Sports

Utah Jazz: Enes Kanter, Alec Burks introduced to local media

Comments

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    June 28, 2011 5:58 p.m.

the question is...by drafting burks..does this mean...Hayward would move to 3?...or is Burks the future Big PG...who knows...Burks could be like Penny Hardaway during Penny's prime...that's scary...6'6 PG...6'9 SG...if we landed Perry Jones next year...we would've had a 6'9 SF 6'10PF and a 6'11 C...we would create mismatches almost every where...lol...i think if you put things to perspective...Utah Jazz...is the scariest team right now...we maybe young...but once everyone got together...scary...maybe now is our time...see it...believe it...and it will happen

• Captain L Provo, UT
    June 27, 2011 1:53 p.m.

You guys are unrealistic about some of these trades being thrown out here. As good as CPaul is he won't want to come to Utah and he wouldn't want to stay if he was traded. There is no way Det. is going to trade Knight, your reading into things too much to say he wants out of Det. he was just disapointed he slipped to the 8th pick in the draft when he thought he may go 3rd or 5th at worst. Another thing is we don't need anymore 2's, we don't need Hamilton or Roy(bad knees), we need 3's not 2's, Hayward, & CJ are best at the 2, Burks is a 2, (may be able to play some 1). Come up with sugestions that are reasonable and fill our needs.
    I like Goran Dragic as a back up to Harris, but how to get him is the question.
    I don't know if we will see Paul or Big Al traded until Favors and Kanter prove they can carry the scoring load that would be left if either Paul or Big Al were traded. I'd like to see us make a move to get Granger.

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    June 26, 2011 10:52 a.m.

Memo's stock for the jazz...rose up a bit...i mean...he would be teaching Kanter...i hope...a different guy would teach Kanter regarding defense...but...having someone to talk to...using your native language...speeds things up....how bout trading for...jeff teague?...or DJ augustine?...or we could sign Goran Dragic...probably offer millsap to phx for aaron brooks?...i hope Kanter and Favors gets at least 20 mins of playing time...the best way to improve is to play...said that all year last year...when many of you Hayward doubters blasting him with negative comments...look at the end of the season...he torched denver with 34 or 36 points...was clutch during the Lakers game...the team we'll only get better...i sure hope...KOC has a long term plan...getting the core of this team under contract for the years to come...after 2-3 years...our team is scary good...

• ed Los Olivos, CA
    June 26, 2011 10:39 a.m.

Chewbacca:
    Thanks for saying it. Nobody is taking Bell. The Jazz cannot pay anyone to take him. I wish we could quit hearing that suggestion.

And no team is going to take Memo off of the Jazz hands, until he proves he is healthy. And, if he is healthy, he is still the Jazz best center. He is staying, if only to be Kanter's buddy.

Now, here is some blasphemy: With the log jam at 4, the best commodities appear to be Milsap and AJ. I would hope they could get some great value from AJ. But the next option: get almost any player in the league for Favors. Miami would probably give up their favorite guard to get Favors. Heck, Chicago might give up Rose. While this is some hyperbole, the guy is worth a ton on the trade market.

• Anonigma Murray, UT
    June 25, 2011 7:55 p.m.

Big Al's staying. He's got 2 years.
    I don't see Kanter or Favors making immediate impact. They have to be slowly brought up which is why I think Memo is staying as well. (Although Favors might start getting major minutes)

Not sure about Memo, but he'll be a good mentor for Kanter. You really want to grow these rookies in instead of throwing them into the fire....which is also why I feel bad for Jimmer.

Bell's washed up, but his locker room impact and mentoring skills are needed. It'd be really neat if the Jazz get Knight, but I don't see it happening after draft night.

• Jazz-Nation Lehi, UT
    June 25, 2011 5:40 p.m.

You may be right about RIP being washed up, but Detroit has what we want, and we have what Detroit wants. I don't like playing the virtual G.M roll, but I don't want to see Bell starting for the Jazz another season, he is washed up.

