Sports

Utah Jazz notebook: You can never have enough big men, says Kevin O'Connor

Comments

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    June 24, 2011 9:03 p.m.

Just find 3 awesome bigs-- really big bigs-- who can play (hopefully Kantor becomes one of these), and 2 Jimmers, and you're good to go!

Imagine that-- 3 Kantors and 2 Jimmers all on the same team. Of course, they will need backups.

• scalman Temecula, CA
    June 24, 2011 8:21 p.m.

@Doug10

I did notice too that Fes wasn't mentioned in the article, but as long as it was the writer Hollis and not KOC then it probably doesn't mean anything. I hope he stays. Like I said way back in the spring sometime, he better be shooting free throws every day. That's what kept him off the court last year before his string of injuries happened. Good luck, Fes...hope you stay with Jazz.

Posters that are worried about lack of 3pt shooting improvement...don't forget that Kanter can hit from long range. He might not get a lot of minutes his first year, but he will be a threat from the arc when in there.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    June 24, 2011 6:21 p.m.

WhatsInItForMe: As much as I would have loved to have Jimmer on the Jazz so we could have watched him develop and seen how he could have helped the Jazz , I'm happy for him, Sac. should be a great spot for him, they traded away their point Udrich and Jimmer could start or at lesat get alot of playing time.

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    June 24, 2011 6:08 p.m.

As much as I wanted Jimmer with the Jazz, they couldn't pass up Kanter. You don't get opportunities with that kind of big man very often.

Just sad they couldn't figure out a way to move up that 12th pick. I'm sure the Jazz are disappointed, too, but they must move on.

Let's hope Kanter jells faster than expected. With Memo's help (language, another center, etc.), and with the fact that the Jazz are into a rebuilding stage, Kanter could get into the rotation fairly quickly.

• Ak Fan Hamburg, GE
    June 24, 2011 6:03 p.m.

Millsap is odd man out

• LAJazzFan Los Angeles, CA
    June 24, 2011 2:37 p.m.

The Jazz have the following 10 players under contract for next year at a cost of about $58M-
    AJ, Okur, Kanter
    Millsap, Favors, Evans
    Hayward
    Bell, Burks
    Harris.

With 3-4 players to add, don't expect too much given where they are financially, barring a trade.

Hopefully there will be a full season this year as I am looking forward to seeing how this teams comes together.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    June 24, 2011 1:01 p.m.

Hansborough was Big East player of the yr. , my mistake.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    June 24, 2011 12:11 p.m.

I think the Jazz like Evans and will keep him for another yr or two, he is doing the Utah Jazz, Jr Jazz tour , he has been working out and I read one comment that he looked good, maybe alittle more muscle. I think he is supposed to work on his skills to play more at the 3, I hope that is what ends up happening, he would be great if he could play the 3, long, athletic, quick, good defender, his shot is OK, he just needs confidence and he needs to be able to put the ball on the floor and attack, if he can he'll be fine.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    June 24, 2011 12:06 p.m.

Doug: Fes is a free agent and can sign with whom ever he wants and gets an offer from.
    Elson is a free agent, probably not to be resigned.
    Price and Watson could be resigned, how long big question. Maybe the Jazz will look to free agents or unsigned rookies. I wouldn't mind if they bring in the kid from Utah State (played in Europe, did great over there)(drawing a blank on his name), bring in Tyler Hansborough's brother, 6'3 point, good shooter, Big 10 player of the yr. He wasn't drafted. Though like his brother.
    If we could get AK back for cheap , that would be good. Since we don't have any real 3's.
    I hope this CBA gets worked out soon, that is the frustrating thing at the moment.

• President Joker Washington, DC
    June 24, 2011 10:58 a.m.

I'd rather have watson than price.

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    June 24, 2011 9:32 a.m.

I think Scott Layden made the same comment about never having enough big men right after he drafted Walter Palmer and Jose Ortiz. I'm not suggesting that this will happen, but let's hope history does not repeat itself.

• EJM Herriman, UT
    June 24, 2011 9:19 a.m.

Great pickup by Kevin O'Connor. The man and his staff are not done yet. Fes will be gone. Elson and his contract gone in a trade of some sort. Evans gone unless his outside shot improves. Ronnie Price will be back. Andrei will be back. Hoping that they convince Bell to come back as a coach and retire as a player. But with his recent comments about the NBA owners that does not look good.

• Doug10 Roosevelt, UT
    June 24, 2011 7:41 a.m.

Did anyone else notice when the list of bigs was mentioned in this article it did not mention Fes?

Is he small or is he gone? I prefer to think he will be taking his free throw shooting abilities or lack thereof (thank you Hornacek)to other teams now. Houston is desperately looking for a big. Perhaps the Jazz could do a sign and trade and throw in Raja's contract.

Once the Jazz went and worked Kanter out there was never a word from them, in this case their silence was deafening.

What is to become of Evans?

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    June 24, 2011 12:59 a.m.

The Jazz still need outside shooting which I expect KOC to address via trades.

They also need better scoring efficiency and defense which I expect Corbin to address via some changes in the shot selection and minutes of certain players and in the basic approach to the defense.