get nuts? Ask the Y coed who wrote the op-ed piece to the Daily Universe about the Jimmer worship--then got ridiculed.

It's fun to watch Jimmermania. And I have no doubts Jimmer is a great player. Doesn't mean I have to mention him on facebook everyday or light a candle at his shrine.

• RepresentBlue West Jordan, UT
    June 29, 2011 11:22 a.m.

Jimmer is gonna be a HUGE star in Sacramento. He will thrive under Westphal's system and will get a chance to start right a way. Yes, he will have to learn how to defend against NBA point guards but he has the athletic ability to do it as he proved in the NBA combine. He doesn't have to be a lockdown defender. He just needs to defend well enough that he is not a liability and this should not be a problem for him. And we all know scoring won't be a problem for him either. He will be great with the Kings. It was probably the best situation he could have landed in - even better than Utah or Phoenix.

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    June 29, 2011 9:09 a.m.

@ 1984 for life,

"Can't wait to see the reaction from Tyreke Evans and DeMarcus Cousins the first time Jimmer hoists up a 40 footer."

Yeah, an awe-struck face would be fun to see. Especially when the Kings' fans all go nuts and cheer their heads off.

• bluecoug89 Highland, UT
    June 28, 2011 9:49 p.m.

The only ones who aren't Fredette fans are the ones who got owned by him and can't accept the fact that yes, their whole entire team got destroyed by a white, mormon guy who's 6'2''.

• factcheck Salt Lake City, UT
    June 28, 2011 10:23 a.m.

Thank you Swoop for the clarification. Hedgie is not a woman of her words is she?

By the way Hedgie, you were wrong 34 times last year on your BYU basketball predictions. Keep up the solid work.

• factcheck Salt Lake City, UT
    June 28, 2011 10:17 a.m.

Tyler you are new to the D-News boards. Hedgie is not a critic, she is simply all about hating anything and everything about BYU and the LDS church. Go back and read ANY BYU article and then come back on and comment on how you agree with her.

• deductive reasoning Arlington, VA
    June 27, 2011 7:13 p.m.

1984 for life

I can't wait to see the faces of Tyreke Evans and DeMarcus Cousins the first time Jimmer buries a 40-footer as effortlessly as they hit 15-footers.

• 1984 for life Salt Lake City, UT
    June 27, 2011 5:20 p.m.

• BYUSoCal Fountain Valley, CA
    June 27, 2011 1:06 p.m.

I can't wait for the first time he crosses over on Kobe leaving kobe in the dust, that is when I will the naysayers will have to give it up... And that will happen. No one has stopped him yet, they have talked about him failing, hoped he would fail, but he has never failed. His is a great kid with "hard work" skills.

• Ufan Salt Lake City, UT
    June 27, 2011 11:00 a.m.

TJ

The Jimmer doubters are crossing their fingers, hoping that Jimmer has an less than average rookie season. Their worst nightmare would be seeing Jimmermania in the NBA. The Jimmer haters will be in full panic mode if that happens. They've already been forced to raise the bar so often it's getting ridiculous, even for them:

Sweet Sixteen - check
    Concensus NPOY - check
    NBA draftee - check
    Lottery pick - check
    NBA starter - already a near lock
    NBA rookie all-star - pending

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    June 27, 2011 10:27 a.m.

Jimmer was a spectacular college player. He earned every bit of what he got and he earned all relevant NPOY awards. I did not believe this was possible at the beginning of last season. I do believe it was deserved. I will never bet against him again. I believe he will have a good NBA career because he simply does not have it in him to fail. I would be surprised if he is not in the All star weekend on the rookie team this year and would love to see him in the 3 point shooting contest. It would be the first time I have watched any all-star weekend for years. He is in a position to get a lot of PT this year and I am anxious to see how he does.
    Extremely classy person.

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    June 27, 2011 8:14 a.m.

@ Bugoff,

Good analysis of Jimmer, but those who watched enough of Jimmer's college games (all 3 starting years) know that he'll have no problem distributing the ball to other shooters. He would've averaged 2+ times as many career assists had his teammates been just average college shooters.

He'll use his long-ball capability to catch sagging defenders off guard. That'll break down defenses as they scramble to stop it.

Jimmer's cross-over will free him up from perimeter defenders to help open up teammates because the Kings will then have a number advantage.

His ability to drive the basket AND take phyiscal play will open up teammates for dunks or treys, and get his 90+% foul shooting into effect.