Is it worth it for the Jazz to keep Memo and his 10 million dollar contract?

Is it worth it to keep AJ, or Big Al? That takes minutes away from Kanter and Favors?

• Anonigma Murray, UT
    June 25, 2011 5:24 p.m.

@Jazz-Nation

Hamilton's done man. If not, he doesn't have the tenacity he used to have.
    I believe the Jazz were talking about trading Harris and 12th pick to get Knight, but it wasn't meant to be.

Detroit never worked out Knight, so I'm pretty sure, had a trade worked out, that Knight was supposed to be for Jazz.

Afflalo will be the best pickup if the Jazz can get him. I also think Jazz should keep Bell so that he can mentor Burks

• Jazz-Nation Lehi, UT
    June 25, 2011 2:38 p.m.

Trade thought. Milsap/Memo for Hamilton and Knight. I love Milsap, but we would get scoring/defense from Rip and a mentor for Burks, and our future PG that could back up Harris. Both Knight and Hamilton want out of Detroit. Knight was not happy about being drafted by Detroit. We need Kanter and Favors to be able to get the minutes they will need to improve. What a solid Playoff rotation that would be.

PG-Harris, Knight
    SG-Rip Hamilton, Burks
    SF-Air Gordon, Evans
    PF/C-Favors, Kanter, Big Al
    This would make our core, and everyone else would be fillers and roll players.
    Any thoughts?

• NDenverUte BRIGHTON, CO
    June 25, 2011 11:39 a.m.

I'm happy with the Jazz picks, would have liked to see a point guard taken. But a true Center and an athletic 2 guard will help. Hopefully Harris re-motivates himself to becoming what everyone thought he could be when he was drafted 5 or 6 years ago, and we can find a nice back-up in free agency.

• NDenverUte BRIGHTON, CO
    June 25, 2011 11:36 a.m.

Jimmer reminds me alot of a shorter Adam Morrison. He didn't last too long in the NBA, and I have a feeling that Jimmer won't either.

• jazzfan86 American Fork, UT
    June 25, 2011 11:31 a.m.

Next moves Jazz should make. Trade Millsap and Harris and their Golden State 1st rounder for next year and another 1st rounder for CP3. You put a veteran point who distributes and the Jazz will be in contention for the title next year. The only problem is that they'd need CP3 to agree to a contract extension of some sort. He may only want to go to a big market which would mess this whole thing up. Sign Affalo from Denver and you're set.

PG: Paul, Watson (Re-sign)
    SG: Affalo, Bell, Burks
    SF: Hayward, Miles (Pick up option)
    PF: Jefferson, Favors, Evans
    C: Okur, Kanter

• JBQ Saint Louis, MO
    June 25, 2011 11:03 a.m.

It's all in Corbin's hands.

• Chewbacca Magna, UT
    June 25, 2011 8:21 a.m.

A guy walks into a pawn shop and tells the owner, "Hey mister, I got this box of odds and ends, pieces and parts. Most of them don't work, but if you got someone handy with fixin stuff, I'm sure they'd be real valuable. I'd like to trade all this stuff for that Corvette you drive."

No one is going to trade for Raja Bell after the season he had last year!

• Jesse Tooele, UT
    June 25, 2011 12:14 a.m.

9er4life: He may turn into a good player but I don't think he'll have a chance at the ROY, I don't think he'll even start unless Detroit starts trading away guards. Before the draft I thought Knight had a great attitude and great maturity, but he didn't show any of that after dropping to 8th. He looked shell shocked and not real enthused about his new situation. I guess we'll see.

Mema: "Why on earth would you pass up Jimmer? That's why the Jazz won't win any championships!" Your comments show your knowledge of the game and therefore you should not post anymore. I guess the Jazz passed on him but there isn't a team in the league that would've taken him at 3, in fact Sacramento traded back because they knew they could still get him where they did. I hope he has a great career and proves all of his critics wrong (Colin Cowherd especially), but if the Jazz don't win a Championship during Jimmer's career, I doubt it will be because they passed on him.

