Utah

Mormon 101: A quiz for the 'Mormon Moment'

Comments

• Major Bidamon Birmingham, AL
    June 25, 2011 1:20 p.m.

One Rated G song? Really? Try "Hello", "Two by Two", "You and Me", "I Am Here for You", and "I Am Africa". All kid safe.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    June 24, 2011 12:14 p.m.

"3. "Catholic church" has no relation at all to the Roman Catholic Church you are familiar with. It didn't exist when the creed was written despite the modern RC claim to papal succession from Peter. "Catholic church" in the creed is the equivalent of the LDS "one true church.""

To add on that, when I was a Methodist we still used the Apostles creed and there was an asterisk by the word Catholic for a footnote that said "universal".

• New Yorker Pleasant Grove, UT
    June 23, 2011 5:59 p.m.

LDSareChristians

You are being unknowledgeably picky for an ancient document.

1. The King James version says "that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost" in Matthew 1:20. "Holy Ghost" is translated from Greek "pneuma." One meaning for that is "the spirit, i.e. the vital principal by which the body is animated; the rational spirit, the power by which the human being feels, thinks, decides; the soul." You can't expect 21 Century concepts in ancient documents.

2. The same is true of "hell." You can't expect a restoration version of the concept. Read Acts 2:27-31. "Hell" is translated from the Greek "hades" meaning "the underworld." Even the LDS didn't get all this clarified until 1918 by Joseph F. Smith. See D&C 138.

You are wrong in your conclusions that we do not believe the concepts in the Apostles Creed.

• LDSareChristians Anchorage, AK
    June 23, 2011 4:39 p.m.

New Yorker

I examined the "Apostles Creed" at wiki. I have heart burn with three statements: "conceived by the Holy Spirit" "descended into hell" "I beleive in ..... the Holy Catholic Church". The rest of that Creed I can go along with.

Christ was God's son, not the Holy Spirit's.

Christ went to Paradise/Spirit prison during three days between his death and resurrection.

And I don't beleive the Catholic Church is Christ's true authoritive church here on earth.

So, it's only those three points we differ from the Catholics, far as the Apostles Creed is concerned.

• Serenity Manti, UT
    June 23, 2011 2:07 p.m.

Just not fair. My husband and I took the quiz and I actually got one wrong because I didn't read the whole question about the missionaries while HE got 100%. It is a good article from Des News. I hope the BOM musical will eventually serve as a missionary tool.

• ST Layton, UT
    June 23, 2011 10:30 a.m.

Huffington Post- lol- really - I wouldn't trust anything I read at that site.

• New Yorker Pleasant Grove, UT
    June 23, 2011 8:37 a.m.

Comment at end of article: "Question #8 was updated to clarify that the LDS understanding of the Godhead is differentiated from the traditional Christian Trinity."

They still got it wrong. The LDS indeed differ from the Catholics and Protestants, but they cannot claim to be "traditional Christianity". If one goes directly to the Christian writings of the 1-3 Centuries, one will find that those Christians would generally agree with the LDS concept of the Godhead. The LDS beliefs are consistent with the Apostle's Creed still recited weekly in many Catholic and Protestant churches, but it is not consistent with the later Nicene Creed.

• Spikey Layton, UT
    June 23, 2011 7:13 a.m.

JunkGeek: LOL!

I always laugh at these so-called "respected" media sources when they don't bother to look at the style guide (I learned to do that in Journalism 101 at Weber State!).

I don't trust most of the media because they can't even get their simple facts straight. (Tabernacle or Temple? Gee, LOOK IT UP ON THE NET in 2 seconds, you might find the answer!) That would be TIME magazines mistake a few years back, by the way.

• junkgeek Agua Dulce, TX
    June 22, 2011 11:47 p.m.

I don't care if it's correct or not, I always use a capital D. It just looks better.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    June 22, 2011 8:54 p.m.

@hatumai

In my defense I look at huffingtonpost a lot anyway so I would've gotten to it eventually.

• hatumai Holladay, UT
    June 22, 2011 7:14 p.m.

I hope a bunch of mormons don't go and drive up the numbers. This quiz is meant to reflect the American public, not the Utah public.

• lsteinbentley South Jordan, UT
    June 22, 2011 6:55 p.m.

That last sentence is hilarious! I laughed out loud picturing those two irreverent guys in suits and white shirts preaching the gospel on a NYC street corner. I would love to see their faces when they realize that instead of making mormons look like complete fools, they are getting people to ask questions and learn about the gospel just like to real LDS missionaries. Awesome.