It's going to be fun watching him grow in the NBA. He'll be an all-star soon enough, then morph into the superstar he's quite capable of being. He's already a "celebrity" superstar, and for a reason: he jimmers!

The Kings got lucky.

• raybies Layton, UT
    June 27, 2011 6:58 a.m.

Freddette has a great attitude. I wish him the best.

• Waipahuboy WAIPAHU, HI
    June 27, 2011 12:04 a.m.

IIRC, former Brigham Young great Ainge wore the number 7 during his short stint in Sacto, after he was dealt by the Celts. Ainge then went on to several productive years after Sacramento (Portland, Phoenix) before his years as a TV analyst, PHX coach and GM for Bah-stun.

Seven a good choice for the Jimmer as he helps revive a moribund franchise.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    June 26, 2011 11:53 p.m.

Jimmer will most likely be the starting PG on a team full of players who need and demand a lot of touches and tend to require the ball in their hands to be effective.

He will be like Nash. So many demands, only one ball.

Jimmer's biggest problem is going to be running a team full of gunners effectively. Everybody knows he can shoot but SAC is full of shooters.

Jimmer is going to be taxed to the limit learning how to distribute and pass. SAC does not play a lot of D so that will come along.

If he makes the transition to distributive PG then he will be a complete PG. If he is in the top 10 in assists then Jimmer has found a home in the NBA.

Other teams will want him as they know he can shoot and it will be clear he has developed his PG and defensive skills.

• Swoop Salt Lake City, UT
    June 26, 2011 11:34 p.m.

hedgehog

"I'm sure the Kings will be looking to start over with the first pick of the 2012 NBA Draft."

hedgehog | 11:20 a.m. Feb. 26, 2011
    "Just to let you know how confindent I am in a [Cougar] loss today [BYU at SDSU]. I will stop any and all posts on [BYU] articles for the remaining basketabll season if the [Cougars] somehow pull out a win."

Chris B | 11:32 a.m. March 1, 2011
    Salt Lake City, UT
    "In fact, if [BYU] gets to the Sweet 16, I will post nothing but accolades to your team..."

------------------------

Your predictions/promises are like pie crusts -- easily made and easily broken.

• selway Paul, Idaho
    June 26, 2011 10:45 p.m.

The most exciting college player as many experts have commented since Pete Maravich. Unaminous college POY. I don't recall the kid being blocked at the rim in countless finishes in the half court. Most of America is rooting for him. His game has so much charisma. Like many I started out a doubter but after his 49 point game at Arizona I got on board.

• louie Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 26, 2011 10:41 p.m.

Darned if you and darned if you don't. I hope Jimmer who is one of oldest players drafted, will be good player, but that does not mean the Kantor pick is a mistake.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    June 26, 2011 10:16 p.m.

those haters are not worth reading. Good luck Jimmer and have fun!

• aficionado Sandy, UT
    June 26, 2011 9:38 p.m.

hedge.

for living in where ever you live, you sure like to comment about jimmer and just tell us how awful he's going to be.

I think you'll be eating your words when the KINGS have a better record than the JAZZ next year.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    June 26, 2011 9:24 p.m.

"Jimmermania exists because of the way Jimmer plays, not because of the hype from Jimmer fans."
    Sportscenter.

I disagree. I think it's more than just his ball play. Sure, I enjoy Jimmer's game and think he will do well in the NBA. But "mania" occurs as a result of the frenzied fandom. Think Beattle-mania. Solid band. Outrageous fan base. Jimmer's got lots of "intangibles" that would appeal to many fans: he's clean cut, white, gives a good interview, has a brother who raps, is from a small town, and played with prisoners. He's likeable. But his worshipfulness have grown beyond what is typically expected of the #10 pick. But that's just my opinion.

Also, though first round picks, no question Stockton and Malone didn't have, nor had they earned, the hype Jimmer has so far. But Stockton and Malone continued their incredible work ethic and it paid huge dividends down the road. Jimmer certainly could do the same. Hopefully he does.

But like the N'Sync, the macarena, and the hula hoop; hype can't make up the difference when something else is lacking. It's up to him to prove to the detractors that his game is the real mania.

• Sacramento Native FAIR OAKS, CA
    June 26, 2011 8:59 p.m.

The NBA is all about filling the seats. Jimmer will fill the seats here in Sacramento. Yes, he will have bring his skill set up to NBA standards - No problem. We are glad to have Jimmer, even if it is only for a year before he becomes one of the Anaheim Royals.