• 9er4life Provo, UT
    June 24, 2011 11:34 p.m.

When Knight was available at the 8th spot, I was hoping the jazz would trade up to get him. Kanter and Knight would have been sweet. The maturity level of Knight at 19 is incredible. I think he's going to be the ROY with Detroit. He's more proven than Irving who went at 1.

• Wombat1247 Mount Beauty, VIC
    June 24, 2011 10:49 p.m.

At one time could we see this young athletic line up

1. Burks - 6.6
    2. Hayward - 6.8
    3. Evans - 6.9
    4. Favors - 6.10
    5. Kanter - 6.11

Nice - will be after 2 years developing together - this would create some match up problems

• Wombat1247 Mount Beauty, VIC
    June 24, 2011 10:40 p.m.

Happy with picks, just need to make a couple of trades & the Jazz will be back in the hunt for finals within 2 seasons

Players for trade - Memo, CJ (after option is picked up), Bell (a must) & Milsap or AJ - which everone will accept the back role for Kanter & Favors.

• GoodGuyGary Houston, TX
    June 24, 2011 9:34 p.m.

You trust who? Jalen Rose? He is probably the worst analyst around...

• SoCalUtahFan Utesville, CA
    June 24, 2011 8:18 p.m.

I like their choices.

For what it's worth, Jalen Rose of ESPN also thinks Utah has the best draft...

Go Jazz!
    Makes playoff next year!

• BillM75 Salt Lake City, UT
    June 24, 2011 8:08 p.m.

Jazz can't trade Fes, Elson & Price as all are free agents.

One thing is for sure, were Sloan still around the Jazz absolutely would've taken Knight and Leonard/Singleton, and maybe he'd've been right. Let's check back in three years.

• OrlandoJazzFan Winter Springs, FL
    June 24, 2011 7:57 p.m.

@ Black Shirts
    Remind me how you "trade" a free agent? Fes, Elson and Price are all gone to FA. We will not resign them. We are stuck with Bell for now and hopefully they will pick up CJ's contract... He can't shoot? Not consistently but when he is on he is on!!!

We do need to resign Watson who is also a free agent.

• thebigcougar LAYTON, UT
    June 24, 2011 7:55 p.m.

The Jazz did ok. Now they will have to see who they can trade and who they can pick up in free agency. They have the makings of a good team. Burks has good stats like shooting 60% his freshman year and has great potential. I hope things work out for Kanter and Burks. We should have two good players for a long time.

• thebigcougar LAYTON, UT
    June 24, 2011 7:41 p.m.

I was happy with the draft. The Jazz tried to move up to number two and get Williams, a great shooter, but couldn't. They got Kanter who was highly sought after and should turn out to be a good player. They tried to move up from number 12, but couldn't. If it had happened they probably would have taken Knight. Wouldn't that have been lovely. The order of the draft after Knight went Walker, Jimmer, Tray Thonmpson, Burks. I would have liked Tray Thompson over Jimmer, but it would have been difficult between Jimmer and Burks. The Jazz did not have to make that decision and got a great player. I wish Jimmer well in Sacramento. The brass love him there and he might be a better fit in Sacramento. The Jazz did as well as they could and I am excited to see them play. Go Jazz

• Johnson72 Salt Lake City, UT
    June 24, 2011 7:27 p.m.

Step off LeBron, The new utah jazz are going to meet Ya"ll in the NBA Finals 2012

• Black Shirts South Jordan, UT
    June 24, 2011 7:25 p.m.

For the Jazz sake, they sould trade Fesenko, Bell, Elson, and Price for a new popcorn maker.

Bell is DONE!
    Fes is worthless!
    Elson is almost as bad as Fes!
    Price can't shoot!
    CJ can't shoot!
    Harris is the worst Defensive player in the league. Ok, maybe Boozer!

Drop some dead weight and get 1 shooter.