• MenaceToSociety Draper, UT
    June 26, 2011 7:37 p.m.

Seeing Fredette holding a Kings jersey rather than a Jazz jersey is a beautiful thing! I'm excited for the Burks and Kanter picks, but I'm equally happy the Jazz didn't get Fredette. Great college player does not equal great pro. Just ask JJ Redick, Mateen Cleaves, Adam Morrison, Steve Alford, and countless others. College does not equal NBA.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    June 26, 2011 7:22 p.m.

"and that Jimmer will be named to the all-rookie team."

true blew,

As the 10th pick in the draft he better be...or be considered one of the biggest bust in NBA history.

Even old Adam Morrison made the rookie team.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    June 26, 2011 7:07 p.m.

"Larry Bird had his critics, too. And John Stockton??? Remember?"

TomCA,

Adam Morrison had his critics too..... remember?

• IndianaCoug Bloomington, IN
    June 26, 2011 7:01 p.m.

RE: MiP

Would you mind clarifying your "cult" comments? Are you referring to star NBA player groupies or simply trying to bash a geographic region/religion? Either way your comments make little sense. To illustrate I'll remind you of the ESPN headline for the day following the draft: "Irving 1/Williams 2/Fredette 10".
    Actually, you might wan to go to the ESPN website right now... The Jimmer has his own section of the NBA tab of the website and his name is in more headlines than the #1 pick. Maybe all real sports fans should consider themselves part of this "cult" you're talking about.

• Daveman Pleasant Grove, UT
    June 26, 2011 6:51 p.m.

Everybody is a fan. Everybody is a critic. Can we let them just play already...hopefully on time and without a long lockout. What worries me is not whether Jimmer has skills (he does)or if he can play at the pro level (he undoubtedly can)but whether or not he landed on a team that will help further his development. Lots of ball-hogs on Sacto. Without serious coaching his growth and development could be stunted on that team. Evans and Cousins might be difficult teammates when it comes to running pro style sets, passing and sharing the ball, etc. Remember, even hall of fame studs like John and Karl took good fundamental coaching and development as well as their own skills and work ethic to get where they are now. Will Jimmer get that in Sacto?

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    June 26, 2011 6:49 p.m.

@ daddman,

What, there's life outside of Jimmermania?

Who knew?

@ morganh,

I think they're evil twins.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    June 26, 2011 6:27 p.m.

Larry Bird had his critics, too. And John Stockton??? Remember?

• simply me SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    June 26, 2011 6:14 p.m.

What is a hedgehog? Is that something you find on the side of the road?

• Tyler Holladay, UT
    June 26, 2011 6:08 p.m.

goodDr

That is exactly the mentality I am talking about. Because I am not an NBA scout, my opinion is no longer allowed? Isn't discussing and giving opinions part of the appeal of sports? Of course I am not an expert, but I feel like I watch enough basketball and read enough of those who ARE paid to make those judgements to make some of my own.

What scout are you? What gives you the "credentials" to undermine my views? Your pro Jimmer opinions hold as much weight as my marginal-Jimmer opinions.

If you want some expert opinions, most that I have read believe the Kings did the worst out of any team in the draft.

Also, not one of the players drafted this year will be Hall of Fame caliber. I don't even think any will be regular all stars. I do think this draft was full of players teams could use in a rotation who will contribute and fill certain needs. Similar to JJ Barrea on Dallas.

I, along with you, will probably forget about these posts in the next couple of days.

• morganh Orem, Utah
    June 26, 2011 5:59 p.m.

Starfarer
    My sentiments exactly. I don't know if it was you but we also found out that hedgehog and chris b are the same person.

• SportsCenter Olympus Cove, Utah
    June 26, 2011 5:57 p.m.

MiP

So, what distinguishes the Jimmer "cult", from the Stockton and Mailman "cults"?

Jimmer accomplished far more in college than either one of Utah's "statues".

And, the excitement produced by Jimmer's game is lightyears ahead of anything Stockton or Malone did in college. Jimmermania exists because of the way Jimmer plays, not because of the hype from Jimmer fans.

• mgr63 DALLAS, TX
    June 26, 2011 5:54 p.m.

I like Jimmer!

• daddman Farmington, UT
    June 26, 2011 5:54 p.m.

Nothing but good words for the young man himself, he clearly has skills and more importantly his head on straight, but some of you Jimmerttes need to get a life.

• SportsCenter Olympus Cove, Utah
    June 26, 2011 5:37 p.m.

Prediction:

Jimmer NBA jerseys will outsell Kantor and Burks NBA jerseys COMBINED ten-to-one next season.

• LonestarRunner Salt Lake City, UT
    June 26, 2011 5:26 p.m.

Utah Jazz fan Chris

"Its stupid that people think that its the end of the world just because utah didn't get ONE PLAYER!"

What's stupid is thinking that NOT picking ONE PLAYER couldn't be franchise altering.

How would Bulls/NBA history have changed if Portland had picked Michael Jordan, instead of Sam Bowie? Or Jazz/Mavericks history, if Dallas had picked John Stockton instead of Terrance Stansbury? Or Jazz/Spurs history, if the Jazz had picked Alfredrick Hughes instead of Karl Malone?

No, none of those changes would have been the "end of the world", but any one of those changes could have SIGNIFICANTLY changed Jazz history.

At this point, nobody knows how the NBA careers of any of this year's draftees will turn out, but if Jimmer turns out to be another Stockton or Nash, the Jazz will never hear the end of it.

Opinions of the Jimmer lovers are just as valid as the Jimmer naysayers/haters.

fyi, Chris, many Jimmer fans are first and foremost, BYU fans; the Jazz are meerly a team of casual interest for some of them, and the Jazz just lost a good portion of those fans.

• goodDr. sandy, UT
    June 26, 2011 4:36 p.m.

Tyler,
    it is a good thing that you are not sold on Jimmer making it in the NBA. Please tell me which team you are the head scout for and I will really be amused if they were one of the 9 teams that passed on Jimmer. Otherwise, you and your opinions are just that, your opinion. In the opinion of others, jimmer's skills will translate into the NBA. Please tell me which player you will guarantee me that their skills will translate into a hall of fame career in this years draft. Pick wisely. What you post will be remembered.

• Moracle Blackshear, GA
    June 26, 2011 4:18 p.m.

I'm encouraged by the comments of those who expect Jimmer to fail, as well as those who love Jimmer, but don't expect him to amount to much in the NBA.

Why am I encouraged?

Because those who know Jimmer, know that comments like that send him soaring high enough to exceed all expectations.

Dissers, Thanks for fanning the Jimmer flame!!!

• Utah Jazz fan Chris Clearfield, UT
    June 26, 2011 4:00 p.m.

wowwwww! Its stupid that people think that its the end of the world just because utah didn't get ONE PLAYER! Go ahead, be a sacramento fan but when jazz have sucess don't jump back to the jazz wagon just stay at your precious jimmer sacramento wagon!

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    June 26, 2011 3:39 p.m.

"...been in some situations where some of my players have had cult followings before."

---Coach Westphal

So he sees Jimmer's followers as a cult.

No surprise.

The hero worship was at fever pitch this past Winter in the Marriot Center. Now it's onto the Kings bandwagon. Soon "Jimmer" or "James (aka Jimmer)" will be in the top 5 of Utah baby names.

There's a lot of hype with this pick. Hopefully he lives up to it. Would hate to see the cult disappointed.

• CaliCougar Claremont, California
    June 26, 2011 2:11 p.m.

Just an FYI to the writer of this article that Marcus Thornton averaged 12.8 ppg last year....

• TrueBlue Orem, UT
    June 26, 2011 1:35 p.m.

hedgehog

yeah, yeah

And, I'm sure that Jimmer will be a starter for the Kings in his rooke season, that the Kings will finish with a better winning percentage than they had last season, and that Jimmer will be named to the all-rookie team.

Mark it down!

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    June 26, 2011 1:14 p.m.

It appears that no matter how much success Jimmer achieves, there will always be those who will never ever give him any credit at all. There's nothing I would love to see more than for Jimmer to prove them wrong and become a huge success in the pros just like he did in college. Most especially, I hope he becomes a huge success with the Kings, if nothing else, just to prove his haters wrong and silence a lot of his critics, not that they give a darn anyhow. They will always hate him regardless! As for being a hall of famer one day, I think it's way too soon to even mention that but with Jimmer's attitude, work ethic, and determination, I wouldn't even put that beyond him. Only time will tell!

• Osgrath Provo, UT
    June 26, 2011 12:34 p.m.

Funny how peoples' passions cause them to go all out in one direction or another and forget all about balance. Some see Jimmer as the second coming of MJ, and others see him as a total bust. What is more likely is that he will have a solid if unspectacular career.