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    June 24, 2011 6:58 p.m.

mema

Jimmermania is over.

If Sac had the #1 pick, do you think they would have picked up Jimmer? I really doubt it. O'connor got the best talent available at 3. They actually tried to trade up a bit to get Jimmer but is was not to be.

Kanter is a beast with talent. You don't pass that up.

• SloanHater Farmingtown, IL
    June 24, 2011 6:54 p.m.

MiP

Actually only the following players are under contract for next year:

PG: Harris
    SG: Bell, Burks
    SF: Hayward, Evans
    PF: Millsap, Favors, Okur
    C: Big Al, Kanter

I would love to see AK and Fes brought back at a reasonable price. I know people aren't high on Fes, but there aren't many 7 ft 300 pounders out there.

The Jazz need a backup PG and a shooter and as much as I like CJ and Price I don't think they'll be back. (It's a shame the Jazz gave Maynor away to get under the cap. He'd be a great backup PG for this team.)

I really like Shannon Brown and hope he opts out of his last year. He's not really a PG, but he is a great defender and could be paired with Burks to bring the ball up. Redd is another great free agent option.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    June 24, 2011 6:26 p.m.

So Far:

F: Favors, Elson, Millsap, Evans
    F: Kirilenko, Hayward, Miles
    C: Jefferson, Okur, Kanter, Fesenko
    G: Burks, Bell,
    G: Harris, Watson, Price

Who's going to be gone by season's start?

• SloanHater Farmingtown, IL
    June 24, 2011 6:20 p.m.

How refreshing to hear a Jazz Coach say that rookies will have the chance to play if they work hard. I'm still not sold on Corbin, but at least he recognizes the need to play the best talent.

I am still perplexed as to why many people are calling Burks the next Brewer.

I didn't see many Colorado games, but the ones I did left me impressed with Burks. Jazz fans should go back and look at how many close games Colorado had, and won, against top 25 teams. Burks always stepped his game up against Kansas, Texas, etc.

Burks carried that team. He led his team in points and assists while being second in rebounds. He got to the line more often than Jimmer and shot a high percent. He can handle the ball and get into the lane at will. If he can improve his 3pt consistency and work at defense, the Jazz will have a legit starting SG for a long time.

• Moderate Salt Lake City, UT
    June 24, 2011 6:03 p.m.

National Media:
    Utah should walk away very satisfied with the talent that they picked up in the draft. They maximized both picks extremely well and are our biggest winners on draft night.

Locals:
    We didn't get Jimmer. Draft grade "F".

• Mema Fruit Heights, Ut
    June 24, 2011 5:57 p.m.

The point of the game is to score the most points! Note to Jazz: whoever scores the most points, WINS! Why on earth would you pass up Jimmer? That's why the Jazz won't win any championships! Who get's a great draft pick draft pick and passes up on Jimmer? Not a smart choice!

• Old Timer the boonies, mexico
    June 24, 2011 5:31 p.m.

Either get on board and wish all the "very" best fans or go somewhere else. Afterall the draft is now history and everyone must live with what we have. I feel extremely positive about the future for this franchise and will back them 100%. It matters very little which numbers they want to wear, I want to see effort, desire, and a will to win. Good luck men!

• 1984 for life Salt Lake City, UT
    June 24, 2011 5:13 p.m.

Now sign Jason Richardson as the starting shooting guard and the Jazz are back in the playoffs.

• JeffE Grantsville, UT
    June 24, 2011 4:34 p.m.

@JazzMan - that was my first thought too!

I'm excited about Kanter but a bit worried about Burks. He might just be out of his element with the media right now, bit I'm nervous about an immaturity problem like we saw with Snyder and other very young draftees. Hopefully he'll shine and be great. In another interview he referred to his mom keeping him in line, so hopefully he has a good foundation from home.

• JazzMan Centerville, UT
    June 24, 2011 4:13 p.m.

Kanter wears 0? Interesting, I hope he's a little better then a guy that wore 00 for the Jazz