His level-headedness and work ethic increase the probability that he will survive in the league. We have seen enough first round picks in Utah that never panned out and in most cases they were either head cases (Luther Wright, anyone?), incomprehensibly bad picks (Walter Palmer) or not coachable (Kirk Snyder).

Occasionally a selfish, emotionally imbalanced player can stick with the league through talent alone, but that wouldn't be Jimmer - his talents are limited enough that he will need all the abilities of his mind and determination to make it.

The big question is how far that will take it, and that is something no body knows yet.

• bballjunkie Cedar Hills, UT
    June 26, 2011 10:27 a.m.

Can't wait to purchase the Jimmer jersey.

• Tyler Holladay, UT
    June 26, 2011 10:26 a.m.

Why do Jimmer lovers thing those that criticize him hate him? It is really simple to why I am not sold on him; I do not think his skills will transition to the NBA. At least not at the same level as his college game was. I do not hate him, I hope he does well. I really believe most critics do not hate him, but Jimmer worshipers do not accept any critiques on his game. I agree with hedgehog, the Kings will still be in turmoil next year.

Jimmer will not be a star or hall of famer. I put his ceiling at a rich man's JJ Barrea. Trust me, there are much worse things to be than that. That would mean he would have a solid career by finding a nice area to fill for a team.

• BigRich Orem, UT
    June 26, 2011 10:18 a.m.

There is one reality now, what you did in the past got you where you are. But you do in the future will determine if you stay. Jimmer has to produce. But once he finds his role with the Kings and settles in, I believe he's going to be a solid addition to their team. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out. This much is obvious, he will do all he can, give all he can, and care all he can to make it happen. There will always be the detractors, the ones that belittle. They are not true sports fans who love the game and respect it regardless of who the player or the team is.

• JustAnotherName Alpine, UT
    June 26, 2011 10:09 a.m.

Starfarer

Well said ...

• Doctor J Manti, UT
    June 26, 2011 10:07 a.m.

Go Jimmer!

• Starfarer Mesa, AZ
    June 26, 2011 9:31 a.m.

Hedge

What is your point?

You dislike Jimmer? Message received.

You hate BYU? Got it.

You dislike Mormons. Yeah for you.

The real question is why? Why do you even care?

Momma always told me, if you can't say anything nice, say nothing at all.

It would be different if you actually had something to say except that you hate BYU and you want Jimmer to fail.

Have you ever acknowledged Jimmer for what he's accomplished?

See there's the difference. You just hate.

The Kings were happy to select Jimmer 10th, and frankly they have a more level head, clear thinking, and are not tainted by hate. So if you don't mind, I will go with those who are actually paid to have an opinion.

Not you.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    June 26, 2011 9:14 a.m.

Another great hall of famer wore #7.

I hope big brother TJ will execute another contract with Jimmer:

"I, Jimmer Fredette will do whatever it takes to be inducted into the NBA hall of fame one day."

• shaybo Richfield, UT
    June 26, 2011 9:02 a.m.

Prediction: NBA League Pass package sales will more than double in the state of Utah when and if we have a season. The one and only reason....to follow Jimmer....I will still be a Jazz fan but if he's in the 3 guard rotation which is the word coming out of Sacramento, I will be watching every game I can.

• Honor Code Denver, Colorado
    June 26, 2011 8:24 a.m.

Well, I'm no Fredette fan, but I will give kudos to the kid for not walking around as if he's the KING!!!

• Starfarer Mesa, AZ
    June 26, 2011 8:23 a.m.

I find it interesting that people out there cannot accept what Jimmer has done. So before they get on here let me say first...

Yes, he is that good.

Yes. he was taken as a lottery pick and in the top ten.

Yes, he can and will play defense. If you are still a naysayer about this point let me ask... Do you thin he doesn't have the ability? Look at the combine report. Do you think he doesn't have the heart? How can you question this kids heart? That's just silly. Do you think he doesn't have the will? Have you ever seen him work out? I have. No questions.

Yes, he has the potential to start. All this stuff that he isn't good enough is inane, stupid and silly. there is no argument that you have that isn't countered by examples that are now successful in the NBA, or in drafts this season that are slower, smaller, and didn't win POY.

What really cracks me up is the vitriol of people who just wish him to fail. Why? what's in it for you? What do want him to NOT succeed?

Give it a rest.